• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kharma45

I can't watch this now. What bugs does he show?

Had to get a second phone because of the number of bugs. Both phones has issues where it

- wouldn't shoot 4K video
- notification shade not deploying
- camera would only launch in portrait
- outlook being so, so slow
- app updates and downloads timing out and not happening
- people hub tile not syncing with google account
- live tiles getting stuck and not updating
- lots of random reboots

I can't watch this now. What bugs does he show?
I cataloged them in case anybody can't or doesn't want to watch the video. He mostly talks about them around 8:50 in.

Bug at 4:15 where a profile picture doesn't load in contacts.
Talks at around 8:40 that their phone gave errors shooting in 4K and they requested a replacement device that still had some issues.
8:55 Him saying notification shade wouldn't appear with repeated tries.
9:00 Camera button only working in portrait mode.
9:05 Outlook taking too long to send email.
9:10 Windows Store downloads/updates freezing or timing out.
9:12 People Hub not syncing with Google Apps account.
9:18 Live titles getting stuck.
9:20 Pretty much says the phone constantly restarts itself.

(Edit) Beaten!

Dammit, Domino's Pizza app doesn't work for W10 Mobile. Someone call Satya, I need to get my pan pizza on.

Edit: Edge browser saved the day again.

dLMN8R

That's what I'm hoping. I've read/heard a number of people state these things with absolutely awful quality issues which don't seem to be universal.

hadareud

The Translator
I would think so, my gf doesn't have any of these issues on her XL either.

On a positive note, battery life is good for me.

I was at the football today, used the phone quite extensively including about an hour of gaming on the tube and after 14 hours without charging I have 25% left. My 1020 would not have made it anywhere near as far.

clav

That's what I'm hoping. I've read/heard a number of people state these things with absolutely awful quality issues which don't seem to be universal.

Speaking of which, the mail app on Windows 10 machines is broken.

Stuff gets lost in Sent.

Live tile doesn't work.

Come on. It's already the second public release.

Speaking of which, the mail app on Windows 10 machines is broken.

Stuff gets lost in Sent.

Live tile doesn't work.

Come on. It's already the second public release.

Try to unpin and re-pin your tile for Mail. That fixed my live tile issue.

My bugs have been with copy paste. It's riddled with bugs. I cannot copy paste a link in edge, I can copy a link from Edge and paste in Slack if I close the Slack app after I copy and then open the Slack app and paste. Fun stuff like that...

The Messaging experience is also pretty bad, but not seeing bugs there, just a lack of polish.

clav

Try to unpin and re-pin your tile for Mail. That fixed my live tile issue.

My bugs have been with copy paste. It's riddled with bugs. I cannot copy paste a link in edge, I can copy a link from Edge and paste in Slack if I close the Slack app after I copy and then open the Slack app and paste. Fun stuff like that...

The Messaging experience is also pretty bad, but not seeing bugs there, just a lack of polish.

Didn't work.

joshschw

I don't. Though I can't comment on the gmail issue.

Seems like he had a faulty unit.

I just updated my mothers 640 yesterday, 30 mins before the new update! oops.

She did have a gmail contact issue with the People hub. it only synced few contacts. But the issue was on Google's end I am fairly sure as it stores contacts very.... wrong.

Even finding the google page for contacts was not easy.

I ended up exported the contacts from her Microsoft account, since it was syncing with her Google contacts, and importing them to her GOogle contacts.

This took a long time to figure out.

I am not willing to blame Microsoft for that one. Google & contacts is a joke.

ElNino

Had to get a second phone because of the number of bugs. Both phones has issues where it

- wouldn't shoot 4K video
- notification shade not deploying
- camera would only launch in portrait
- outlook being so, so slow
- app updates and downloads timing out and not happening
- people hub tile not syncing with google account
- live tiles getting stuck and not updating
- lots of random reboots
That sounds bad, but I haven't seen any of these issues on my 950 XL. Not that everything has been perfect, but I haven't noticed any of these.

hwalker84

Why did ms luanch an unfinished product? You guys are seriously beta testing this?
Well most of us knew this was going to happen based on the state of the insider builds. Some of us still bought them. Not many.

