• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

From Win Central: http://www.windowscentral.com/groove-app-windows-10-mobile-brings-gets-massive-update

Groove 3.6.1573.0

Songs and albums in your collection now sort by the date you've added them by default. You can still switch to sorting alphabetically (or by artist in the case of albums).
You can now swipe from the left to bring up the hamburger menu. It makes it easier to use the app with a single hand!
Press-hold to re-order tracks within a playlist.
Previously only plays from your collection would appear in Recent Plays - now it also includes things you've played directly from Explore.[Groove Music Pass Required]
We now show download progress in the title bar, and also provide an entry point to the download manager from within the left nav menu. This aligns with what the Movies & TV app includes.
Tell Cortana to 'Play Electronic' and she will shuffle all your electronic music for you. [where Cortana is supported]
In the event that, during an upgrade, we need to rebuild the database (this should be very infrequent), we'll show a little explanatory dialog explaining what's happening.
If we detected songs which are duplicated between OneDrive and Music Pass we pop a notification asking if you'd like us to automatically remove them.
We reverted the recent change to the font size of the song title in Now Playing. It's smaller now.

Continuum support is also updated with the following changes:

We've updated the layout of the artist gallery to have proper spacing, alignment and remove the color-matched square backgrounds.
We've added the Explore modules to the Artist Details page at larger resolutions. [Groove Music Pass Required]
We've updated the layout of Explore at higher resolutions to look correct, and also respond better to scroll wheel. The modules also have a flipper control to allow scrolling within the page. [Groove Music Pass Required]
Updates to the Search results page layouts to look good at higher resolutions.
Updates to the layout of the Add to menu at higher resolutions.
Updates to the layout of the Recent Plays gallery at higher resolutions.

I don't think that anyone has yet answered my question as to what about a "Surface" phone will make you return to Windows Phone.

The design? If you care about design, you would hardly get a Nexus 6P.

More powerful hardware? It's not like the 950 is a slouch, it's as powerful as the competition.

x86 apps? What for, exactly? Those that want x86 apps on a portable device have a windows tablet, anyway (you know, the Surface).

An improved app ecosystem? heh

The question is, what is so unpalatable about the 950 apart from a slightly bland design? What will a Surface phone do that this phone (or a successor based on it) doesn't?

The answer is fuck all, imo. If you want to feel pumped or magical or want to use something we think you're going to love, there's another option.

Yeah, I mostly agree. I think x86 apps are a non-starter, and design just isn't enough on its own.

The only thing MS can do is what they did with Surface - try and offer a unique category that no-one else is really doing.

Paul Thurott suggests that this might be something crazy like a 7" phone that docks, but I think that's far fetched.

Basically, though, I think MS knows that they've ceded the mobile hardware market, but are going through the motions for the press, shareholders, and for W10 on other devices.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone here use Cortana on Android? Wondering how close it is to the experience on WP. I know it'll never be close on IOS, but theoretically it can be close on Android, right?

I've been using it since the closed beta, its come a long way....but it's just not the same feel as the WP version. So the good stuff: it can replace Google Now, it syncs with win10, has reminders, alarms, can do the contextual gps reminders, voice search and response, notebook, etc

The bad: no widget support yet, so not as useful as the live tile WP version, no Android wear support, feels slow, some bugs still where searches sometimes don't execute, and it doesn't pull in my exchange calendar, so it's useless to keep track of my day. It also doesn't play nice with all the other apps, although it did hand off to useful apps like Google maps if you ask for driving directions, which is superior to the WP options.

Treo360

According to Windows Central, they were able to bypass carrier process for 10586.29 because the radio stack is essentially "black boxed" in Win10 Mobile, so OS updates do not touch anything in the radio stack. Given that, they should be able to continue to do regular OS updates bypassing carriers.

On a personal device note, my 1520 unfortunately still cannot update Win 10 builds. I was never able to update builds after MSFT said the updating issues that required rollback was fixed, and I still cannot. Getting the same update error trying to install 15086.29 (from 15086.11). Is this is known issue with 1520's, specifically I have the unlocked 1520.3?

I have the 1520.3 and did the rollback to get one build a while back and then waiting when there was another (I think) and I haven't had any issues updating at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got a Surface 3 for work, got pretty stoked about it, set it up, started thinking about pairing it up with a 950. Then while playing music, thing basically died on me. Just a backlight, won't boot. Tried everything. I might try to download a recovery image tomorrow or I might just turn it in. Pretty embarrassing thing, I was showing it off to my wife right before it died.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Got a Surface 3 for work, got pretty stoked about it, set it up, started thinking about pairing it up with a 950. Then while playing music, thing basically died on me. Just a backlight, won't boot. Tried everything. I might try to download a recovery image tomorrow or I might just turn it in. Pretty embarrassing thing, I was showing it off to my wife right before it died.

lol wow. Get it replaced?

hwalker84

Tried holding volume up and power at the same time?

It will be even more integrate if you are running Cyanogen. I am on One Plus and can't wait to see how far they can push the integration.

