• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

What the hell?
I'm on 10572.0... little black circles, small white numbers on tile notifications

Edit.. to be clear I'm talking Outlook mail

Interesting. What is your theme color? Now that I think about it, I believe the Facebook app always had the black circle and number. I don't think I've seen an app that uses my theme color have the black circle though.

Edit: Yeah, colored circles with white numbers isn't new. This is from WP8

wp_ss_20131218_0005.jpg

Klocker

Interesting. What is your theme color? Now that I think about it, I believe the Facebook app always had the black circle and number. I don't think I've seen an app that uses my theme color have the black circle though.

yes it looks like the old Facebook icon. I am using one of the standard blues with picture behind and 69% transparency. I tried different colors and combos of start customizations and nothing changed outlook

Messaging and missed phone calls uses a white number only. Outlook mail must be using that black circle white number now...

hadareud

The Translator
Messaging and missed phone calls uses a white number only. Outlook mail must be using that black circle white number now...

Yeah, Outlook now has the circle. I actually quite like that, other apps should use it too.

The build has not yet gone to shit for me btw. I don't notice a difference to last week, apart from battery life getting better.

Despite the imminent death of WP I'm really excited for the new phones now.

KageMaru

Was originally going to get a 950 but figured I'd jump in to my first Windows Phone with a cheaper one to give it a shot. I ended up getting a good deal on the Lumia Icon for $100 unlocked. Amazing camera and the interface is really nice so far. Some of the missing apps coming from Android does make it slightly inconvenient but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Is there a new W10 update yet? When I tried the fast preview on my Icon about two weeks ago it drained battery like a mofo so had to go back to 8.1.

Last build killed the battery on my Icon s well. It was so bad that my phone was draining fast than my car charger could charge it. This build is MUCH better. Very few issues outside of some problems with Edge that I mentioned earlier.

Totakeke

One night about two years ago, Panos Panay couldn’t sleep. This happens a lot, waking up in the middle of the night with loud thoughts rattling around in his head. Panay popped off the pillow, reached for his new Surface Pen and his old Surface Mini, and wrote himself an email. (He loves the Mini, a small tablet his team built but never shipped. “It was like a Moleskine,” he says. “It was awesome.”)

A few machines away, another machine works on a prototype of a new phone.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/surface-book-behind-the-scenes/

hwalker84

Save us Panos. Though he can only save us on design. We need the higher ups at Microsoft working deals to get apps. If islewood and Astoria are all they promise commit money going door to door to these app developers getting them to publish apps. While you're at it get me a mobile payment system asap. Dump the face unlock and give me a finderprint reader or give me both.

JaggedSac

Save us Panos. Though he can only save us on design. We need the higher ups at Microsoft working deals to get apps. If islewood and Astoria are all they promise commit money going door to door to these app developers getting them to publish apps. While you're at it get me a mobile payment system asap. Dump the face unlock and give me a finderprint reader or give me both.

Deals for apps only get the apps created, not updated. At least that was how the deals worked last time around...and I guess I can only say that for certainty in regards to the company I work for. They will foot the bill for development(creating it themselves if we wanted them too) but not the bill for app maintenance or enhancements. Which, in our case, meant we did not take their deal. Later on down the road, we ended up creating the app ourselves, but I don't think it has been updated since that initial work, lol.

n64coder

So.....is anybody in this thread planning on buying a 950 or 950 XL?

I'll be getting the 950XL for sure. Looking forward to having a faster camera than my 1020.

WTF. I think paying $50/month per line is too much, and you pay that?

That total doesn't even include taxes + fees.

Go prepaid.

Agreed. I have 5 lines for $100 month with Cricket. Each with 2.5GB of data, unlimited voice/text.

Goddamnit, Satya.

Tell me about it. Such a damn tease.

He loves the Mini
“It was like a Moleskine,” he says.
“It was awesome.”

You could say Panos was pumped about the Mini.

I'm set on a Pro 4 now, but I probably would've bought the Mini, had they released it. With Windows RT and all.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
But as soon as we start talking about it, he gets distracted by a CNC machine that’s milling a Surface Book’s bottom bucket. Panay just watches it for a moment, carving over and over to form the antenna gap. A few machines away, another machine works on a prototype of a new phone. And there are rooms everywhere in Building 87—top-secret ones—filled with new devices. Panay has to go check on them, too.
yDKEcWP.gif

Last build killed the battery on my Icon s well. It was so bad that my phone was draining fast than my car charger could charge it. This build is MUCH better. Very few issues outside of some problems with Edge that I mentioned earlier.

Thanks! I'll give it another shot. Only thing that's giving me pause at this point is Mints decision to drop Win phones. I still have Mint and I'm assuming I'll lose it when I upgrade OS. I'll have to find some alternative.

Is there any way to side load apps onto Windows phones like you can with Android?

hadareud

The Translator
I'm still very unsure about what the fascination with a Surface phone is.

