• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

One thing I will miss from my 1520 is the noise cancelling. 4 microphones were really good for the few times I had to call from a windy place or something, people could understand me no problem even with all the background noise.

I got the shipping notification for my Priv Leather Case... but not for my Priv... gg Digital River.

Paganmoon

I wouldn't worry about it it doesn't work anyway. Not only does it not pull my SMS messages it doesn't even grab my Skype conversations. Literally the app is empty when I open it. And when I try to send a text it doesn't even have my contacts available, or skype contacts.

it's not going to be broken forever.

Windows Mobile 10 |OT| There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

This one has my vote!

hadareud

The Translator
This one always works.
It's also very safe and kinda boring.

One thing I will miss from my 1520 is the noise cancelling. 4 microphones were really good for the few times I had to call from a windy place or something, people could understand me no problem even with all the background noise.

I got the shipping notification for my Priv Leather Case... but not for my Priv... gg Digital River.

I just read that Blackberry removed wireless charging (PMA/Qi compatible) from the Canadian version, because it was too expensive. Looks like no wireless charging support outside the US. Damn.

NeOak

I just read that Blackberry removed wireless charging (PMA/Qi compatible) from the Canadian version, because it was too expensive. Looks like no wireless charging support outside the US. Damn.

The unlocked version has it, since it is the same as the US version.

It is the carrier version that had it removed at the request of the carriers. Like the AT&T 1520 lol.

hwalker84

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Third Reboots A Charm
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| At least We Get Extra Onedrive Space...
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| A Fresh Start for the third time
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Is Anyone Left?
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Who Want Apps Without Updates?

Magni

I really want to stay with Windows Phone, I swear! But...

I'm moving to Japan, and I need to keep my US phone number. Google Voice supports porting numbers in, Skype doesn't. Google Voice supports incoming SMS, Skype doesn't.

Why :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No way I'm buying the at&t version. This will likely be a buggy version of a phone OS, and while I trust that MS will fix it over time like they've done with win10 desktop, I don't trust at&t to deliver those crucial updates in a timely manner.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah I think it's just too large. My gf is getting the XL so I'll see whether I regret the choice, but I think 5.2 inches is quite large enough.

Maybe if it had Note like features it would be a more interesting proposition, but even then I struggle to see whether I would actually make use of any of that considering that I have a tablet.

hadareud

The Translator
The worst part is how easily the back was scratched imo. That phone will look like absolute shit after a few weeks outside of a case. I don't think even the HTC Ones scratch as easily and they are awful.

The first one isn't surprising, as the glass was already cracked. With the second one, it looks like he applied much more force to bend it.

Well, I can guarantee that I won't be bending my 1020 no matter how much force I'll apply. Same with the 930 and presumably (let's hope at least) same with the 950. With the 920, your thumbs will fall off before you bend it.

I also doubt that you can break any of the current flagship phones (maybe outside HTC) anywhere near as easily.

edit: of course the question is how useful these bend-tests are in the real world. I mean, you're unlikely to sit on your phablet. That's why the aluminium being as easily scratched is a far bigger issue imo.

hwalker84

No way I'm buying the at&t version. This will likely be a buggy version of a phone OS, and while I trust that MS will fix it over time like they've done with win10 desktop, I don't trust at&t to deliver those crucial updates in a timely manner.

I still don't trust Microsoft to deliver the updates on the Unlocked version.

ElNino

I'd go big to get the 810 over the 808.
Assuming the liquid cooling for the 810 on the XL works to keep heat in check, would the 810 show a noticeable improvement over the 808?

I'm torn between the two phones as well, and from my limited exposure to them at the MS store a few weeks ago I preferred the size of the 950 over the XL in my hands. But, the 810 vs 808 is the only notable difference between the two (other than screen size) so I would like to know how much of a difference (if any) that would make.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lol why isnt AT&T carrying XL? Only MS will have them? Man I dont expect these phones so sell

Doffen

lol why isnt AT&T carrying XL? Only MS will have them? Man I dont expect these phones so sell

They don't need consumers to make it a success, businesses will save them.

