• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

joshschw

Hooray! I had no big issues on 10572 though. Battery was amazing, honestly as good as 8.1 ever was.

Will appreciate having visual voicemail back for sure. Downloading now.

Hope for some more smoothness and glitchy-bug fixes.

Still not a huge fan of many of the animations. They all seem very bad to me, lacking the beauty and polish of the earlier releases. That being said, I'm only using the OS on a bad piece of hardware, which probably accentuates animation frame rate issues.

I'm looking forward to finally stealing a coworkers' more up to date engineering device and playing around with it for a while.

Pretty sure I'm moving to T-Mobile, as they'll eat my Verizon cancellation fee

Making the same move as well. I picked up the 640 for my wife and mom.I came away impressed. For what you pay they are solid devices and more than adequate for them. I wouldn't even mind using it for a while until the 950 XL becomes available. A band 2 and Luma 950 XL bundle would be amazing if a decent discount was offered.

hadareud

The Translator
New build is definitely even faster and smoother.

I would go as far as to say that it's fucking rapid. When you think that the hardware in the 1020 is now basically over 3 years old it's really impressive.

clav

New build is definitely even faster and smoother.

I would go as far as to say that it's fucking rapid. When you think that the hardware in the 1020 is now basically over 3 years old it's really impressive.

Then again, when you design an OS that runs on 520 hardware, anything better than that will run smooth.

hadareud

The Translator
Sure, but it's still impressive imo.

I mean, it's a new OS that's probably designed mostly with new (or newish) devices in mind. How many people will actually update their 520's to W10 Mobile? Very few, I would think. If they even make it available.

Even 920s and 1020s etc will not be used very much anymore going forward.

kazinova

In case people are curious:

Here are some things we have fixed:

• For devices upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 like the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, and Lumia 1520 that had the “Hey Cortana” feature – with this build “Hey Cortana” should work again in Windows 10. To make sure it’s turned on, just go to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana.
  • You can now select photos for sharing through third party apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram Beta, WhatsApp etc.
  • Battery life should be improved in this build. We fixed several bugs impacting battery life.
  • We fixed an issue where you couldn’t choose some apps to show quick status on the Lock screen via Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
  • We’ve made improvements to text prediction and auto-correction.
  • Video recording functionality has been improved.
  • Visual Voicemail sync should now work properly.
  • We fixed the dual-SIM issues that appeared in Build 10572.
  • We fixed the issue found with Build 10572 where the Chinese Pinyin QWERTY keyboard stopped working after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 that our Chinese Windows Insiders reported.

Known issues:

• As with previous builds, after applying this update the device may appear at a black screen for about 5 minutes when transition between the spinning gears and the final stages of update. Just be patient and it should progress past it. Exact time will vary by device.
  • You will be unable to set your default save locations via Settings > System > Storage and will not correctly reflect the current storage settings. If you are using a SD card in your phone, it will show up as a garbled name in Storage settings. Whatever you had configured for your save locations in the previous build will be the same.
  • After moving some apps to a SD card, those apps might crash. The workaround is to reboot your phone and those apps should work fine thereafter.
  • Deploying Silverlight apps through Visual Studio to your phone won’t work in this build. You can deploy UWP apps to your phone without any issues.
  • If you restore a backup from a phone that had a different resolution, you may end up with a corrupted Start experience. The workaround is to go to Action Center (which won’t be corrupted) then Settings > Personalization > Start and apply a different background picture.

joshschw

Is the lockscreen no longer going to swipe up but stay in place with just the text moving?

Been that way for me since last build and figured it was a bug.

In case people are curious:

Here are some things we have fixed:

• For devices upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 like the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, and Lumia 1520 that had the “Hey Cortana” feature – with this build “Hey Cortana” should work again in Windows 10. To make sure it’s turned on, just go to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana.
  • You can now select photos for sharing through third party apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram Beta, WhatsApp etc.
  • Battery life should be improved in this build. We fixed several bugs impacting battery life.
  • We fixed an issue where you couldn’t choose some apps to show quick status on the Lock screen via Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
  • We’ve made improvements to text prediction and auto-correction.
  • Video recording functionality has been improved.
  • Visual Voicemail sync should now work properly.
  • We fixed the dual-SIM issues that appeared in Build 10572.
  • We fixed the issue found with Build 10572 where the Chinese Pinyin QWERTY keyboard stopped working after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 that our Chinese Windows Insiders reported.

Known issues:

• As with previous builds, after applying this update the device may appear at a black screen for about 5 minutes when transition between the spinning gears and the final stages of update. Just be patient and it should progress past it. Exact time will vary by device.
  • You will be unable to set your default save locations via Settings > System > Storage and will not correctly reflect the current storage settings. If you are using a SD card in your phone, it will show up as a garbled name in Storage settings. Whatever you had configured for your save locations in the previous build will be the same.
  • After moving some apps to a SD card, those apps might crash. The workaround is to reboot your phone and those apps should work fine thereafter.
  • Deploying Silverlight apps through Visual Studio to your phone won’t work in this build. You can deploy UWP apps to your phone without any issues.
  • If you restore a backup from a phone that had a different resolution, you may end up with a corrupted Start experience. The workaround is to go to Action Center (which won’t be corrupted) then Settings > Personalization > Start and apply a different background picture.

