• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Speaking of glance, have they re-added the option of having one picture as Glance, and another as the lockscreen? That's how it worked with the Glance Background app on my 1020, before I upgraded. Sort of disappointed when I noticed that's not how it works with Glance in Windows 10 Mobile.

You're saying this isn't possible anymore?

prgVjz2.jpg

Paganmoon

I... I don't know what that's supposed to be.

What I meant, was I used to have this as my lockscreen:

and this lovely thing as my Glance:

In Windows 10 Mobile, at least in the earlier builds on my 1020, after lots of hassle to finally get Glance settings back, I could only use the same picture as lockscreen for Glance.

So, has this been updated, or are we still "stuck" with lockscreen image as glance.

I... I don't know what that's supposed to be.

What I meant, was I used to have this as my lockscreen:

and this lovely thing as my Glance:

In Windows 10 Mobile, at least in the earlier builds on my 1020, after lots of hassle to finally get Glance settings back, I could only use the same picture as lockscreen for Glance.

So, has this been updated, or are we still "stuck" with lockscreen image as glance.

That's a picture of Joe Belfiore, head of Windows Phone at the time, set as my Glance screen background.

Paganmoon

That's a picture of Joe Belfiore, head of Windows Phone at the time, set as my Glance screen background.

Oh, I know it's Joe. wasn't what I meant :)

Anyway, you can still have Joe as Glance, but from what I saw with Win 10 Mobile, you'll have to have Joe as your lockscreen as well. Which was my original question, is that requirement still there with the latest updates (and on the 950), or have they reverted back to how it was with Windows 8.1 and Glance background, where the two weren't connected.

ElNino

ElNino,

The images do load for me when I tap on any of them, just like WP8.1.

Maybe you need to update Outlook?
So my Outlook Mail still won't load images. Anytime I view an email with images and try to load them it just displays the message that "The linked image cannot be displayed".

Seems there is an easy registry fix for this.... but how would I do that on W10M? And how would my registry have been corrupted out of the box, unless it was my 8.1 restore that did it?

I may try to reset the phone this weekend and start from scratch if I can't fix it otherwise.

So I'm thinking of giving Windows 10 mobile a spin before I probably jump ship to an iPhone. How is the new OS in a 820 (or a 920, as they share pretty much the same internals)?

ElNino

So, Mail has no live tile functionality?
It does actually, but mine wasn't working initially. I think it might have been due to the tile from my 8.1 recovery (I had a few tiles which didn't work properly at first). When I pinned the "new" Outlook Mail tile it started working.

Reading emails however is still not working for me.

EDIT: Seems I'm not alone with not being able to see images in the Outlook Mail app, found a thread on the Windows mobile devices community site. Several people there said the issue was fixed by doing a phone reset. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it fixes it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Held the 950 at the at&t store. Feels cheap in the hand, though it looks decent. Screen is gorgeous, took a few pics and liked it. OS was smooth, I really missed the interface. Place was packed, otherwise I might've been tempted to walk out with one.

It does actually, but mine wasn't working initially. I think it might have been due to the tile from my 8.1 recovery (I had a few tiles which didn't work properly at first). When I pinned the "new" Outlook Mail tile it started working.

Reading emails however is still not working for me.

EDIT: Seems I'm not alone with not being able to see images in the Outlook Mail app, found a thread on the Windows mobile devices community site. Several people there said the issue was fixed by doing a phone reset. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it fixes it.

Removing the live tile and repinning fixed it, didn't even think to do that.

hwalker84

I have images in my email but my live tile for outlook isn't working nor is notifications on my glance screen.
This OS sounds so far from being ready. I'm not even sure I want this phone anymore (
Who am I kidding :)
). No double tap to wake. No super sensitive touch. Buggy non finished OS. Boring throw away hardware. Weird button placement. Garbage tier apps. Cannot disable the second sim. Android app project on hold or cancelled. What the hell is going on with Microsoft and this OS?

joshschw

This OS sounds so far from being ready. I'm not even sure I want this phone anymore (
Who am I kidding :)
). No double tap to wake. No super sensitive touch. Buggy non finished OS. Boring throw away hardware. Weird button placement. Garbage tier apps. Cannot disable the second sim. Android app project on hold or cancelled. What the hell is going on with Microsoft and this OS?

