• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Hmmm, also disabled a few things like motion and some apps I don't want running in the bg. Deleted a few old apps. Normalish usage, hello etc still on and 47% after 11ish hours. Much better than the last couple of days.

Hopefully it holds or gets better.

There's a phone update bug for the 950 XL. Some have been able to download windows insider and get the update while others can't. I'm unfortunately in the latter group. :/

Nero3000

Typing this out using continuum (wired). Its ****ing magic.

EDIT: The dock is very well made, EDGE is a little slow. Annoying you can't lock the screen on the phone. Outlook and PowerPoint are ****ing magic.

So I've said goodbye to Windows Phone and hello to Android (S6 Edge +l) and I'm not missing it. It's nice to have access to everything. And the MS apps perform better over here. Mental. Will come back for Surface phone perhaps.

NeOak

So I've said goodbye to Windows Phone and hello to Android (S6 Edge +l) and I'm not missing it. It's nice to have access to everything. And the MS apps perform better over here. Mental. Will come back for Surface phone perhaps.

I had jumped to the Blackberry Priv. Big Mistake.

Had I jumped to the Note 4, maybe.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Samsung devices are amazing when you first get them, let's talk in a few months after you've installed a bunch of apps.

I had jumped to the Blackberry Priv. Big Mistake.

Had I jumped to the Note 4, maybe.

Not with lollipop. A nightmare.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man it seems lot of people saying good bye to WP :( Now I feel alone, holding my L1520.

Tablo

I'm clinging on with my 640 lol!
Don't think I'll bite on the 950 though, we'll see if this holds me for another year I guess.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Was able to add the 950 xl to my shopping cart on the MS store website, but it crapped out saying it was out of stock when I tried to finalize the order. Feels bad.

Suerte

Placed my order for a Nexus 6P yesterday - likewise, hopefully I'll be back for Surface Phone next year. :(

I hate the inconsistency with copy and paste, though I don't see them changing how it's done in Edge when long hold is used in browsers on other platforms.

Agreed.

Another thing they should address is undo/redo as a system wide thing. I always worry not having that functionality when editing onenote notes on my phone. And it's all the more jarring, because the mobile app for desktop does have it.

kazinova

I'm so snagging a 950 when they are below $400. Whenever that is.

1520 until then.

Unless the Surface Phone rumors wind up sounding like a consumer product instead of a business phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Your poor mom is beta testing.

My mom loves windows phone more than I do, lol. You know how it is with most people, they want to stick with what they are familiar with. I was able to restore her backup and she was very happy that she doesn't really have to learn anything new. My only worry was updates, and we are off to a good start there.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think that anyone has yet answered my question as to what about a "Surface" phone will make you return to Windows Phone.

The design? If you care about design, you would hardly get a Nexus 6P.

More powerful hardware? It's not like the 950 is a slouch, it's as powerful as the competition.

x86 apps? What for, exactly? Those that want x86 apps on a portable device have a windows tablet, anyway (you know, the Surface).

An improved app ecosystem? heh

The question is, what is so unpalatable about the 950 apart from a slightly bland design? What will a Surface phone do that this phone (or a successor based on it) doesn't?

The answer is fuck all, imo. If you want to feel pumped or magical or want to use something we think you're going to love, there's another option.

WP keyboard continues to be best in class. I was typing a non mainstream UFC fighter's first name and it suggested his last name. Pretty amazing.

I don't think that anyone has yet answered my question as to what about a "Surface" phone will make you return to Windows Phone.

More powerful hardware? It's not like the 950 is a slouch, it's as powerful as the competition.

x86 apps? What for, exactly? Those that want x86 apps on a portable device have a windows tablet, anyway (you know, the Surface).

The question is, what is so unpalatable about the 950 apart from a slightly bland design? What will a Surface phone do that this phone (or a successor based on it) doesn't?

The answer is fuck all, imo. If you want to feel pumped or magical or want to use something we think you're going to love, there's another option.
The Surface represents a true in-house Microsoft product. Not a Nokia Lumia phone rebranded as a Microsoft product.

A Surface Phone, in theory, would be a product with Microsoft's full commitment. No blaming Nokia or anyone else.

NeOak

The Surface represents a true in-house Microsoft product. Not a Nokia Lumia phone rebranded as a Microsoft product.

A Surface Phone, in theory, would be a product with Microsoft's full commitment. No blaming Nokia or anyone else.
*Surface RT grumbles*

hadareud

The Translator

What does that mean in reality?

I would suggest, nothing at all.

hwalker84

Design and the hope that by the time the phone launches WM10 will be in a better state.

MCD

Surface should copy this amazing ass phone:

VzX7TWw.jpg

According to Windows Central, they were able to bypass carrier process for 10586.29 because the radio stack is essentially "black boxed" in Win10 Mobile, so OS updates do not touch anything in the radio stack. Given that, they should be able to continue to do regular OS updates bypassing carriers.

On a personal device note, my 1520 unfortunately still cannot update Win 10 builds. I was never able to update builds after MSFT said the updating issues that required rollback was fixed, and I still cannot. Getting the same update error trying to install 15086.29 (from 15086.11). Is this is known issue with 1520's, specifically I have the unlocked 1520.3?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
According to Windows Central, they were able to bypass carrier process for 10586.29 because the radio stack is essentially "black boxed" in Win10 Mobile, so OS updates do not touch anything in the radio stack. Given that, they should be able to continue to do regular OS updates bypassing carriers.

On a personal device note, my 1520 unfortunately still cannot update Win 10 builds. I was never able to update builds after MSFT said the updating issues that required rollback was fixed, and I still cannot. Getting the same update error trying to install 15086.29 (from 15086.11). Is this is known issue with 1520's, specifically I have the unlocked 1520.3?

That's pretty cool.

NeOak

I have a 1520.2 and can update just fine, so it is weird you can't.

Top Bottom