• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

nBAjnV9.png

Somehow I thought this was hilarious.

And now we finally know why Windows Phone Central was renamed into Windows Central. Not even the people on the main staff are using Windows Phone anymore!

I9jmWY0.png

Can't blame them for moving away from a platform that has a very, very, very limited group of people who care when your livelihood is on the line.

CaptainABAB

Honestly I'm down as well.

The event was amazing and I don't have any issue on the prices. There are items that are in the need immediately category and items that are in the want or don't really care category. The most glossed over item for me was of the absolute most importance and that's the phones.

I needed an actual release date Apple, HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung style. X countries on this date Y countries on this date. Carrier announcements and unlocked availability. We didn't get any of that. Just a vague... November. When in November Microsoft? I've had the 1520 for two years!!! Beginning? Early (probably not)? When are we going to get this information? Another event? Are you just going to let carriers announce whenever they feel like it? Why when it comes to the phone side are you this incompetent? No other Hero device is announced like this.... End Rant!@!
I have a feeling not even Ms themselves know when they will have a decent mobile build for launch.

They are probably rushing it to get it stable on the phones they showed, with everything else coming later.

I think it's also a bit alarming, that each phone had a different build, with 550 being even the same "RTM build" from desktop (th1 even)

CaptainABAB

I needed an actual release date Apple, HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung style. X countries on this date Y countries on this date. Carrier announcements and unlocked availability. We didn't get any of that. Just a vague... November. When in November Microsoft? I've had the 1520 for two years!!! Beginning? Early (probably not)? When are we going to get this information? Another event? Are you just going to let carriers announce whenever they feel like it? Why when it comes to the phone side are you this incompetent? No other Hero device is announced like this.... End Rant!@!

This is 100% pure conjecture on my part and I have no inside info or anything, but I have a feeling that all of this is due to the current state of the W10 Mobile build (not finished, etc.) So Microsoft (and thus the carriers) can't commit to specific dates at this time.

Does anyone have experience with a "flagship" phone with a removable back plate? I really like the idea of being able to switch up the look without adding a dumb case, but I'm also worried that an aftermarket back would feel creaky and cheap like this 635 with the official Nokia back plate.
830/930 with backplates are solid as fuck. Zero creaking and feel premium.

Who knows about the 950. The only comments about the phones are that they feel really light.

Magni

Are there side by side pics of the 830 and 950? I'm probably gonna replace my 830 in the spring when the 950's price has dropped a bit (not buying another Lumia on launch, I've learned my lesson).

hwalker84

This is 100% pure conjecture on my part and I have no inside info or anything, but I have a feeling that all of this is due to the current state of the W10 Mobile build (not finished, etc.) So Microsoft (and thus the carriers) can't commit to specific dates at this time.

Just reserved an iPhone 6s Plus. Sorry fellas my long lineage of Windows Phones is broken. Truly a sad day.

iPhone 4
LG Quantum
Samsung Focus
HTC Titan
Lumia 920
Lumia 1020
Lumia 520
Lumia 630
Lumia 1520
iPhone 6s Plus 64GB.... :(

Broman1978

Swedish prices out, 5999SEK for 950, 6999SEK for XL

950 is $725/645€
XL is $850/755€

On Microsoft store only so far.

Ouch. Hopefully its just a placeholder price. Also hoping Elgiganten Will have a good price. Remember I paid 4995 SEK for my Lumia 930 on release.

The head of communications in Europe doesn't even know when you can pre-order the new phones in Germany.

Are we sure these phones are coming out?

hadareud

The Translator
Clearly the people in those percentages have never come in this thread.

Are you suggesting that the sentiment expressed in this thread is not representative of the average consumer and that not every person on the planet is cynical, angry and depressed?

Because that would be mental.

Just reserved an iPhone 6s Plus. Sorry fellas my long lineage of Windows Phones is broken. Truly a sad day.

iPhone 4
LG Quantum
Samsung Focus
HTC Titan
Lumia 920
Lumia 1020
Lumia 520
Lumia 630
Lumia 1520
iPhone 6s Plus 64GB.... :(
You'll be back. You can't quit us bro.

hwalker84

You'll be back. You can't quit us bro.
It could be a stopgap no doubt. My 1520 is dead and my 1020 is almost dead with two cracks in the screen horrible battery and constant app instability. If they had a release date and the preview build was a stable RTM I'd feel better. But for now I'll roll iOS until it's time if ever.

