• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

CaptainABAB

While that's true that win10 on desktop improved tremendously on RTM, it was never as junk as the mobile builds, and more importantly, it didn't launched in a polished state. The mobile build will for sure improve a lot too in the nick of time, but I have my doubts if it will be everything it should be at launch, or just good enough like the desktop rtm was.

And the bigger problem is that it is so much more difficult to push out updates/fixes to the phone OS. So it has to be almost perfect at launch.

NQn7M7H.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
wow, nice demo and presentation. I'm almost certainly coming back to the platform by the end of the year assuming the software isn't a train wreck and there is a guarantee of updates without carrier interference and they happen often like desktop win 10.

Everything looked great. Design was so so, but that display dock functionality speaks to me as a desk jockey who lives in Outlook/Office.

Pricing should have been $450 and $550.

Gimme details though. Pen support for the XL, slo-mo video, availability dates, carrier info, etc.

Milchjon

Hope they'll have a closer look at the Lumias at some point.

Almost looks like Windows 10 Mobile is still not ready to show off.

Or they simply don't care.

Hope they'll have a closer look at the Lumias at some point.

Almost looks like Windows 10 Mobile is still not ready to show off.

Or they simply don't care.
They didn't really talk software much at all. I think the assumption was they would spend some time showing TH2 today.

hwalker84

José Mourinho;180874324 said:
My oh my. Lumia could die at this point and just throw everything at the Surface team.

Pretty much. They have to be working on something in their bunker. Probably just waiting to wake up Lastflowers and get him to finish development for the entire OS.

Paganmoon

Pretty much. They have to be working on something in their bunker. Probably just waiting to wake up Lastflowers and get him to finish development for the entire OS.

lastflowers wouldn't let us buy an inferior device if a Surface Phone was in the making, would he?

Hope the Band 2 and Lumia 950 get released in Europe/Sweden early November before I go on vacation.

The new 950/950 XL hardware looks great, but the fact that they completely ignored the Windows 10 Mobile software with the exception of showing off Continuum is worrying. Either the software isn't in good enough shape to be shown off (Which is bad) or they don't didn't care enough to bother (Which is also bad).

The hardware is great but they're continuing to ignore the software issues of Windows Phone. What if anything are they doing about the app situation? They pretty much ignored it despite the fact that it's a very real issue that people have with WP. The phones really do look great, but I'm not buying another Windows Phone only to have the same app problem I had 2 years ago continue to exist.

The new 950/950 XL hardware looks great, but the fact that they completely ignored the Windows 10 Mobile software with the exception of showing off Continuum is worrying. Either the software isn't in good enough shape to be shown off (Which is bad) or they don't didn't care enough to bother (Which is also bad).

The hardware is great but they're continuing to ignore the software issues of Windows Phone. What if anything are they doing about the app situation? They pretty much ignored it despite the fact that it's a very real issue that people have with WP. The phones really do look great, but I'm not buying another Windows Phone only to have the same app problem I had 2 years ago continue to exist.

I think they realize that the people who like WP already know what it does, and those that don't won't be swayed by it. Continuum, however, is actually a really awesome thing to have, so they show off what's coolest.

Top Bottom