• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

I have a 640 and never heard of this. Is it a worldwide deal?

Was available up until summer afaik, not sure the deal is there anymore, there was an app to download called "Office 365 Gift" and you got the code from there:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-claim-your-free-office-365-subscription-lumia-640-and-640xl

Was available in most countries, as I redeemed mine in Sweden. At leas UK ended on June 30:th and US on July 31:st. You could get the app and see if it still works.

Wait, OneDrive on W10 is worse than on Windows 7? lol wat

Delaying my W10 upgrade until the last day. Fuck that. I can't put everything on my Surface Pro 2 -.-

It's actually the exact same experience on 7 with some tiny improvements.

It's a step back because of 8 where they added ghost files, you could always see all the files on your onedrive folder,even apps would see them as they were there and the system would stream on demand.

It had it's share of issues, but they simply decided to remove that feature, and now it will probably take a whole new year before, and if, they add back.

Other than that they are just terrible slow at evolving the system compared to other cloud storage solutions. Low down/up speeds, high cpu usage when syncing (even when there are no changes), taking ages to process changes are just some issues that has been plaguing onedrive for years, and they just can't improve.

They should use this debacle to bring Mesh back!

x9BAq8g.png

joshschw

Overdrive syncs loads better on win10, no placeholders sucks, but don't pretend like the syncing itself isn't improved tenfold.

mm04

Let's see what happens after they receive a ton of backlash. I'm a huge fan of OneDrive and it sucks that my storage will be shrinking. I rarely use the app (Win10), I use the website most of the times. I will use it occasionally to sync a folder if I want to move many folders and files at the same time. It's like mapping a network drive and that's more convenient when dealing with many files and folders at once.

Let's see what happens after they receive a ton of backlash. I'm a huge fan of OneDrive and it sucks that my storage will be shrinking. I rarely use the app (Win10), I use the website most of the times. I will use it occasionally to sync a folder if I want to move many folders and files at the same time. It's like mapping a network drive and that's more convenient when dealing with many files and folders at once.

Hope so. They changed their tune after the backlash with the Xbone. Hopefully they will wise up here as well.

ElNino

I wasn't even aware they had unlimited storage, my 365 subscription has always shown as giving me (and my son) 1TB.

That being said, this does suck for the free tier and I hope they reconsider; at least for those who use it for their camera roll backup as that could eat through 5GB rather easily. To think that we started with 25GB.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just read the One drive news. Wtf. I put up with the crappy sync because of the storage. My work is giving me office 365, so I'm not renewing my personal sub if they keep this policy. Dropbox is so much better at sync, I'd rather give them my money.

How do I even see how much space I've used? I only see how much I have available, I can't see a number for what I've used. I'm one of those evil people who thought unlimited storage meant I could back up my family pictures and videos and files on the service. Smh

Unconfirmed Member
Just read the One drive news. Wtf. I put up with the crappy sync because of the storage. My work is giving me office 365, so I'm not renewing my personal sub if they keep this policy. Dropbox is so much better at sync, I'd rather give them my money.

How do I even see how much space I've used? I only see how much I have available, I can't see a number for what I've used. I'm one of those evil people who thought unlimited storage meant I could back up my family pictures and videos and files on the service. Smh

Go to the OneDrive app > Hamburger menu > Settings > Accounts

joshschw

Are you really having sync issues even on Win10? It syncs instantly for me on Win10.

Anyone else having copy paste issues (15072)?

You should update, but what's the issue?

Edge for some reason has it's own copy/paste mechanism - is that what you mean?

You should update, but what's the issue?

Edge for some reason has it's own copy/paste mechanism - is that what you mean?
I can't, trying to start the update errors out.

I can copy something, it adds it to the clipboard fine and I can paste into that application, but as soon as I go to another application the clipboard is cleared.

Paganmoon

I'm starting to wonder if the Lumia 950+Display Dock (continuum) is going to be standard. It's a "pre-order bonus" at one of the Swedish operators. But I've read about the same deal in other countries, so could be pretty much a standard deal right?

Edit: it'll be, as it's going to be through the "Lumia Offers" app, where you get a code which you can use on the Microsoft Store to order the Display Dock, so if I'm not completely mistaken, it should be for any Lumia 950 purchased, not only from select retailers/operators.

One of the reasons I switched from WP to Android was because I could still use OneDrive and Office apps. I'm not near the 30GB limit but I'll switch to Google Drive once I hit 5GB. Good job MS.

ty_hot

Anyone having problems with the Sync in the Facebook Win10 app? Mine can't sync the contacts and annoys me about it everytime I open the application.

Was available up until summer afaik, not sure the deal is there anymore, there was an app to download called "Office 365 Gift" and you got the code from there:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-claim-your-free-office-365-subscription-lumia-640-and-640xl

Was available in most countries, as I redeemed mine in Sweden. At leas UK ended on June 30:th and US on July 31:st. You could get the app and see if it still works.

It seems the deal is gone, I cant find the app in the store (maybe because I am on Win10?), but I wouldn't really use it, was just curious about it. I bought my 640 after that period so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

Hmm apparently in addition to the 15GB free and 15GB photo storage, I have 100GB through a "Bing promotion" that expires in 2017. So if that doesn't magically disappear along with 25 of the 30GB I otherwise have, I should be OK.