AlexMogil

I ordered a car that runs Subaru Starlink, an app that only runs on Android and iOS. I don't see any plans for them to support Windows. I hate that my car is going to dictate my phone choice because I really like what I saw yesterday.

JaggedSac

Really is quietly doing pretty well in Europe, kind of amazing with the consensus that the platform is basically dead.

-----------

I forgot about the bracelet incident hahah

The people who own these phones are not the same people that get online and discuss them.

And yeah, Thurrott is really jazzed about that conference.

Band 2 has a price and date. I'll likely mosey over to the MS store that day, size my wrist, and pick one up. The Health website is really expansive and you can customize and build your own workouts for your home and the gym.

I really like how the 940 looks in this picture. With a nice colored/leather backplate it would be pretty damn striking:

yep, it looks so much better in person than in renders. Still not what I wanted, but not the abomination that was those renders. If there is actual back-plate support, I'm definitely getting a 950 (unless I get one for free, but that aint happening)

Doffen

Kinda ironic that Europe is the primary region where Windows Phone is actually relevant.

It's like Microsoft's worst nightmare. Who the fuck gave Europeans right to own Windows Phones?
This is also why Lumia 950 and 950 XL only got announced with US price and US estimated launch month.

yep, it looks so much better in person than in renders. Still not what I wanted, but not the abomination that was those renders. If there is actual back-plate support, I'm definitely getting a 950 (unless I get one for free, but that aint happening)

Remember when all MS employees got a Windows Phone? I think that was around the launch.

Satya should do something like that again. Maybe it can revitalize some of the interest within the company.

That, or cheap Windows Phones on eBay.

^I agree :)

I'm getting pretty pumped about inking: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-705

I've always been very excited for inking on PCs, even way back, when the first Tablet PCs were shown by Gates. I loved the idea.

But even now, over a decade later, there's really not much support, even less so on the Windows Store. You know how Apple has always new categories for new device launches on the App Store?

"New apps for iPhone 6+" or whatever. The same is going to happen when the iPad Pro launches.

So I took a look at the Windows Store and couldn't find anything similar for Surface. Searching for "pen" or "Surface" brings up only crap.

I really wish it was better. I was able to find only nine Adobe apps on the Store. Nine. Of course you get the full suite on Surface, if you want to (spend the money), but that's beside the point. They have tons of useful little apps on iPad. Again, much more limited than full Ps or Ai, But for a quick sketch or edit with just your pen and fingers? Good enough. Also free, with IAP. Now, of course, Adobe has no interest in putting apps like that on the Windows Store, as it would collide with their shitty CC business model and whatnot. They did put out this cool video a year ago, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLR9ANGsOo

So Adobe is out. Fine.

But why is no one else picking up the slack? Paper by 53 was basically made for the Surface (by some of the members of the Courier team) and yet it's nowhere to be seen. Instead they're working on an Android version, for whatever reason. Yes, there's OneNote of couse. But to me, OneNote is really not great or rather fun to use. It works and does things really well. But fun it's not.

I'm writing this post while watching the video you posted. Microsoft is building such a great platform for developers and it's sad to see no one is taking advantage of it. It annoys me greatly.

Prez

I was considering the Lumia 550 but I'm disappointed that the battery life is worse than my 630 and it still has no compass. Guess I'll stick with the 630 for another year.

Doffen

AT&T is only US carrier planning to sell Microsoft's latest phones

Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sprint are expected pass on the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL in the United States.

Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sprint have no intention to sell either the Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL, according to people familiar with the carriers' plans. AT&T said on Tuesday that it would offer the Lumia 950, but hasn't commented on the Lumia 950 XL.

http://www.cnet.com/news/att-is-only-us-carrier-planning-to-sell-microsofts-latest-phones/

In other words you should nag to your provider, not Microsoft.

Top Bottom