• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
b88KlxT.jpg

Nice.

Give me orange!

edit: that really is very good looking. Like the 930/830, only better and thinner and nicer.

kazinova

The impressive thing about John Legere being butthurt is that it's all due to the buzz from the other stuff in that press conference. Because of how well the Surface Book and Pro 4 (and Band 2 to a lesser extent) came off in that conference there's a sudden interest in all things MS, even their phones.

Two days ago I'm sure T-mobile wouldn't care that they weren't getting these phones. Now they're actually desirable, not because of anything about the phones themselves. But because of a halo effect off the Surface line.

They could've killed if they had a Surface Phone and Surface Phone Pro at this event. Essentially a restyled 950/XL would have driven more excitement just being attached to the Surface name.

Actually "Surface Cell" sounds better to my ears but it's kind of moot at this point. We're probably 2 years from a true Surface team phone design.

I think I might step down from my massive 1520 to a regular 950. My wife is jumping from her 920 to a 950XL she claims. So I'll be able to try her phone out to know for sure if I want to downsize.

Paganmoon

I'm wondering if the Lumia name on the new phones instead of Surface has anything to do with being bullheaded about "paying a few billion dollars for the name, and god damn it, we're going to use it".

Probably not though.

hadareud

The Translator
They should stay with Lumia because the name already is known. There's market-share in Europe and the association with Nokia doesn't hurt, either.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up about a Surface Phone. Even if they are going to release an x86 phone, which I'm still not sure is such a great thing just yet considering battery life etc., they should call it Lumia.

The design and who designs it doesn't have anything to do with whether it's going to be called Lumia or Surface, anyway.

*tch*

Trying to arrange my finances/purchases to end up with something that has pen support for the Spring semester... atm, student discounted Pro 3 or student discount base model Pro 4 are my top picks, but being able to snag a 950XL to take notes/draw diagrams on would be perfect.

Paganmoon

The reason surface branding on the phones would be a win is that Surface has a good momentum, has gotten a lot positive feedback. Lumia as a brandname in my opinion has lost it's luster a bit, almost being solely associated with low end phones for so long and "that other OS".

Surface Phone could've gotten it a fresh start, with a strong brand name that's gotten even stronger since the event.

hadareud

The Translator
The reason surface branding on the phones would be a win is that Surface has a good momentum, has gotten a lot positive feedback. Lumia as a brandname in my opinion has lost it's luster a bit, almost being solely associated with low end phones for so long and "that other OS".

Surface Phone could've gotten it a fresh start, with a strong brand name that's gotten even stronger since the event.

I don't know. They sold 40 million Lumias last year (iirc) and they're going to sell more than that this year.

It's always funny to laugh at the 2%, but the 2% is a lot of people. Certainly far, far more people than have purchased a Surface.

Surface has a good name in the tech world of course, but it's a niche product that hasn't penetrated the mass market. Lumia isn't, or at least shouldn't be. I also don't think the name has many negative attachments.

This constant rebooting also has to stop. It's confusing enough that it's not Windows Phone 10 or at least Windows 10 for Phones. Windows 10 Mobile after they had Windows Mobile and scrapped that in favour of Windows Phone is just silly, even if the OS is supposed to run on more than just phones eventually.

They did miss a trick with not scrapping the numbering scheme though, imo. 950, 550 etc. It makes no sense and never did. It should have been called Lumia One, or something equally simple (no matter whether that's corny or stolen or whatever) and then get a different simple short name for the budget phone.

b88KlxT.jpg

Nice.

Give me orange!

edit: that really is very good looking. Like the 930/830, only better and thinner and nicer.

I hope you fuckers here agree with me now that this is a huge step up from the shitty plastic design Microsoft has shown.

That fucking premium look and feel.

The impressive thing about John Legere being butthurt is that it's all due to the buzz from the other stuff in that press conference. Because of how well the Surface Book and Pro 4 (and Band 2 to a lesser extent) came off in that conference there's a sudden interest in all things MS, even their phones.

Two days ago I'm sure T-mobile wouldn't care that they weren't getting these phones. Now they're actually desirable, not because of anything about the phones themselves. But because of a halo effect off the Surface line.

They could've killed if they had a Surface Phone and Surface Phone Pro at this event. Essentially a restyled 950/XL would have driven more excitement just being attached to the Surface name.

Actually "Surface Cell" sounds better to my ears but it's kind of moot at this point. We're probably 2 years from a true Surface team phone design.

I think I might step down from my massive 1520 to a regular 950. My wife is jumping from her 920 to a 950XL she claims. So I'll be able to try her phone out to know for sure if I want to downsize.

Interesting how much buzz there is about MS now. Wonder where we'll be in a year!

I hope you fuckers here agree with me now that this is a huge step up from the shitty plastic design Microsoft has shown.

That fucking premium look and feel.

Nah man, it just looks like some other manufacturer's phone. A Sony or a Samsung or something. Lumias had their own identity, which isn't really present in the default back or this metal ting premium crap.

Nah man, it just looks like some other manufacturer's phone. A Sony or a Samsung or something. Lumias had their own identity, which isn't really present in the default back or this metal ting premium crap.

My argument was that it would look better with premium materials and it does.

