• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

toff74

Just taken delivery of my 950XL and its stuck in a bit of a boot loop. Its 'getting things ready' then switches off. Been doing it for around an hour.

Is there something I can do other than throwing it against a wall?

hadareud

The Translator

The camera is brilliant, but you have to say that it's true that the competition have got a lot closer.

Also i'm not getting great battery life on the 950:

Took off the charger at around 6.30AM - its now 11.15 @ 55%.

That's awful.

I took mine off the charger at 6 yesterday and it was on 66% half an our ago. Obviously I didn't use it overnight, but I did use it in the evening and this morning.

Is it still doing any account syncing or something similar?

toff74

Just taken delivery of my 950XL and its stuck in a bit of a boot loop. Its 'getting things ready' then switches off. Been doing it for around an hour.

Is there something I can do other than throwing it against a wall?

I know quoting yourself isn't great, but to update:

Just done a hard reset...

Great OOB experience so far.

Nero3000

That's awful.

I took mine off the charger at 6 yesterday and it was on 66% half an our ago. Obviously I didn't use it overnight, but I did use it in the evening and this morning.

Is it still doing any account syncing or something similar?

HAs a look at battery saver...Outlook seems to be the culprit. I've deleted an account or two, and changes the least important ones to hourly syncs. Leaving only my Work and main Personal as push accounts.

Let's see how that goes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The camera is brilliant, but you have to say that it's true that the competition have got a lot closer.

The G4 and the S6 have the best phone cameras on the planet. And now the Lumia 940/XL. LG made a massive leap in camera quality in just one year. Massive. Samsung has always had great cameras, this year they probably have the overall best camera on a phone.

Apple got complacent, they are no longer even in the top 5 phone cameras:Note 5/s6/Edge, Lumia 950/XL, LG G4/V10

ElNino

Also i'm not getting great battery life on the 950:

Took off the charger at around 6.30AM - its now 11.15 @ 55%.
My XL has settled into pretty good battery life now. According to the Battery monitoring app I installed, I've used ~3% battery per hour for last few days.

My usage has been a bit lighter, but I've still been using it for a lot of texting, Twitter, photos, email, sports/news and some YouTube. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 5:30 AM and went to bed at 11 PM without charging it at 50%. I woke up this morning at 6 AM and it still had 44%, so it used ~6% in the 7 hours I wasn't using it.

Not sure exactly what did it, but I disabled message syncing since all it did was pull down some messages from more than a year ago and I disabled message notifications from Skype Video since rarely every use Skype at this point.

hadareud

The Translator
The G4 and the S6 have the best phone cameras on the planet. And now the Lumia 940/XL. LG made a massive leap in camera quality in just one year. Massive. Samsung has always had great cameras, this year they probably have the overall best camera on a phone.

Apple got complacent, they are no longer even in the top 5 phone cameras:Note 5/s6/Edge, Lumia 950/XL, LG G4/V10

Would be interesting to see a comparison with Samsung's latest phones.

We also need to see these comparisons done more professionally. Different locations, different objects, different lighting conditions etc.

Have they removed weather alerts from the Weather app/Cortana on 8.1? I see a red circle with an exclamation mark on the live tile but can't find any way of seeing the alert info.

Edit: I forgot I had another "favourite place" set; the warning was for there!

With moderate use, my 950 has 20-30% left after a 14 hour work day. However, heavy use seems to cause exponential battery usage. If I use my phone heavily, it can easily be dead before I leave work, or at least on battery saver.

Seems like it may be fixable with more updates/firmware.

clav

Rogue apps? This is Android, it's not always that easy.

The biggest drainers for me right now are:

1. Android OS
2. Google services
3. Android system

Which one of those should I uninstall? Lol.

Post a picture.

Apps can use those services and hide it under like those names like GPS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rogue apps? This is Android, it's not always that easy.

The biggest drainers for me right now are:

1. Android OS
2. Google services
3. Android system

Which one of those should I uninstall? Lol.

Those add up to maybe 10% of my usage. Maybe I disable some stuff.. I force removed some Google stuff I don't use.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those add up to maybe 10% of my usage. Maybe I disable some stuff.. I force removed some Google stuff I don't use.

