• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

$30 black Friday Lumia 640s at best buy. who's in? If the 25 of us here each buy one we can double the installed base.

Damn... I'd get 5 and hand them out to my family at Christmas. US gets the most insane deals for pretty much everything... $30, that's fucking insane. The cheapest 640 LTE you can find in Sweden is 1480SEK ($170).

Tablo

I did not expect the 640 to drop below the 60$ I just got mine for...
Tempted to buy another just cause, 30$ wtf. WTF.

Also did not know the 810 was that different from the 808, thought the 808 was the same besides two less A57 cores...
Kinda think the 950 XL makes more sense, I want to see benchmarks on how the heat sink affects the 810 performance.

hadareud

The Translator
I've never seen any lag with the pen on the SP3, so I'm assuming there's some sort of driver issue on the SP4 that needs fixing.

Also, nailed is putting it a bit strongly considering it lasts 12 hours - which is just ridiculous.

I've never seen any lag with the pen on the SP3, so I'm assuming there's some sort of driver issue on the SP4 that needs fixing.

Also, nailed is putting it a bit strongly considering it lasts 12 hours - which is just ridiculous.

Yeah, but there shouldn't be any driver issues with the fourth generation at launch. Same for the display driver issues, the keyboard disconnecting and whatnot. These aren't some new first gen issues.

And you're right. The battery on that thing is laughable for $99. When I said they nailed it, I was talking about the drawing aspect.

hadareud

The Translator
Sure, I agree. They certainly aren't brilliant at ironing out bugs in time for launch, no matter how pumped and inspired Panos is and how much fun everything is to him.

But you would think it's a minor issue that can be fixed pretty quickly.

I find it hilarious though that when you read a review of a product and it's a constant "it doesn't do this", "it can't do that", "it's really not very good at this" and then you see a score of 8.7 at the end, though.

I said this before, but I still believe that there is no company in the world that is better at selling potential. People don't base their opinions on what the product they are using is, but what it could be. And it's such an automated response to their products now that they don't even have to do anything towards it.

kazinova

There are Apple fanboys on my Twitter feed complaining that the reviews are too low. Harping on how reviewers kept saying the iPad Pro doesn't replace a laptop. And yet the iPad Pro is getting better reviewers than the Surface Pro 3 and 4. I don't see any need to complain for the Apple folks.

Sure, I agree. They certainly aren't brilliant at ironing out bugs in time for launch, no matter how pumped and inspired Panos is and how much fun everything is to him.

I find it hilarious though that when you read a review of a product and it's a constant "it doesn't do this", "it can't do that", "it's really not very good at this" and then you see a score of 8.7 at the end, though.

I said this before, but I still believe that there is no company in the world that is better at selling potential. People don't base their opinions on what the product they are using is, but what it could be. And it's such an automated response to their products now that they don't even have to do anything towards it.

Launch issues are one thing. But a non-working sleep mode that heats up your device? That should've warranted a delay of 1-2 weeks at least.

I agree on the potential part, though. I think we had a conversation about this before. While it sucks for other companies, Apple gets the luxury, because it's usually true. Just don't buy any of their first gen devices.

e: And to jump around and ramble a bit more, it's crazy to me that Apple can design an ARM SoC that rivals Intel's latest Skylake Core i5 and slays the Core M.

derFeef

This has been an overall issue this week, gaming and hardware. Haha.

JaggedSac

Yeah, but there shouldn't be any driver issues with the fourth generation at launch. Same for the display driver issues, the keyboard disconnecting and whatnot. These aren't some new first gen issues.

And you're right. The battery on that thing is laughable for $99. When I said they nailed it, I was talking about the drawing aspect.

To be fair, they made a pretty big change to their screen touch/pen stack. So that stuff is actually first gen.

To be fair, they made a pretty big change to their screen touch/pen stack. So that stuff is actually first gen.

I was saying that they don't get the have the benefit of the doubt anymore. Work on that shit until it actually works.

At least Apple hardware has always different issues at launch. :lol

e: Mashable has a 240 fps video comparison between the iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4.

http://mashable.com/2015/11/11/apple-ipad-pro-review/#TiipT_JZSkqU

Here’s what I learned. The eye cannot see things a good slo-mo camera can pick up. Neither system could actually keep up with my frenzied scrawl, but while the Surface Pro 4 actually lost track of the detail in my lines and seemingly made up the gaps, the iPad Pro, which was somewhat less behind, never lost the veracity of my line.

