• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

But as soon as we start talking about it, he gets distracted by a CNC machine that’s milling a Surface Book’s bottom bucket. Panay just watches it for a moment, carving over and over to form the antenna gap. A few machines away, another machine works on a prototype of a new phone. And there are rooms everywhere in Building 87—top-secret ones—filled with new devices. Panay has to go check on them, too.

Udo7U1w.gif

Klocker

Not liking in windows 10 how dismissing the notification alert does not clear the tile notification. I end up having to open a bunch of email tiles or apps to clear them that I dont have time to mess with and know they have new content due to the notification. In 8.1 you could swipe the notification and clear the tile number icon.

Magni

Not liking in windows 10 how dismissing the notification alert does not clear the tile notification. I end up having to open a bunch of email tiles or apps to clear them that I dont have time to mess with and know they have new content due to the notification. In 8.1 you could swipe the notification and clear the tile number icon.

Not for all apps though... looking at you Messenger and Swarm.

Paganmoon

So I recently finished Lara Croft Go, played Hitman Go before that and really enjoyed them both. Great games, not overly long, and no forced microtransactions tacked on. Are there any other games you could recommend for WP, that's a one off purchase, and has as much "production value" as those two games? Already played Monument valley.
So now I need a new game to play while I'm in the bathroom.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I stopped giving a rat's ass about platform warz a long time ago, but I just had to read that shit.

It seriously is one of the most amusingly flippant articles I've seen in a while. Amazing stuff.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
How's W10 mobile with Bluetooth in the car? Does it work as well as 8.1?
no.

It works. But when playing music it no longer shows the meta data on the screen of the car like it did in 8.1
Calls and voice commands work. I don't use any other features though.

no.

It works. But when playing music it no longer shows the meta data on the screen of the car like it did in 8.1
Calls and voice commands work. I don't use any other features though.
Cortana work? I really want that Cortana button mounted on my steering wheel.

Sucks that my new car has shitty voice recognition compared to my phone.

Suerte

Pre-orders for the 950 and XL have gone live on the UK Microsoft Store site - ships by 3 December, apparently.

5% Quidco at the moment would bring down the 950 cost to £427.49.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The new XL sample the Lumia camera put on instagram is making me think i made a bad move going to Android.....

Why did MS and carriers push me out :(

I have the w10 preview installed on my 920 now. Seems pretty nice but do the notifications not work for anyone else? No lock or glance notifications as of yet. I'm getting email toasts and icon in the status bar though but nothing for messaging.

Loving the fact that all apps sit in the bg instead of getting closed now (only some did on 8.1)

+ preordered an xl :D

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Cortana work? I really want that Cortana button mounted on my steering wheel.

Sucks that my new car has shitty voice recognition compared to my phone.

define Cortana?

Like if I press the voice command button on my car it will let me do things like send a text message to mike "you suck" or "call X" I don't know if it syncs the nickname portion of the phone book.

May just be my car, I know my car wants to sync the phone book, so its not actively reading my phones contact list. In actuality I think the commands are running through the car system not Cortana.

define Cortana?

Like if I press the voice command button on my car it will let me do things like send a text message to mike "you suck" or "call X" I don't know if it syncs the nickname portion of the phone book.

May just be my car, I know my car wants to sync the phone book, so its not actively reading my phones contact list. In actuality I think the commands are running through the car system not Cortana.
Yeah my car does the same. But can you hit the Cortana tile and ask Cortana things via Bluetooth?

That's why I need that Cortana button mounted on my steering wheel.

Yeah my car does the same. But can you hit the Cortana tile and ask Cortana things via Bluetooth?

This is never going to be 100% standardized is it? My FM Bluetooth adapter will call up Cortana just by holding down the call button. No factory built in hands free system I've used has been able to do that.

derFeef

Austrian carrier drei will get the 950 but not the XL, will be okay with this - I just need to know the price and when... but no info regarding that.

Any of you guys use an app on WP to track and check off TV shows you're watching? I've been using Rudy's TV Show app for a long time, but he recently pulled it until he can replace the data source that it pulls from or something, so I'm not able to get it on the reset W10 build.

It's not a great app either, although it did the job for me. What else are you guys using?

I'm using Trakter. It's the only one I saw that can actually sync to Trakt, and it's a universal app so if you like it you can get on PC too.

It's not the best either, it's very limited on options to display your shows, and there's no separate lists for shows with ask episodes watched.

kharma45

define Cortana?

My car when you hit the Bluetooth button on the wheel pulls up proper Cortana

hadareud

The Translator
What, in the name of fuck, Facebook?

rA9mFT1.png

Also, is anyone else getting around 5 absolutely useless FB notifications a day now? Fucking annoying.

Suerte

Just went to pre-order the 950 from the UK MS store and it's now showing as "email me when available" again instead - MS, do you actually want my money?!

Suerte

Probably they underestimated the demand and already sold out of their initial 5 phone launch batch.

Sad but actually/probably/definitely true. :(

What colour are people going for? I think both of them look MUCH nicer in white from all the pictures I've seen - but I guess it doesn't matter as much when you can just replace the cover at some point anyway.

Top Bottom