• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know that it's stupid, though. They have to release the phones before Christmas. If the OS is not finished by the time they have to ship the phones to retail it makes sense to have an update ready for when people actually can buy them. What would be stupid would be to delay the release of the phones.

At the end of the day, their goal should be to get everyone on the Insider preview, or rather everyone that cares about phone updates. Have a third tier - fast, slow, official.

This doesn't make sense, you can't sell a phone with a preview OS, especially if the carriers can still delay updates for the people who buy it through them. And no, telling people to go through the process of signing up for beta updates is not the way to fix it. That works for us, but the average person will just have a phone with massive bugs and the carriers will not care. It'll be a big pr disaster, the last thing you need when you are already on a death spiral.

joshschw

This doesn't make sense, you can't sell a phone with a preview OS, especially if the carriers can still delay updates for the people who buy it through them. And no, telling people to go through the process of signing up for beta updates is not the way to fix it. That works for us, but the average person will just have a phone with massive bugs and the carriers will not care. It'll be a big pr disaster, the last thing you need when you are already on a death spiral.

I feel like you're out of the loop... WHAT carriers?!?

( I definitely agree with you =P )

no damn wonder microsoft themselves seemed like they didn't want carriers to put it on their shelves including t-mobile who openly wanted to carry the phone.

3 yrs ago, they said the smart phone beta test was over, didn't they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elqLDSt36k

the rep at T-Mobile was saying they are expecting a high-end phone and a business level windows phone device by the end of the year.

So maybe they're getting the 950xl?

Is anyone else having trouble buying things from xbox.com on their phone? I am trying to grab this months games with gold offerings, but once I get to the store page with the item I want, clicking buy does nothing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
lol someone I follow posted this on twitter.

The new verb of the week "to @onedrive yourself" > when marketing screws yourself and everyone and everything you & they do

joshschw

lol someone I follow posted this on twitter.

The new verb of the week "to @onedrive yourself" > when marketing screws yourself and everyone and everything you & they do

40 GB total
25.4 GB available

Your plan:
>Free 15 GB
Your additional storage
>Referral bonus (0% achieved) 0 GB
>Loyalty bonus 10 GB
>Camera roll bonus 15 GB

:(
I'm about to get #ondrived

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have 365 till 2017, but it is still making me reconsider my cloud storage plans. I was just about to upload a years worth of photos too.

Klocker

apparently we have up to a year for these one drive changes to take effect...

I understand going to 1TB from unlimited (I have office 365 and my account has been 1TB since I can remember, never said unlimited) but dropping the 15GB and camera roll bonus for the free account makes absolutely No Sense.

joshschw

I have 365 till 2017, but it is still making me reconsider my cloud storage plans. I was just about to upload a years worth of photos too.

I don't get this either. If you're really using such large amounts of storage these changes don't really make any difference do they?

It's the mid-rangers like me who get hosed. I mean onedrived.

The biggest annoyance for me is them killing the free storage (I got 40 GB). The way I use it, is that I sync my entire OS user profile folder with OneDrive (Documents, Photos, Desktop). It requires some fumbling after a fresh install, but then all the stuff is back. It's basically a lazy backup for stuff I don't really need to backup, but would be great not to lose and all my current garbage is right back where it was. For that, the 40 GB are more than enough (23 GB free).

Dropbox' options are basically all or nothing (2 GB free, 1 TB for 9.99), so even with their shitty move, OneDrive still seems reasonable for my use case. They currently still have 100 GB for 1.99. Except they're killing the 100 GB for 1.99 and are replacing it with 50 GB for the same price. Why would you do that? iCloud offers 50 GB for 0.99. Why be twice as expensive as Apple.

Then there's Google, who copied Microsoft's offers, I think.

15 GB free
100 GB, 1.99
1 TB, 9.99

Again, the 100 GB plan seems perfect, but I kinda don't want to switch to Google's services. Not sure why.

What caught my eye in the OneDrive blog post was this paragraph.

"Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes."

I suppose that means if you switch to the 100 GB or 200 GB plan now, they're going to grandfather you in. Motherfuckers.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The biggest annoyance for me is them killing the free storage (I got 40 GB). The way I use it, is that I sync my entire OS user profile folder with OneDrive (Documents, Photos, Desktop). It requires some fumbling after a fresh install, but then all the stuff is back. It's basically a lazy backup for stuff I don't really need to backup, but would be great not to lose and all my current garbage is right back where it was. For that, the 40 GB are more than enough (23 GB free).

Dropbox' options are basically all or nothing (2 GB free, 1 TB for 9.99), so even with their shitty move, OneDrive still seems reasonable for my use case. They currently still have 100 GB for 1.99. Except they're killing the 100 GB for 1.99 and are replacing it with 50 GB for the same price. Why would you do that? iCloud offers 50 GB for 0.99. Why be twice as expensive as Apple.