Played with the 950XL today at the Microsoft store. Felt good in the hands. Screen was sick. Phone didn't blow me away though.

ElNino

On a positive note, battery life is good for me.

I was at the football today, used the phone quite extensively including about an hour of gaming on the tube and after 14 hours without charging I have 25% left. My 1020 would not have made it anywhere near as far.
My XL has been getting decent battery life now that things have settled down.

I took the phone off the charger yesterday at 5 PM before heading out to a Christmas dinner party for my wife's work. I used the phone a bit during the party, including streaming some video from Onedrive. I didn't charge the phone over night and have been using the phone moderately today. Currently I'm at 40% battery after approx 30 hours between charges (some of that overnight though with no screen time).

nillapuddin

there is no god

de76dcf9d72a60595947efd72e34349b023bba25.jpg

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4197398069?pn=1

NeOak

Mine is with word flow on Edge. I have to press spacebar to add a space, but I don't need to do that on the other apps.

Write a word, have to press spacebar, write another word.

If i don't, what happens is I write a word, then go for a second one and instead of the second word, it adds the space.

Heretic

my gf (950) and I (950XL) get random reboots all the time.

Mine is with word flow on Edge. I have to press spacebar to add a space, but I don't need to do that on the other apps.

Write a word, have to press spacebar, write another word.

If i don't, what happens is I write a word, then go for a second one and instead of the second word, it adds the space.

This happens to me when I use the Facebook app. Annoying as hell.

kharma45

So do people here also have the issues he showed in the video?

http://youtu.be/hRwIXLcS4c0

This review has the same issue with the notification shade but a few others like videos locking up, photos album glitching, maps app not loading any maps and crashes.

I don't. Though I can't comment on the gmail issue.

Seems like he had a faulty unit.

That's what they thought, hence why they replaced the device half way through the review period but still had these issues.

Why did ms luanch an unfinished product? You guys are seriously beta testing this?

I can't get my head around it. It's laughably amateur.

hadareud

The Translator
. That's what they thought, hence why they replaced the device half way through the review period but still had these issues.

No he said he had fewer issues on the second phone.

Fewer can mean none of them apart from one or all of them.

Having looked at some forums, these issues are not common. Not that there aren't others, but the suggestion that they released something that barely functions is a load of shite.

kharma45

No he said he had fewer issues on the second phone.

Fewer can mean none of them apart from one or all of them.

Having looked at some forums, these issues are not common. Not that there aren't others, but the suggestion that they released something that barely functions is a load of shite.

Reading the written review the 4K video problem was with both devices, and with Michael describing the following bugs are being most prevalent that would infer it happened on both

Leaving aside the awful user experience of having to manually transcribe and search for a 20-digit code to diagnose a problem, let’s run down some of the Lumia 950’s most prevalent bugs. The camera button will sometimes launch the viewfinder and sometimes it won’t. Outlook will often take more than a minute to load simple images from an email, and will sometimes time out while sending email even over a speedy connection. Windows Store downloads will frequently error out, requiring a restart to fix. The People Hub won’t always reliably sync with a Google Apps account, leading to address book problems. Live tiles for built-in apps like News will occasionally become “stuck” on the same image regardless of new updates. Windows Hello sometimes takes a vacation, skipping you directly to the PIN code without first looking for your eyes, for no apparent reason. And boy howdy, does this phone love to reboot. If you’re a fan of listening to the Podcasts app while also taking the occasional photo, get ready to see a lot of the boot screen. Sometimes it doesn’t even take multitasking to trigger it: we’ve seen this phone spontaneously restart when doing something as innocuous as checking Twitter mentions.

Sadly I'm thinking of getting the Nexus 6P, the 950 seems to be a disappointment.

The recent W10 preview build seems to be the best yet, but apps still don't feel 100% reliable.