Almost exactly one third of my usage. It's definitely a rogue app or two. I honestly don't feel like spending time investigating this. I shouldn't have to care about what app I install from the play store.

kharma45

Definitely have. It would seem the 950 edges the G4 in overall IQ but it seems the G4's laser autofocus and the fact it doesn't have to sit and process images when you want to review what you just shot does sort of make up for that. This doesn't sound ideal and has been mentioned in most reviews

With Rich Capture on (auto) and working, you're looking at up to ten seconds for 16MP photos, even on these fast-chipped phones. So, in practice, you snap your new baby niece playing with a toy and tap back to see the result and then you wait, and wait and eventually realise that she had her eyes closed, so you lift the 950 again and... she's moved on. In practice, you just take half a dozen shots and hope for the best (and leave all the processing to happen as and when the phone gets round to it) or you shoot 4K video and hope that you can grab suitable 8MP frames from it.

Someone else posted in the comments that the 950 can only keep it's shutter open for 4 seconds? Seems odd they'd limit it to that when the G4 can do 30s and do this

get

Now I'm sure 4s is fine for 99% of users but for a phone range where the camera has always been one of, if not the, main selling point I thought they'd have been a bit more flexible with the shutter and how long it can stay open.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Definitely have. It would seem the 950 edges the G4 in overall IQ but it seems the G4's laser autofocus and the fact it doesn't have to sit and process images when you want to review what you just shot does sort of make up for that. This doesn't sound ideal and has been mentioned in most reviews.

10 seconds seems a bit much, I don't recall waiting that long when using the 950 to test the camera, but like you said you can always just take multiple shots and then go back and review, that's what most camera people do anyways. Also, rich capture is much, much more useful than say..... the HDR function on the G4, which is pretty useless anyway. The S6 is beast mode, though, incredible HDR and fast processing of the photos, though not always instant either. Samsung just killed it this year with the cameras. Rich capture is very powerful, though I'm sure it's just a matter of updating the phone software to speed it up.

joshschw

10 seconds seems a bit much, I don't recall waiting that long when using the 950 to test the camera, but like you said you can always just take multiple shots and then go back and review, that's what most camera people do anyways. Also, rich capture is much, much more useful than say..... the HDR function on the G4, which is pretty useless anyway. The S6 is beast mode, though, incredible HDR and fast processing of the photos, though not always instant either. Samsung just killed it this year with the cameras. Rich capture is very powerful, though I'm sure it's just a matter of updating the phone software to speed it up.

Yes, you can do as you said, it doesn't prevent continued camera operation.

It's also I'm fairly certain, just a glitch, because if you close out and just load photos app you can see the pics are actually done editing, even though in the camera itself it would still say processing.

Yes, you can do as you said, it doesn't prevent continued camera operation.

It's also I'm fairly certain, just a glitch, because if you close out and just load photos app you can see the pics are actually done editing, even though in the camera itself it would still say processing.
I imagine someone isnt updating their dependency objects correctly...

So camera roll photos are showing up as "living images" in the photos app now, which is cool, but is there a way to replay the living effect without navigating away from the photo and then back?

NeOak

So camera roll photos are showing up as "living images" in the photos app now, which is cool, but is there a way to replay the living effect without navigating away from the photo and then back?
IIRC, there has never been a way other than changing pictures

Paganmoon

So my 950 is at the post office being sorted, and just received the Surface pro 4 type cover (holy shit the touchpad feels so good on it). Today is shaping up to be a good day I think.

hadareud

The Translator
Installed the latest preview, they still haven't fixed the swipe keyboard input issue in Edge. Or the paste issue in Edge (long hold vs. paste symbol).

It's really time to get this sort of stuff fixed now.

KageMaru

Installed the latest preview, they still haven't fixed the swipe keyboard input issue in Edge. Or the paste issue in Edge (long hold vs. paste symbol).

It's really time to get this sort of stuff fixed now.

I hate the inconsistency with copy and paste, though I don't see them changing how it's done in Edge when long hold is used in browsers on other platforms.

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's stupid. If it wasn't for trial and error, you'd never know that past actually works in Edge, only that you can't do it the same way everywhere else on the phone.

If they want to keep the long hold in that's fine, but then they should also add the traditional option back in.

Paganmoon

Got the 950, set it up, got the code for the display dock... sold out on Microsoft store... (apparently they're working on getting it buyable again).

First impressions:

Fast, responsive.
Display is gorgeous, specially compared to the 640 (duh).
on-screen buttons seem fine, and work.
Windows Hello works great, fast. (as fast as on the surface pro 4 imo), though misses my eyes sometimes, will try to get a few more captures to see if it gets better.
Camera is fast, and takes good (enough) pictures with point and click (oh how I've wanted this)
Already missing double tap to wake up.

