• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
It will be a nightmare when Windows Phone fails and is scrapped.

I will never (ever) buy an Apple product in my life and Android is so unappealing to me, it would be very hard to bring myself to going back to it. My experience with the Moto E showed me that while things have improved a bit over a few years ago, usability wise it's still awful, for me.

I might buy a few batteries for the 950 just in case and keep using it for as long as humanly possible.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got comfortable with Android faster than I thought I would. Definitely not as easy or elegant as Windows Phone though. It is a shame that MS couldn't have been more on the ball earlier in the smartphone race.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got comfortable with Android faster than I thought I would. Definitely not as easy or elegant as Windows Phone though. It is a shame that MS couldn't have been more on the ball earlier in the smartphone race.

How's your battery life? I'm wondering if I just need to replace mine, it's pretty awful once I actually start to use it, although standby time is OK.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How's your battery life? I'm wondering if I just need to replace mine, it's pretty awful once I actually start to use it, although standby time is OK.

Probably 16-18 hours of moderate usage. The stand by time is good. Used it off and on the past hour and I'm still at 100%.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hopefully Microsoft will reveal a superb Surface Phone next year, and if that happens I might return.

qytpDB0.png

The Android update thing is also a bit overblown. While the grandular app permissions in 6.0 are awesome, you're not missing out on anything else, if you're on 5.1. It's absolutely solid. Not to mention that there are still manufacturers who are trying. LG is already pushing 6.0 to the G4 in Korea.

Personally, I'd never get an iPhone, because it turns to shit after the second major OS update. Not updating is fine, but then you're not getting app updates either, because most companies and developers require the second latest OS version. Had I not upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPad, I wouldn't be able to use Pocket Casts. That's the shit that really bugs me about Apple hardware.

NeOak

Why would anyone ever trust a company's promise? First they launch the Priv with an "outdated" OS and now they say 6.0 is coming "sometime in the new year."

Good luck with that.

"Outdated". Then:

The Android update thing is also a bit overblown. While the grandular app permissions in 6.0 are awesome, you're not missing out on anything else, if you're on 5.1. It's absolutely solid. Not to mention that there are still manufacturers who are trying. LG is already pushing 6.0 to the G4 in Korea.

Brot pls.

You know I bought it for the keyboard. I almost jumped to a BB10 for God's sake.

"Outdated". Then:

Brot pls.

You know I bought it for the keyboard. I almost jumped to a BB10 for God's sake.

I put it in quotation marks for a reason. You mentioned their promise of timely updates and I called that bullshit out. There's no good reason why that thing doesn't ship with 6.0 out of the box, when HTC can do it for their iPhone. Instead they announced the update "sometime in the new year". Like I said, good luck.

NeOak

I put it in quotation marks for a reason. You mentioned their promise of timely updates and I called that bullshit out. There's no good reason why that thing doesn't ship with 6.0 out of the box, when HTC can do it for their iPhone. Instead they announced the update "sometime in the new year". Like I said, good luck.
Yeah, we will see. This is their Hail Mary, so if they mess up that, gg.

I just saw that Blackberry wants 779 Euro for the Priv.
PmbxJWD.gif

e: Seriously, what is it with these dying companies or subsidiaries and their overpriced phones? HTC with the A9, Sony with the Z5, Microsoft with the 950 and now Blackberry with the Priv.

Yeah, we will see. This is their Hail Mary, so if they mess up that, gg.

It's okay, I know you're desperate. We all are.

JaggedSac

I just saw that Blackberry wants 779 Euro for the Priv.
PmbxJWD.gif

e: Seriously, what is it with these dying companies or subsidiaries and their overpriced phones? HTC with the A9, Sony with the Z5, Microsoft with the 950 and now Blackberry with the Priv.

If you can't do a volume play, you need to make enough money on each handset. Someone crunched the numbers and estimated best revenue and profit.

toff74

The wife's Lumia 640 had an update last night (EE UK) and the touch screen has completely lost its sensitivity! Anyone else had problems?

I think it's Windows 8.1 update 2.

Doffen

Doffen, that video is from Norway, Microsoft hasn't forgotten about you, please come back!

I believe thats from a press gathering of some sort. They've always had them.
The issue here is that they don't market the products towards consumers, and therefor developers who create apps for the consumer market won't bother to port them.

There's ads for Galaxy Edge in every commercial break these days. Xperia Z5 had a solid online campaign. And operators like Telenor and Netcom are pushing iPhone like crazy. Lumia is drowning here.

Does anybody in the know think that the Band 2 at £199.99 is really worth it over the original for £70?

I know the new design is better and seemingly more comfortable but it would only be used for runs and nothing more, so I wouldn't be wearing it all the time.

