• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Definitely white for me.

I ordered a 950 for myself and a XL as a birthday present for my gf (sshhhhh, don't tell her) last night, both in white.

kharma45

i don't think i have a bluetooth button (i think), i just have the stupid "speak icon" button that activates my in car commands, not cortana.

That's the button I meant, when I hit that it says Cortana on the DIS. I'll test it again to make sure when I get a chance and I remember.

mm04

Any of you guys use an app on WP to track and check off TV shows you're watching? I've been using Rudy's TV Show app for a long time, but he recently pulled it until he can replace the data source that it pulls from or something, so I'm not able to get it on the reset W10 build.

It's not a great app either, although it did the job for me. What else are you guys using?

I used to use that one too. Now I've moved over to TV Blaze. Similar enough and has decent live tile functionality with the paid version.

Doffen

What, in the name of fuck, Facebook?

rA9mFT1.png

Also, is anyone else getting around 5 absolutely useless FB notifications a day now? Fucking annoying.

Well, do you know him?

ElNino

i don't think i have a bluetooth button (i think), i just have the stupid "speak icon" button that activates my in car commands, not cortana.
My cars (well car and van) are like that as well, and neither will connect to Cortana directly using it. However, when you connect to your vehicle it should add a Cortana entry in your phone book. If you call it (I set it as a quick dial in my vehicles) then it will trigger Cortana to listen for your commands. It's not quite a one press Cortana button, but it's close enough.

Suerte

Pre-order option has appeared again! Taken the plunge - I'll probably change my mind every couple of days for the next month.

My cars (well car and van) are like that as well, and neither will connect to Cortana directly using it. However, when you connect to your vehicle it should add a Cortana entry in your phone book. If you call it (I set it as a quick dial in my vehicles) then it will trigger Cortana to listen for your commands. It's not quite a one press Cortana button, but it's close enough.
Awesome, gonna try this

Nero3000

Gabriel Aul ‏@GabeAul 48m48 minutes ago
We are working on doing something we've never done before with new builds...but not today.

Probably a simultaneous release of the same build of desktop and mobile.

derFeef

Definitely white for me.

I ordered a 950 for myself and a XL as a birthday present for my gf (sshhhhh, don't tell her) last night, both in white.

Where did you order, any good deals? (I want to do the same thing but I know I will come back with a blue eye...)

hadareud

The Translator
I ordered them from the UK MS store.

Luckily my gf actually wants one. She has a 930 now and had a 920 before.

Ever since I got her a Zune HD all that time ago she was always going to go with WP.

hadareud

The Translator
I thought so.

Also, I'm making that money back when I go to Austria on holiday because of the good exchange rate.

I'm drinking myself wealthy, so to speak.

hadareud

The Translator
With a new build just around the corner, I have to say that I'm still really happy with the last one.

Ordinarily, you wouldn't expect builds to deteriorate in a weeks time (because that's fucking mental and not even Android goes to shit that quickly), but since it happened before it's good to see that the last one hasn't at all.

It has been stable outside of a few app problems (Audible starts stuttering until a restart for instance, though that may be the app rather than the build) and battery life has been far more predictable and much improved.

There's still some bugs, but they all seem quite minor now. Edge could certainly be faster and there's more polish needed in places, but I think it's fair to say that the thing is finally almost ready.

KageMaru

With a new build just around the corner, I have to say that I'm still really happy with the last one.

Ordinarily, you wouldn't expect builds to deteriorate in a weeks time (because that's fucking mental and not even Android goes to shit that quickly), but since it happened before it's good to see that the last one hasn't at all.

It has been stable outside of a few app problems (Audible starts stuttering until a restart for instance, though that may be the app rather than the build) and battery life has been far more predictable and much improved.

There's still some bugs, but they all seem quite minor now. Edge could certainly be faster and there's more polish needed in places, but I think it's fair to say that the thing is finally almost ready.

Yeah I'm real happy with the most recent build. I've been waiting for performance to take a shit but thankfully it hasn't happened yet. Oddly the only app I have a problem with is Pinball FX, which is a W10 app.

Also noticed some nice improvements to the maps app last night. Cortana's voice took over as the new default, they offer multiple routes to choose from, and finally they let you know if the destination is on the left or right side.

Suerte

Looks like the 950 XL will come with a free display dock in the UK and Germany until the end of January - you'll need to claim the offer on the phone though.

Find the pre-installed Lumia Offers app on the home screen of your brand new Lumia 950 XL. To get a free Microsoft Display Dock, just open the Lumia Offers app and follow the instructions. You can order a Display Dock online with the promotional code that you’ll receive by email.

JaggedSac

Alternate route selection and side of the road of destination are two pretty good mapping enhancements I've been wanting. Good to hear they are there. Now they need to add lane directions like Google's.

hadareud

The Translator
Apparently there's more 120 million devices running Windows 10.

You have to think that if MS can't convince developers to start developing universal apps for the OS pretty soon then it's never going to happen

Still not a huge fan of many of the animations. They all seem very bad to me, lacking the beauty and polish of the earlier releases. That being said, I'm only using the OS on a bad piece of hardware, which probably accentuates animation frame rate issues.

I'm looking forward to finally stealing a coworkers' more up to date engineering device and playing around with it for a while.

Pretty sure I'm moving to T-Mobile, as they'll eat my Verizon cancellation fee

this_guy

Apparently there's more 120 million devices running Windows 10.

You have to think that if MS can't convince developers to start developing universal apps for the OS pretty soon then it's never going to happen

On desktop/laptop I don't care to use an app vs a web
browser. On mobile I'd rather use apps.

clav

Still not a huge fan of many of the animations. They all seem very bad to me, lacking the beauty and polish of the earlier releases. That being said, I'm only using the OS on a bad piece of hardware, which probably accentuates animation frame rate issues.

I'm looking forward to finally stealing a coworkers' more up to date engineering device and playing around with it for a while.

Pretty sure I'm moving to T-Mobile, as they'll eat my Verizon cancellation fee

What phone do you use now?

hadareud

The Translator
On desktop/laptop I don't care to use an app vs a web
browser. On mobile I'd rather use apps.

I'd imagine that around half the people are like you in that they don't use apps on a desktop or laptop.

The other half will at least use some apps, though. Mail, Weather, maybe Netflix and a few other things like casual games etc. and maybe around half of those will use apps quite a lot.

Obviously that's just a complete guess, it would be really interesting to see MS release some actual numbers.

If I'm right or in the right ball park, that's a huge number of people that could already be using app A,B,C but can't because it's not there and that number is quickly growing. If it's around 60 million now, it will be 100 million at some point next year.

To not target an audience as large as that strikes me as strange. If it doesn't happen Windows 10 has failed.

Top Bottom