• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

José Mourinho;181076210 said:
It's weird to me that these replaceable shells are getting people excited about the 950. The image on this page make the 950 look like a 930 with a horrible ring around the camera and no hardware buttons. Like each to their own and all, but the 930 and 830 looked better than this.

I care more about better specs and more importantly, the better camera than any design advantages found in the 930. I love my Icon still but I'm ready to upgrade.

mm04

José Mourinho;181076210 said:
It's weird to me that these replaceable shells are getting people excited about the 950. The image on this page make the 950 look like a 930 with a horrible ring around the camera and no hardware buttons. Like each to their own and all, but the 930 and 830 looked better than this.

That's not the only reason. It's a better phone than my 920. The removable back plate is just gravy. On top of a removable battery, better camera, more storage, yada yada yada.

f0lken

b88KlxT.jpg

Nice.

Give me orange!

edit: that really is very good looking. Like the 930/830, only better and thinner and nicer.

I'll go with a 950XL because I hate that hideous metal ring on the 950, hopefully there is a version of this color for it

It's entirely possible that new devices will be loaded with W10 prior to general availability of the OS. Pretty sure they did something similar with a previous update, didn't they?
Happens all the time. Carriers hold back updates to encourage sales of the new phones with the latest OS.

Ganondolf

I think Microsoft's branding department will make the Intel phone the surface phone without any reference to lumia. Although lumia is doing ok in Europe its not doing as well in the US, making it a surface will help sells in the US, it being a Intel chip gives them a good reason to change the phone branding (Lumia =arm, surface =x86).

On a separate note. I have the Photos Add-in app installed on w10m but can't seem to work out how to use it. Anyone know?

Lichter

Amazing camera.

Otherwise, I like the cases y'all are posting.

I've promised myself to not get a new phone but can't resist it...

I don't understand why Microsoft has an exclusive for the 950 with ATT yet the XL can only be bought through Microsoft Stores. T-Mobile wants your phones, give them the XL.

Shame MS didn't build both GSM and CDMA versions of the 950's. In an ideal world, 950 and the 950XL both get released on the same day on all 4 major carriers. All this momentum means nothing when you limit which carriers people can use the phone on.

Doffen

Having never owned an unlocked phone before... how are updates handled usually? If you are using the phone on a particular network, do you only update on their schedule or do you get them right away?

Updates are pushed by the OEM when the device is unlocked.

KageMaru

With carrier phones, is there any reason why MS can't make the slow ring for the insider preview the final build and just use the fast ring for beta testing new updates? The insider app is already known and used, there is no more separate firmware, and it would be an easy work around carrier testing and distribution methods.

Edit:

That camera video was amazing btw. I would have thought the galaxy S6 would have taken better pictures though.

MCD

With unlocked phones, you still have to wait a bit depending on your region but usually not for long.

That camera...
Am I ready to plop down $600 for such quality? Will be willing to starve from apps for the duration of the device. So far looks like a clear upgrade from the 920. Would be nice to have a top-tier camera again. Except for those on-screen buttons.

That camera...
Am I ready to plop down $600 for such quality? Will be willing to starve from apps for the duration of the device. So far looks like a clear upgrade from the 920. Would be nice to have a top-tier camera again. Except for those on-screen buttons.

I think I need to hear the argument against on-screen back/Windows/Cortana buttons again, because I'm starting to like the idea of an auto hiding bottom bar that means less bezel and a cleaner front to the phone. Is it a perceived decrease in functionality? I think I was accidentally hitting the Windows key on my 920 much more than my 635 now.

With carrier phones, is there any reason why MS can't make the slow ring for the insider preview the final build and just use the fast ring for beta testing new updates? The insider app is already known and used, there is no more separate firmware, and it would be an easy work around carrier testing and distribution methods.

Edit:

That camera video was amazing btw. I would have thought the galaxy S6 would have taken better pictures though.
What makes you think that the S6 would take better pictures? The 950 damn near has a dedicated camera's sensor in it.

MarkusRJR

Wow so apparently ZERO carriers are supporting Windows 10 on phones in Canada. Rogers even removed all Windows Phone devices off of their website.

Guess Windows 10 on phones will not be a thing in Canada unless you buy it outright off the Microsoft Store. The prices for the 950 and 950 XL are $750 or $850. That's embarrassingly bad. That's literally platform suicide. I mean, there wasn't much support as it was, but seriously? WTF? Even Blackberry has tons of support and they literally declared they may end hardware production if their latest phone bombs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to the 950 range. Dat camera an dat back cover.

Fuck you, Microsoft. I wanted to wait until the Surface Phone.

Any word if a new build for Windows Phone 10 Preview will be released this weekend?
There's a new build that hit the last internal ring, if they don't get any blocking bugs will be send to insiders in a few days, hopefully today.

The desktop build is bring blocked by one build that is taking more time than they anticipated to fix.

hwalker84

Had this iPhone for a few days. Honestly the stand out feature is the fingerprint reader and Apple pay. Lot's of things they could take note of from MS and vice versa. Probably going back to WP with either the 950 or hopefully a Surface phone.

Top Bottom