Then there's Google, who copied Microsoft's offers, I think.

15 GB free
100 GB, 1.99
1 TB, 9.99

Again, the 100 GB plan seems perfect, but I kinda don't want to switch to Google's services. Not sure why.

What caught my eye in the OneDrive blog post was this paragraph.

"Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes."

I suppose that means if you switch to the 100 GB or 200 GB plan now, they're going to grandfather you in. Motherfuckers.
what gets me is the "some users were storing up to 75TB of data. therefore we are getting rid of the 15gb camera roll bonus, and dropping the free tier from 15gb to 5gb"

kharma45

Exactly. Its completely ludicrous to even suggest shipping an OS in preview stage to the general public. If it was suggested anyone else was to do this they'd be savaged.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I love my Xbox One. I do wish they had different plans on the reveal, not necessarily talking about the DRM stuff which didn't bother me but more the media stuff and being less powerful.

I love my Xbox One. I do wish they had different plans on the reveal, not necessarily talking about the DRM stuff which didn't bother me but more the media stuff and being less powerful.

I think the power stuff is so ridiculously overblown. I have a PS4 and an XB1, and Halo 5 is by far the best looking game on either system. Star Wars Battlefront will take that crown though once it comes out, but that is also a multiplatform game. By the end of the gen I am sure we will see stuff on the PS4 that is better graphically then what was done on the XB1, but by then everyone will be ready to move on anyways.

kharma45

I think the power stuff is so ridiculously overblown. I have a PS4 and an XB1, and Halo 5 is by far the best looking game on either system. Star Wars Battlefront will take that crown though once it comes out, but that is also a multiplatform game. By the end of the gen I am sure we will see stuff on the PS4 that is better graphically then what was done on the XB1, but by then everyone will be ready to move on anyways.

More than likely. Neither console is particularly strong and won't last as long as the last ones did.

Doffen

Well.. I no longer got a Windows Phone. Feels strange.
Gave the Lumia 930 to a family member in need of a upgrade.

I've had quite a few Windows mobile devices through the years:

HTC S730
HTC Touch HD
Samsung Omnia 7
Lumia 920
Lumia 930
(And backup devices Omnia W and HTC 8S)

Hopefully Microsoft will reveal a superb Surface Phone next year, and if that happens I might return.

clav

Well.. I no longer got a Windows Phone. Feels strange.
Gave the Lumia 930 to a family member in need of a upgrade.

I've had quite a few Windows mobile devices through the years:

HTC S730
HTC Touch HD
Samsung Omnia 7
Lumia 920
Lumia 930
(And backup devices Omnia W and HTC 8S)

Hopefully Microsoft will reveal a superb Surface Phone next year, and if that happens I might return.
Which iPhone did you buy?

clav

When Doffen has left the sinking ship, then you know it's really, really bad. Geez.

That's what I said.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183822365&postcount=8850

6s Space Gray 64GB.

I was thinking of the same phone, but I just hate the lack of Google integration on iPhone. I wish you could set defaults.

Siri is garbage. I'm glad someone made a thread on that.

Crappy camera, battery life, and screen. Enjoy!

Outside of the screen, what are you talking about?

clav

Soon this will just be an all purpose smartphone OT

Thanks Nadella.

Utrhiil.png

Doffen

Crappy camera, battery life, and screen. Enjoy!

I did take those points in consideration when I debated whether I should order the iPhone or 950. Microsoft current attitude towards Norway didn't make the choice difficult.
And the reason I didn't buy an Android device is because I sort of don't like Google. Fuck 'em for not releasing their apps on Windows Phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Outside of the screen, what are you talking about?

All those glowing reviews praising battery life and camera prowess on iPhone?

The Plus versions.

I did take those points in consideration when I debated whether I should order the iPhone or 950. Microsoft current attitude towards Norway didn't make the choice difficult.
And the reason I didn't buy an Android device is because I sort of don't like Google. Fuck 'em for not releasing their apps on Windows Phone.

Really, those things I listed are basically the only weak points on the device, you'll love the MS apps on it. Wish we could have kept the old crew together, but MS isn't giving us much of a choice.

clav

Apple never released anything for either phone outside of Move to iOS.

I remember using Google Maps on Windows Mobile 6.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I easily get 6 hours of SOT on my iPhone 6. No idea what you're talking about.

Lol, ok. I'm sure I could find an s6 owner who would make the same meaningless claim. The iPhone 6 does not have significantly better battery life than the s6, charges much more slowly, and doesn't offer the flexibility of wireless charging. You can't win them all, I know iPhone users want to win every category, but you can't.

Next you are going to argue that the camera is also better than the s6 and the G4.

Signed into Youtube on my phone today and get this auto-generated email from Google: "New sign-in from Microsoft Edge on Android"

alrighty then

Top Bottom