MCD

2010: My WP7 wirelessly backs up to my PC which automatically backs up to my NAS. Zero maintenance needed.

2015: My WP8.1 wirelessly backs up to a spacious OneDrive which is also synced to my computer. Zero maintenance required, except when some camera roll items never get backed up to Onedrive and have to be synced by USB.

2016: My W10M can't back up wirelessly to my PC anymore and the OneDrive is too small to back up my camera roll to, so I have to manually prune and manage my files in Onedrive every few weeks to keep enough space available for new pictures.

30gb to 5gb is just... horrible.
Worse is, if you buy a Samsung device, you win 100gb on OneDrive. If you buy a WP device, you win... nothing.

From Reddit.

Whoever made this decision should be fired. Sorry, I know I shouldn't be an ass but this is Don Mattrick all over again.

NeOak

From Reddit.

Whoever made this decision should be fired. Sorry, I know I shouldn't be an ass but this is Don Mattrick all over again.

So true.

Remember Windows Home Server and managing system and back up images and all that stuff that got nuked? Again, set it up and forget.

MCD

Love how Windows Central is spamming 'how to' tips and other useless shit to cover OneDrive's fuck up.

hadareud

The Translator
Did anyone hear about how MS are going to reduce free OneDrive storage by 40% and how they'll remove the free 15GB photo storage?

Not very smart, if you ask me.

I still can't shake my head about that, specially due the wording. Using the space you were given (either free or paid) is now "abusing the system"

Suerte

Just updated to the latest preview - does the one-handed mode just not work? It doesn't seem to let me scroll at all on my 1020 when the mode is on? Just trying it out as I'm thinking of going for the XL where I'll definitely need to use it.

I still can't shake my head about that, specially due the wording. Using the space you were given (either free or paid) is now "abusing the system"

"One place for everything in your life

Keep all your files in OneDrive, your free cloud storage. Access and share them from your phone, tablet, or computer."

Bu bu bu we meant for PRODUCTIVITY!

Paganmoon

Wonder when product pages will be updated, Lumia 950 pages still says free 15GB, and another 15GB added when first uploading a picture from your phone.

I still have the free 100GB from the OneDrive promotion, are they going to kill that too? It was nice having a total of 130GB so I'd never have to think about any limits. Might have to fire up my NAS again to store pictures and videos but I'm kinda worried it'll die when I don't have a proper backup

giga

I still have the free 100GB from the OneDrive promotion, are they going to kill that too? It was nice having a total of 130GB so I'd never have to think about any limits. Might have to fire up my NAS again to store pictures and videos but I'm kinda worried it'll die when I don't have a proper backup
I don't think the 100GB promotion was ever permanent. Mine expires next year. Check your storage page.

hadareud

The Translator
If WMPU are to be believed, and they obviously aren't, W10M is finished and the final release will be 10186.

Gabe Aul said that a new build should be out by the end of the week. Considering the last build was 10181 chances are that it's that build.

Seems a bit soon all of a sudden, but then again the phones are due at the end of the month so the timing fits quite well.

edit: also would give them time to polish those apps

Paganmoon

If WMPU are to be believed, and they obviously aren't, W10M is finished and the final release will be 10186.

Gabe Aul said that a new build should be out by the end of the week. Considering the last build was 10181 chances are that it's that build.

Seems a bit soon all of a sudden, but then again the phones are due at the end of the month so the timing fits quite well.

edit: also would give them time to polish those apps

According to Microsoft store page for Lumia 950, it'll come with Windows 10 (Preview), so it appears they're not expecting to have the OS totally done by the time the new Lumias are ready.

Any of you having a hardware insurance for your phones? I never did such thing but might look into it with the 950XL.

What are some good non-carrier options for insurance? I don't plan to go to AT&T and T-Mobile has said nothing regarding carrying the 950 XL I may have to pick up an unlocked version from the MS store.

From Reddit.

When they do dumb stuff like this they should hear about it. They're losing some of the goodwill they got back with reversals from Xbox one and innovations with the surface product line. They really can't afford to go back to Evil Empire status. Only Apple can get away with that and still be untouchable.

hadareud

The Translator
Well there was an update a few days after release, but they didn't call it a preview.

I don't know that it's stupid, though. They have to release the phones before Christmas. If the OS is not finished by the time they have to ship the phones to retail it makes sense to have an update ready for when people actually can buy them. What would be stupid would be to delay the release of the phones.

At the end of the day, their goal should be to get everyone on the Insider preview, or rather everyone that cares about phone updates. Have a third tier - fast, slow, official. That way everyone that cares gets updates without the hassle of carriers and those that don't either get it when the carrier releases it or not at all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
From Reddit.

if we the people make enough noise about it they will change.

I follow lots of people in the Microsoft space on twitter and people are pissed.

hadareud

The Translator
They've updated the store. You can now select to automatically update apps via Wifi only.

Amazing.

Now add the update history, make updates quicker and it's actually an improvement over the 8 store!

Top Bottom