• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Hmm, anyone on WI. Does find my phone work for you still? Just noticed mine doesn't show up in my account anymore (It's on in settings etc)

joshschw

This is a silly request, but is there anywhere with a guide on how to get the best of the Lumia 950 camera? lol

I have this great camera and want to know all the cool tricks to take amazing pics

Not really silly - just that it's not really like there's a cheat sheet.

The basics for better pics I would say are the top 2 are:

Exposure - sometimes a pics will just seem too dark, you can increase the exposure compensation in advanced settings, or an easier way is to tap the screen on a darker area of the photo and the camera will compensate on its own - this also adjust focus so it wont work in every situation, but on a landscape for example, it would work great.

Focus - Like above you can tap to focus. But it also locks that focus in place. so say you tap on someone's face. if you then wait a couple seconds, it's not continually refocusing the photo so if they moved slightly the focus is where it was when you tapped. This can cause poor results. You HAVE to retap to re-focus if you use the tap method. This is by design, but I think it causes a lot of poor results from people who don't understand why it doesn't refocus.

Went to the mall today and I figured I would stop into the AT&T store just to try out the Lumia 950/950 XL (I don't know which one was AT&T Exclusive). I checked the whole store and couldn't find a display unit so I asked somebody and she said they didn't have anything set up. I don't know why but I figured with that exclusive partnership in mind AT&T would be obligated to have display units in all their stores. :|

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They had a display up at my local store, and I bought one..... for my mom. She is upgrading from her lumia 925. Specifically asked for a windows phone, and I was able to restore and have her home screen look identical, she was very happy. After extensive hands on, I think I can hold off for a special and some information on updates.

Went to the mall today and I figured I would stop into the AT&T store just to try out the Lumia 950/950 XL (I don't know which one was AT&T Exclusive). I checked the whole store and couldn't find a display unit so I asked somebody and she said they didn't have anything set up. I don't know why but I figured with that exclusive partnership in mind AT&T would be obligated to have display units in all their stores. :|
:jnc

joshschw

Yeah, I was taking some pictures earlier to test and sometimes it took a while to process.

My 1520 didn't take that long o.o

The whole post processing thing on the 950 and 950 XL sounds far from ideal

http://www.neowin.net/news/lumia-950xl-a-first-look-at-microsofts-windows-10-mobile-57-inch-flagship

I would say it's more of a glitch than actually taking that long.
On my 1520 it often hangs at that same area, and if you back out and load Photos app they show as normal and much faster than if I waited via Camera app.

Tablo

meh state of new flagships plus the failure that is the Snapdragon 808/810 is general has me thinking of getting my mom a 640 XL (has a messed up 1020, yellow cast photos fun times) instead to tide over until next round.

640 XL users, your impressions on everything including camera is much needed. thanks!

hwalker84

meh state of new flagships plus the failure that is the Snapdragon 808/810 is general has me thinking of getting my mom a 640 XL (has a messed up 1020, yellow cast photos fun times) instead to tide over until next round.

640 XL users, your impressions on everything including camera is much needed. thanks!

Yep nasty laundry list of issues and missing features on wpcentral forums.

MCD

Almost all Lumia launched with plenty of bugs. 920? Overheating, garbage Bluetooth and that stupid wifi turning off after like some minutes.

I could go on and on but fuck it. 950 is probably the buggiest of all lol.

Not really silly - just that it's not really like there's a cheat sheet.

The basics for better pics I would say are the top 2 are:

Exposure - sometimes a pics will just seem too dark, you can increase the exposure compensation in advanced settings, or an easier way is to tap the screen on a darker area of the photo and the camera will compensate on its own - this also adjust focus so it wont work in every situation, but on a landscape for example, it would work great.

Focus - Like above you can tap to focus. But it also locks that focus in place. so say you tap on someone's face. if you then wait a couple seconds, it's not continually refocusing the photo so if they moved slightly the focus is where it was when you tapped. This can cause poor results. You HAVE to retap to re-focus if you use the tap method. This is by design, but I think it causes a lot of poor results from people who don't understand why it doesn't refocus.

Thank you :)

Think I'm gonna return my Lumia 950 this week. I'm just tired of Microsoft not having their shit together with their phones. Gonna wait it out to see if things get better in the future.

Still deciding between the Nexus 6P or Moto X Pure though... will be my first time owning a smart phone that isn't Windows Phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Ayyyyy lmao

That and the super sensitivity. No bueno.

