• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

Was disappointed that we didn't hear about any phone/band bundles. That would have been great. Perhaps that is an AT&T thing and there is still a chance of it happening.

Microsoft's new Lumia phones will launch with AT&T in the US

In this case, Microsoft said that its deal with AT&T is not exclusive to the carrier, and that the software titan was having discussions with other carriers both in the US and abroad about carrying both smartphones.

Details will become clearer.

AT&T will first launch.

Band has this pic on the website. Ahhahahahahah, kettle bell swings would absolutely destroy a watch.

91JcFZ3.jpg

Does anyone have experience with a "flagship" phone with a removable back plate? I really like the idea of being able to switch up the look without adding a dumb case, but I'm also worried that an aftermarket back would feel creaky and cheap like this 635 with the official Nokia back plate.

f0lken

So:

256GB/8GB RAM i5 Surface Pro 4. Would love the same but with dGPU S Book, but is $600 more :/ or Should I go for the non dGPU 128GB/8GB RAM Surface book??
Lumia 950XL
Band 2

For me, who's with me????

Milchjon

Stupid fucks, pt 2:

Unsurprisingly, the German prices are 599€/699€. That $673/$785. For a phone that looks as premium as a Fiat.

kharma45

Why wouldn't MS make a 930 style one.

Would change the whole device for me.

Stupid fucks.

Beats me. At least it looks like third party ones can and probably will. Metal sides with leather back I like a lot.

Although with the 950 XL likely to weigh in at £550, I don't think I'll go for it at launch. I already baulked at the Nexus 6P pricing, and I could get a 64GB one of those for less than the 950 XL.

Paganmoon

Why wouldn't MS make a 930 style one.

Would change the whole device for me.

Stupid fucks.

Would love a 930 style backplate, hope some third party gets one done.

Stupid fucks, pt 2:

Unsurprisingly, the German prices are 599€/699€. That $673/$785. For a phone that looks as premium as a Fiat.

Prices in Euros have always been around one to one to US prices in numbers (and Swedish prices are usually around 10x in numbers, no matter the exchange rate). so it's nothing new really, it sucks but it's nothing new. I mean I paid equivalent of 720 dollars for my 1020.

Milchjon

That's not 1 to 1, though. It's 50 bucks extra. It's a slap in the face of the only countries where people actually care. But I guess it happened before. Still shitty as hell.

hadareud

The Translator
That's not 1 to 1, though. It's 50 bucks extra. It's a slap in the face of the only countries where people actually care. But I guess it happened before. Still shitty as hell.

They, like almost every other tech company, have raised their prices in Europe because of the Euro exchange rate dropping.

I'm not saying that I agree with the approach because the prices were already too high before, but if you look at the Nexus etc. it's exactly the same.

Paganmoon

As I said, it's around 1 to 1, right now it's like 1 to 1.1 :), but yeah, it's shitty as hell, and the 720 dollar equivalent for the 1020 is based on todays exchange rate, back when I bought the 1020, 2 years ago, it'd be closer to 930 dollar equivalent.

I'm really down on the announcements. And before you're all like "but Brot, you're always such a negative asshole who ruins it for the rest of us. What else is new?"

But hear me out.

The hardware itself is not my issue.
The phones look great with a 3rd party back and metal frame.
Surface Book is whatever and the SP4 is a boring, but understandable iteration (they were focusing on designing the book)

But those fucking prices, man.

The Surface Pro 4 base model went from Core i3 to Core m3 and from €849 to €999. The i5 model is now only 100 bucks more expensive.
The Type Cover with finger print reader is not available outside the US.
The new Type Cover itself is now 149.99 instead of 129.99.

hadareud

The Translator
Like I said, they're using the exchange rate excuse to screw Europe over. They're not alone in that, but that doesn't make it better.

Outside of that, I don't think the pricing for their Surface line is a big issue. I think the idea is that Surface is a reference device, a premium product that isn't supposed to take market share, but to showcase the software and to encourage their OEMs to step up their game and that they are the ones that are supposed to release hardware that actually sells.

