• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

This may be a question for lastflowers or dLMN8R but any response would be appreciated. My buddy ran into an issue updating his Icon to WP10 where the gears would hang and eventually a frown face would appear. He tried every trick to reset it but never got the phone to reset. He didn't know anyone with a Windows 7 PC and only had Vista himself, so he couldn't use the recovery tool.

Well he swapped out the phone with Verizon but now his second Icon also won't update to WP10. I was in town visiting family and spent more than 4 hours trying to get his phone to update. Once the gears show, the bar only fills about 60% and then the phone restarts. Rinse and repeat on the issue. Thankfully I had my work laptop and was able to use the recovery tool to reset his phone. Updates just fine to denim after using the recovery application but can't update to WP10 after trying three times.

Did Verizon send him a lemon or is there something wrong with the insider update causing the issue? Any help would be great.

Why are you returning it? Was there a specific thing? I bought it for my mom, seems to run fine, so I'd like to know.

I think the phone is very nice, sleek and fast. But apps crash more than they should and the phone reboots more than it should. I love the OS so much, but I feel like it needs a little bit more work.

Also, the lack of consistency with the the overall phone. The app gap is getting to me as well.

I don't know, I feel like I just want a more complete experience with a phone, and Windows 10 Mobile feels incomplete to me.

NeOak

I think the phone is very nice, sleek and fast. But apps crash more than they should and the phone reboots more than it should. I love the OS so much, but I feel like it needs a little bit more work.

Also, the lack of consistency with the the overall phone. The app gap is getting to me as well.

I don't know, I feel like I just want a more complete experience with a phone, and Windows 10 Mobile feels incomplete to me.
Then jump to an iPhone.

Android is wonky too.

Wait so the Groove Music pass does not let you download music for offline play? Am I missing something? If not, I'll probably look to roll back to 8.1.

clav

And with that level of knowledge and caring about these things, it has got to be an honest claim.

When a manufacturer chooses to manufacture a phone, cost of the modem rises/decreases depending on how many bands it supports. Samsung does this with its Galaxy line up, so rarely US branded Samsung phones are cross data compatible with each other. You can't use data for a Samsung Verizon phone on Sprint's network because it's missing bands. Same scenario plays out with different carriers.

Since Microsoft is not all-in on this phone probably because of the inevitable Surface phone, they only chose GSM bands, specifically tailored to AT&T.

Action is a shitty cost cutting move that is silently polluting the environment, and I guess the only thing you can do is vote with your wallet.

joshschw

When a manufacturer chooses to manufacture a phone, cost of the modem rises/decreases depending on how many bands it supports. Samsung does this with its Galaxy line up, so rarely US branded Samsung phones are cross data compatible with each other. You can't use data for a Samsung Verizon phone on Sprint's network because it's missing bands. Same scenario plays out with different carriers.

Since Microsoft is not all-in on this phone probably because of the inevitable Surface phone, they only chose GSM bands, specifically tailored to AT&T.

Action is a shitty cost cutting move that is silently polluting the environment, and I guess the only thing you can do is vote with your wallet.

Except it apparently has all needed Verizon bands.

The issue is Verizon - I assure you.
You have high ups at Verizon calling Windows phones the Nokia Lumia 10, and it's why the ICON bombed and was EOLed so quickly.

But the phone hardware does have support for Verizon bands, if I am not mistaken. It's just that Microsoft couldn't been arsed to submit it to Verizon for support in their network (after all, they were burned with the Icon fiasco) and just locked the compability by software.

I can't help but think that this company is treating their so called flagship as a afterthought. It is dissapointing, as I have been playing around with the latest build this last couple of days in my 820 and I've found it to be great.

ElNino

Wait so the Groove Music pass does not let you download music for offline play? Am I missing something? If not, I'll probably look to roll back to 8.1.
You can download music to play offline in Groove. I just downloaded all of my playlists in fact.

Saw this video in my Youtube watch history and it serves as a painful reminder to what never happened and probably never will happen. It's a shame since in a lot of ways it looks like the designer better captured the functionality of Windows compared to MS's actual developers. In other news I'm really enjoying the 640.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVC4BKWaP8

clav

Except it apparently has all needed Verizon bands.

The issue is Verizon - I assure you.
You have high ups at Verizon calling Windows phones the Nokia Lumia 10, and it's why the ICON bombed and was EOLed so quickly.

But the phone hardware does have support for Verizon bands, if I am not mistaken. It's just that Microsoft couldn't been arsed to submit it to Verizon for support in their network (after all, they were burned with the Icon fiasco) and just locked the compability by software.

I can't help but think that this company is treating their so called flagship as a afterthought. It is dissapointing, as I have been playing around with the latest build this last couple of days in my 820 and I've found it to be great.

Why does Microsoft keep going to them then?

I'm using the 950 and its "more tiles" mode is 3 columns at my scaling setting (default). Plenty of room for interactivity on wide tiles, let alone extra wide if they started using them on mobile.

NeOak

I'm using the 950 and its "more tiles" mode is 3 columns at my scaling setting (default). Plenty of room for interactivity on wide tiles, let alone extra wide if they started using them on mobile.