Can't decide if I should restore my 640's backup to the 950 (is that even possible), or start a new. Gonna be sort of annoying to redo my tiles hmm...

Suerte

Went to Carphone Warehouse on Oxford Street in London at lunchtime and got to handle the 950/XL, although they were dummy models. The plastic backs definitely don't feel as good as my 1020 or 830 and the buttons didn't feel as nice either.

Also tried the Nexus 6P which I'm leaning more towards until Windows 10 becomes a bit more stable and the 'Surface Phone' hopefully shows up later next year (assuming it's not completely geared towards business use).

Funnily enough, two of the sales guys at CPW were using Windows Phones and took a sharp intake of breath when I mentioned potentially moving to Android.

Got the 950, set it up, got the code for the display dock... sold out on Microsoft store... (apparently they're working on getting it buyable again).

First impressions:

Fast, responsive.
Display is gorgeous, specially compared to the 640 (duh).
on-screen buttons seem fine, and work.
Windows Hello works great, fast. (as fast as on the surface pro 4 imo), though misses my eyes sometimes, will try to get a few more captures to see if it gets better.
Camera is fast, and takes good (enough) pictures with point and click (oh how I've wanted this)
Already missing double tap to wake up.

Can't decide if I should restore my 640's backup to the 950 (is that even possible), or start a new. Gonna be sort of annoying to redo my tiles hmm...

This. This. This. I got a decent rubber case but it covers over the buttons so it makes try to differentiate between the volume buttons and power buttons even more of a pain. I just ordered a new case that has a cutout for the buttons because of it.

Are there any wireless chargers that support quick/rapid charging for the 950?

Does the phone support it?

Speaking of, is there a guide to "using" USB-C or charging, rather?

My USB-C phone charger (not a USB cable, but a direct connection to the wall) is fantastic--phone charges insanely fast. However, I don't seem to be able to use my actual USB-C cable (which also came with the phone) in all situations I used to be able to.

When I plug my USB-C into the Surface charger (charges the surface and has a USB accessory port), only one or the other works--it's like there's not enough juice for both, so sometimes my phone won't charge (although sometimes it works fine).

On a trip I just took, I was going to use my Poweradd charger to keep my phone alive between charges, but it just didn't want to charge. Plugged it into my phone, phone vibrates and shows its charging, but would stop a minute later.

Same kinda behavior with my in-car charger.

Do I need to specifically buy "USB-C compatible" branded stuff now? Car charger, portable charger, etc.?

hwalker84

Speaking of, is there a guide to "using" USB-C or charging, rather?

My USB-C phone charger (not a USB cable, but a direct connection to the wall) is fantastic--phone charges insanely fast. However, I don't seem to be able to use my actual USB-C cable (which also came with the phone) in all situations I used to be able to.

When I plug my USB-C into the Surface charger (charges the surface and has a USB accessory port), only one or the other works--it's like there's not enough juice for both, so sometimes my phone won't charge (although sometimes it works fine).

On a trip I just took, I was going to use my Poweradd charger to keep my phone alive between charges, but it just didn't want to charge. Plugged it into my phone, phone vibrates and shows its charging, but would stop a minute later.

Same kinda behavior with my in-car charger.

Do I need to specifically buy "USB-C compatible" branded stuff now? Car charger, portable charger, etc.?

Are you in the US? I noticed in Japan my USB port on my Surface Pro 3 power supply didn't work as the power was of a lower voltage than the US.

Are you in the US? I noticed in Japan my USB port on my Surface Pro 3 power supply didn't work as the power was of a lower voltage than the US.

Yeah, US. Entirely possible that voltage requirements are different...just gotta replace everything now :-| I wonder if the SP4 charger has the same problem.

n64coder

So has anyone used the Continuum feature of the new phones yet? I tried the 950/950XL at the store including the Continuum display. One thing I noticed is that the text was slightly fuzzy. Wasn't sure if that's to be expected or not. Did anyone else notice that?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Update for the 950/XL now live, carrier devices included.

Sign of things to come?

This is unbelievably great news. Now I'm leaning towards buying it. My mother's phone needed a restart, the notification shade wasn't working and neither was Hello, but updates like this immensely increase my confidence.

Top Bottom