• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

AT&T is only US carrier planning to sell Microsoft's latest phones

http://www.cnet.com/news/att-is-only-us-carrier-planning-to-sell-microsofts-latest-phones/

In other words you should nag to your provider, not Microsoft.

Well that sucks.

Speaking of the XL, I wonder Microsoft's decision to include "liquid cooling" will mean anything about ths 810 SoC used in other devices (e.g. Nexus 6P).

I may have to consider an iPhone if the 5X/6P review poorly.

:gasp:

My decision will probably be between an iPhone and an Android phone after learning that.

I love this man.

John Legere
@JohnLegere

This is total bullshit... @Microsoft made the old school Amazon Fire phone like exclusive decision.. Not us

I love this man.

John Legere
@JohnLegere

This is total bullshit... @Microsoft made the old school Amazon Fire phone like exclusive decision.. Not us

Can't blame Microsoft from this one. Whenever they trust a phone to T-Mobile, they drop it after a month and never even bother to update it. Selling it direct and unlocked gets rid of this problem. AT&T are sometimes slow, but as far as I'm aware, they've supported Windows Phone better than any other network in the US.

Doffen

I love this man.

John Legere
@JohnLegere

This can only mean one thing.

8oztyGL.png

Milchjon

Analyst or something for Andreessen Horowitz, supposed expert on all things tech sociology (for lack of a better word).

Edit: Has been writing MS doom and gloom articles for years now.

JaggedSac

Paul has a pretty glowing impression of the phones. MS seems to be pretty high on the camera in these things.

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/6701/microsoft-lumia-950-and-lumia-950-xl-preview

But I still have good news: These are high-quality, high-end phones, and appear to be well worth the asking price.

The Lumia 950 and 950 XL have even better cameras, Microsoft tells me. Yes, they look like the Lumia 930/Icon/1520 on paper, as they are 20 MP units. But every single component in these cameras is new, offering incredible speed and motion-blur-free photos regardless of lighting conditions, plus 4K video capture.

I’ll be reviewing the Lumia 950 and 950 XL as soon as I can. Having finally gotten my hands on them, I am a lot more excited about these handsets that I was before this week’s event.

John Legere sounds pretty pissed off on his Twitter..... I've never seen somebody so disappointed they can't get a Windows phone.

I'm really interested in what lead to the decision. I'm not sure he's disappointed, rather passing the buck, I'm not sure AT&T is even happy they're stocking WP.

This came to a shock to me, so you guys should know I know jack-all about stuff like that.

Doffen

I'm really interested in what lead to the decision. I'm not sure he's disappointed, rather passing the buck, I'm not sure AT&T is even happy they're stocking WP.

This came to a shock to me, so you guys should know I know jack-all about stuff like that.

We're still going to hold you accountable.

when is that "Pureview is not dead" blog dropping?

can't wait to hear about 480fps 1080p slo-mo, x-ray vision, richer rich capturing, etc.

BTW, I'm leaning more in favor of the 1080p screened 950 over the XL now. The camera ring with a new back plate with a metal frame could be a hot look.

PG2G

can't wait to hear about 480fps 1080p slo-mo, x-ray vision, richer rich capturing, etc.

BTW, I'm leaning more in favor of the 1080p screened 950 over the XL now. The camera ring with a new back plate with a metal frame could be a hot look.

I may be mistaken, but I thought both phones were 1440p

JaggedSac

I may be mistaken, but I thought both phones were 1440p

They are.

60fps is max for video.

in a world where crowdfunded no-name phones work on all 4 US carriers, everyone has split off the hardware costs from the mobile service fees and so many OEMs have payment plans, MS has no excuse for their latest handsets being AT&T only.

it's the sour note of an otherwise amazing press event.

MCD

On a trip in Houston so managed to drop by the MS store in Galleria. Played with the new toys.

950 XL: Very light and sleek. The size didn't bother me even though I hate huge phones. Sexy vibrant screen. Other the that, it's your High end Lumia that we all kept waiting two years for. Was surprised that it's GSM unlocked and dual sim to boot.

MS band 2: Not into bands or watches. Pass for now.

Surface pro 4: It's your pro 3 now with a real trackpad (glass?) and magnetic pen holder. Sexy as ever.

Surface book: The real game changer. Dat hinge made me cum harder than Panos dropping dem Surfaces. What a beast of engineering marvel.

NeOak

On a trip in Houston so managed to drop by the MS store in Galleria. Played with the new toys.

950 XL: Very light and sleek. The size didn't bother me even though I hate huge phones. Sexy vibrant screen. Other the that, it's your High end Lumia that we all kept waiting two years for. Was surprised that it's GSM unlocked and dual sim to boot.

Surface pro 4: It's your pro 3 now with a real trackpad (glass?) and magnetic pen holder. Sexy as ever.

Surface book: The real game changer. Dat hinge made me cum harder than Panos dropping dem Surfaces. What a beast of engineering marvel.

Oh? I'll have to go and take a look then.

hwalker84

Wait these are in stores to play with already?

hadareud

The Translator
So do we know if any 3rd party back covers will also feature Qi charging?

Looking at the cover in this video it should be quite simple to transfer the module to another case it they don't have it built in.

Was easy enough on the 920 and it doesn't look very different here.

Says it's better than the 1020...

Yeah, should be interesting to see in action. Hope we'll see his blog-post soon and some sample shots.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just checked with MS and both phones come with Qi. We should be safe unless AT&T engages in the usual fuckery, but I'm not American, so...

hadareud

The Translator
Oh btw, the 950 allegedly has both Qi and PMA while the larger one only has Qi, at least according to a video I watched yesterday.

Of course, that could be bullshit because the specs list only Qi for both.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What are you referring to?
Doffen's question. Maybe I misunderstood him, I thought he implied that one of them didn't come with Qi charging, making necessary a mod.

AT&T is known for removing Qi from their phones, which has resulted in some confusion in the past.

hadareud

The Translator
Doffen's question. Maybe I misunderstood him, I thought he implied that one of them didn't come with Qi charging, making necessary a mod.

AT&T is known for removing Qi from their phones, which has resulted in some confusion in the past.

I think he meant to ask whether the 3rd party cases would have Qi built in.

I suspect they won't, but that shouldn't be an issue since you can take out the coil and put it in another case relatively easily. Just need a hair-dryer and a scrapy sort of tool, I suspect.

JaggedSac

AT&T released their variant of the 1520 with QI removed.

I see, thanks.

I think he meant to ask whether the 3rd party cases would have Qi built in.

I suspect they won't, but that shouldn't be an issue since you can take out the coil and put it in another case relatively easily. Just need a hair-dryer and a scrapy sort of tool, I suspect.

Based on this, it seems at least some of the 3rd party covers will have Qi.

Mind you, these replacement covers by Mozo Accessories are compatible with NFC and wireless charging, just like the stock ones.

EDIT: Actually, the real source is this.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
IIRC cases for Qi devices are generally built so they don't impede charging. Although I'm sure you can find plenty of Qi blocking trash over AliExpress.

Top Bottom