• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Tablo

Yes, both have liquid cooling. 11/20 is the rumored date.

Higher PPI on the 950 too. honestly, I tried the XL and it's very pocketable. Much smaller than an iPhone 6+.

Thank you :) Source pls.
Yeah depending on benchmarks between 950 and 950 XL, and first hand impressions, I'll decide on which one.

Thank you :) Source pls.
Yeah depending on benchmarks between 950 and 950 XL, and first hand impressions, I'll decide on which one.

I haven't ready anywhere that both have liquid cooling. Only the 810s really needed it anyway due to overheating. I don't see MS spending extra resources to include something that wasn't necessary to begin with.

Since both handsets have gone through the FCC I am cautiously optimistic about rumors recently suggested a release on the 20th of 27th of November. Even my brothers who a big Android handset junky is considering the 950 or 950 XL. I was shocked.

Also Russia and Poland have launch events on the 24th of November.

joshschw

Anyone know why Lumia Selfie is gone from the store?

Also... Win10 update eon PC. My monitor color profile goes away. Default apps get reset. It's just obnoxious...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
PMv2X9B.jpg
Urmphf.

Lazaro

Tim Cook said:
I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?

So I cans make appz for your platform. You cant's developz app on an iPad silly.

He almost sounds like he's literally putting down Mac users. He could have phrased it better.

hadareud

The Translator
My SP4 impressions:

More of the same, but everything is a bit better than before. It's ever so slightly lighter - almost imperceptible when you pick it up, but holding it for a while that actually makes quite a difference. The screen was good before, now it's excellent. Just really sharp and the colours pop. The speakers are much, much better and Hello, for me, is a big thing.

If they wouldn't have tempted me so much with the trade in offers I wouldn't have gone for it, but now I'm really happy that I have.

2 things that aren't great:

- I miss having a Windows button. It was annoying and I hit it all the time when I didn't want to (the placement was just shit on SP3), but I still miss it. Now I have to have the taskbar visible at all times and when you use it as a tablet, that's not great. A button at the bottom of the screen where you don't actually hold the device would be much preferable.

- there is definitely a bit of lag with the pen. Not a problem when you are writing, but certainly not brilliant for artists. I hope they fix this with a driver upgrade. Other than that the pen is a good upgrade, nicer to use and the magnetic strip is much better than the loop. Didn't fall off in my bag either, btw.

I didn't do the SP4 upgrade since my SP3 is quite a capable machine. The main downsides of the SP3 were the black levels which were not the best in a dark room. Initially the wifi was really spotty but that was mostly addressed with some updates a few weeks to months after release. Also the fan would randomly go into beast mode while doing nothing more than browsing the internet. Lastly the type cover was passable.

I picked up the type cover 4 with fingerprint reader. Typing on it is so much better and was worthy of the upgrade price. Signing in with the fingerprint reader is good but it gets occasionally glitchy and does not work. Also the SP3 will just randomly not recognized input from the keyboard trackpad which is only corrected with a soft reset. That gets old fast. I'm guessing these will be addressed with an update soon. I'm not sure if there's a way to use the fingerprint reader for logging in not only to windows but to all websites/apps. My HP laptop had this option 8 years ago and it was great.

hadareud

The Translator
Lastpass will work with the fingerprint reader. Unfortunately there's no Hello integration for LP yet, though.

And of course, LP doesn't yet work on Edge since there's no extension support.

edit: black levels are much better on the SP4, btw.

n64coder

So my Windows 10 phone is stuck on a version from July 2015. It's my understanding that I should use the recovery tool to go back to 8.1. I did that and during the phone setup, it's asking if I want to restore from backup. Should I?

I want to get to the latest Windows 10 preview on the phone.

Nero3000

So my Windows 10 phone is stuck on a version from July 2015. It's my understanding that I should use the recovery tool to go back to 8.1. I did that and during the phone setup, it's asking if I want to restore from backup. Should I?

I want to get to the latest Windows 10 preview on the phone.

No i would sign in with another account, upgrade to W10, reset then sign in with your main account and restore from back up.

Nero3000

My SP4 impressions:

More of the same, but everything is a bit better than before. It's ever so slightly lighter - almost imperceptible when you pick it up, but holding it for a while that actually makes quite a difference. The screen was good before, now it's excellent. Just really sharp and the colours pop. The speakers are much, much better and Hello, for me, is a big thing.

If they wouldn't have tempted me so much with the trade in offers I wouldn't have gone for it, but now I'm really happy that I have.

What trade in offers did you get?

The baconit win10 update is awesome. Liking what I've seen from Universal apps from they ones we've seen so far.

Twitter, pls update mobile to the universal app.

Klocker

anybody on W10M able to get Favorites and or tabs to sync with other W10 devices?

thanks

says I need to be signed in with MS account... and I am of course afaik

not available yet in builds?

Top Bottom