Also, feature wise is there much difference?

kazinova

The Band 2 is hands down a huge improvement from an ergonomics, design and form perspective. Most of the sensors are better (the GPS is just as quick for me out in the burbs) and there is nothing that is worse that the original. Everything is as good or better.

Vyer

Only 10% of Android phones have even hit 5.1. Nearly 40% are still on Kit Kat.

Personally, I'd never get an iPhone, because it turns to shit after the second major OS update. Not updating is fine, but then you're not getting app updates either, because most companies and developers require the second latest OS version. Had I not upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPad, I wouldn't be able to use Pocket Casts. That's the shit that really bugs me about Apple hardware.

That's a bit of hyperbole. And a little ridiculous, considering you try to downplay what happens with updates after two years with Android in the same post.

Only 10% of Android phones have even hit 5.1. Nearly 40% are still on Kit Kat.

That's a bit of hyperbole. And a little ridiculous, considering you try to downplay what happens with updates after two years with Android in the same post.

I didn't say that Android doesn't have update issues anymore. I said that if you're running 5.1, you're fine and that it doesn't matter if you're not getting the latest updates after that. That's why the issue is overblown.

It's not hyperbole at all. I'm seeing this on my iPad every single day, as it lags around the interface like a piece of shit. My Nexus 5 is flying, compared to my friends iPhone 5S from the same year. The difference is also that apps on android don't require the latest OS version. Heck, most of them still work with 4.3. The latest version of Pocket Casts? Works with Android 4.1(!).

If I could trade my Band 1 up to a 2, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if only for the smart alarm. But, of course every other facet is also a huge reason to want it. Like the not falling apart on you bit.

The Band 2 is hands down a huge improvement from an ergonomics, design and form perspective. Most of the sensors are better (the GPS is just as quick for me out in the burbs) and there is nothing that is worse that the original. Everything is as good or better.

If I could trade my Band 1 up to a 2, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if only for the smart alarm. But, of course every other facet is also a huge reason to want it. Like the not falling apart on you bit.
Guess I'm going to pick up a 2 then.

kharma45

I didn't say that Android doesn't have update issues anymore. I said that if you're running 5.1, you're fine and that it doesn't matter if you're not getting the latest updates after that. That's why the issue is overblown.

It's not hyperbole at all. I'm seeing this on my iPad every single day, as it lags around the interface like a piece of shit. My Nexus 5 is flying, compared to my friends iPhone 5S from the same year. The difference is also that apps on android don't require the latest OS version. Heck, most of them still work with 4.3. The latest version of Pocket Casts? Works with Android 4.1(!).

My Mini 2 runs as well on iOS 9 as it did on 7

I want a Band 2 so bad but can't justify it quiet yet, not after my Band 1 broke on me 4 times.

I'm a sucker for SmartWear though, so I'll probably buy it in December if reports are in from users that it's build quality is solid.

Now my only problem, Keep my Apple Watch or sell it. Paid $700 for this thing, only to use it for 5 months and have it be unusable because I'm dropping my iPhone for a Lumia 950. It'll be useless, but it'll still be stylish. :3

Blackhead

Redarse
Pretty much the same, same as on 9.0.2 http://youtu.be/IaZ3Y8rmmOQ there isn't any huge performance degradation.

Here's the even older iPhone 5 with 9.1 vs 8.4 http://youtu.be/yK7EfWD6Dq4 like above there isn't a huge performance gap. Pit them side by side and yes the older OS runs a tad quicker but you're not going to notice it in isolation.
Pretty much the same... yes the older OS runs a tad quicker

Just take the L. There is performance degradation.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's not perceptible in real use. If apps taking a split second longer to open is some sort of massive performance hit that Brot is making it out to be then some people need to get out more.

It's the boiling frog effect; continuous degradation but each single update doesn't seem that worse in isolation. Anyway you're moving the goalposts: First you said it runs just as well, now you're the claiming it doesn't run as well but the difference doesn't matter. *shrug*

kharma45

It's the boiling frog effect; continuous degradation but each single update doesn't seem that worse in isolation. Anyway you're moving the goalposts: First you said it runs just as well, now you're the claiming it doesn't run as well but the difference doesn't matter. *shrug*

I did because I hadn't noticed any performance hit. If anything it feels faster at doing what I do most, browsing the Internet now there are content blockers. Tabs also reload a lot less too.

I still stand by it running just as well. Split second differences in load times to me after a couple of years are it running just as well.

I admit that I'm more nitpicky than others, but if stuff lags after an update that hasn't lagged before, you lost me. Scrolling can be slightly more stuttery, multi tasking gestures take a little bit longer and/or stutter, some little lag here and there when the keyboard should pop up or while typing, apps take a tad longer to open than they used to. That stuff is just not acceptable for me.

kharma45

The only area that really stands out to me as being an issue is the new multitasking pane. There's a lot of dropped frames when using it.

Top Bottom