• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

FFFFFFFF. Bought Groove Music pass in Chrome (Logged in as my hotmail account that's tied to everything). For some reason I've been having issues opening Microsoft links in Chrome as of late. Opened the link in IE and redeemed both codes. Then I realized I just redeemed under my Outlook account...... Sigh!
Maybe I'm not understanding something in this scenario, but can't you merge Hotmail and Outlook accounts into one Microsoft account?

I know my old Hotmail account is now just an alias on my to my Outlook email.

FFFFFFFF. Bought Groove Music pass in Chrome (Logged in as my hotmail account that's tied to everything). For some reason I've been having issues opening Microsoft links in Chrome as of late. Opened the link in IE and redeemed both codes. Then I realized I just redeemed under my Outlook account...... Sigh!

Wait, you have different Outlook and Hotmail accounts? o_O

It's not a single Microsoft account for you?

hwalker84

Maybe I'm not understanding something in this scenario, but can't you merge Hotmail and Outlook accounts into one Microsoft account?

I know my old Hotmail account is now just an alias on my to my Outlook email.

Wait, you have different Outlook and Hotmail accounts? o_O

It's not a single Microsoft account for you?

I have a blahasdfasav@hotmail.com and a blahasdfsav@outlook.com

Completely separate accounts owned by me. I tried creating the @outlook.com as an alias to the hotmail one but for what/how I use my email it didn't work well.

One browser is logged in to my Hotmail and one browser is logged into my separate outlook account. Too much detail to go into why I have two new accounts.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hold the presses, stop everything!!!!

Cortana texting works in Android through Windows 10?!?!?!?! Why did nobody tell me this? I got a call from my wife, but I had to decline because I was in a conference call, then on my desktop Cortana popped up and asked me if I would like to text my wife back that I would call her soon. I figured it was some error but I clicked send on the desktop...... And the text went through my LG G4!!

I then typed "text my wife I'm in a meeting" on the desktop Cortana, hit send, and the text went through again. I thought this was a windows phone only feature? Wtf, this is a game changer.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hold the presses, stop everything!!!!

Cortana texting works in Android through Windows 10?!?!?!?! Why did nobody tell me this? I got a call from my wife, but I had to decline because I was in a conference call, then on my desktop Cortana popped up and asked me if I would like to text my wife back that I would call her soon. I figured it was some error but I clicked send on the desktop...... And the text went through my LG G4!!

I then typed "text my wife I'm in a meeting" on the desktop Cortana, hit send, and the text went through again. I thought this was a windows phone only feature? Wtf, this is a game changer.

That's great! Come on MS, bring Cortana to Canada!!!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just waiting for sms sync in the messaging app from mobile to desktop over here. Skeleton.jpg

Well, so that's not possible on Android either. I can't go on desktop and see messages, I can't receive messages on PC either. I can only send text messages and see missed call notifications. But those aren't stored either AFAIK, so I have to be in front of the pc when the call is missed.

Well, so that's not possible on Android either. I can't go on desktop and see messages, I can't receive messages on PC either. I can only send text messages and see missed call notifications. But those aren't stored either AFAIK, so I have to be in front of the pc when the call is missed.

Yeah same as Windows Phone. Considering they're running the same universal app...you would hope that SMS sync and messaging from the desktop is in the pipeline.

Unclear if that's possible with Android, and almost surely not with iOS.

Tablo

Finally got down to the MS store in Century City to check out the new phones.
They do not feel cheap, they're comfortable to hold, and work fine.
the 950 XL felt snappier opening camera app and in general, not sure if that's normal.
did not like the 950 XL buttons, feel too recessed, and the layout is annoying.

Bought a 950 with MS complete for mom since their return is end of January for holidays

Yeah it's no design masterpiece like my 920 was, but it doesn't feel cheap, and you have access to your battery and expandable storage. WIN WIN. Phone is thin and lightweight too

Goddam sales dude thought only the 950 XL worked with Continuum, had to correct him in front of customer lol. dude also didn't know how about contacts/message backup app an old geek was asking about for his 920. That old dude was so sweet tho he was super into the tech!! hope he gets a 950 but he said he might hold off for Surface Phone <3 so adorable

Surprisingly lots of traffic, I wish the sales reps knew half as much as I did tho, the bullshit being spouted was cringeworthy >_>

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got down to the MS store in Century City to check out the new phones.
They do not feel cheap, they're comfortable to hold, and work fine.
the 950 XL felt snappier opening camera app and in general, not sure if that's normal.
did not like the 950 XL buttons, feel too recessed, and the layout is annoying.

Bought a 950 with MS complete for mom since their return is end of January for holidays

Yeah it's no design masterpiece like my 920 was, but it doesn't feel cheap, and you have access to your battery and expandable storage. WIN WIN. Phone is thin and lightweight too

Goddam sales dude thought only the 950 XL worked with Continuum, had to correct him in front of customer lol. dude also didn't know how about contacts/message backup app an old geek was asking about for his 920. That old dude was so sweet tho he was super into the tech!! hope he gets a 950 but he said he might hold off for Surface Phone <3 so adorable

Surprisingly lots of traffic, I wish the sales reps knew half as much as I did tho, the bullshit being spouted was cringeworthy >_>

Yup, rarely feel like the sales guys are more knowledgeable than me.

