• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

The power button placement really mind boggling. Many missed button presses especially with a case on the 950 XL. Tap wake sorely needed. At least the to power off works well.

My guess is they changed the button layout on the phablet so users didn't have to reach so far up to adjust the volume. I much rather have it this way than having the power button on the opposite side.

ElNino

My guess is they changed the button layout on the phablet so users didn't have to reach so far up to adjust the volume. I much rather have it this way than having the power button on the opposite side.
Yeah, I would imagine that is the case, and that the 950 is small enough to not worry about reaching to the top for volume.

I feel it isn't necessarily ideal, but I've gotten used to using the power button. It's the volume buttons that I have more issue with, but I use those far less so I will make do.

Paganmoon

If you live in london ill swap back covers with you

Thanks for the offer, but NeOak is right.

The white one looks great tbh. Got that one from AT&T.

I think he is in Sweden

Yeah, you can just swap the back cover, which is basically the entire phone enclosure (excluding the screen, of course).

Need to get a cover to swap it with, and the Mozo ones haven't struck my fancy.

Anyway, caved in and went to get the white one, get to the store, talk some with the salesperson, apparently after I left they got another shipment in, with black 950's. But they were Dual-sim variants, and I know I'm going to lose my mind if I keep seeing the "sim-card missing" icon, so I said, the hell with it, I've started to warm to the white one, so I'll just take it. He checks for a few seconds and says, "yeah, the white ones are also Dual-sim variants, only the XL is single sim".

I think the universe is trying to tell me to hold off on getting the phone... The universe is a fucking dick.

toff74

If you live in london ill swap back covers with you

I strolled Oxford Street and Regent Street at lunch. There were a few 950 demo units out and just the one xl. Nowhere had any actual phones apart from an assistant in curry's/pc world/Carphone warehouse who had a 950 in her back pocket. After reading bad things about how these felt in the hand it genuinely felt a good weight and sturdy. The silver hoop on the back looks way better in life than pictures too.

The best comment was from a lady in Vodafone. When i asked if they had any 950xls in stock she grinned and said ' A popular phone that. You're the third to ask about it today'

What's the best WP10 file explorer? I would like one that gives me access to all files that are normally hidden with basic file explorer. For instance, I normally DVR shows but sometimes I have to watch them on the go so I'll download them via torrent app. The app stores the files in folders but they are hidden so I can't access the files directly.

ElNino

I strolled Oxford Street and Regent Street at lunch. There were a few 950 demo units out and just the one xl. Nowhere had any actual phones apart from an assistant in curry's/pc world/Carphone warehouse who had a 950 in her back pocket. After reading bad things about how these felt in the hand it genuinely felt a good weight and sturdy. The silver hoop on the back looks way better in life than pictures too.
I agree, the silver ring on the 950 looks much nicer in person than it did in the renders. It looks more like brushed aluminum whereas the pictures made it look more like chrome.

That being said, I still opted for the XL instead even though I liked the form factor of the 950 better in store.

The best comment was from a lady in Vodafone. When i asked if they had any 950xls in stock she grinned and said ' A popular phone that. You're the third to ask about it today'
There are DOZENS of us!

dLMN8R

So would you folks recommend my wife upgrade from a Lumia 830 to a 950 non-XL?

For me personally, I could learn to live with glitches/bugs, but I'm wondering how it holds up for a non-technical user who cares about the camera more than any other feature of a phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I bought it for my mom, and she's had it for a few days now. I even set up windows hello for her. I was worried about the same thing, in terms of bugs that would ruin the day to day experience but she tells me everything is working fine. She is elderly, so if there was any issues, she would immediately let me know. Seems to work fine so far.

Edit: she was coming from a 925.

Suerte

Just out of interest, which store had the XL? Might pop in tomorrow. :)

hwalker84

I bought it for my mom, and she's had it for a few days now. I even set up windows hello for her. I was worried about the same thing, in terms of bugs that would ruin the day to day experience but she tells me everything is working fine. She is elderly, so if there was any issues, she would immediately let me know. Seems to work fine so far.

