• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hankster

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1192641-REG/microsoft_a00026803_lumia_950_rm_1118_32gb.html

1446138964000_IMG_547807.jpg

Wow, what a shitty thing to do. Make bold claims and give tons of storage and then pull it back on ya.

Seriously. If I didn't buy an Office 365 sub I would have to delete pretty much my entire music collection by the end of the year. What the hell.

The only winners here are Google and Amazon. I can't understand why they make their personal cloud less appealing when the entire business segment is becoming more and more of an utility rather than a service.

What the what at these OneDrive changes...baffling. I'm a 365 user, so I'm not really affected by this, but many people will be negatively impacted by this.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/02/microsoft-is-cutting-off-unlimited-onedrive/

So, they give me no reasonable way to even transfer my photos off of Win10 Mobile, because "use the cloud"

Now they're giving me teensy storage.

Nice. haha

edit: I have 14GB stored on there. Wonder what will happen.

I know they have to monetize it but this just seem like crappy way to do thing. Mine already max out earlier this year because all the promo expired.

Edit: You just can't upload any more and it is just frozen to read only. One Drive app is pretty slow on Android and I hate Windows 10 implementation so might be looking for alternative as it seems less and less likely I will be back on Windows Phone.

Doffen

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/02/microsoft-is-cutting-off-unlimited-onedrive/

So, they give me no reasonable way to even transfer my photos off of Win10 Mobile, because "use the cloud"

Now they're giving me teensy storage.

Nice. haha

edit: I have 14GB stored on there. Wonder what will happen.

What a shitty way of saying "Thank you for sticking with Windows!".
I still got 100GB from a Bing promo until 2017. Also got some sort of OneDrive for business that I haven't really checked out yet.

Argh this 635 is really going to shit. I'm not sure I can wait another couple months until the 950 comes out, and even then I don't know if I want to pay $600 for a phone. I think I might get a 640. But will I actually see a significant improvement over the 635, or will I still have to deal with apps and webpages crashing whenever someone posts one too many animated gifs?

Anyone upgrade from 635 to 640? How was was it?

Then again this OneDrive new policy is really pissing me off. Maybe I should look at an Android.

Tablo

635 to 640 for 60$ was a huge upgrade for me.
It's wayyyyy better. The gap will widen once W10 hits these devices too IMO

hadareud

The Translator
What a weird move regarding OneDrive.

It's not like people will pay for extra storage and the free storage/large amount of storage was free advertising for the service. I strongly suspect that most people only use a fraction of their available space anyway, so why take it away?

I have 40 GB of storage on OneDrive and have 23 GB left.

I'm still speechless. Like I said in the thread, I understand removing the unlimited option and replacing it with 1 TB. But going from 15 GB to 5 GB? In 2015? That's just fucking insane.

Depending how they handle this incredibly awful PR move, I'm switching to Dropbox. Even if it should be more expensive in the end, Microsoft simply can not be trusted, if they're willing to pull shit like this.

Paganmoon

Why remove camera roll storage? wth...

I got 1 TB from Office 365 license I got with my 640 for the next year, so I'll survive, hopefully they give the 15GB camera roll back before the 365 license runs out.

Are these new OneDrive caps hitting everybody or just new customers? I'm currently sitting on 9.99TB free. I'm never going to come close to filling it but they gave me that space so I'd like to keep a hold of it thanks.

JaggedSac

I have 40 GB of storage on OneDrive and have 23 GB left.

I'm still speechless. Like I said in the thread, I understand removing the unlimited option and replacing it with 1 TB. But going from 15 GB to 5 GB? In 2015? That's just fucking insane.

Depending how they handle this incredibly awful PR move, I'm switching to Dropbox. Even if it should be more expensive in the end, Microsoft simply can not be trusted, if they're willing to pull shit like this.

All they had going for them was the more generous storage. Their syncing is worse and their apps are generally worse than the competition. Mind boggling.

NeOak

Wait, OneDrive on W10 is worse than on Windows 7? lol wat

Delaying my W10 upgrade until the last day. Fuck that. I can't put everything on my Surface Pro 2 -.-

ty_hot

Why remove camera roll storage? wth...

I got 1 TB from Office 365 license I got with my 640 for the next year, so I'll survive, hopefully they give the 15GB camera roll back before the 365 license runs out.
I have a 640 and never heard of this. Is it a worldwide deal?

hadareud

The Translator

PG2G

This sucks, looks like I'm currently using about 20 gigs. Hope they don't kill the 100 GB for Groove subscribers that I appear to have.

ty_hot

That excuse of how people were "abusing" the system is laughable.

You stored too many things in your unlimited storage! Now we're taking it away from you. By the way, please don't store things we don't like in your unlimited storage, but please store everything in your storage.

Ridiculous. They make themselves look like twats.

hello sir we will have to change our terms of service
which terms?
regarding your unlimited storage
why?
because you are using too much of it
(?????????)

MS just royally pissed on their OneDrive customers.

Cloud first, eh Satya?

Yeah, for a company focused on cloud first onedrive seems to be an afterthought for a while now.

Still bitter by the way Onedrive shipped in win10, and the fact that clearly it won't improve by the time TH2 arrives.

That excuse of how people were "abusing" the system is laughable.

You stored too many things in your unlimited storage! Now we're taking it away from you. By the way, please don't store things we don't like in your unlimited storage, but please store everything in your storage.

Ridiculous. They make themselves look like twats.

The best part of that blog post is that they explain how they want OneDrive to be used as a productivity tool and not backup storage.

You're offering free cloud storage to private customers. It shouldn't be any of your business how they use it. Not to mention that I don't see how people are going to be more productive with less storage, free or paid (15GB to 5GB and 100GB for 1.99 to 50GB for 1.99).

Ugh. It's been hours since the announcement and I'm still incredibly baffled by that decision.

Isn't Dropbox's free tier still about 5? I always thought OneDrive would always be the most, despite the poor sharing options. They are not taking my barely used space away.

Isn't Dropbox's free tier still about 5? I always thought OneDrive would always be the most, despite the poor sharing options. They are not taking my barely used space away.

The Dropbox free tier is 2 GB, but Google offers 15 GB free and unlimited storage for (compressed) photos.

hwalker84

Wait, OneDrive on W10 is worse than on Windows 7? lol wat

Delaying my W10 upgrade until the last day. Fuck that. I can't put everything on my Surface Pro 2 -.-

Yep it's absolute shit in Windows 10. Easier for the idiots massive step back for people that know what they're doing.

joshschw

All they had going for them was the more generous storage. Their syncing is worse and their apps are generally worse than the competition. Mind boggling.

They also have by far the best web interface for sharing, so that's a major plus for me, as well as being built in to all my devices.

Top Bottom