NeOak

e: And to jump around and ramble a bit more, it's crazy to me that Apple can design an ARM SoC that rivals Intel's latest Skylake Core i5 and slays the Core M.
The semiconductor company they bought had really good talent. They were designing a very fast PowerPC CPU when they were bought.

lol
So what am I doing wrong for my phone to have its audio crash or something? Second time this month that I don't hear my alarm because audio suddenly doesn't work. It's never done this before either. I check my phone and it's still on the alarm notification as if the sound were playing. Tell me I'm not the only one. Or is my 920 kicking the bucket?

JaggedSac

I was saying that they don't get the have the benefit of the doubt anymore. Work on that shit until it actually works.

e: Mashable has a 240 fps video comparison between the iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4.

Here’s what I learned. The eye cannot see things a good slo-mo camera can pick up. Neither system could actually keep up with my frenzied scrawl, but while the Surface Pro 4 actually lost track of the detail in my lines and seemingly made up the gaps, the iPad Pro, which was somewhat less behind, never lost the veracity of my line.

Yeesh, the lines drawn on the surface look like poop. I can't tell if that is caused by video compression or not but if it actually looked like that, why would anyone use that thing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The differences in pen response are somewhat concerning. Microsoft REALLY needs to improve the drivers on that thing ASAP.

With that said, I cringed every time the writer called the iPad Pro "a productivity marvel".

I mean, come the fuck on.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's amazing how quickly tech reviewers can go from "pens are totally useless except for a niche market and nobody uses them" to "wow the pen makes this iPad totally worth it despite ridiculously bad battery life for a pen device"

giga

You're not even trying, Giga. At least Faceless always mentions his IRC stuff, which is more believable.
In all seriousness though, I haven't gotten a tablet since I sold whatever iPad I had three years ago, which I used to read and annotate PDFs for my thesis. Laptops (and lapability) are still king for me, so I don't see this changing anytime soon.

hadareud

The Translator
Same reason anyone kills an app. They don't want to support it anymore due to lack of use.

It runs on PC, why would it not be used? It's not like a banking app where you might as well use the browser on your computer.

If you use W10 and your company uses Box, you'll use the app. That it also runs on mobile is a great side effect of universal apps.

JaggedSac

It runs on PC, why would it not be used? It's not like a banking app where you might as well use the browser on your computer.

If you use W10 and your company uses Box, you'll use the app. That it also runs on mobile is a great side effect of universal apps.

Why would someone not use the Box app? Because there is already a desktop app. Same reason MS will have trouble getting adoption of pretty much any universal apps. Why would Adobe create a universal app for Photoshop when these hybrid devices all run the full desktop? They can target these hybrid devices and traditional laptops and desktops with desktop software. The only hope is that they make iOS full featured software and decide to port to a universal app.

On a different note, Mossberg's thoughts on the Pro were somewhat reasonable. I certainly don't think his statement about them being useful for big businesses is true though. Especially not for showing spreadsheets or presentations because of the big screen, lol. I know I've been to a bunch of meetings where people turn their screens so everyone can see what they are doing /s

hadareud

The Translator
The desktop app is useless/total overkill when you just use it for accessing company files. Very few people will use that.

A lightweight modern app is much preferable.

JaggedSac

The desktop app is useless/total overkill when you just use it for accessing company files. Very few people will use that.

A lightweight modern app is much preferable.

If I am on desktop, integration with the file system is king, I want to open file explorer, not a separate app.

JaggedSac

On a tablet without a pen?

Of course not, but that gets to my point of the fact that the desktop is not going to be the impetus that drives universal app creation. At this point, it is only the Surface userbase that would drive it, and if that isn't big enough, well, it stays as it is today.

joshschw

Does Box app support drag & drop of files from Explorer? If not, it's rather useless, no?

UWP DO support it technically, but can't find any that actually do yet.

Even the Mail app doesn't. This is such a screwup so far...

Tablo

Does the Lumia 950 also have the "liquid cooling" tech?
Think I'm leaning towards a more pocketable phone, 100$ saved is also nice, pays for the warranty.
When is the 950 going on sale at the MS store, would rather buy from them than ATT, they might also give me a student discount on it.

Does the Lumia 950 also have the "liquid cooling" tech?
Think I'm leaning towards a more pocketable phone, 100$ saved is also nice, pays for the warranty.
When is the 950 going on sale at the MS store, would rather buy from them than ATT, they might also give me a student discount on it.
Yes, both have liquid cooling. 11/20 is the rumored date.

Higher PPI on the 950 too. honestly, I tried the XL and it's very pocketable. Much smaller than an iPhone 6+.

Top Bottom