• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
lol smh

worst decision ever.

i am curious if anything at all will come from the backlash

given the amount of votes already submitted, I would say something will.

I saw a guy that works for Microsoft say he's never seen so many votes for a user voice item.

clav

Bruh. I am with you.

I went to a MS Store to see if I could try a 950 and 950 XL.

Unfortunately, the store only had a placard next to the table of Lumia and BLU phones that said, "Coming soon."

Microsoft doesn't really care. Aren't these phones releasing soon?

Difficult to be excited about their handsets outside of the incoming fire sale of the 640 and 640 XL.

hankster

On a biz trip and using my 640 with latest #W10Mo - quick notes

- It's definitely snappier / smoother

- WTF storage app - can't they push out a fix for that? like they do every few minutes for the Photos plug-in?

CS2eKqoUsAAAdTg.jpg:large

- Most improved app: Groove Music - way to step it up there boys

- Cortana navigation is nicer than Here Drive. Map management much better, now with SD card storage power. Is nice.

Things seem to be coming together. Just need some fancy new hardware to run it on now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hang on bruhs, I'm thinking about repairing my old and busted 920 instead of buying a cheapo Android.

There may be two of us in this OT after all. Three, even.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Put it on top of a garbage can so raccoons cant lift the lid.

Lol

I have a serious question, what can I do about my 930? I'm worried about selling it on eBay because I didn't have a pin code so if it's brought back to life I don't know if they can just access my stuff. I can't send it to repair because it's international so MS won't fix it. What should I do? I'd love to keep using it if possible, but it just won't turn on and I've tried all the recovery tools.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lol

I have a serious question, what can I do about my 930? I'm worried about selling it on eBay because I didn't have a pin code so if it's brought back to life I don't know if they can just access my stuff. I can't send it to repair because it's international so MS won't fix it. What should I do? I'd love to keep using it if possible, but it just won't turn on and I've tried all the recovery tools.

Bury it in the backyard.

n64coder

I'm worried about selling it on eBay because I didn't have a pin code so if it's brought back to life I don't know if they can just access my stuff.

With your next phone, don't make that mistake again. Also set it up so that after X attempts to enter the PIN, it'll reset the phone.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to sell it. Too risky for the amount of gain.

Went to the Microsoft Device Night in Toronto yesterday. Tried the 950.

It feels good in the hand, but the design is pretty generic. Not in a bad way, you just don't notice it.

The camera seems pretty great. Low light performance was good, and detail even in a dimly lit room was quite good.

Performance was so so, but it's hard to tell with W10 still being buggy (apparently, there are still 2 more builds to go before it releases). Web browsing seemed fast.

Continuum is pretty crazy - with a mouse/kb attached, it really does feel like and perform like a PC. You could switch back and forth b/w Word and Excel by Alt-tabbing and it was almost instant. It was really impressive.

JaggedSac

Went to the Microsoft Device Night in Toronto yesterday. Tried the 950.

It feels good in the hand, but the design is pretty generic. Not in a bad way, you just don't notice it.

The camera seems pretty great. Low light performance was good, and detail even in a dimly lit room was quite good.

Performance was so so, but it's hard to tell with W10 still being buggy (apparently, there are still 2 more builds to go before it releases). Web browsing seemed fast.

Continuum is pretty crazy - with a mouse/kb attached, it really does feel like and perform like a PC. You could switch back and forth b/w Word and Excel by Alt-tabbing and it was almost instant. It was really impressive.

What were the performance issues?

Heretic

Thoughts on my options?

950XL (favorite but lack of big apps (bank) is getting to me)
Priv (love the physical keyboard)
6S+ (apps)

NeOak

Thoughts on my options?

950XL (favorite but lack of big apps (bank) is getting to me)
Priv (love the physical keyboard)
6S+ (apps)
I went with the Priv unlocked from BB when they opened up preorders. If they keep up their promise for updates, it will be great.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
iOS's contact list and "syncing" with Facebook is the worst. W10 is years ahead with the people app there.

If you hate ios contact sync, I'm glad you didn't go Android. I don't understand it, I can never have all my contacts and it seems like some disappear every time I log in to a new phone.

iOS's contact list and "syncing" with Facebook is the worst. W10 is years ahead with the people app there.
My only issue is they need to let you pick an order of social networks you prefer pictures from. My defaults to some really old MS account picture sync instead of Facebook.

ty_hot

It's funny how now the most expensive OneDrive plan gives you 1TB of space, when you can get the same amount of space in Flickr for free (i know, just pictures, but spacewise its the same).

And they come from 15 to 5GB of free files, any service has more than this nowadays (I tihnk I have 16 on google just because... of nothing, and for free).

They want people to stop using it? And just after they renewed their online interface that looked great... someone's got to be fired.

joshschw

It's funny how now the most expensive OneDrive plan gives you 1TB of space, when you can get the same amount of space in Flickr for free (i know, just pictures, but spacewise its the same).

And they come from 15 to 5GB of free files, any service has more than this nowadays (I tihnk I have 16 on google just because... of nothing, and for free).

They want people to stop using it? And just after they renewed their online interface that looked great... someone's got to be fired.

Flickr is... not even remotely a similar service. Forget that it's just photos...

Flickr makes their money via ads cause people VIEW those photos online.

Not sure why, but I've really been enjoying the two tile wide setting for my Start Menu. Being able to have 1/4 sized icons really helps it out, IMO.

I went with the Priv unlocked from BB when they opened up preorders. If they keep up their promise for updates, it will be great.

Why would anyone ever trust a company's promise? First they launch the Priv with an "outdated" OS and now they say 6.0 is coming "sometime in the new year."

Good luck with that.

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of the 950's, here's Hello in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mm_sdFguDg

Seems to work well. Maybe it could work from a bit further away, but it certainly beats entering a PIN.

Why would anyone ever trust a company's promise? First they launch the Priv with an "outdated" OS and now they say 6.0 is coming "sometime in the new year."

Good luck with that.

This. Android manufacturers have promised a lot of things when it comes to updates. None of them have come even close to keeping their promises.

People moan about the updates on WP, but when you compare the situation to Android it's fucking amazing even without the insider program.

Nero3000

People moan about the updates on WP, but when you compare the situation to Android it's fucking amazing even without the insider program.

Proof is in the pudding. The really annoying this is the staged roll-out they do. IF i want it now, let me override it.

7.0 to 7.5 (Mango) was excellent, as all phones pretty much got it on the same day
8.0 to 8.1 was highly dependent on carriers, mine was very good (O2 uk)
8.1 to 10...let's see.

hadareud

The Translator
Proof is in the pudding. The really annoying this is the staged roll-out they do. IF i want it now, let me override it.

7.0 to 7.5 (Mango) was excellent, as all phones pretty much got it on the same day
8.0 to 8.1 was highly dependent on carriers, mine was very good (O2 uk)
8.1 to 10...let's see.

Yes it depends on carriers, but apart from very few exceptions at least the updates are made available for all phones on all carriers and they have been available for well over 18 months on most phones. And since 8.1 there has been an official method to bypass the carriers altogether.

I don't think the situation is comparable to Android at all. Sure you can root your phone. But only if you accept that you might have to throw your phone in the bin.

Agreed on it being nowhere near as bad as Android. Android you can be waiting a year for an update. Wait several months for the manufacturer to push their skin to the update, then wait several months for the carrier to push that, and that's if you get the update at all.

Windows Phone? Fuck it I update when I want. I mean shit Im using an update that isn't even done yet.

Top Bottom