• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Vyer

I didn't say that Android doesn't have update issues anymore. I said that if you're running 5.1, you're fine and that it doesn't matter if you're not getting the latest updates after that. That's why the issue is overblown.

I would think if the vast majority can't even get to 5.1 yet, that's not really 'overblown'. Neither is assuming that if you have 5.1 now, you wouldn't even need to worry about updates anymore! is somehow reasonable and makes the issue go away in the future.

It's not hyperbole at all. I'm seeing this on my iPad every single day, as it lags around the interface like a piece of shit. My Nexus 5 is flying, compared to my friends iPhone 5S from the same year. The difference is also that apps on android don't require the latest OS version. Heck, most of them still work with 4.3. The latest version of Pocket Casts? Works with Android 4.1(!).

My iPad 4 doesn't. Now what?

I admit that I'm more nitpicky than others, but if stuff lags after an update that hasn't lagged before, you lost me. Scrolling can be slightly more stuttery, multi tasking gestures take a little bit longer and/or stutter, some little lag here and there when the keyboard should pop up or while typing, apps take a tad longer to open than they used to. That stuff is just not acceptable for me.

your ipad is 3 years old and 3 full OS updates on. In addition, the idea that somehow 'apple hardware' suffers this rare problem of devices that are multiple years old run a little slower with each major software update isn't reasonable. Hell, my 520 really did 'go to shit' after only owning it for six months. It took a few point changes before my Nexus 7 started acting right again after its last major update. I have a Samsung Tab right now and I think probably enough has been said about Touchwiz degradation already.

If you're trying to chalk it up to being 'nitpicky' I don't know how you use any mobile platform after the first year.

If I could trade my Band 1 up to a 2, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if only for the smart alarm. But, of course every other facet is also a huge reason to want it. Like the not falling apart on you bit.

Yeah the smart alarms is a really cool feature, makes me want to upgrade.

ty_hot

anyone else having problems with Whatsapp on WP10? Everytime that I want to send one photo to someone I have to send it twice because it never works in the first time. Photos taken with the app, not saved in the gallery already.

JaggedSac

I noticed more ois wobble from the lumia, otherwise they seemed pretty comparable looking at them from my phone.

G4 doesn't have OIS so they either had very good hands or were using it on some other hardware. Or their digital stabilization is very good.

Having not seen the actual environment of the last few shots in the video, I like the white balance the Lumia decided on. Not a fan of the bluer choice.

kharma45

G4 doesn't have OIS so they either had very good hands or were using it on some other hardware. Or their digital stabilization is very good.

Having not seen the actual environment of the last few shots in the video, I like the white balance the Lumia decided on. Not a fan of the bluer choice.

G4 does have OIS

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
G4 doesn't have OIS so they either had very good hands or were using it on some other hardware.

Uh yes it does. G4 camera is legit, ask schuey. No shame in being close to it in terms of video, that's a top tier phone camera. I'm sure the pictures are going to be better on the 950.

I would think if the vast majority can't even get to 5.1 yet, that's not really 'overblown'. Neither is assuming that if you have 5.1 now, you wouldn't even need to worry about updates anymore! is somehow reasonable and makes the issue go away in the future.

your ipad is 3 years old and 3 full OS updates on. In addition, the idea that somehow 'apple hardware' suffers this rare problem of devices that are multiple years old run a little slower with each major software update isn't reasonable. Hell, my 520 really did 'go to shit' after only owning it for six months. It took a few point changes before my Nexus 7 started acting right again after its last major update. I have a Samsung Tab right now and I think probably enough has been said about Touchwiz degradation already.

If you're trying to chalk it up to being 'nitpicky' I don't know how you use any mobile platform after the first year.

If you're buying a flagship Android phone, you're at the very least on 5.0, most likely on 5.1. So yeah, I still stand my point that it's not a huge issue anymore going forward.

And all I said is that I wouldn't buy an iPhone, because of the performance degradation after OS updates ("it turns to shit" as I put it nicely). It's not a fabricated statement and it's not even a debate. If it wasn't for app updates or requirements, I wouldn't have updated my iPad from iOS 6 at all. Why? Because it was working great on that OS and the newer version have zero benefits for me. I can't comment on Samsung, because I haven't owned their hardware. I didn't buy it in the past, because I thought Touchwiz was incredibly ugly. That changed since the S6 and I even considered buying it.

As for me being nitpicky, all I can say is that I'm still very happy with the performance of my Nexus 5 (a 2013 phone), which I have upgraded from 4.4.2 all the way to 6.0, without doing a factory reset. I don't know why I can't or shouldn't expect this from other devices. On the other hand, others complain about the performance on their Nexus 5 or LG G2 and G3, too. But at least I'm not claiming that it isn't there or is negligible.

That said, and to throw you a bone, I'm a very casual phone user. I posted my home screen in the Android thread. One page with eight apps on it. That's all I frequently launch and use. Zero games. So perhaps I wouldn't run into issues with an iPhone either. But after my experience with my iPad, I don't want to give Apple a chance just yet.

Join the party, we ain't leavin.

sR35q9L.jpg

GfrgWge.jpg

dLMN8R

My dad's laptop that he got a year or two after Windows 7 came out is now running Windows 10 better than it ever ran Windows 7.