Great news about hey cortona working again. I hope they fixed the bluetooth bug I have. I have a soundmine speaker in my car. It worked fine with my phone on 8.1, but since I upgraded to 10, it says cant connect every time I try to pair it to my phone.

My cars (well car and van) are like that as well, and neither will connect to Cortana directly using it. However, when you connect to your vehicle it should add a Cortana entry in your phone book. If you call it (I set it as a quick dial in my vehicles) then it will trigger Cortana to listen for your commands. It's not quite a one press Cortana button, but it's close enough.
Cortana through the car's phone book worked like a charm. it's exactly what i was looking for. I can keep my phone stored away while using cortana through my car's microphone.

Thanks.

ElNino

Cortana through the car's phone book worked like a charm. it's exactly what i was looking for. I can keep my phone stored away while using cortana through my car's microphone.

Thanks.
No problem, glad it worked for you. My only issue is that my van occasionally has problems picking up my voice over Bluetooth, but the car works flawlessly.

Klocker

Thx will keep checking

Edt... Didn't realize I needed to reactivate preview builds in insider app after install last time... Done and downloading now

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man this build is awesome. I can notice performance difference in everyway possible. I can totally see them shipping the final version within a month.

joshschw

Big Bug:

Try loading a document in Word, or maybe other apps as well, - AND PRINTING IT - and it turns off Wi-Fi, and doesn't let me even turn it back on, giving an error. Tried to report it but that crashed.

Could someone else try? I was trying to see if any new printers were supported.

Edit: I am also hard resetting now, way too many crashes so hopefully it's an anomaly....

EDIT: AND TRY PRINTING IT! that was a big omission lol

JaggedSac

Big Bug:

Try loading a document in Word, or maybe other apps as well, and it turns off Wi-Fi, and doesn't let me even turn it back on, giving an error. Tried to report it but that crashed.

Edit: I am also hard resetting now, way too many crashes so hopefully it's an anomaly....

Will try when my update finishes.

Razdek

Banned
Big Bug:

Try loading a document in Word, or maybe other apps as well, and it turns off Wi-Fi, and doesn't let me even turn it back on, giving an error. Tried to report it but that crashed.

Nope, works fine on my 830.

joshschw

Interesting, it is still doing it even after my hard reset on 1520.

Oh well, tried to report it, hope they got the feedback.

I am noticing Outlook seems rather crashy on this build too. Before & After reset.

Will try when my update finishes.

Edit: and try PRINTING it. when the print dialog comes on the wifi goes. That was a major omission in my post ;)

Razdek

Banned

I am noticing Outlook seems rather crashy on this build too. Before & After reset.

Edit: and try PRINTING it. when the print dialog comes on the wifi goes. That was a major omission in my post ;)

Yep, wifi goes out when trying to print in Word and can't turn it back on.

ty_hot

Moved in to Technical Preview. Let's see how things have evolved. I was used to use Cyanogenmod on my old Android phones so its ok to have bugs. I used to update my phones with nightly versions everyday :D

Klocker

My Epson printer is not supported so Word looked for a printer for a while and eventually I was able to just choose PDF and print to that and closed it out, no errors no loss of WiFi.... edit...

But just noticed my auto brightness settings no longer work don't know if it happened after trying to print or since the update in general just restarted and it was wonky but started working again... and insider hub won't load..

Also it is not saving my windows insider preview build settings

hadareud

The Translator
There's one thing that still annoys me greatly in WP10.

App list:

b7uRqTi.png

Groove:

M0aA3T6.png

People app:

6xeYax9.png

Why not make it the same everywhere/align and centre it correctly? And why are the app controls showing up in the people app so you can't select the last few letters of the alphabet without selecting something you don't give a shit about?

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Suerte

Interface can be tidied up over time, but the main thing I want for the launch is a stable build e.g. no random phone reboots a la WP8 at launch / until the first 'Portico' update.

hadareud

The Translator
Interface can be tidied up over time, but the main thing I want for the launch is a stable build e.g. no random phone reboots a la WP8 at launch / until the first 'Portico' update.

Definitely.

But now that they've made great inroads on the stability front I think it's fair to start pointing out the inconsistencies. When your phone is becoming fun to use again as it is now you just notice the small annoying things much more.

Now's the time for the visual polish and for reducing inconsistencies in the OS and between the phone and PC OS's, too.

Paganmoon

Astoria hasn't worked for me on my 1020 since the last build (the one that broke upgrade path for a bit). Apps crashed at launch after that update, and after this update, I can't even launch the apps.

Novocaine

Restarted to install the new update and I'm met with a continuous loop of restart > gears for about 5 seconds > frown emoticon > repeat.

Can't use the recovery tool on my PC, and trying to boot into recovery mode with volume down + power doesn't work.

Any ideas? On a 640

hadareud

The Translator
Recovery tool is the only way, I would think.

Why can't you use it on your PC?

Astoria hasn't worked for me on my 1020 since the last build (the one that broke upgrade path for a bit). Apps crashed at launch after that update, and after this update, I can't even launch the apps.

Wasn't this a very early version of Astoria?

With so many things still changing in builds I'd be surprised if a half year old version of the tool still works 10 builds later.

Top Bottom