Called my local store to reserve my i7 16GB Surface Pro 4 (Thanks work!!!) and asked about the 950/XL. They said they're actually sold out. What? Must've only gotten one each.

toff74

Just out of interest, which store had the XL? Might pop in tomorrow. :)

If I remember correctly it was the fairly large pc world/curry's/Carphone warehouse between TCR and Oxford circus was only a dummy unit but you get a good impression of its size and look (gorgeous). that was also where I got to play with a 950 too. The lady was really helpful and Demod hello windows and seemed to own a lumia.

The o2 shops were good with 950's working on display, only none in stock.

Desperate to get one now. Ignore the negative comments about the plastic not feeling good. Lies!! Wish I'd got into the Launch event. Both my parents my wife and myself wouldve had them! That would bring our total to 14! One step closer to lumia world domination.

NeOak

Thanks for the offer, but NeOak is right.

Need to get a cover to swap it with, and the Mozo ones haven't struck my fancy.

Anyway, caved in and went to get the white one, get to the store, talk some with the salesperson, apparently after I left they got another shipment in, with black 950's. But they were Dual-sim variants, and I know I'm going to lose my mind if I keep seeing the "sim-card missing" icon, so I said, the hell with it, I've started to warm to the white one, so I'll just take it. He checks for a few seconds and says, "yeah, the white ones are also Dual-sim variants, only the XL is single sim".

I think the universe is trying to tell me to hold off on getting the phone... The universe is a fucking dick.

Microsoft only sells 950s and 950 XLs dual SIM. That's what arrived from the MS store: Lumia 950 Dual SIM.

Seems only the carrier variants are single SIM in the US at least.

Ditto. My mom is the one that is using it.

Paganmoon

Does the 640 use a nano or micro sim?

640 is micro-sim

Microsoft only sells 950s and 950 XLs dual SIM. That's what arrived from the MS store: Lumia 950 Dual SIM.

Seems only the carrier variants are single SIM in the US at least.

I was at a local retailer here in Sweden, not affiliated with Microsoft. Though they did have the 950 single sim on their webpage (shouldn't be an error, since they also list the 950 dual sim, separately). So I ordered it online instead, and they throw in a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter if you order online. So I'll be getting both the wireless display adapter, and the display dock for free, not too bad of an offer.

PG2G

What's the best WP10 file explorer? I would like one that gives me access to all files that are normally hidden with basic file explorer. For instance, I normally DVR shows but sometimes I have to watch them on the go so I'll download them via torrent app. The app stores the files in folders but they are hidden so I can't access the files directly.

What torrent app are you using? Any of the Modern ones should let you choose where on the file system to store the files. Sounds like you might be using an old app from the days that no file system access days?

hadareud

The Translator
Just received my 950.

Fucking hell it's thin. Light, too.

edit: the plastic doesn't feel cheap or flimsy at all, you weirdos.

Just received my 950.

Fucking hell it's thin. Light, too.

edit: the plastic doesn't feel cheap or flimsy at all, you weirdos.

gIjWwsF.jpg

Happy holidays.

hadareud

The Translator
Have to get used to the size, it's huge compared to the 1020.

The speed of the camera is ridiculous when the 1020 is what you're used to.

The hello beta isn't brilliant so far. The distance you have to hold the phone at is far too close. I hope that's improved over time.

n64coder

I'm going to have check it out in person since I was planning on the 950 XL. I'm ready for an upgrade and I have some MS Store gift cards to ease the cost pain.

ElNino

The hello beta isn't brilliant so far. The distance you have to hold the phone at is far too close. I hope that's improved over time.
Pretty much my exact feelings as well, coming from a 1020 to the XL.

I need to spend some time with the camera to see what works for it. Having never used Rich Capture, I'm not sure in what scenarios it makes sense to use it yet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I really really loved using rich capture, and kept it on all the time, given that you could later go in and edit the effects somewhat.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Though in most cases it probably brings nothing to the table, in some it might.

The screen is amazing by the way, absolutely beautiful.

edit: also, the on-screen buttons are much better than I'd anticipated. No worse than the capacitive ones, and you're nowhere near as likely to press one by accident.