I got LG Nexus 5X for my son instead of Windows Phone. For 299 it is the best bargain phone, even better deal than One Plus X. Only two strikes - the lack of wireless charging case and SD card. I set it up and play with it and even I am tempted to get one. The phone is fast with stock Android, nice camera (which he won't use) and it has fingerprint plus quick charging USB-c. I am still baffle that MS launch 950 with $549 price point.

ElNino

So you pay $100 for the annual pass and get $50 windows store credit.

Not as good as previous year $30 deal.
I was thinking of getting a discounted sub to add to my existing "free" one (thanks Virgin Mobile), but since my current one doesn't expire until mid-2017 I think I'll wait and see if I can get a better deal before then.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
wow whatever was in the last update they released is really jacking with my phone.

My poor phone has been on the charger all night and all day this morning and its at 78% and is burning up.

So, Facebook was updated to the 10.1 version that the beta version has been on. Contact sync is broken in that version, so Facebook sync in people was gone as the version of the app was updated overnight. Once it's fixed, you have to redo your manual merges again.

I get that the app "plug-in" model for this is the sustainable way to do it, but it's very frustrating when the app doesn't work and kills what you had.

NeOak

So, Facebook was updated to the 10.1 version that the beta version has been on. Contact sync is broken in that version, so Facebook sync in people was gone as the version of the app was updated overnight. Once it's fixed, you have to redo your manual merges again.

I get that the app "plug-in" model for this is the sustainable way to do it, but it's very frustrating when the app doesn't work and kills what you had.

That's better than the Android version's Contact sync.

As in, it was removed.

ElNino

Yeah, I woke up this morning and the Facebook tile was missing from my start screen as was my Contact sync. I didn't need to manually merge the contacts again though, but I did need to disable and then re-enable contact sync in the Facebook app. That got the Facebook contact info back.

I'm having a pretty major issue where I'm unable to download any updates at all. None of the apps that need updating are making any progress.. Is this a common issue for 950?

ElNino

So who's buying Groove?
Not buying Groove today, but the Canadian deal today is a $25 gift card with the purchase of a $50 one. That deal I got. The catch is that the $25 card only has 90 days to be used after it is redeemed, so I won't be redeeming the $50 one until my balance has been cleared.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find stuff to buy, particularly if I let me son use it for Minecraft stuff.

Today's daily deal (in the US) is a $50 dollar gift card if you buy a years subscription to Groove.

Uber's new universal app is slick. Live tile telling me how far an Uber is from me at all times.
Yeah, very cool. I hear (haven't actually used an uber since the update yet) that they added the ability to add destination in the app, which had been a glaring omission in the WP version to date (and left a fair share of uber drivers confused).

Uber update came out this week, I just updated this morning. I did have to restart twice to get the app to start for the first time.

In the previous app, you'd have to get a fare quote to enter a destination.

Thanks--bought. Now, what to use the $50 on...SP4 keyboard is looking nice right now...

Uber update came out this week, I just updated this morning. I did have to restart twice to get the app to start for the first time.

In the previous app, you'd have to get a fare quote to enter a destination.

Just realized mine was updated--W10 doesn't seem to notify me when it updates apps. Looks great and just in time for my work's holiday party tonight :)

dLMN8R

You still can't use digital gift cards on retail purchases. You can use the gift card on Xbox games, Windows Store games/apps/movies/music, and any other digital properties. But you can't use it to buy a Type Cover 4 or any other physical things from the retail stores.

Thanks--bought. Now, what to use the $50 on...SP4 keyboard is looking nice right now...

Just realized mine was updated--W10 doesn't seem to notify me when it updates apps. Looks great and just in time for my work's holiday party tonight :)
Yeah, store settings are set to update automatically but it's broken. You have to manually update apps via app store.

You still can't use digital gift cards on retail purchases. You can use the gift card on Xbox games, Windows Store games/apps/movies/music, and any other digital properties. But you can't use it to buy a Type Cover 4 or any other physical things from the retail stores.

Can't use it on the MS online store?

EDIT: Huh, guess you can't. No problem, I'm sure I'll find something to spend it on :D

Kinda related, but Bing Rewards is still something I love. Spent ~1000 points on a $10 gift card (to myself) which I could use on X1 games. Makes some purchases a lot more justifiable, haha (in my case, the R6 Siege Season Pass).

dLMN8R

Can't use it on the MS online store?

EDIT: Huh, guess you can't. No problem, I'm sure I'll find something to spend it on :D

Kinda related, but Bing Rewards is still something I love. Spent ~1000 points on a $10 gift card (to myself) which I could use on X1 games. Makes some purchases a lot more justifiable, haha (in my case, the R6 Siege Season Pass).

No.

It's like an iTunes gift card vs. Apple Store gift card. One can only be use on digital products, the other can only be used on physical products.

Uber live tile is creeping me out. Uber black 2 mins away, uber X 6 mins away, etc etc. They everywhere, they know where I am, and they wanna pick me up and take me somewhere.

hwalker84

FFFFFFFF. Bought Groove Music pass in Chrome (Logged in as my hotmail account that's tied to everything). For some reason I've been having issues opening Microsoft links in Chrome as of late. Opened the link in IE and redeemed both codes. Then I realized I just redeemed under my Outlook account...... Sigh!

Top Bottom