Seems they only work when they are ultra wide (2 columns)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

A few questions:

-are you back on insider with the 950? I understand there is a newer build than the one the phone shipped with.

-did you get the surface 3 offer?

-is there a slow motion mode on the camera?

-are you getting the dock?

Saw this video in my Youtube watch history and it serves as a painful reminder to what never happened and probably never will happen. It's a shame since in a lot of ways it looks like the designer better captured the functionality of Windows compared to MS's actual developers. In other news I'm really enjoying the 640.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVC4BKWaP8

Ms should really use this video as a design goal for windows mobile.

Probably never will happen :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Different writer than whoever is reviewing the phones! #VergeDefenseForce

The Verge also posted an article stating point blank that we don't need a thinner iphone. They're right. Removing the headphone jack just to make a phone thinner, when people would prefer better battery life instead, is just dumb. Hopefully they stick to that position, but we all know what happens is that they get a hold of the jewel-like iphone and fawn and give it it's automatic 9/10.

A few questions:

-are you back on insider with the 950? I understand there is a newer build than the one the phone shipped with.

-did you get the surface 3 offer?

-is there a slow motion mode on the camera?

-are you getting the dock?

Nah, not on Insider--I may hop back on it, but don't really feel compelled to, yet.

No Surface 3 offer :( Was there supposed to be one?

Yes, there is! 720p 120fps, I believe.

Continuum Dock? Yes, planning on it. Maybe for Christmas.

hadareud

The Translator
Stupid question:

Are your existing wall plugs working for rapid-charging if you use a compliant USB Type C cable or do you need a different plug?

I just ordered 4 new cables in anticipation of the new phones and I'm not sure whether I should get a couple of plugs too (even though I probably won't need them anyway).

This may be a question for lastflowers or dLMN8R but any response would be appreciated. My buddy ran into an issue updating his Icon to WP10 where the gears would hang and eventually a frown face would appear. He tried every trick to reset it but never got the phone to reset. He didn't know anyone with a Windows 7 PC and only had Vista himself, so he couldn't use the recovery tool.

Well he swapped out the phone with Verizon but now his second Icon also won't update to WP10. I was in town visiting family and spent more than 4 hours trying to get his phone to update. Once the gears show, the bar only fills about 60% and then the phone restarts. Rinse and repeat on the issue. Thankfully I had my work laptop and was able to use the recovery tool to reset his phone. Updates just fine to denim after using the recovery application but can't update to WP10 after trying three times.

Did Verizon send him a lemon or is there something wrong with the insider update causing the issue? Any help would be great.

hrm, I'll search around. I haven't heard of anything along those lines in a while, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No Surface 3 offer :( Was there supposed to be one?

Yeah, at At&t you can get a Surface 3 at a discount with 2yr agreement when you buy a Lumia phone. I'm thinking about it, even though it's the 64gb version. I think online it said the price is $399 but at the store with my mom the sales rep said $299. I'm not sure if she misspoke since my mom didn't take the offer anyways.

In terms of the Insider program, I want to know if it's even possible, I saw somewhere online that the 950 isn't supported yet for Insider. The reason I ask is because there is already a newer version of the OS than the version on the 950 and the lack of updates from AT&T is my biggest reservation about picking up the phone. Would be nice if we had more information on how updates work for the 950, both Insider and carrier.

Wasn't slow-motion a coming feature? already implemented?

You're thinking of panorama.

KageMaru

Finally set up the 640 I purchased last week. Can't believe how good this phone is for $30. WP10 even runs great on the device. Forgot how much I miss double tap to wake and glance.

hrm, I'll search around. I haven't heard of anything along those lines in a while, though.

Many thanks, I appreciate it

Yeah, at At&t you can get a Surface 3 at a discount with 2yr agreement when you buy a Lumia phone. I'm thinking about it, even though it's the 64gb version. I think online it said the price is $399 but at the store with my mom the sales rep said $299. I'm not sure if she misspoke since my mom didn't take the offer anyways.

In terms of the Insider program, I want to know if it's even possible, I saw somewhere online that the 950 isn't supported yet for Insider. The reason I ask is because there is already a newer version of the OS than the version on the 950 and the lack of updates from AT&T is my biggest reservation about picking up the phone. Would be nice if we had more information on how updates work for the 950, both Insider and carrier.

Yeah Gabe confirmed the 950 phones aren't eligible for insider builds yet but they are working on it.

hadareud

The Translator
Reads like a load of speculative shite, to be quite honest.

And the notion that Intel will produce some sort of mobile super chip is frankly laughable.

Nero3000

Rubino has been hinting at this for some time though.

Intel has produced competitive atoms for a while now...let's see what happens when someone builds software to go with them.

Lets face it all we care about is the design and smoothness of the OS.

a flagship surface phone sounds like a year away. those abandoned apps will get worse by then. unless Microsoft can get their shit together and get their phones to more carriers and retail outlets.

Milchjon

dodcuyxyd2owmt7jrtbo.png

Looks like something from a N64 game's boot screen.

Top Bottom