• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The $249 is competitive with their competitors, Fitbit's similar one costs $249. But why the price increase to begin with?

Also, the Microsoft Health app being so poor from when I've tried to use it for simple things, like Step Counting, turned me off of Band as well - I am sure the new universal app is coming, but the history of the app is not good. Fitbits new app looks sweet.
Being competitive would be offering a product cheaper than what your competition is doing. I'm not sure if pricing it so high at $250 is a good idea when the fitness space is largely being dominated by Fitbit and their bands start at $130. Don't get me wrong the Microsoft Band looks cool but if I was looking for a fitness focused wearable the first product I would lean towards is a Fitbit.

joshschw

Any 950 sample photos leak out? Nokia always released a bunch of actual photos taken on the phones which was cool.

Being competitive would be offering a product cheaper than what your competition is doing. I'm not sure if pricing it so high at $250 is a good idea when the fitness space is largely being dominated by Fitbit and their bands start at $130. Don't get me wrong the Microsoft Band looks cool but if I was looking for a fitness focused wearable the first product I would lean towards is a Fitbit.

I agree. No one knows what a Microsoft Band is so they could have kept the pricing below the known Fitbit brand...

joshschw

Datasheets direct from MS:

http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/lumia/docs/lumia550Datasheet.pdf

Not great that they dropped from the 4xx series Qualcomms to the 2xx series for the 550 IMO. Priced more like the Lumia 600 series though?

http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/lumia/docs/lumia950Datasheet.pdf
http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/lumia/docs/lumia950XLDatasheet.pdf

Dual SIM confirmed for both 950 models. Anything else look interesting on these? They are multi page docs BTW

kharma45

The $249 is competitive with their competitors, Fitbit's similar one costs $249. But why the price increase to begin with?

Also, the Microsoft Health app being so poor from when I've tried to use it for simple things, like Step Counting, turned me off of Band as well - I am sure the new universal app is coming, but the history of the app is not good. Fitbits new app looks sweet.

Yeah the price rise isn't great, but I think I still want it

Lumia 550 doesn't make a lot of sense for the US market. It costs more than the Lumia 640, but the specs are considerably worse. Not at all sure what they're doing with it.

Didn't know the new phones would compare so favorably in the current market. Guess I was used to us being behind on everything.

Just saw that! Pretty crazy.

Apple's iPad Pro and Google's Pixel C are neophyte reactions to Microsoft's aggressive innovation, but they're already behind this latest generation.

KYoSuQ9.gif

Paganmoon

Panos was pretty good, got my colleague to watch the stream as well, and he's an Apple nut. He asked if Panos actually worked at Microsoft or if he was just hired to demo in the event hehe.

So any other Euro prices other than UK out yet? Nothing on Swedish Microsoft store.

Edit: Are we sure the verge hasn't been hacked?

Doffen

Panos was pretty good, got my colleague to watch the stream as well, and he's an Apple nut. He asked if Panos actually worked at Microsoft or if he was just hired to demo in the event hehe.

So any other Euro prices other than UK out yet? Nothing on Swedish Microsoft store.

Edit: Are we sure the verge hasn't been hacked?

Tier 2 (Purgatory) like Norway.

Milchjon

Meanwhile, the first hands-on impressions from Windows Central re the 950XL are "meh."

I still can't get over the design. The way the front part feels disconnected from the back. The chrome rings. Chrome button, black front, white back. On screen buttons. That power button placement.

It does not look like a $649 device. It looks like the cheapest phone in it's class, which is a total bummer considering how much I loved almost all Lumia designs so far.

Not to mention that Windows 10 still looks like a major step back visually. What's with all the fucking borders. Looks like no designer ever touched it.

They turned their greatest strength into their greatest weakness.

At a time when everything else MS does seems to be ever better.

clav

No carrier info at the conference?

Does anyone know when the phones will be available?

edit: Looks like GSM only after reading specs. Possibly only works on AT&T's network, too, although the phone is sold unlocked.

Android again for me.

Disappointing but I guess I can look forward to Panos's Surface Phone in 2016. Exciting times ahead considering how he presented the Surface Book today.

clav

The word is that the Xlwill be AT&T exclusive. I'm hoping for a 950.3 xl, just like my 1520.3 that works nearly anywhere and gets LTE too

Do you know anything about the 550 outside of its price?

Looks like Microsoft is hoping its legacy 520/521 users will buy that phone for Windows 10 Mobile.

Doesn't look like those phones are getting the upgrade because they don't have Denim.

JaggedSac

We didn't hear about any accessories for the phones today. Wonder if they will share those details at some point. I will need a nice case.

Paganmoon

starting the go back to the "everything sucks" part of the circle. Get the feeling with the amount of focus spent on the 950's, no talk of apps (Astoria and iPhone ports), accessories (what'll be in the box?) and so on, we're probably not going to see the phones until late November.

Damnit Microsoft.

derFeef

And he actually looks pumped. I got more enthusiastic regarding Lumia then I've been in long time thanks to his presentation. But now I'm all about dat Surface Book.

I really hope they release it in Europe this year.

Which version are you toying with?

Klocker

So will both 950 @nd 950xl be coming to Att do we know?

Also I agree that release sounds more like November our they would have specified as they did with the other announcements if it were sooner or known. I'm guessing w10m is still not going to be ready

hadareud

The Translator
Juha Alakarhu ‏@jalakarhu · 2 hours ago
. @ibat400 All:) ISO12800 F1.9 5th gen OIS, natural pixel processing, colors, RGB flash, content aware exp. times, next gen dynamic exposure

Juha Alakarhu ‏@jalakarhu · 4 minutes ago
Exciting new feature: two exposure times in the same image. Short for moving and long for static part in Rich capture #lumia950 #lumia950xl

PureView is dead.

JaggedSac

PureView is dead.

Add the fact that it now has a 1/2.4" sensor now too.

Improved OIS, wider aperture, bigger sensor. Low light capabilities should be damn good. Improved processing is great as well. I'm always skeptical of using HDR unless the situation calls for it, but maybe I will give Rich Capture a try.

I'm happy with my 6S and enjoying iOS well enough but if a Surface phone were to drop next year, assuming it exhibits the quality of all things Surface, I'd buy out of my contract in a heartbeat.

950s can do one though. Mankey software buttons and totally uninspiring.

JaggedSac

Camera case that replaces the entire backplate would so kick ass.

I enjoyed the 1020 case that had the extra battery capacity and that very handy wrist strap loop. I would be down for getting another one. It also helped that the case added some weight to the camera button side so it felt better taking shots. Glad they kept the two stage camera button here too. Makes taking photos very nice without needing to touch the screen.

nillapuddin

yeah, besides obviously needing to know what its gunna cost on a plan

I am very nervously awaiting what the cases, accessories will look like

They really need a solid 1st party accessory lineup, otterbox, body glove, etc

(and colored backplates)

JaggedSac

Was disappointed that we didn't hear about any phone/band bundles. That would have been great. Perhaps that is an AT&T thing and there is still a chance of it happening.

Top Bottom