• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

Yeah. We're pretty bad at English in Sweden and Norway.

You know, if I order a Galaxy S6 Edge, and turn in an old phone (any phone), I'll get a 1000 SEK discount on the Galaxy S6, and a Harmon/Kardon wireless speaker worth 3500 SEK.

But I'm still getting a 950, I just don't know when to quit...

Stockholm syndrome.

hankster

I'm going to start a support group - Windows Phone Suckers Anonymous: We fall for it every time, and can't quit it.

Hey there are at least 24 of us...

So has a release date been pinned yet? I tried Google searching around and couldn't turn up anything. I don't have much interest in purchasing either device at the moment, but I can't wait to read reviews/impressions on them.

I'm going to start a support group - Windows Phone Suckers Anonymous: We fall for it every time, and can't quit it.

Hey there are at least 24 of us...

Sad but true. Back at the launch of 8, it had so much potential. You'd actually find a person on the street or two using a Windows Phone. The outlook is so bleak now that it's hard to be excited either way. It's a two-horse race of Android(Samsung)/iOS(Apple). The little surprises in between are rapidly vanishing, as metrics have shown. But there will always be dozens of us, until it literally is dozens.

hadareud

The Translator
The cheapest iPad Pro is 280 quid more expensive than the most expensive Surface 3 and just 60 quid less than the cheapest Surface Pro 4.

That's for 32 gig, btw. 32.

Hilarious when you think that people are moaning about the SP pricing.

hadareud

The Translator
In the process I found out that they're giving you 200 quid if you trade in your Surface RT or Surface 2.

My gf wants one, we have one RT and a 2 lying around - if I sell my SP3 on Ebay and order 2 SP4's I basically get one 128gb i5 free of charge.

Also means I'll have given Microsoft 3 grand in the space of a week for 2 phones and 2 tablets. Fucking hell.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gut feeling and whatnot, but I feel that people bitching about Surface prices being too high are not really in the market for one of them. They are either misinformed consumers who'd be better served by a conventional laptop/ultrabook or trolls craving attention.

That doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't release a 128GB i5 version with 8GB of RAM or an m3 8GB version, because FUCK that 8GB price jump. Making you dole a €400 extra because you just need a 2015-like amount of RAM is some sales tactics dickery.

hadareud

The Translator
Personally I think they are too expensive and I agree that the jump from 4 to 8 gig is ridiculous.

But there's too expensive and then there's taking the fucking piss, like Apple do.

While 32 GB of storage isn't great, it should be enough for people who want to use it as their digital sketch board. 799 for that isn't outright terrible or anything. What really makes it suck is the extra stylus for 99 bucks and that horrible, horrible keyboard cover for another 169. And, of course, the fact that it screams gen 1 and looks hacked together.

Also means I'll have given Microsoft 3 grand in the space of a week for 2 phones and 2 tablets. Fucking hell.

You're a very brave person.

Gut feeling and whatnot, but I feel that people bitching about Surface prices being too high are not really in the market for one of them. They are either misinformed consumers who'd be better served by a conventional laptop/ultrabook or trolls craving attention.

That doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't release a 128GB i5 version with 8GB of RAM or an m3 8GB version, because FUCK that 8GB price jump.

The only thing that really sucks about this year's Surface Pro pricing is the higher price of the base model (849 vs 999). And yes, fuck that price jump from 1099 to 1449.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
But there's too expensive and then there's taking the fucking piss, like Apple do.

Talking about Apple taking the piss, this is the actual title of their latest press release: Epic 12.9-inch iPad Pro Available to Order Online Wednesday & Arrives in Stores Later This Week

“The early response to iPad Pro from app developers and our customers has been incredible, and we’re excited to get iPad Pro into the hands of customers around the world this week,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “iPad Pro is the most powerful iPad we’ve ever made, giving users the ability to be even more creative and more productive with the epic 12.9-inch Retina display, powerful 64-bit A9X chip and groundbreaking Apple Pencil and new Smart Keyboard. We can’t wait to see what they do with iPad Pro.”

The new, larger iPad Pro features a stunning 12.9-inch Retina® display with 5.6 million pixels, the most ever in an iOS device, and groundbreaking performance with the new 64-bit A9X chip, rivaling most portable PCs.

iPad Pro: Groundbreaking™

Nero3000

AS in, i have now added my work account. So when i click on the calendar to set up a new event, i want it to default to my work account.

hadareud

The Translator
AS in, i have now added my work account. So when i click on the calendar to set up a new event, i want it to default to my work account.

If you add an event and choose your work calendar, that's the calendar it will automatically choose for the next event.

Basically, the calendar you used last is the default calendar in that sense.

Nero3000

Cheers.

Another question, is there a way to send emails from alias addresses on outlook.com accounts? - doesn't seem to be there yet, but i may be missing something.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh wow, Cortana mobile and the win10 version finally talk to each other. I made a reminder on PC earlier, then just now Cortana called out from my Android phone letting me know that I had a new reminder. Nice!

The previous Mail app had it but they removed it for some idiotic reason.

From the Mail App? No, it defaults to the parent address.

Pretty much the only reason I hate the current Mail app. I have to juggle different aliases in my account, and the only place I can do it is from the webpage. It's annoying that they haven't introduced this in 10 as both WP8 and WP8.1 lack this, and the Windows 8.1 app had it.

predicktive keyboard on WP improves yet again.

MaNsMHZ.jpg

One of us should make the OT whenever it comes out.

Someone should rather port this OT to Android.

Doesn't the WP keyboard learn? which begs the question, what do you usually text camajise?

It does learn, but it also pulls the predictions from the servers, like SwiftKey. SwiftKey can be downright scary with its predictions. Also, he pulled that image from WMPU, who in return stole the idea for that image from Tom Warren.

hwalker84

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| The Smartphone Beta Test Never Ended
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Save Us Android Apps
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Astoria and Islewood Wont Save Us
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Will Beg For Apps
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| #AppsDon'tMatter

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So another feature locked behind something not available in most countries... god damn it Microsoft...

I wouldn't worry about it it doesn't work anyway. Not only does it not pull my SMS messages it doesn't even grab my Skype conversations. Literally the app is empty when I open it. And when I try to send a text it doesn't even have my contacts available, or skype contacts.

JaggedSac

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| The Smartphone Beta Test Never Ended
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Save Us Android Apps
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Astoria and Islewood Wont Save Us
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Will Beg For Apps
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| #AppsDon'tMatter

2, 4, and 5 are great.

I wouldn't worry about it it doesn't work anyway. Not only does it not pull my SMS messages it doesn't even grab my Skype conversations. Literally the app is empty when I open it. And when I try to send a text it doesn't even have my contacts available, or skype contacts.

I haven't even bothered trying it. I don't personally find that feature useful. My phone is pretty much always at a moment's reach.

clav

Windows Mobile 10 |OT| There are dozens of us! DOZENS!
Windows Mobile 10 |OT| ...and then there were 10.
binary
Windows Mobile 10 |OT| Project Nadella exclusive to Android + iOS

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Has anyone tried the microsoft android launcher Arrow? This seems to be the right thread to ask

Gave it a week, didn't like it. Too limiting, didn't see anything special about it. The lockscreen was better, but all the actions were the opposite of what you would expect (swipe right to dismiss, etc.) So I ditched it too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
2, 4, and 5 are great.

I haven't even bothered trying it. I don't personally find that feature useful. My phone is pretty much always at a moment's reach.

I could definitely find uses for it, real keyboard > touch screen. And not having to unlock my phone to send the message, which of late as mentioned earlier has been slightly aggravating.

Top Bottom