You still can't use digital gift cards on retail purchases. You can use the gift card on Xbox games, Windows Store games/apps/movies/music, and any other digital properties. But you can't use it to buy a Type Cover 4 or any other physical things from the retail stores.
You can use it for online store, I got $10.00 digital gift card and I bought a physical copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider with it. I got the digital gift card from Black Friday Xbox game sales.

toff74

So, I'm having problems porting my number to Vodafone as in they've taken the number from EE and it's not appeared on the new sim yet.. So rubbish!

Anyhows, that's not the reason for the post.

I called Vodafone technical support to ask about the number porting and was given 3 options. Press 1 if you are an iPhone user, 2 for android and 3 for windows phone. I obviously pressed 3 and was greeted with

'I'm sorry we have an emergency and we can't answer you call right now'

For shits and giggles I thought I'd try calling again only pressing 1.. Within 10 seconds I was chatting to technical support. Could Vodafone be more blatant with their disregard for windows phones?

Vestal

Well my 950 battery life has gone from absolute shit to exceptional with the latest update.

At 97% after being disconnected from power for 2hrs and some light use( 3 calls of 20min total light browse and few texts).

MJPIA

Are there any apps that work with home automation ge wink hubs?
There is a aptly named wink controller app in the store but trying to download it comes up with a error code 80073cf1.
The other home automation apps I've found don't seem to work with the wink hub.

I love my 1020 with its amazing camera and OneDrive syncing but digging out my kindle hdx to control all my connected stuff since that's the only Android device I got is annoying.

Well my 950 battery life has gone from absolute shit to exceptional with the latest update.

At 97% after being disconnected from power for 2hrs and some light use( 3 calls of 20min total light browse and few texts).

Battery life was one of the main fixes apparently, so that's encouraging.

My 950 is refusing to download the update :( Doing a hard reset now.

Paganmoon

My 950 is refusing to download the update :( Doing a hard reset now.

Not getting an update here either. Only US or something?

Follow up impressions after having the phone for almost a week now:
* Windows Hello is hit or miss, more often than not I have to use pin-code (works so much better on the Surface Pro 4, which in turn has a few issues of its own, like the screen failing to wake up after sleep mode).
* Edge bugs out pretty often, having to shut it down completely and restart it for it to render pages correctly.
* The phone has rebooted on its own twice this past week.
* A few apps crash on startup (For instance Peregrine), and have to be opened twice to get working.
* The camera is outstanding for point and click. Having to wait for the pictures to be processed when switching to view them is annoying as fuck though.
* absolutely love being able to reply to texts straight from the notification.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
My GF using L830. I dont think waiting for the official update is a good idea. I feel like its going to take forever. Is it good idea to enroll her in the preview program and install the latest preview? How has it been on L830?

My GF using L830. I dont think waiting for the official update is a good idea. I feel like its going to take forever. Is it good idea to enroll her in the preview program and install the latest preview? How has it been on L830?
Has it's little quirks but I've been on the latest build for 2 weeks now on my 830 and can recommend it as a daily driver.

NeOak

Enroll it on the Slow Ring.

hadareud

The Translator
On screen buttons -> capacitive buttons.

I forget that they aren't "real" until I remember that I haven't accidentally launched cortana or pressed one of the other buttons in a while.

I'm also really starting to appreciate living images.

Not getting an update here either. Only US or something?

Follow up impressions after having the phone for almost a week now:
* Windows Hello is hit or miss, more often than not I have to use pin-code (works so much better on the Surface Pro 4, which in turn has a few issues of its own, like the screen failing to wake up after sleep mode).
* Edge bugs out pretty often, having to shut it down completely and restart it for it to render pages correctly.
* The phone has rebooted on its own twice this past week.
* A few apps crash on startup (For instance Peregrine), and have to be opened twice to get working.
* The camera is outstanding for point and click. Having to wait for the pictures to be processed when switching to view them is annoying as fuck though.
* absolutely love being able to reply to texts straight from the notification.

No idea. My phone kept saying it was downloading the update, but never moved from 0%, even leaving it "downloading" overnight. Reboot, soft reset--no change.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
How do I install Microsoft Phone app on my Windows 10 PC?

for life of me, I can not find this thing on the internet. This is driving me nuts.

The app is call Microsoft Phone, can't find it anywhere. I saw bunch of article on WPcentral about new update and call recording coming etc. but when was this even announced?

This is to make phone calls, text from PC right?

Has it's little quirks but I've been on the latest build for 2 weeks now on my 830 and can recommend it as a daily driver.

Enroll it on the Slow Ring.

cool, installed on her phone. So far so good.

hwalker84

How do I install Microsoft Phone app on my Windows 10 PC?

for life of me, I can not find this thing on the internet. This is driving me nuts.

The app is call Microsoft Phone, can't find it anywhere. I saw bunch of article on WPcentral about new update and call recording coming etc. but when was this even announced?