For phones, it's different. I don't think that premium pricing makes sense. There are no OEMs to speak of, so what they should be doing is price the phones competitively. I suspect they think that they have, and the prices aren't horrible, but they're still too high. I'm not saying they should have Nexus prices, but maybe go very slightly lower than the competition (Android flagships, essentially).

Doffen

I'm really down in the announcements. And before you're all like "but Brot, you're always such a negative asshole who ruins it for the rest of us. What else is new?"

But hear me out.

*snip*

Windows Phone OT is back!
I defiantly agree with finger print exclusive to US. And I will probably lose my shit when Surface Book is announced for a 2016 release in tier 2.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So I am happy that I can get a 950XL. AT&T is the only provider in my area. So this is great news!

Milchjon

Tom Warren:
Lots of confusion around Surface keyboard with fingerprint. It's designed for Sp3 primarily to give it Hello. SP4 has facial recognition

Maybe my favorite part of yesterday was how Nilay Patel didn't snipe once. Or maybe he did it on Snapchat to keep WP out.

"Best Microsoft event in ages. Maybe the device launch of the year. Surface Book looks and feels terrific. http://t.co/Exmur9wll5"

OEM

So they did not address the elephant in the room yesterday. I know it was just a hardware event but boy they badly needed a big third party developer up there.

KageMaru

Finally got to see the presentation late last night. Even considering how much was leaked, they did a damn fine job. There was passion and purpose behind most of the presenters, and they did a great job driving their point home.

The 950/XL looks better than the renders had me think they would. They are a bit on the plain side, but I know I'll just cover it up with a phone case anyways. I agree that pricing them a bit cheaper would make them more competitive, but considering how I paid $600 for the Icon, I think the price is more than fair. They were able to pack in up to date specs, entirely new features, what looks to be an amazing camera, and still offer a cheaper price than their last flagship.

It's a shame that carrier details are still foggy. Looks like I may be moving over to AT&T early next year after finally paying off my current phone.

Yeah, that's the one shortcoming of the event.

Can we expect another event focused on Win 10 mobile? It felt they just glanced (lol) over the phones.

I mean, the leaks were dead on so far and they mentioned tons of accessories that weren't mentioned. They got to show them, right?

JaggedSac

Yeah, that's the one shortcoming of the event.

Can we expect another event focused on Win 10 mobile? It felt they just glanced (lol) over the phones.

I mean, the leaks were dead on so far and they mentioned tons of accessories that weren't mentioned. They got to show them, right?

I really doubt there will be another event for mobile. Probably a couple blog posts.

hwalker84

I'm really down on the announcements. And before you're all like "but Brot, you're always such a negative asshole who ruins it for the rest of us. What else is new?"

But hear me out.

The hardware itself is not my issue.
The phones look great with a 3rd party back and metal frame.
Surface Book is whatever and the SP4 is a boring, but understandable iteration (they were focusing on designing the book)

But those fucking prices, man.

The Surface Pro 4 base model went from Core i3 to Core m3 and from €849 to €999. The i5 model is now only 100 bucks more expensive.
The Type Cover with finger print reader is not available outside the US.
The new Type Cover itself is now 149.99 instead of 129.99.

Honestly I'm down as well.

The event was amazing and I don't have any issue on the prices. There are items that are in the need immediately category and items that are in the want or don't really care category. The most glossed over item for me was of the absolute most importance and that's the phones.

I needed an actual release date Apple, HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung style. X countries on this date Y countries on this date. Carrier announcements and unlocked availability. We didn't get any of that. Just a vague... November. When in November Microsoft? I've had the 1520 for two years!!! Beginning? Early (probably not)? When are we going to get this information? Another event? Are you just going to let carriers announce whenever they feel like it? Why when it comes to the phone side are you this incompetent? No other Hero device is announced like this.... End Rant!@!

nBAjnV9.png

Somehow I thought this was hilarious.

And now we finally know why Windows Phone Central was renamed into Windows Central. Not even the people on the main staff are using Windows Phone anymore!

I9jmWY0.png

Top Bottom