• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Novocaine

Recovery tool is the only way, I would think.

Why can't you use it on your PC?

Wasn't this a very early version of Astoria?

With so many things still changing in builds I'd be surprised if a half year old version of the tool still works 10 builds later.

Because the phone keeps restarting and dropping connection with the PC.

Paganmoon

Recovery tool is the only way, I would think.

Why can't you use it on your PC?

Wasn't this a very early version of Astoria?

With so many things still changing in builds I'd be surprised if a half year old version of the tool still works 10 builds later.

Yeah, of course, I wasn't very clear in my post, sorry. should've been more clear I meant, that Astoria hasn't been working great for everyone, so really nothing can be said just cause the forums are quiet about it.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah pretty much.

Because the phone keeps restarting and dropping connection with the PC.

Hmmm.

Can you switch off the phone completely (keep holding the power button) and then try to enter recovery mode (Power+Volume down and then volume down on vibrate)?

I've had a constantly restarting phone a couple of updates ago, but I did manage to get it into recovery mode eventually that way. It might take a few tries.

Novocaine

Yeah pretty much.

Hmmm.

Can you switch off the phone completely (keep holding the power button) and then try to enter recovery mode (Power+Volume down and then volume down on vibrate)?

I've had a constantly restarting phone a couple of updates ago, but I did manage to get it into recovery mode eventually that way. It might take a few tries.

I've tried it but it just goes back into the loop. I'll keep trying I guess and hope for the best.

JaggedSac

And why are the app controls showing up in the people app so you can't select the last few letters of the alphabet without selecting something you don't give a shit about?

Yes, the inconsistency shouldn't be there, but you can scroll the letters up, not sure why you are saying you have to select something you don't want to.

Novocaine

Managed to break it out of the loop after a few tries of it while being plugged into the PC, just long enough to flash it back to 8.1

Thankfully. Now to try again!

hadareud

The Translator
Good stuff!

Yes, the inconsistency shouldn't be there, but you can scroll the letters up, not sure why you are saying you have to select something you don't want to.

You don't have to, but it's easy to hit the wrong thing if you have fat sausage fingers.

I reverted to win 8.1 waiting for a build stable enough to get back to 10. Now that it seems this build have arrived, I can't install it, there's a message saying they tried installing from the SD card but an error happened. :(

Don't punish me MS, I swear i'll never revert back to w8.1 again.

PG2G

I reverted to win 8.1 waiting for a build stable enough to get back to 10. Now that it seems this build have arrived, I can't install it, there's a message saying they tried installing from the SD card but an error happened. :(

Don't punish me MS, I swear i'll never revert back to w8.1 again.

I had that problem. Took the SD card out and tried again, kept complaining about space. I cleared a lot of space, it kept complaining about space. I put the SD card back in and tried again and it worked, weird

Paganmoon

New build seems much more responsive, at least for now, lets see if it degrades with time.
Mail app has a bit of a lagg though, tapping to select a mail seems a bit slow, but it could be an issue with my screen (it's shattered after all).
But the store loads quick, and apps start without much issue.

Still won't put it on my daily driver (mostly as I don't want to redo all my authenticators). Will wait for 950 before running it as a daily driver.

I had that problem. Took the SD card out and tried again, kept complaining about space. I cleared a lot of space, it kept complaining about space. I put the SD card back in and tried again and it worked, weird

I did all that and now it seems it installed, however, when my phone boots after the windows logo I got only a black screen as if the device was turned off. The only thing that works is the reset gesture, but it only takes me to the boot and then to the blank screen again.

Edit: I took the sd card out and it booted. I'm thinking that's a bad sign XD

JaggedSac

I did all that and now it seems it installed, however, when my phone boots after the windows logo I got only a black screen as if the device was turned off. The only thing that works is the reset gesture, but it only takes me to the boot and then to the blank screen again.

I think they mentioned a known issue where a blank can last for up to 5 minutes after updating to this build. Let it sit and they say it is good to go afterwards.

Nikodemos

So it seems the HTC M8 with Windows won't make it out of the US anytime soon, and, at any rate, it's above what i can afford.

Thus I ask of you another question: 2nd hand 925 32 GB or 2nd hand 830?

I have been trying to use a custom ringtome of my phone for days now and I just looked online and people are saying that with windows 10 mobile the format has to be m4r. Is this true, and why would they stop supporting mp3's?

NeOak

So it seems the HTC M8 with Windows won't make it out of the US anytime soon, and, at any rate, it's above what i can afford.

Thus I ask of you another question: 2nd hand 925 32 GB or 2nd hand 830?
830 due to having a newer SoC IMO, and wireless charging.