Facebook is forever showing duplicate posts, showing me notifications for stuff that only appear on the web based version etc.

The photos app is hit and miss, 90% of the time it will update recently taken photos, other times they never appear and I've to retake the photo.

Spotify is slow to resume, and the back button sometimes works and other times it just backs out to the start screen.

The updated Tune-In radio app is an absolute hot mess, runs so poorly.

hadareud

The Translator
Reading the written review the 4K video problem was with both devices, and with Michael describing the following bugs are being most prevalent that would infer it happened on both

Well it sucks that he's running into those bugs, but it doesn't look like those are problems most people are having.

We've all been using technology for a while, surely a faulty launch unit or an OS that has bugs at launch shouldn't cause widespread hysteria. Consult the internet for reference on any device, whether it's a new iphone or a Nexus.

And I'm not saying anything negative about him, his review was fair and detailed.

Well it sucks that he's running into those bugs, but it doesn't look like those are problems most people are having.

We've all been using technology for a while, surely a faulty launch unit or an OS that has bugs at launch shouldn't cause widespread hysteria. Consult the internet for reference on any device, whether it's a new iphone or a Nexus.

And I'm not saying anything negative about him, his review was fair and detailed.

There are a few bugs that are annoying but nothing that would make me want to return the device. Just like with any launch there will take some time for a few of the bugs to be worked out. [Speaking of which my wife's surface 3 died last night after owning it just for a month.]There is an obvious texting bug though. When using the keyboard swipe function for text words in my message would constantly be omitted.

Sadly I'm thinking of getting the Nexus 6P, the 950 seems to be a disappointment.

The recent W10 preview build seems to be the best yet, but apps still don't feel 100% reliable.

Facebook is forever showing duplicate posts, showing me notifications for stuff that only appear on the web based version etc.

The photos app is hit and miss, 90% of the time it will update recently taken photos, other times they never appear and I've to retake the photo.

Spotify is slow to resume, and the back button sometimes works and other times it just backs out to the start screen.

The updated Tune-In radio app is an absolute hot mess, runs so poorly.
I'm sure the 6P has it's own documented bugs but at least the updated apps will keep you satisfied.

kharma45

I fired him a tweet just to see which ones affected which device. The 4K issue is one I hadn't heard until his review but strange it'd happen to two phones.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah it's odd. I tried it out this morning to check and it worked fine. I won't use that resolution though, I prefer 60fps. Would be nice if you could have both.

kharma45

Maybe in the next generation of chipsets. I don't think any phone can do 4K60 at the minute, nor even 1440p60 that I've heard of.

hankster

... There is an obvious texting bug though. When using the keyboard swipe function for text words in my message would constantly be omitted.
I get that one my 640 with W10. It shows the correct word the preview / suggestion line then goes blank, sometimes returns a blank space. Even just now while typing this reply.

Nero3000

The IRIS scanner is a poor choice over a fingerprint reader.

Hit rate is about 1 in 3, doesnt work while moving, doesnt work off angle, doesnt work when you're eyelids are naturally narrower (i.e. looking down).

hadareud

The Translator
After using the improve recognition thing it works fine in these scenarios. Use it from angles etc.

It also works far quicker if you look at the camera rather than the screen.

There's definitely still work to be done with it, though.

hadareud

The Translator
It's not that bad.

I was disappointed with Hello at first, but it now works quite well for me. Of course, you should expect the setup process to guide you through using different angles etc. to improve recognition and the result of it not doing that is that people think it's a bit shit.

There's still issues, like it being too slow if you don't hold it close enough but at least it now works almost all the time for me (probably 9 out of 10).

It should work 10 out of 10 times and it should be quicker and it should work from further away (so essentially it should work like it does on the Surface 4) I hope that's what they are working towards once they drop the beta tag. That said, while I haven't used a phone with a fingerprint reader, I have used various fingerprint readers in the past and none of them work 10 out of 10 times, either. Maybe they do on the phones, I don't know.

Top Bottom