This OS may have bugs, etc... but it's also got much more performance and capability - for apps - than Win Phone has ever had.

Most of these new universal apps are just not possible on WP8, certainly from a performance standpoint.

Why the 950 series lacks some basic things... who knows. Seems super odd,

RootCause

I was able to get a lumia 640 for $29.99 on a deal. I know it's not a top of the line phone, but it should give me a taste of windows phone. Should be here by next week.

Held the 950 at the at&t store. Feels cheap in the hand, though it looks decent. Screen is gorgeous, took a few pics and liked it. OS was smooth, I really missed the interface. Place was packed, otherwise I might've been tempted to walk out with one.

I would wait unless you need a phone now. It's nice and all but definitely not worth the $600.00 asking price especially one lock behind At&t update.

NeOak

I would wait unless you need a phone now. It's nice and all but definitely not worth the $600.00 asking price especially one lock behind At&t update.
Pretty much.

I only got one for my mom because:
1. Contract Pricing is 150
2. My monthly bill doesn't change whether I'm on a contract or out of contract due to my old plan with unlimited data
3. Replacing her 920
4. She really needs the camera

Otherwise, nope. I'm fine with my unicorn 1520.

hankster

Wait for the drop...

I grabbed a Nexus 5X 32G+$25 B&H gift card for $349 shipped no tax (BF FTW) JIC this takes a while....

Plastic doesnt automatically mean light (which was my point) - i mean look at the 920.

Of course not. But everyone keeps pointing out that the 950s feel cheap. I don't think that was ever the criticism of the 920. It was plastic, but never felt cheap. I also don't think it feels cheap, because it's light, but if they really used the same materials they did for the 630s or 640s, there's no surprise that the 950s feel that way and they should be rightly criticized for that.

LG G4 has specs and a camera on par with the 950s and is priced at $400US. Really, who is MS trying to lure here?

I sure aren't going to pay $650 for an XL that has no glance, no super sensitive screen, and no unified inboxes. If MS is trying to sell a "cheap" feeling flagship with beta software at least price it accordingly.

hwalker84

LG G4 has specs and a camera on par with the 950s and is priced at $400US. Really, who is MS trying to lure here?
The dumbasses in this thread like me. I'm trying to hold firm on a fire sale price but it's going to be tough when I go to the Microsift store today.

The dumbasses in this thread like me. I'm trying to hold firm on a fire sale price but it's going to be tough when I go to the Microsift store today.
I didnt step into an MS store yesterday for that very reason.

By the time the software is truly alpha the 950 prices will probably be adjusted accordingly.

edit: Oh I forgot to add "windows hello" to the list of beta apps.

Yeah the $849 asking price in Canada really pushed me away.

I had both the 950 and XL pre-ordered at the microsoft store at no-cost since I couldn't decide what I wanted. But after doing some reading, and watching reviews, I went with a Nexus 6P for $700 instead. I figure it will hold it's value enough for when the Surface Phone comes around.

The 950 series just isn't good enough for what they're asking, imo. It just feels like another interim device.

edit: I almost want to bite on a 930 or 1520 for around $300 as a windows device for now. Those are still my favourite.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

This is how I know we were separated at birth. I actually went to the at&t store again today with every intention to buy the phone, but the long lines again allowed me to walk away and wait for a sale. Really, I should be waiting on two things:

1. A sale price or bundle

2. Some sort of confirmation on how these things are going to be updated. Ideally, I should wait until the 950 or XL get their first update to be confident that MS is going to properly support them.

joshschw

it is ALWAYS worth waiting for a discount, especially with the pricing history of Lumia's in America.

Wait a month, save $100 sure seems worth it to me. and if you wait six months and get half off?

Never worth buying a phone on release day from a financial perspective.

I think Lumia 1520 went for something like $689 initially? I got it for $200 one year later.

Suerte

Yeah the $849 asking price in Canada really pushed me away.

I had both the 950 and XL pre-ordered at the microsoft store at no-cost since I couldn't decide what I wanted. But after doing some reading, and watching reviews, I went with a Nexus 6P for $700 instead. I figure it will hold it's value enough for when the Surface Phone comes around.

The 950 series just isn't good enough for what they're asking, imo. It just feels like another interim device.

edit: I almost want to bite on a 930 or 1520 for around $300 as a windows device for now. Those are still my favourite.