Klocker

Still can not get custom text tones to work with contacts... ring works but not text for some reason

Otherwise this build is solid man.. and fast. outlook updated last night as well and seems quicker

Nikodemos

830 due to having a newer SoC IMO, and wireless charging.
I can get a charging sleeve for the 925 on the cheap. I was under the impression that the SoC inside it, despite being older, is slightly better due to a more powerful GPU and beefier Krait cores (as opposed to the bog-standard Cortex-A7s in the 830).

JaggedSac

I am going to part with my M8 after the 950s release. I would be willing to part with that for cheap if you could use it on your network.

joshschw

I can get a charging sleeve for the 925 on the cheap. I was under the impression that the SoC inside it, despite being older, is slightly better due to a more powerful GPU and beefier Krait cores (as opposed to the bog-standard Cortex-A7s in the 830).

The newer 4-core phones run better over the older ones though.
Don't look at benchmarks.

better performance, battery, and everything.

Nikodemos

I am going to part with my M8 after the 950s release. I would be willing to part with that for cheap if you could use it on your network.
Sadly, I'm half a world away. If it has custom Verizon or AT&T stuff on top of Windows, that's basically a no-go.

The newer 4-core phones run better over the older ones though.
Don't look at benchmarks.

better performance, battery, and everything.
I'm somewhat aware of that. My Xperia M2 (same SD400 as the 830) is supposed to be completely incompatible with WoT Blitz, but I can play it just fine (at minimum detail, however), with the only issue being sometimes freezing on exit (necessitating a soft reset).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sadly, I'm half a world away. If it has custom Verizon or AT&T stuff on top of Windows, that's basically a no-go.

Windows phone isn't Android, you can delete any carrier app. All you have to find out is if the radios work where you live, and then the phone would have to be unlocked.

Get the 830, if only for the 12-18 months software support it got left in it. Hopefully.

Went from a 925 to an 830, I'd say get the 830. Device looks better, screen isn't pentile, has SD slot, Bluetooth 4.0, apps may be a bit smoother? 925 has clearblack tho

Klocker

Is in a known bug in Windows 10 that edge will not import favorites or use favorites from your live account??

I have a sync favorites toggle that I cannot change from off in a red text that said I must be signed in for this feature and I am signed in with a live account on my phone.

Also, when will we be able to sync web pages between Windows 10 in edge?

I think they mentioned a known issue where a blank can last for up to 5 minutes after updating to this build. Let it sit and they say it is good to go afterwards.

It was blank for more than 3 hours XD

After removing the sdcard it did finished, but no app would open (not even the settings app). After a couple resets the built in apps started opening and I end up hard resetting, I think it's all fine now, except for the whole "store don't update apps in background" that was always the issue for me.

This build is indeed way faster, at least initially. Skype still isn't integrated on either the phone or people app to me, but there are updates pending, so fingers crossed!

why do I even bother going to the verge anymore? I check once a week or so and will occasionally read a review. I think these people seriously live on a different planet than I do.

I was a non believer, but damn, Ms really did it. This new build is incredible and feels really close to final. And they still have time to polish it even further.

Getting an update error in the settings menu while prepping to update to 10581 from 10572, tried it a couple of times. Anyone else have an issue?

I'm in not rush tbh, 10572 has been great on my 1520.

dLMN8R

Ok folks, tell me if I'm insane or just too invested in the Microsoft kool-aid after working there for 7 years but...

What the fuck is up with all the admiration of Macbook keyboards and trackpads?

I mean, yeah the trackpads are great, and OS X handles them well, but I've used them extensively in the past and tried them again today in the Apple Store just to make sure I remembered correctly. I seriously don't see them as being any better than the best Windows laptop trackpads. Especially not the Surface Book or the Type Cover 4. The latest Type Cover and the Surface Book have incredible trackpads with zero latency. The macbooks I tried (Pro, Air, and the new piece of shit) all have a tiny bit of perceptible latency.

Two-finger scrolling is more consistent in OS X, but in native Windows apps (especially Edge and such) there's no difference between Macbook trackpads and Windows trackpads on the latest Type Cover and in the Book.

But the keyboards? Holy shit, the keyboards. The Air and Pro have good keyboards, but they're hardly worth the endless admiration and default "best" status that tech blogs treat them as having.