The Lumia look you're talking about got super stale as well. It started with the 800 and 900 in 2011, got refined with the 920 in 2012 and then reused for the 730 and 735 in 2014(?). They mixed it up with the 930 and 830 by adding this metal ting premium crap and changed the shape. But the other models don't look very distinctive, outside of the colorful backs.

kazinova

Interesting how much buzz there is about MS now. Wonder where we'll be in a year!

It's a hard road to keep moving at this pace. I don't envy Microsoft right now. They have a lot of hard work ahead of them if they want to keep in front of the competition while catching their mobile OS up.

It's safe to say that a lot of the negative nancies in this thread have to feel a little less suicidal this week, though. Right?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My fate is in the hands of carriers and as of now looks like no Canadian carrier is in. Although i was tweeting with Telus and they gave me some hope......we will see.

I really want the XL and from the impressions it has a great feel to it even with the "shitty" plastic....

hadareud

The Translator
I know I do.

As for the Surface Phone:

"We're not confused, we're not making any claims but we have a team with a commitment to getting to awesome products," explains Panay. "There will be generations of hardware that come with it; it will be telling and it will make a difference. We're not going to let go, we're pushing hard." Part of that pushing hard has to involve a Surface Phone. Rumors suggest Microsoft is working on an Intel phone, which could boost its Continuum efforts to convert a phone into a real PC capable of running desktop apps. So is Microsoft really working on a Surface Phone? "That's a question I get asked a lot," says Panay as he laughs. It's not something he wants to answer, but he's happy to drop some hints.

"Over time you want a consistent thread between the products, especially the hardware as well," he explains. "I think what you have to think with overall devices is making sure we are able to get that consistent premium fit and finish that people are expecting from Microsoft." That fit and finish involves "consistency across design" and "consistency across craftsmanship," says Panay. That doesn't mean brands will necessarily align, especially in the case of the Xbox, but it's hard not to see a Surface-inspired phone in the future even it's still labeled as a Lumia. "I think we are in a great spot right now," says Panay. "You always work off the foundation as a starting point, and this foundation we've got is phenomenal and the consistency will come."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9478353/microsoft-panos-panay-interview-surface-book-design

It will be a Lumia, imo.

ElNino

My fate is in the hands of carriers and as of now looks like no Canadian carrier is in. Although i was tweeting with Telus and they gave me some hope......we will see.

I really want the XL and from the impressions it has a great feel to it even with the "shitty" plastic....
I'm in the same boat. My Rogers corporate contract is ready to renew so I was hoping (expecting) they would get one or both of them... but it's not looking good now. I could buy unlocked and go with Telus since Rogers doesn't give a discount with no subsidy for corporate, or I could switch phones.

I've been considering the Note 5 which would be $250 to stick with Rogers.

Hahaha

I'm hoping MS release a cyan flip case for 950. 640 in cyan is sexy.

I'm already tired of cyan, despite never owning a device in that color (hyped ever since the original Lumia 800).

They have a new type cover in teal, but I'm not sure if I really like it.

Magni

Is the 950 not in stores, only the 950XL?

I was near Columbus Circle for an unrelated errand before work this morning and thought I'd pop by the MS pop up store there, but they open at 10.

MCD

Is the 950 not in stores, only the 950XL?

I was near Columbus Circle for an unrelated errand before work this morning and thought I'd pop by the MS pop up store there, but they open at 10.

@Galleria Houston, only the XL and no demo for continuum.

nillapuddin

That red back is pretty sexy, but where did it come from?

Like I said a few pages back, accessories are what I am scared about the most. Its so shitty trying to find top quality cases and stuff for the dozen of us.

So with the announcement that the new phones are going to be at&t only in the US does that mean there will be no other way to use them with other carriers? I guess I am curious if there will be a way to get an unlocked phone and use it with verizon. In Las Vegas verizon gets the best coverage by far, my step brother has at&t and he always complains about not being able to gets calls and such in the city. I need a new phone but I dont want to switch to at&t. Gonna suck if I have to go back to android.

So with the announcement that the new phones are going to be at&t only in the US does that mean there will be no other way to use them with other carriers? I guess I am curious if there will be a way to get an unlocked phone and use it with verizon. In Las Vegas verizon gets the best coverage by far, my step brother has at&t and he always complains about not being able to gets calls and such in the city. I need a new phone but I dont want to switch to at&t. Gonna suck if I have to go back to android.
Unlocked phones will work with T-Mobile and att.

I love how he calls out the shit design of the Xbox One.

I don't think he does. He's just saying it makes no sense to align the XBox and Surface brands; totally different demos, totally different vibes.

As for the Surface Phone... it's obviously going to be called with Lumia Surface.

I come to0 gaf and I feel like I must be crazy. I love the design of the Xbox 1. I am actually worried about them changing the dash because I like the current one so much. I love just having everything i use pinned to the home screen, and cortona works great for me. It is so nice not having to figure out where my daughter hid my controller everytime I want to do something. I got an XB1 and a PS4 at launch and I havent turned my PS4 on in months, hell my Wii-U gets way more use then my PS4. I really think a lot of people just didnt like MS' plans for going all digital and such and have stuck with that first impression, the console itself and the games it has gotten have been fantastic so far.

That's my next phone, right there. I've been holding out on an upgrade for 6 months and it's time to cash that baby in.
It's weird to me that these replaceable shells are getting people excited about the 950. The image on this page make the 950 look like a 930 with a horrible ring around the camera and no hardware buttons. Like each to their own and all, but the 930 and 830 looked better than this.

Top Bottom