• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hankster

are mozo the only ones who can make replacement backs?
shopping

Actually I think this is a case now that I look closer.... Lots of options: https://www.google.com/search?q=lum...40&sa=N#tbm=shop&q=lumia+950+back+cover&spd=0

KageMaru

I've been using it since the closed beta, its come a long way....but it's just not the same feel as the WP version. So the good stuff: it can replace Google Now, it syncs with win10, has reminders, alarms, can do the contextual gps reminders, voice search and response, notebook, etc

The bad: no widget support yet, so not as useful as the live tile WP version, no Android wear support, feels slow, some bugs still where searches sometimes don't execute, and it doesn't pull in my exchange calendar, so it's useless to keep track of my day. It also doesn't play nice with all the other apps, although it did hand off to useful apps like Google maps if you ask for driving directions, which is superior to the WP options.

Thanks the impressions. Guess I'll have manage expectations a bit. The lack of android wear doesn't bother but it does sound less optimized.

Loving my 950 XL so far. It has minor quirks but I'll take it any day over the Ativ S Neo I had with Sprint.

How's the battery life? It's one of the main reasons I want to move to a phablet some time early next year.

n64coder

IRis unlock is now a 9/10 success rate - which is good enough for me.

That's pretty good. I find the Apple TouchID is not that great for me on my iPad Air 2. I have a success rate of somewhere around 70%. A bunch of times, I have to retry because the first attempt didn't take. Maybe I need to use a different finger (thumb?) instead of my index finger?

Thanks the impressions. Guess I'll have manage expectations a bit. The lack of android wear doesn't bother but it does sound less optimized.

How's the battery life? It's one of the main reasons I want to move to a phablet some time early next year.

The first couple of days were rough. Not sure why. Since then it's been great. That seems to be the general consensus.

ElNino

The first couple of days were rough. Not sure why. Since then it's been great. That seems to be the general consensus.
That's been pretty much my experience as well, but it does still have the occasional day where it drains much faster. It's pretty easy to get a full days use with ~30% left, but I don't often get multiple days. Generally speaking, I do quite like the phone even with some of the quirks/bugs as most of them are software related.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, if I were to walk in to an at&t store and bought a 950....I wouldn't get the update? I ask because I feel it made my mom's phone stable and I wouldn't want to wait indefinitely for such a critical update.

NeOak

So, if I were to walk in to an at&t store and bought a 950....I wouldn't get the update? I ask because I feel it made my mom's phone stable and I wouldn't want to wait indefinitely for such a critical update.
You should, but I don't have access to the 950 atm to check.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes you would. They are putting it back live today according to MJ Foley.

Btw, there's been quite a few universal app releases in the last few days. Quite large ones, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Netflix updated today with a universal app, but only the desktop version so far, coming soon on the mobile version. Fb messenger and Instagram are also coming soon.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh hey, my 950 XL is on the mail.

Maybe my 920 will get a proper replacement after all. This Moto G 2015 kinds sucks ass.

Pray I don't have to replace it with a BlackBerry within the next two months.

hadareud

The Translator
Netflix, NBC, Pandora, Uber, WSJ, Trip Advisor, Guardian, USA Today, Twitter (though not yet released for mobile), AccuWeather, Garmin, Audible etc in the last few days and weeks.

Does that mean Windows Phone is back?

Certainly does Brot.

It's only a question of time before WP is overtaking both Android and iOS. In fact, I'd like Microsoft to split WP into a separate business so I can buy some shares.

Netflix, NBC, Pandora, Uber, WSJ, Trip Advisor, Guardian, USA Today, Twitter (though not yet released for mobile), AccuWeather, Garmin, Audible etc in the last few days and weeks.

Certainly does Brot.

It's only a question of time before WP is overtaking both Android and iOS. In fact, I'd like Microsoft to split WP into a separate business so I can buy some shares.

You can't call it a comeback, when the Michellin Traveler app is not on that list.

Most of these apps were already available on WP it seems. So nothing much changing in that regard.

The most important thing is for those developers to keep updating the app alongside the iOS and Android incarnations. This is something Twitter has done with their new universal app since they launched it, so I hope they keep the pace.

this_guy

The most important thing is for those developers to keep updating the app alongside the iOS and Android incarnations. This is something Twitter has done with their new universal app since they launched it, so I hope they keep the pace.