But the new piece of shit 12-inch Macbook? Good lord. Holy fucking shit. That is THE WORST FUCKING LAPTOP KEYBOARD I'VE EVER USED. It's worse than the first Type Cover for the first Surface. It's practically no better than the touch cover. I cannot believe that The Verge has the fucking gall to write some bullshit forced admiration like this about that god damned piece of fucking shit keyboard
At first, I hated it. It felt weird to have each button move so little when I pressed down on it. But it didn't take long at all for me to change my mind. The combination of all those new parts meant that the essential friction and "clack" that make up any great keyboard is still here, just different than what I was used to. I can bang away on this thing or type more softly, and both feel completely satisfying. The only real hassles are the redesigned up and down arrow keys: they're entirely too small.

I used the Type Cover 3 has my main work keyboard for 18 months and it's a billion times better than the 12-inch Macbook keyboard. I never want to be in the same room with that piece of shit ever in my life.

Anyway, just a random late-night rant after an otherwise awesome day! <3 you all

Apple trackpads are indeed good, but they are still trackpads, still sucks compared to even cheap terrible mouses, and for gestures a mouse and a touch screen are so much better.

Imo, this obsession with the tech media on them is just them stretching reality to fit in their agenda, so they won't acknowledge the existence of anything better to use than trackpads, and will overstate their quality to the max, so in their minds, there's always something that an apple device is the best of all and other devices shall be compared in this very arbitrary metric and deemed not as good.

n64coder

the fuck is up with all the admiration of Macbook keyboards and trackpads?

I mean, yeah the trackpads are great, and OS X handles them well, but I've used them extensively in the past and tried them again today in the Apple Store just to make sure I remembered correctly. I seriously don't see them as being any better than the best Windows laptop trackpads. Especially not the Surface Book or the Type Cover 4. The latest Type Cover and the Surface Book have incredible trackpads with zero latency. The macbooks I tried (Pro, Air, and the new piece of shit) all have a tiny bit of perceptible latency.

I haven't used the Mac trackpad extensively but from the limited time I spent with it, it seems to do a better job at detecting false touching. It annoys me when I'm typing on the keyboard and the bottom of my thumb touches the keypad and causes the cursor to move. It doesn't seem to happen with the Mac trackpad as best I can tell. It happens occasionally with my SP3 Pro but a lot less than the Sony Vaio I had before.

Does anyone else gave this experience?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
and will overstate their quality to the max, so in their minds, there's always something that an apple device is the best of all and other devices shall be compared in this very arbitrary metric and deemed not as good.

This is the case with the iPhone camera. I'm telling you folks, don't believe the hype. Those cameras have never been better than lumia cameras and this year they were overtaken by the cameras on top tier Android phones. The iPhone 6s, the small model, is the tech press' dirty little secret. Every time you see an iPhone camera reference, people are talking about the Plus model. Then the common thinking is that the smaller model is just as good save for lack of ois. Bull. It's mediocre, it's not top tier. My wife went from a galaxy s6 to an iPhone 6s and she complains about how bad both the front and back camera were compared to the galaxy. I thought she was exaggerating, so we did comparisons. It's mediocre. My LG G4 beats it, my 930 beats it. Don't believe the tech press hype, because all of it refers to the Plus version.

maeh2k

Ok folks, tell me if I'm insane or just too invested in the Microsoft kool-aid after working there for 7 years but...

What the fuck is up with all the admiration of Macbook keyboards and trackpads?

The Macbook keyboard is vastly overrated. I can see why people coming from cheap Windows notebooks appreciate them, but I'll happily stick with my Thinkpad. It's not just the feel of pressing they keys, either. I like my separate backspace and delete keys.

As for trackpads, the Macbook trackpads are still superior to most (if not all) Windows trackpads. Just putting in some off-the-shelf synaptics touchpad with shitty drivers doesn't result in the same kind of quality.

That said, there are some decent trackpads on Windows machines. Supposedly the Surface Book one pretty much matches the Macbook ones. I have the impression that Dell also has some pretty good ones. But even in high-end devices a lot of them just aren't quite there yet. The clickpad in current Thinkpads is horrible if you actually want to click it instead of just tapping it. The gestures don't work as well, either.

None of the OEMs puts in the same effort as Apple or Microsoft. Even Chromebook input devices are generally seen as superior to most Windows laptops'.

PG2G

So I'm om W10 now, does the "Choose the best lighting" button in the camera app do anything? I expected it to launch a new screen with adjustable lighting like in W8.1. Instead it doesn't do anything, doesn't even have an icon, just blank square and text

Getting an update error in the settings menu while prepping to update to 10581 from 10572, tried it a couple of times. Anyone else have an issue?

I'm in not rush tbh, 10572 has been great on my 1520.

If you were getting the same error as me there is no other choice than to rollback to 8.1. I'm currently installing the new preview now after doing so (finally)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ld-10581/d6b7a3af-c202-4d4f-85e9-4c59f6323064

Apparently from this build that should never happen.

Top Bottom