What about it? I thought it was there, the specs mention it.

The double tap to wake is a silly omission either way. Not that I ever used it (battery life and it being more natural to press the button to me), but why would you leave something like this out? Odd.

NeOak

The double tap to wake is a silly omission either way. Not that I ever used it (battery life and it being more natural to press the button to me), but why would you leave something like this out? Odd.

It does? I cannot find the option to turn it on or off.

Paganmoon

This is from the same company that didn't put Glance on the 930. It's not odd, it's par for the course.

hadareud

The Translator
It does? I cannot find the option to turn it on or off.

Yeah it's definitely listed http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/phone/lumia950/specifications/

There's no settings for it on my 1020 either on W10, so I suspect it's just always on.

This is from the same company that didn't put Glance on the 930. It's not odd, it's par for the course.

The reason for that was that they used screens that didn't support that feature on the 930.

I may be an ignorant (in fact I'm sure I am), but I can't see that the double touch to wake feature isn't technically supported by the hardware. So it's very odd.

What I really like about the LG G4 is that it no only has double-tap to wake but also double-tap to sleep. I was hoping the Lumia phones would finally catch up to that, since LG started to implement it with the G2.

hadareud

The Translator
Is that really a "catch up" feature?

I mean, it's nice to have, but at the end of the day it's a bit of a gimmick. Double tapping a screen instead of pressing a button isn't really a game changer.

Unlike Glance, for instance, which really is very useful and changes the way you use your phone.

Not that I think that that makes removing the feature is a good idea.

kharma45

What I really like about the LG G4 is that it no only has double-tap to wake but also double-tap to sleep. I was hoping the Lumia phones would finally catch up to that, since LG started to implement it with the G2.

They do, if you've got virtual buttons. Double tap the blank spots on the nav bar to put the phone to sleep.

Suerte

I mean, it's nice to have, but at the end of the day it's a bit of a gimmick. Double tapping a screen instead of pressing a button isn't really a game changer.

Unlike Glance, for instance, which really is very useful and changes the way you use your phone.

I don't know - on a phablet like the XL, double tap to wake might make it easier to wake the device up, rather than always reaching for the power button.

I use it a lot on my 830 so the fact the 950 doesn't have it is pretty poor.

It's the logical evolution, imo. It should definitely be part of, much like glance.

They do, if you've got virtual buttons. Double tap the blank spots on the nav bar to put the phone to sleep.

That's cool to know!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

The G4 keeps surprising me. My Dish network TV remote broke, so I was manually turning channels on the receiver itself like it was 1944... until I realized that the G4 has an IR blaster and a built in TV remote app.

At this point, battery life and the lack of fingerprint sensor are basically it's only weaknesses.

kharma45

The G4 keeps surprising me. My Dish network TV remote broke, so I was manually turning channels on the receiver itself like it was 1944... until I realized that the G4 has an IR blaster and a built in TV remote app.

At this point, battery life and the lack of fingerprint sensor are basically it's only weaknesses.

The G4 does tempt me a lot. It's a great phone for £250. Finger print sensor is the thing that I really want on my next device.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know - on a phablet like the XL, double tap to wake might make it easier to wake the device up, rather than always reaching for the power button.

I use it a lot on my 830 so the fact the 950 doesn't have it is pretty poor.

It's the logical evolution, imo. It should definitely be part of, much like glance.

I agree it's nice to have and especially when you got used to having it.

Removing it is silly unless there's some specific hardware restrictions. But since they removed it from the 550 too that seems unlikely.

What I'm saying is that it's not something that inconveniences you too much if you don't have it. Being able to see the most important information your phone has to give (notifications, time etc.) without having to actually wake the phone is a feature that changes the way you use your device significantly, double tapping vs. pressing a button doesn't really do that.

I agree it's nice to have and especially when you got used to having it.

Removing it is silly unless there's some specific hardware restrictions. But since they removed it from the 550 too that seems unlikely.

What I'm saying is that it's not something that inconveniences you too much if you don't have it. Being able to see the most important information your phone has to give (notifications, time etc.) without having to actually wake the phone is a feature that changes the way you use your device significantly, double tapping vs. pressing a button doesn't really do that.

