• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

Alternate route selection and side of the road of destination are two pretty good mapping enhancements I've been wanting. Good to hear they are there. Now they need to add lane directions like Google's.

Turns out the new maps app does have lane information. So I guess there are now no features from Google maps that I would like in the Windows Maps app.

Why can't I still back up? I'm trying to use the backup option in 8.1 and it hasn't backed up in over 5 months. Even doing just a Settings backup, it gets stuck near the end and gives up.

hankster

Turns out the new maps app does have lane information. So I guess there are now no features from Google maps that I would like in the Windows Maps app.
Does it tell you if your destination is on the left or right now? It's a little thing but when you are navigating in an unfamiliar area is a very nice thing.

2nd day on the new build has been really smooth too.

It definitely feels finished except for very minor bugs.

My main concern still is the skype integration, it's still just the messages app and the video calling app. In the people app it will only allow me to skype call or text the contacts i have on skype. I'm starting to think that skype being integrated as a alternative to normal calling is not coming :(

(Which would be terrible, because the win phone skype app is just the worst)

Treo360

Has the messages sync been fixed yet? Last build left me with about a year of text messages, this new one has left me with 3 months :( thinking a reset might be in order.

Soooooo Edge crashes on startup. Any ideas?

Also my battery is draining while on the charger. Other than that, very pretty! I like the features I've seen!...

maeh2k

Why can't I still back up? I'm trying to use the backup option in 8.1 and it hasn't backed up in over 5 months. Even doing just a Settings backup, it gets stuck near the end and gives up.

Happens sometimes. You need to delete the existing backup first (manage backups > delete). Then triggering a be one should work.

ty_hot

Tech Preview seems good on my 640. The new Microsoft apps are cool, but I am still getting used to them (I came back to the Windows Phone because of the News/Sports app and Here Maps basically).

2 problems:

yesterday I didnt have Data connection at all. I went to Settings > Network > Cellular and Sim and it showed nothing, only the link to 'Learn More'. I came here to complain about it and now its working (I rebooted it earlier today, that probably solved the problem).

So yesterday I was all day without Data connection (problem above), WiFi on all the time (even when I am not at home), didn't use it much, just occasional Whatsapp messages. By the end of the day I had 70% battery. Impressive, even though without Data.

Another thing, Cortana doesnt work. I press the search button, it goes to cortana, wants me to go to Settings, I select it, it seems to load some new page and fails then go back to the same page. Beh.

KageMaru

Does it feel you if your destination is on the left or right now? It's a little thing but when you are navigating in an unfamiliar area is a very nice thing.

It doesn't verbally tell you on the left or right, but it'll tell you in the on-screen instructions.

KageMaru

Tried to help my friend update to Windows 10 but he was receiving an error on his phone. Looked it up and the solution was to reset his phone but now he's stuck in this endless loop of showing the gears and eventually getting a Frowny face. Told him to use the Lumia recovery tools application but he only has a Windows Vista PC. Does anyone have any suggestions to what he can do?

ty_hot

Tried to help my friend update to Windows 10 but he was receiving an error on his phone. Looked it up and the solution was to reset his phone but now he's stuck in this endless loop of showing the gears and eventually getting a Frowny face. Told him to use the Lumia recovery tools application but he only has a Windows Vista PC. Does anyone have any suggestions to what he can do?

Only the recovery app can help.

You can all stop waiting on the Surface Phone now and preorder the 950s. It's probably gonna have a shit camera.

They also report that Microsoft is indeed working on the Intel-powered Surface phone, which will be aimed at businesses, feature support for win32 apps and have “enhanced continuum.”

From earlier rumours the Surface phone is set for the first half of 2016 and will not necessarily feature flagship specs.

Nikodemos

^^^^ I don't see this as surprising. Businesses dont necessarily like overly expensive high performance hardware. They prefer to go for functionality and ruggedness.

Although I look forward to a phone designed by the Surface team from a design perspective, a phone running Win32 apps is baffling to me.