That was after I made the thread, to reflect that it had been updated with information about Update 1. None of this silly and not funny stuff. Not fun allowed all the way, baby.

Well it does reflect the current state of Windows Phone/Mobile :p

What's funny about Verizon is that they already announced they'd carry the Priv, once the AT&T exclusivity has ended.

Zero fucks given about Windows.

Lazaro

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Broken Windows and Smashed Tiles
Windows 10 Mobile |OTI "It's a renovators dream!"
Windows 10 Mobile IOTI The Dark Souls of mobile OS's
Windows 10 Mobile IOTI The 1%

and of course

Windows 10 Mobile |OTI Guess who's coming to dinner.
A3hWk42.jpg

I remember bringing home my Surface Pro and my family just gave me a weird look. It irritated them for some reason. That experience was one of the reasons why I brought up that post about techno-racism against Microsoft. That and this old movie I remembered.

Lazaro

Strange. Surface is literally the only Microsoft products that I've not had to defend (IRL).

Yeah my family isn't so keen on non-iOS products, lol. They only like devices that "everyone else uses..."

Australia has a huge iOS/OSX following compared to other Western countries. iOS mainly though.

NeOak

Assuming the liquid cooling for the 810 on the XL works to keep heat in check, would the 810 show a noticeable improvement over the 808?

I'm torn between the two phones as well, and from my limited exposure to them at the MS store a few weeks ago I preferred the size of the 950 over the XL in my hands. But, the 810 vs 808 is the only notable difference between the two (other than screen size) so I would like to know how much of a difference (if any) that would make.
"Liquid cooling". Such a fancy marketing name for a simple heat sink with small heatpipe.

Check the disassembly video. You'll see the "dick shaped with square bawls" heatpipe.

To be fair though, I don't think any of the other SD 810 phones have one.

That was after I made the thread, to reflect that it had been updated with information about Update 1. None of this silly and not funny stuff. Not fun allowed all the way, baby.
Hey, I'm not so keen on thread subtitles either. Buy when you have a community as self-deprecating as Windows Phone...
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| 8 Steps Forward, 10 Steps Back
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| For All 10 of Us!
Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Still Waiting for the Update Edition

ElNino

"Liquid cooling". Such a fancy marketing name for a simple heat sink with small heatpipe.

Check the disassembly video. You'll see the "dick shaped with square bawls" heatpipe.

To be fair though, I don't think any of the other SD 810 phones have one.
I know it's not "real" liquid cooling, but it's also not present on the 950 or (possibly) on any other 810 based phone.

I'm just wondering whether it actually makes a difference as my understanding is that the 810 is only good until it overheats and starts throttling (which is often in some phones).

I know it's not "real" liquid cooling, but it's also not present on the 950 or (possibly) on any other 810 based phone.

I'm just wondering whether it actually makes a difference as my understanding is that the 810 is only good until it overheats and starts throttling (which is often in some phones).

The Xperia Z5 uses heatpipes as well.

NeOak

810 might be faster for certain things like web browsing and opening heavy PDFs, plus games. The Adreno 430 has 192 units vs 128 of the Adreno 418 in the 808.

810 also has almost double the memory (RAM) bandwidth of the 808.

810 can do HEVC encoding too in case MS enables it. The 808 can't.

Maybe some image processing due to the CPU. Photos should be the same speed because both have the same DSP.

If you plan to use Continuum, you should go for the XL. Otherwise, the 808 should be fine.

810 might be faster for certain things like web browsing and opening heavy PDFs, plus games. The Adreno 430 has 192 units vs 128 of the Adreno 418 in the 808.

810 also has almost double the memory (RAM) bandwidth of the 808.

810 can do HEVC encoding too in case MS enables it. The 808 can't.

Maybe some image processing due to the CPU. Photos should be the same speed because both have the same DSP.

If you plan to use Continuum, you should go for the XL. Otherwise, the 808 should be fine.
4K vids? slow mo vids?

do you think there will be a difference in performance?

Top Bottom