This is to make phone calls, text from PC right?

cool, installed on her phone. So far so good.
Its called phone and is installed automatically under threshold 1.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrdtbwp

Damm just got a note 4 for work and this thing makes my 820 feel archaic

Don't know if it's the resolution, screen size or just better performance

Changed my next phone choice to 950xl if that doesn't impress then I may give up and just go android

Sad sad world

oh shit, looks like my Windows isn't uptodate. Which is weird, since I am in the insider program. I just unenrolled myself. And searched for update, and there is a new Windows update. Hopefully this is TH1.

but looking at that app review, does not look promising lol

If you hit start and type 'winver', what build does it say you're on?

kharma45

Damm just got a note 4 for work and this thing makes my 820 feel archaic

Don't know if it's the resolution, screen size or just better performance

Changed my next phone choice to 950xl if that doesn't impress then I may give up and just go android

Sad sad world

Likely all of the above

Hmm so apparently I didn't try hard enough (or at all) to repair my 1520 after I cracked the screen like 9 months ago. Now I just happened to ask at a mall kiosk and the place said they could fix it for $120. Is it worth doing? Are replacement screens any good? Any issues with touch sensitivity? Also lol the $120 to fix the 1520 is still way more than I spent on the 635 and 640 to replace it.

hadareud

The Translator
My gf received her free display dock.

edit: I wonder if we'll ever use it apart from the initial setup, even if it's a nice idea.

hwalker84

oh shit, looks like my Windows isn't uptodate. Which is weird, since I am in the insider program. I just unenrolled myself. And searched for update, and there is a new Windows update. Hopefully this is TH1.

but looking at that app review, does not look promising lol
I have Enterprise on my home PC and I had to download the .iso from Microsoft to get to Threashold 1 as it wouldn't come down via Windows update.

Paganmoon

I have Enterprise on my home PC and I had to download the .iso from Microsoft to get to Threashold 1 as it wouldn't come down via Windows update.

Enterprise versions won't receive 1511 from windows update until sometime next month iirc. Unless you do as you did, and download it via VLSC.

ElNino

My gf received her free display dock.

edit: I wonder if we'll ever use it apart from the initial setup, even if it's a nice idea.
Yeah, I'm not sure how (or if) I'll use it either.

I had rented a few movies from the MS store for 0.10 during their 10 Days of Windows 10 sale and I thought that would be a good chance to use the dock. However, it seems the Movies and TV app won't play any of my rented movies over Continuum (over the dock or through the Xbox). I could play local recorded videos, but no "protected rights" videos would work.

Considering it is really just a way to view on an external monitor, I was pretty disappointed that it wouldn't work.

JaggedSac

Yeah, I'm not sure how (or if) I'll use it either.

I had rented a few movies from the MS store for 0.10 during their 10 Days of Windows 10 sale and I thought that would be a good chance to use the dock. However, it seems the Movies and TV app won't play any of my rented movies over Continuum (over the dock or through the Xbox). I could play local recorded videos, but no "protected rights" videos would work.

Considering it is really just a way to view on an external monitor, I was pretty disappointed that it wouldn't work.

Did you select to stream or download? And if you downloaded, were you trying to use the device that did the initial downloading?

ElNino

Did you select to stream or download? And if you downloaded, were you trying to use the device that did the initial downloading?
I selected Stream, as I bought it on the Surface Book and was hoping to play on the Xbox One. However, it seems you can't play purchased movies on the Xbox if your account is not in the same region. My Surface and phone are both in US region (for Cortana) and I can play the videos fine on both, but using Continuum on the phone makes them unplayable.

My MS account region is Canada, and have several Canadian payment options.
I also have my PayPal and US address added that allows me to purchase from the US stores.
Movies/apps/games are fully usable on my PC and Phone using this account.
On the Xbox, I can't see any of my US movie purchases.

Edit: I wonder if downloading to the phone would have worked over Continuum? Maybe I'll try again sometime if they have a sale.

JaggedSac

I selected Stream, as I bought it on the Surface Book and was hoping to play on the Xbox One. However, it seems you can't play purchased movies on the Xbox if your account is not in the same region. My Surface and phone are both in US region (for Cortana) and I can play the videos fine on both, but using Continuum on the phone makes them unplayable.

My MS account region is Canada, and have several Canadian payment options.
I also have my PayPal and US address added that allows me to purchase from the US stores.
Movies/apps/games are fully usable on my PC and Phone using this account.
On the Xbox, I can't see any of my US movie purchases.

Edit: I wonder if downloading to the phone would have worked over Continuum? Maybe I'll try again sometime if they have a sale.

What a pain. Region based digital rights are so weird.

ElNino

What a pain. Region based digital rights are so weird.
It really is. The strangest thing is that after originally buying (renting) the movies on the PC, I changed my Xbox One region to US and rebooted the console. After reboot, I was able to see my movies in the Movies and TV app on the Xbox so I thought everything would be fine once I decided to watch the videos with my kids (Jurassic World was one).

However, the next time I tried to watch the movies, changing my Xbox One region no longer worked and subsequent searches suggested that it shouldn't have ever worked.

Top Bottom