Although I look forward to a phone designed by the Surface team from a design perspective, a phone running Win32 apps is baffling to me.

It has to be limited to continuum mode. There's no other way. And the enhanced version of it also has to support windowed apps, unlike the current incarnation.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
New build is excellent, getting very close to RTM.

yea I disagree. More bugs than ever in things I actually use. Text messaging, brings up the keyboard, but the text entry box is not available. You have to hit the back button then press inside the text entry box to actually see what your typing. Also sharing a photo from photos as a text brings up a new text message window, but then when you start typing a name it doesn't actually search your contacts, have to hit the + sign to scroll through contacts.

Occasionally it doesn't show that a text message sent, until you close the app then re-open it.

And that's just in text messaging...

joshschw

yea I disagree. More bugs than ever in things I actually use. Text messaging, brings up the keyboard, but the text entry box is not available. You have to hit the back button then press inside the text entry box to actually see what your typing. Also sharing a photo from photos as a text brings up a new text message window, but then when you start typing a name it doesn't actually search your contacts, have to hit the + sign to scroll through contacts.

Occasionally it doesn't show that a text message sent, until you close the app then re-open it.

Outlook & Texting are the two buggiest right now. I have given up on Photo app ever being as quick as it used to be - just by the nature of how it's an app vs built-in.

Sadly, just like desktop these things have nothing to do with RTMing the OS build. They still are poor apps on desktop as well - though I'd argue not as buggy.

KageMaru

Yeah I can't imagine how poorly win32 apps will run, not to mention how fast that will kill the battery.

Shame. It could say it if it could spell it out, and it would be safer that way.

I wonder if they are still recording more lines with Jen Taylor to include that in the future.

hadareud

The Translator

Like josh said, I don't think that's necessarily much to do with the OS itself.

The messaging app has been poo since the start on W10, with texts going missing or no notifications appearing, it being slow and laggy as shit etc. The latest update that came a day or two after the latest build has made it at least a lot quicker for me, but I don't doubt that it's still buggy as fuck.

Outlook has been pretty ok for me for a while, though I did have to re-pin the tiles after the latest update because they were no longer updating. However, they syncing now seems to be much more reliable than before (emails are arriving immediately now, as you should expect).

I do think there's still some work to do. Battery life is worse for me for some reason since the latest build and I also think that there's still all sorts of problems with the updating process itself where a lot of bugs and problems come from and why hard resets are still necessary.

I've given up hope that they'll fix the visual inconsistencies in time for launch since there's still a lot of under-the-hood work to be done. But I am pretty hopeful that it will run smoothly and relatively bug free on the new phones when they are released.

Suerte

Looks like a few European retailers have started cutting the cost of the 950 and XL already - Amazon France is doing them for £400/£462.

Still have my 950 pre-ordered with MS but starting to be tempted by the XL...

The Display Dock for the 950 and 950 XL can only output 1920x1080, which is weird and a bit disappointing, from a technical standpoint.

Lucius86

Banned
I just upgraded to the latest W10 fast insider preview for my work phone, Lumia 630.

My God, this phone is actually usable now.

KageMaru

The Display Dock for the 950 and 950 XL can only output 1920x1080, which is weird and a bit disappointing, from a technical standpoint.

I wonder if the choice to allow the phone to still function even while docked limited what the devices could output to other displays. The hardware needs to render WQHD and full HD at the same time.

captive

Outlook & Texting are the two buggiest right now. I have given up on Photo app ever being as quick as it used to be - just by the nature of how it's an app vs built-in.

Sadly, just like desktop these things have nothing to do with RTMing the OS build. They still are poor apps on desktop as well - though I'd argue not as buggy.

Like josh said, I don't think that's necessarily much to do with the OS itself.

The messaging app has been poo since the start on W10, with texts going missing or no notifications appearing, it being slow and laggy as shit etc. The latest update that came a day or two after the latest build has made it at least a lot quicker for me, but I don't doubt that it's still buggy as fuck.

