• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Milchjon

A) of course the only one unimpressed is Benedict Evans. Dude tries so fucking hard to be ahead of the curve, it's annoying to watch

B) Wonder how much Sufacebook is gonna kill the sales of the SP4.

I think they realize that the people who like WP already know what it does, and those that don't won't be swayed by it. Continuum, however, is actually a really awesome thing to have, so they show off what's coolest.
Except one thing I keep hearing this year from Windows Phone fans is that if Microsoft doesn't come through with getting new apps on the store they're probably going to go off and buy an iPhone/Android. You're basically saying that they've given up trying to market to new consumers and are instead focusing on the very few users they have left.

hadareud

The Translator
The original rumour was that it wouldn't be ready for launch at all, so Beta is better than nothing, I suppose.

I hope it works ok.

Except one thing I keep hearing this year from Windows Phone fans is that if Microsoft doesn't come through with getting new apps on the store they're probably going to go off and buy an iPhone/Android. You're basically saying that they've given up trying to market to new consumers and are instead focusing on the very few users they have left.

I suppose that's true.

But, they opened up talking about a pretty good group of Universal apps that would work on WP, IIRC. I could only watch chunks of the presentation so I might be mistaken on that.

I just bought a laptop this year :( :( :( :(. I had the opportunity to not buy one once my sp3 was stolen (and insurance reimbursement).

Maybe v2 or v3. Satya, give me a surface book please.

I'm probably going to buy a 550 or a cheap 950 and hope that a surface phone is in the works for next year. Because that's got to be happening, right? Right guys!? Btw, I know jack-shit about surface; their presentations are always new for me.

I'm bummed that the SP4 base model is now 899 instead of 799 and comes with a Core m3 instead of an i3. Now the processor part might not be as bad as it sounds (as the i3 was gimped), but the price doesn't mean anything good for Europe.

Might buy a SP3 instead.

Doffen

Lumia drowned in that event.

I'm bummed that the SP4 base model is not 899 instead of 799 and comes with a Core m3 instead of an i3. Now the processor part might not be as bad as it sounds (as the i3 was gimped), but the price doesn't mean anything good for Europe.

Might buy a SP3 instead.

Let's be real. Microsoft don't give a shit about Europe.

dLMN8R

It's nice that tech writers who are incapable of understanding that other people don't spend all day typing in their laps will have something suitable to them so they can shut the heck up about that part of the Surface Pro 3 :)

I'm bummed that the SP4 base model is now 899 instead of 799 and comes with a Core m3 instead of an i3. Now the processor part might not be as bad as it sounds (as the i3 was gimped), but the price doesn't mean anything good for Europe.

Might buy a SP3 instead.

How does the m3 compare with the last-gen i3/i5 in the Surface Pro 3?

hwalker84

lastflowers wouldn't let us buy an inferior device if a Surface Phone was in the making, would he?

Hope the Band 2 and Lumia 950 get released in Europe/Sweden early November before I go on vacation.

He would if he could but the software team probably has next to no intimate knowledge of upcoming devices. Then even if he could telling us would cost him his job and with him goes the entirety of the Windows Mobile development staff.

Nero3000

The 950 doesnt look so bad in real life. and the XL is only 0.5cm more in each direction....hmmm.

Band 2 looks awesome, OLED and gorilla glass make it. Looking forward to some Lumia + Band promotions.

EDIT: lol, 950/XL exclusive to AT&T...sucks to be american.

EDIT2: 3rd party back plates!
HWaa4oY.jpg

EDIT3: 950 - £450, XL - £550.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hell no. I'm an AT&T customer, but I'm not buying a phone locked to this carrier. Updates will be held up forever if true, forget it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 950 doesnt look so bad in real life. and the XL is only 0.5cm more in each direction....hmmm.

Band 2 looks awesome, OLED and gorilla glass make it. Looking forward to some Lumia + Band promotions.

People can add their premium feel.

Milchjon

Game changer.

Someone make a cyan 830-alike back for the 950.

Is that a metal frame or part of the case?

Milchmann

What's the point of the Lumia 550? It's worse than the 640 in nearly every aspect.
Thinning out the line-up is the right decision, downgrading the entry level model isn't.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, I love Joe and his crazy hair, but after seeing Panos' performance today, I hope they leave him at the kid's corner until they need to talk software.

joshschw

Speaking of Panos, what were they thinking with that lady demoing the new Band?!?

So bored & unenthusiastic... Maybe she really does use this stuff, but her bored talking and super high heels rather belied that...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Panos, what were they thinking with that lady demoing the new Band?!?

So bored & unenthusiastic... Maybe she really does use this stuff, but her bored talking and super high heels rather belied that...

She just ran a marathon, give her a break.

NeOak

In on a sp4 (i5/8gb/256), especially considering my sp2 literally bricked yesterday...
My SP2 has the annoying random reboot and I think I finally figured hours to trigger it with the type cover so I can take it to the MS store and ask for another one
before the 2 years of the extended warranty are over

I'd rather take another SP2 than a SP3. I can't have it throttling when I'm working on heavy stuff >.>

Milchjon

Motherfucking Tom Warren made a Twitter account @sp4specs in mid-August and tweeted the SP4 specs.

No one found it.

Wonder if that goes over well.

She literally made me go order a fitbit. =)

(she didn't help, but the $249 did)
The $249 price tag for what is very much an incremental improvement is pretty baffling.

The MS Health app has been updated on WP 8.1 today for current Band users btw (actually includes sensible UI scaling for my 1520 now!)
Motherfucking Tom Warren made a Twitter account @sp4specs in mid-August and tweeted the SP4 specs.

No one found it.

Yeah, I just saw that. Kinda funny

The new Lumias exclusive to AT&T is a failing of the highest order. Let the death march begin. Is it reasonable to think that there may be variants coming to other carriers?

hadareud

The Translator

No one found it.

If I were his source, it would certainly be the last time I would have given him any sort of information.

joshschw

The $249 price tag for what is very much an incremental improvement is pretty baffling.

The MS Health app has been updated on WP 8.1 today for current Band users btw (actually includes sensible UI scaling for my 1520 now!)

The $249 is competitive with their competitors, Fitbit's similar one costs $249. But why the price increase to begin with?

Also, the Microsoft Health app being so poor from when I've tried to use it for simple things, like Step Counting, turned me off of Band as well - I am sure the new universal app is coming, but the history of the app is not good. Fitbits new app looks sweet.

Top Bottom