I love my SP3, I even loved my S2. They are beautiful devices. Not fault free - I went through 2 S2's and 3 SP3's so far (audio broken, battery broken, and a screen issue), but whatever.

Now about a Surface phone: why? To have a magnesium phone that looks like a Surface while sacrificing wireless charging? To have an X86 phone while quite possibly sacrificing all the camera software work that Nokia/ex Nokia have done?

What exactly is missing from these new phones other than a vague sense of that they should look a bit different? What will Panos do to make these phones better? Better hardware? Doubtful. Actually, extremely doubtful. Better features? Again, I doubt it (other than pen support and software that can make use of it, perhaps). Nicer design? Possibly, but then, I don't think there's much wrong with the design as it is. x86 on a phone? Could be nice if it doesn't sacrifice on functionality, battery life and performance - I'm not convinced it would,

I think it's just a vague longing to have a Microsoft iPhone. Something that is supposedly pretty and hyped to fuck and not much else.

hwalker84

I'm still very unsure about what the fascination with a Surface phone is.

I love my SP3, I even loved my S2. They are beautiful devices. Not fault free - I went through 2 S2's and 3 SP3's so far (audio broken, battery broken, and a screen issue), but whatever.

Now about a Surface phone: why? To have a magnesium phone that looks like a Surface while sacrificing wireless charging? To have an X86 phone while quite possibly sacrificing all the camera software work that Nokia/ex Nokia have done?

What exactly is missing from these new phones other than a vague sense of that they should look a bit different? What will Panos do to make these phones better? Better hardware? Doubtful. Actually, extremely doubtful. Better features? Again, I doubt it (other than pen support and software that can make use of it, perhaps). Nicer design? Possibly, but then, I don't think there's much wrong with the design as it is. x86 on a phone? Could be nice if it doesn't sacrifice on functionality, battery life and performance - I'm not convinced it would,

I think it's just a vague longing to have a Microsoft iPhone. Something that is supposedly pretty and hyped to fuck and not much else.

Or how about a sexy device with no sacrifice?

hadareud

The Translator
Or how about a sexy device with no sacrifice?

Sure, but I don't see how.

These two phones are missing nothing compared to the competition imo. Maybe they could be sexier, sure.

Other than that, I really don't see why anyone would hold off for a potential Surface phone.

hwalker84

Deals for apps only get the apps created, not updated. At least that was how the deals worked last time around...and I guess I can only say that for certainty in regards to the company I work for. They will foot the bill for development(creating it themselves if we wanted them too) but not the bill for app maintenance or enhancements. Which, in our case, meant we did not take their deal. Later on down the road, we ended up creating the app ourselves, but I don't think it has been updated since that initial work, lol.

If Islewood and Astoria work like they're supposed to updating their Android or iOS apps is updating the WM version.

hadareud

The Translator
But no wireless charging is a sacrifice.

It really is.

Worth some added sexiness? Not for me, though I could probably live with it.

Could I live with worse camera performance, worse battery life etc. that could potentially be part of a switch to x86? No way.

kazinova

Man, pessimism abounds from Hadareud. I'm sitting tight with my 1520 in hopes that the next phone from that team blows us away. If it doesn't, or has a bunch of compromises then I'll look elsewhere. It doesn't make sense to assume the device will be terrible.

Doesn't have to be Qi wireless charging. There is wireless charging tech that goes through metal.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/28/9058583/qualcomm-wireless-charging-metal-phones

Yes, but that would mean getting new charging plates and the Qi ones are dirt cheap. You can even get knock-offs of the good looking chargers (Nokia, Tylt, Google) on Amazon for a decent price.

HIYKmor.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012SSBMCG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFVPRMO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VQG75Q4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any news on the possibility of getting the 950 on Verizon yet? Or is that still borked? I don't care if I have to call verizon and give them a bunch of numbers, I just want the phone on the network.

Asking because my parents just re-upped with Verizon, and I may be stuck with it for the forseeable future.

Any news on the possibility of getting the 950 on Verizon yet? Or is that still borked? I don't care if I have to call verizon and give them a bunch of numbers, I just want the phone on the network.

Asking because my parents just re-upped with Verizon, and I may be stuck with it for the forseeable future.

Not looking good for at least a little while. There was some rumor that it might get tested and then approved later. But basically don't buy a phone expecting it to work on Verizon anytime soon. MSFT has been pretty tight lipped about it, which to me as a Verizon customer is disconcerting. We're at least stuck through June it seems, unless I can get Tmobile to buy out 2 lines' fees.

ElNino

Man, pessimism abounds from Hadareud. I'm sitting tight with my 1520 in hopes that the next phone from that team blows us away. If it doesn't, or has a bunch of compromises then I'll look elsewhere. It doesn't make sense to assume the device will be terrible.
I don't see pessimism from Hadareud really, just curiosity about what a potential "Surface" phone would be relative to what we have coming out in the next couple of months.