It doesn't change the way I use my device, but it makes it better to use, makes me appreciate it a lot more and sets a standard for other phones. Much like how I don't want any new phone that doesn't have wireless charging. It's just a really convenient thing that I'd like to keep and definitely goes into deal breaker territory for me (but I'm weird like that). Although I'm starting to resign on wireless charging, because no one else cares.

Paganmoon

Seems like a minor feature at first, but very easy to get used to, and miss if it's gone. To press the button for waking it you need to hold the phone, I use double-tap when I have the phone flat on my desk. For instance, look over, see I've got a new mail via Glance. double-tap to wake it up and check the mail in notification bar, without having to pick it up. I mean, minor feature, but it's about QoL in the usage, and it adds tons imo. I don't think I've ever used double-tap while holding the phone, in that use case it would add nothing.

It's gone so far that, I'm getting annoyed with my (albeit pretty broken) Surface 2 now. I keep trying to double-tap the screen to wake it up, when it's on my desk, either flat or with the stand up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The G4 really is great. Glad I got it over all the other Android phones. Hits the sweet spot. Like Van said it is just missing the fingerprint sensor.

hadareud

The Translator
It doesn't change the way I use my device, but it makes it better to use, makes me appreciate it a lot more and sets a standard for other phones. Much like how I don't want any new phone that doesn't have wireless charging. It's just a really convenient thing that I'd like to keep and definitely goes into deal breaker territory for me (but I'm weird like that). Although I'm starting to resign on wireless charging, because no one else cares.

Seems like a minor feature at first, but very easy to get used to, and miss if it's gone. To press the button for waking it you need to hold the phone, I use double-tap when I have the phone flat on my desk. For instance, look over, see I've got a new mail via Glance. double-tap to wake it up and check the mail in notification bar, without having to pick it up. I mean, minor feature, but it's about QoL in the usage, and it adds tons imo. I don't think I've ever used double-tap while holding the phone, in that use case it would add nothing.

It's gone so far that, I'm getting annoyed with my (albeit pretty broken) Surface 2 now. I keep trying to double-tap the screen to wake it up, when it's on my desk, either flat or with the stand up.

For me it's a nice to have, but I don't think it can be compared to something like Glance or wireless charging.

I think a better comparison would be the camera button which is a slight annoyance to be missing after you got used to it, but if you don't have it life goes on.

I don't see that being described as a catch-up feature because it really isn't one, either.

Wireless charging and Glance are both changing the way you interact with and use your device quite significantly. Tapping a screen instead of pressing a button, whether it's to wake or to take a picture, is not really all that different. It's placing your finger in a slightly different location than you usually would.

And again, I'm not making excuses for them taking the feature away, which I think is stupid.

For me it's a nice to have, but I don't think it can be compared to something like Glance or wireless charging.

I think a better comparison would be the camera button which is a slight annoyance to be missing after you got used to it, but if you don't have it life goes on.

I don't see that being described as a catch-up feature because it really isn't one, either.

Wireless charging and Glance are both changing the way you interact with and use your device quite significantly. Tapping a screen instead of pressing a button, whether it's to wake or to take a picture, is not really all that different. It's placing your finger in a slightly different location than you usually would.

And again, I'm not making excuses for them taking the feature away, which I think is stupid.
On my 930 I really missed glance. On this S6 really miss having a camera button and double tap to wake. Wireless charging never real did it for me as it's slow and barely handier than plugging in.

Anyway, different strokes. I think double tap to wake is a pretty big miss as it's something I got used to an wish I still had.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The G4 really is great. Glad I got it over all the other Android phones. Hits the sweet spot. Like Van said it is just missing the fingerprint sensor.

I got my new battery and so far the battery life seems just as atrocious. Since you aren't getting the same issue I'll assume it's some app or something on Android that is causing massive drain. I'm honestly tired of this crap, I love the phone otherwise, but I don't feel like doing a full wipe and starting over. No idea when we are getting marshmallow on the G4 but if my n7 is any indication, I don't think doze is any miracle feature. Think I'm done with Android for now.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got my new battery and so far the battery life seems just as atrocious. Since you aren't getting the same issue I'll assume it's some app or something on Android that is causing massive drain. I'm honestly tired of this crap, I love the phone otherwise, but I don't feel like doing a full wipe and starting over. No idea when we are getting marshmallow on the G4 but if my n7 is any indication, I don't think doze is any miracle feature. Think I'm done with Android for now.

That sucks. Have you installed the Snapdragon battery manager?

Top Bottom