How are you finding the 6P?

I've cancelled my XL order as well - deciding whether to hold out for a discount or jump ship to Android.

How are you finding the 6P?

I've cancelled my XL order as well - deciding whether to hold out for a discount or jump ship to Android.

I switched to a Nexus 5 over the past 2 years after using a Lumia 920, so I'm pretty familiar with Android. I wanted a phablet size phone this go around, and the 6P is probably the best that I've tried of the phones that are out now.

I have a number of modifications that I do before I consider the Nexus usable, but it's a great phone either way.

There's a lot of little things I don't like about Android, and I miss a lot from Windows Phone - especially the keyboard - but it's worked well for me so far and the battery is killer.

Fingers crossed for a Surface Phone. Or hell, I'd even go for a Windows 10 Mobile build for the 6P like the Xiaomi has.

The 830 never went down in price. Sadly, I don't think the 950 will go down too quick either. It's tempting, but still feels beta. 8.1 is the more complete OS.

Those of you that are running 640 with Win10M , how is the performance? I am thinking about getting it for my son to replace his 920. I know that camera is a downgrade but he hardly ever take any pictures. It will be mostly for web browsing and YouTubes.

hankster

Those of you that are running 640 with Win10M , how is the performance? I am thinking about getting it for my son to replace his 920. I know that camera is a downgrade but he hardly ever take any pictures. It will be mostly for web browsing and YouTubes.
More than fine for that. Don't need 10 for that.

hankster

Jesus, the 830 is still $400. WTF, who's gonna buy that when phones like the G4 and Moto X Pure are $400 or less.

Moto E was even priced at $10 this wknd. MS is losing at every price point.
I picked up a Nexus 5X 32G +$25 B&H gift card for $349 out the door yesterday.

I will wait a 950 (reg or maybe XL) out for a while...

hankster

Good lord... rented a 10 cent movie and opted to save it to my phone as I'm going on a biz trip next week, but the damn thing won't finish the download. I just keeps getting almost done (one time less than 5% to go) and restarting, now for days officially. I have a ton of room on the SD card I am saving it to. If a normal thing like this is such a challenge on this phone...

Jesus, the 830 is still $400. WTF, who's gonna buy that when phones like the G4 and Moto X Pure are $400 or less.

Moto E was even priced at $10 this wknd. MS is losing at every price point.

Nexus 5x is $299 on Google or BestBuy ($349 for 32gb) ... yeah Microsoft is not even trying at this point.

I went to Microsoft store yesterday and what an terrible experience when you get hire scrub for holiday, the kid practically telling me I can't hold stuffs in my hands because I might run off with it. WTF. (It's the same kiosk store in the mall) Great sale though if you are looking for Microsoft products Xbox One game is pretty sweet deal and they all come with $10.00 gift cards. They have no XL on display and sold out of the few they got in (way to promote your new flagship). That said there are some die-hard fans out there for Windows Phone.

NeOak

Nexus 5x is $299 on Google or BestBuy ($349 for 32gb) ... yeah Microsoft is not even trying at this point.

I went to Microsoft store yesterday and what an terrible experience when you get hire scrub for holiday, the kid practically telling me I can't hold stuffs in my hands because I might run off with it. WTF. (It's the same kiosk store in the mall) Great sale though if you are looking for Microsoft products Xbox One game is pretty sweet deal and they all come with $10.00 gift cards. They have no XL on display and sold out of the few they got in (way to promote your new flagship). That said there are some die-hard fans out there for Windows Phone.

Man, what a different experience I got. I went to the MS Store to see if they had the unlocked 950 in stock, which they did not. So I end up buying the Halo Master Chief LE controller. So I see a Halo Legendary Edition and I knew it was half price. I asked the girl if they had one. She called and they got us one from the back. After paying for it, she notices the box is dinged, so she tries to get ahold of a manager. For 10 minutes we waited, and all the managers were still dealing with clients. She apologizes, I replied it was fine because everyone was really busy after all, and asks me if I want to return it because she called again and they told her it was the last one the had. I hesitated, so she went to the back and came out later with a new box, and gave me that one.

It was on black friday, and the store was packed, yet I got a very good experience.

Top Bottom