Outlook has been pretty ok for me for a while, though I did have to re-pin the tiles after the latest update because they were no longer updating. However, they syncing now seems to be much more reliable than before (emails are arriving immediately now, as you should expect).

I do think there's still some work to do. Battery life is worse for me for some reason since the latest build and I also think that there's still all sorts of problems with the updating process itself where a lot of bugs and problems come from and why hard resets are still necessary.

I've given up hope that they'll fix the visual inconsistencies in time for launch since there's still a lot of under-the-hood work to be done. But I am pretty hopeful that it will run smoothly and relatively bug free on the new phones when they are released.

Sorry but as a user I couldn't care less whether or not SMS texting is considered a part of the OS or a separate app or not. SMS texting is one of the most basic tenants of owning a smart phone, which sounds ridiculous but its a fact. There is also no other alternative to SMS texting, its not like we can just so oh the default app sucks lets get another one. I've been on the preview since july, and while there have been other issues, SMS texting was not nearly this buggy. If these issues were on iPhone with SMS/imessage people would be rioting in the streets.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, but connecting it to a higher res display results in a blurry image. That would be really annoying.

Definitely.

Though I suspect where it will mainly be useful will be on TV screens when you're on holiday or in hotels or on office monitors which are not usually that high res.

I still think that the feature is a gimmick in the first place. I don't see people getting much use out of it to be honest.

Maybe it's different in emerging markets, but then again, who buys a high-end phone in emerging markets.

hadareud

The Translator
Sorry but as a user I couldn't care less whether or not SMS texting is considered a part of the OS or a separate app or not.

I didn't suggest that you have to care. Just that that it's more likely that the app is shit and not the OS.

SMS texting is one of the most basic tenants of owning a smart phone, which sounds ridiculous but its a fact. There is also no other alternative to SMS texting, its not like we can just so oh the default app sucks lets get another one. I've been on the preview since july, and while there have been other issues, SMS texting was not nearly this buggy*. If these issues were on iPhone with SMS/imessage people would be rioting in the streets.

*for you.

I've had one build where texting didn't work at all. I definitely remember someone in this thread having the same issue. Others might have had some other debilitating problems with other apps and features.

As for people rioting, it's a beta (actually, it's not even a beta, it's an alpha). If you install it, you have to be prepared for things not to work at times, even basic things. I know it's fucking annoying, but it is what it is.

Lets hope they sort out these issues by the time the new phones are out.

captive

I didn't suggest that you have to care. Just that that it's more likely that the app is shit and not the OS.

*for you.

I've had one build where texting didn't work at all. I definitely remember someone in this thread having the same issue. Others might have had some other debilitating problems with other apps and features.

As for people rioting, it's a beta (actually, it's not even a beta, it's an alpha). If you install it, you have to be prepared for things not to work at times, even basic things. I know it's fucking annoying, but it is what it is.

Lets hope they sort out these issues by the time the new phones are out.
Right I understand its a beta. But you guys were saying its close to RTM, I said I disagree because of the texting issues. My apple comment was implying that if they released this to RTM like this.

hadareud

The Translator
Agreed.

I still wonder whether the problem is app or OS related. It could well be due to the update process not working as intended and things being corrupted.

I don't think this build is ready for RTM for what it's worth. But I do think that it's getting pretty close to being ready now if they can sort out the last few issues.

Also, I think it's important to remember that initially the OS will officially only be released on the new phones and that the update for the old phones will come some time after that. They may well be further ahead on the new hardware than they are on whatever we're using on the insider preview. At least you would hope that they'd optimise it for the new devices first.

I believe 60fps is at 1080p. Still needs a 120fps and 240fps option, even at a lower res.

Auto focusing looks really good, by far better than previous Lumias.

JaggedSac

I believe 60fps is at 1080p. Still needs a 120fps and 240fps option, even at a lower res.

Auto focusing looks really good, by far better than previous Lumias.

Yep, I was just looking for a tweet where Juha mentioned it and yeah, there is 60fps for 1080p. 120 and 240 would be good features. Hardware is capable, they just need to write the software.

Top Bottom