Vyer

If you're buying a flagship Android phone, you're at the very least on 5.0, most likely on 5.1. So yeah, I still stand my point that it's not a huge issue anymore going forward.

And all I said is that I wouldn't buy an iPhone, because of the performance degradation after OS updates ("it turns to shit" as I put it nicely). It's not a fabricated statement and it's not even a debate. If it wasn't for app updates or requirements, I wouldn't have updated my iPad from iOS 6 at all. Why? Because it was working great on that OS and the newer version have zero benefits for me. I can't comment on Samsung, because I haven't owned their hardware. I didn't buy it in the past, because I thought Touchwiz was incredibly ugly. That changed since the S6 and I even considered buying it.

As for me being nitpicky, all I can say is that I'm still very happy with the performance of my Nexus 5 (a 2013 phone), which I have upgraded from 4.4.2 all the way to 6.0, without doing a factory reset. I don't know why I can't or shouldn't expect this from other devices. On the other hand, others complain about the performance on their Nexus 5 or LG G2 and G3, too. But at least I'm not claiming that it isn't there or is negligible.

That said, and to throw you a bone, I'm a very casual phone user. I posted my home screen in the Android thread. One page with eight apps on it. That's all I frequently launch and use. Zero games. So perhaps I wouldn't run into issues with an iPhone either. But after my experience with my iPad, I don't want to give Apple a chance just yet.

Much like what you said about the priv, I don't see any reason to trust that any flagship non nexus android won't have the same update issues going forward from 5.1. just the fact that it is on 5.1 doesn't change that.

And you can prefer what you want, people often have different experiences with stuff like updates and battery life for sure. just saying that the idea that performance degradation after a few years of updates isn't rather universal with mobile and instead just a trait of 'apple hardware' isn't very logical or reasonable.

My dad's laptop that he got a year or two after Windows 7 came out is now running Windows 10 better than it ever ran Windows 7.

?

dLMN8R

Sorry for the vague statement. I'm simply backing up the notion that the mindset Apple has instilled in the general populace that it should be acceptable for a device to feel slower after a year or two than it was at release is really shitty, since obviously it's not necessary. It's just Apple' prerogative to get people to upgrade their devices.

I still remember this from when I had an iPhone 3G:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdk2cJpSXLg

That video doesn't exaggerate at all.

Sorry for the vague statement. I'm simply backing up the notion that the mindset Apple has instilled in the general populace that it should be acceptable for a device to feel slower after a year or two than it was at release is really shitty, since obviously it's not necessary. It's just Apple' prerogative to get people to upgrade their devices.

You guys used to do that with Windows, so I wouldn't be so quick to judge if I were you.

DonMigs85

Windows 10 also breathed new life into my Lenovo AMD Brazos laptop. It was much laggier on Windows 8, but that could've been due to all the factory installed bloatware.

Vyer

You were talking about Windows 10 (which is indeed pretty great ). I was talking about mobile devices. and they are all interested in getting you to upgrade,
even if some companies fail spectacularly at that part

Zeknurn

If you want a fitness band, don't mind it not reading differences in height (i.e. climbing stairs) you can't really go wrong.

I was mainly concerned by the build quality but I said screw it and ordered one anyway. I'd never spend £200 on a fitness device/watch so hopefully this one will last me until the Band 2 hits the same price.

Also Microsoft had a shot at selling me a Band 2 if they had announced a bundle with a 950XL but it's their loss.

Thanks btw.

It's been 8 years and 3 major versions of windows since one required more performance than the last. If anything the trend has been less performance required.
And this only come about because of the emergence of mobile. They would have continue the practice if weren't for the disruption and decline of PC. Also man was Windows 7 that long ago.

frontieruk

I was mainly concerned by the build quality but I said screw it and ordered one anyway. I'd never spend £200 on a fitness device/watch so hopefully this one will last me until the Band 2 hits the same price.

Also Microsoft had a shot at selling me a Band 2 if they had announced a bundle with a 950XL but it's their loss.

Thanks btw.

Only issue I've had with mine is the rubberised coating peeled off one arm, but having lost early fitbits that fell off, garmins that suffered a unclasping issue which they fixed with a sheathe, losing a bit of rubber is a minor issue and isn't risking losing the whole device.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The latest build on mobile is getting worse. Opening anything from notifications is just about useless, often times the app is stuck in resuming, so long that the phone screen actually locks again.

The latest "desktop" build seems nice so far. Anyone now anything about this new messaging app? on my lockscreen its saying I have over 99 messages, same icon as messages on phone, but when I open it I have nothing. Seems like its supposed to sync your SMS messages from phone to your pc? Would be so awesome to be able to sync SMS to my desktop.

Paganmoon

Paganmoon

Based Microsoft.
It's probably for the best, it's not like any tier 2 consumers would be able to interact with Cortana in English.

Yeah. We're pretty bad at English in Sweden and Norway.

You know, if I order a Galaxy S6 Edge, and turn in an old phone (any phone), I'll get a 1000 SEK discount on the Galaxy S6, and a Harmon/Kardon wireless speaker worth 3500 SEK.

But I'm still getting a 950, I just don't know when to quit...

Top Bottom