Milchjon

Lumia 850 leak.

oooooh yeah. If the camera is any good at all, this might be what I'm looking for. Can only hope for Continuum.

Edit: USB at the top makes me think Continuum. Can't see any other reason than better placement if connected.

Lumia 850 leak.

oooooh yeah. If the camera is any good at all, this might be what I'm looking for. Can only hope for Continuum.

Edit: USB at the top makes me think Continuum. Can't see any other reason than better placement if connected.

that 850 is beautiful, a great refinement over the already beautiful 830/930 design. looks more premium than the 950s and looks like it would even attract apple fans.

camera though? there's no camera button so what does that tell you.

continuum? it's already confirmed to be available on lower price points, not just the flagships.

Microsoft-Lumia-850-02.jpg

The USB port looks like a regular micro USB, which means no Continuum.

e: OnLeaks says that the 850 might not even happen, as does Brad Sams. The dream is already dead, Jon.

hadareud

The Translator
I've decided that I consider the design and look of the 950 to be sleek and understated. I like it. The plastic too.

However: I'd like the edges to be more rounded, it's not particularly comfortable to hold. And I'd also like the glass to have a bit of a curve on it like previous Lumias, it feels weird that it's all straight and there's also a bit of a nub at the edge that I could do without.

toff74

Just had confirmation that my 950xl has shipped from the Carphone Warehouse. Hope.that means it's coming Monday

Finally upgrading from the 920! Definitely not waiting this long next time..

I've decided that I consider the design and look of the 950 to be sleek and understated. I like it. The plastic too.

However: I'd like the edges to be more rounded, it's not particularly comfortable to hold. And I'd also like the glass to have a bit of a curve on it like previous Lumias, it feels weird that it's all straight and there's also a bit of a nub at the edge that I could do without.

I agree with this. I have a rubber case that solves the problem. I still would like to find a glass screen protector that fully adheres to the screen and doesn't bubble up on the edges.

hadareud

The Translator
Played with the improve recognition feature for Hello from different angles and distances and it now works much better.

Far quicker than before and I don't have to hold the phone up in a weird angle anymore.

Good stuff.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Really really wish there was more 950xl stock here in the US. Unfortunately I was out of the country when the pre-orders went up.

Sorry to ask another question lol. Just got my UK xl in. This feels pretty decent in the hand comparing with my current 920.

Anyway, wp10 insider: is data sense showing up for people? I'm pretty sure it was there for me a few days ago as I remember setting the limit. I just upgraded contract and had to pick up a new sim (in anticipation of the micro 920 > nano XL) and now I cannot connect to the net. It has been over 24 hours which is the max time is should take. The other sim is already dead to calls.

Calls work fine on new sim but I seem to have no data and I can't see anywhere to set a limit in this new data usage setting.

Already called EE and will call again tomorrow but just wondering if anyone else has an idea

Thanks

Edit: err never mind, all the APN settings had disappeared. Put them in again and everything is fine.

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.29

Feedback we have addressed includes:

You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.

Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.

Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.

Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.

We have resolve issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.

Data profiles are now correctly restored in the out of box experience that would prevent some devices from sending or receiving MMS messages.

Quick question: my Cortana is not working quite as it should since the update from 8.1 to 10 preview. Namely, "Hey Cortana" does not work at all (To the point where if I go in to try and train it, it will wait till I say it, then error out with "Sorry I didn't catch that"), and it seems to have lost the ability to recognize my playlists. Nokia Icon. Are there any known fixes for this?

EDIT: On the fast ring, and just installed that most recent update.

NeOak

Quick question: my Cortana is not working quite as it should since the update from 8.1 to 10 preview. Namely, "Hey Cortana" does not work at all (To the point where if I go in to try and train it, it will wait till I say it, then error out with "Sorry I didn't catch that"), and it seems to have lost the ability to recognize my playlists. Nokia Icon. Are there any known fixes for this?

EDIT: On the fast ring, and just installed that most recent update.
1520 here. Same bug.

Top Bottom