I feel like I'm on the same page as well. I love my Surface Pro (original), I have a Surface Book on order and even my son's Surface RT gets regular use still with the kids (mainly as a media device with SD card support). That being said, I don't see any obvious way that they could make the 950/XL phones significantly better than they already are other than (arguably) cosmetics.

The phone are this, have nice hi res screens and seem to have powerful specs. As long as the camera is what it appears to be, either will make a great upgrade to my 1020 I believe.

I don't see pessimism from Hadareud really, just curiosity about what a potential "Surface" phone would be relative to what we have coming out in the next couple of months.

I feel like I'm on the same page as well. I love my Surface Pro (original), I have a Surface Book on order and even my son's Surface RT gets regular use still with the kids (mainly as a media device with SD card support). That being said, I don't see any obvious way that they could make the 950/XL phones significantly better than they already are other than (arguably) cosmetics.

The phone are this, have nice hi res screens and seem to have powerful specs. As long as the camera is what it appears to be, either will make a great upgrade to my 1020 I believe.

Even the look of the 950/XL would've been fine, if the 3rd party cases were default choices.

b88KlxT.jpg

JaggedSac

Sure, but I don't see how.

These two phones are missing nothing compared to the competition imo. Maybe they could be sexier, sure.

Other than that, I really don't see why anyone would hold off for a potential Surface phone.

He will try to invent a new category of phone.

If Islewood and Astoria work like they're supposed to updating their Android or iOS apps is updating the WM version.

True, we shall see.

Nikodemos

The Nokia 2520 is an 8" tablet with 3:2 aspect ratio, pen input and magnesium chassis? That's news to me.
Well, no, but it's a light tablet with WinRT.
And what's the deal with magnesium chassis? Not a fan of metal. I really dislike the way it feels to the touch. iPads feel awful to me for this reason. I'll always take heavy-duty plastic over it.

ElNino

Even the look of the 950/XL would've been fine, if the 3rd party cases were default choices.
I'll give you that, I would prefer some of what we've seen from the 3rd party cases assuming all the features are still there (Qi, NFC, etc).

I also feel that most people put cases/shells on their phones so I can understand why they didn't go crazy there. Nothing like throwing that Otterbox on your nice aluminum phone.

Well, no, but it's a light tablet with WinRT.
And what's the deal with magnesium chassis? Not a fan of metal. I really dislike the way it feels to the touch. iPads feel awful to me for this reason. I'll always take heavy-duty plastic over it.

So they didn't release a Surface Mini called Nokia 2520 at all.

Small portable tablet with good pen input and great build quality. That's what made the Surface Mini so interesting. The Nokia 2520, while being a great tablet (if you can deal with RT), matches it only in terms of build quality. But it being 10", it was only an alternative to the Surface 2, which no one wanted either.

I'll give you that, I would prefer some of what we've seen from the 3rd party cases assuming all the features are still there (Qi, NFC, etc).

I also feel that most people put cases/shells on their phones so I can understand why they didn't go crazy there. Nothing like throwing that Otterbox on your nice aluminum phone.

The Mozo cases all have NFC and Qi charging.

Klocker

What are you referring to? The circles under the notifications number on tiles? That has been there since the beginning. Only certain apps had them, as it is now in Win10.

Black circles were never there on mail app (7-8.1) only on certain third party apps. Never from a MS app.

Now it is on Outlook (any mail or mailboxes) yet still white numerals only on messages and phone calls etc. Incongruent and not appealing to me.

JaggedSac

Black circles were never there on mail app (7-8.1) only on certain third party apps. Never from a MS app.

Now it is on Outlook (any mail or mailboxes) yet still white numerals only on messages and phone calls etc. Incongruent and not appealing to me.

Its incongruousness is why I think it is a mistake. We shall see. Heck, the image on my outlook tile is smaller than every other app as well, so something is definitely amiss.

JaggedSac

That is an incredible first sentence:

Microsoft's latest efforts to shove Windows PCs back into relevance in the Post PC era have found willing volunteers among some PC bloggers ready to exchange their credibility for enthusiastic reviews of Surface Book and Pro 4, apparently under the premise that Windows can be reanimated back into a viable monopoly via hybrid Tablet PC-style convergence. But that's delusionally wrong, here's why.

Not looking good for at least a little while. There was some rumor that it might get tested and then approved later. But basically don't buy a phone expecting it to work on Verizon anytime soon. MSFT has been pretty tight lipped about it, which to me as a Verizon customer is disconcerting. We're at least stuck through June it seems, unless I can get Tmobile to buy out 2 lines' fees.

Hrm. I will hold out some hope. Maybe Verizon just hasn't quite finished adding them or some stupid shit. My upgrade isn't for a while yet anyway.

That is an incredible first sentence:

Oh my god it's... it's beautiful.

"exchange their credibility"
It's just... tears. I'm in tears.

Top Bottom