That, and important apps like banking apps (including smaller regional banks and credit unions) and Snapchat.

Klocker

That, and important apps like banking apps (including smaller regional banks and credit unions) and Snapchat.
Yes, it is ridiculous at this point in time that I need to keep an Android phone in my desk just so I can deposit checks through my Bank of America account.

n64coder

Yes, it is ridiculous at this point in time that I need to keep an Android phone in my desk just so I can deposit checks through my Bank of America account.

That's funny. I do have an iPad so I can use that but I'm fortunate that I have an ATM on my way to work that I'll use. I don't get that many checks so this isn't killing me on the phone. I do hate it when people don't have PayPal and want to write me a check.

If my 74 year old Mom can do PayPal, why can't you?

ElNino

Is the 950 dirt cheap off contract yet?

No?

I'll check back in a month...
Are we expecting it will be? Last I checked, the 830 was still $400 (the same price it was at launch), so unless someone other than MS picks them up I don't see them being dirt cheap anytime soon.

Unless you are looking at used sales I guess.

ElNino

That's funny. I do have an iPad so I can use that but I'm fortunate that I have an ATM on my way to work that I'll use. I don't get that many checks so this isn't killing me on the phone. I do hate it when people don't have PayPal and want to write me a check.

Yeah, I don't get very many cheques these days (maybe five a year), so depositing them at the ATM at work or using my wife's iPad isn't the end of the world.

I didn't know people used PayPal to transfer money though, here everyone uses EMT (Email Money Transfer) if they don't want to use cash or a cheque.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Klocker

Business account. Some of my corporate clients still prefer checks and I work from home so stopping at ATM is often inconvenient...

yes I know that check deposits are waning but still my point stands. the check deposit feature on Android BofA app is miles ahead of the piece of crap they had on windows phone before they abandoned the app.... it's bullshit

Facebook is still completely broken on W10.

Phantom notifications, multiple refreshes showing different content, posts not showing (but appearing online), likes not working sometimes, post has three comments but won't show them etc...

Absolutely shit.

Paganmoon

Facebook is still completely broken on W10.

Phantom notifications, multiple refreshes showing different content, posts not showing (but appearing online), likes not working sometimes, post has three comments but won't show them etc...

Absolutely shit.

isn't multiple refresh showing different content a "feature" of Facebook? And posts having comments and not showing is something I notice on desktop as well. But the rest, yeah, not good.

Edit: actually my biggest issue with the app was that it showed posts by people I had "unfollowed" on desktop. annoying as fuck. Has that been sorted out?

hadareud

The Translator
None of these things are Windows exclusive afaik.

Phantom notifications happen on all platforms, it's Facebook that is shite.

What is exclusive is how slow the app is.

Paganmoon

Just received my display dock, to my surprise, it has a fullsize displayport. Which makes me question why in the hell the Surface pro 4 dock has mini-displayport...

KageMaru

You guys see this camera review video? Kind of expected better to be honest. Didn't realize how much post processing was being done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IOo3X5cMQ

That's been pretty much my experience as well, but it does still have the occasional day where it drains much faster. It's pretty easy to get a full days use with ~30% left, but I don't often get multiple days. Generally speaking, I do quite like the phone even with some of the quirks/bugs as most of them are software related.

Cool thanks guys. Getting sick of my Icon needing a charge by 6-7 under moderate use.

hadareud

The Translator
That's a great video, really detailed and finally someone that knows what they're talking about.

I don't think it's disappointing, he even admits that he's complaining at a very high level. There's some downsides, but mostly it's very positive.

That it's not clearly streets ahead of the competition is testament to the competition rather than a failure of MS imo.

JaggedSac

You guys see this camera review video? Kind of expected better to be honest. Didn't realize how much post processing was being done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IOo3X5cMQ

Wow, looks like they took to heart that people in general want a punchier photo when in auto mode.

Glad Rich Capture isn't doing bracketed shots at all times. Because, lets be honest, HDR is needed only in certain circumstances.

If I took videos, that wobble would piss me off to no end.

hadareud

The Translator
In my opinion, the colours aren't too punchy or over the top very often. It does happen, but it can do brown and dreary well too in automatic mode, for instance:

ZW5d5L9.jpg

(this is incredibly realistic to what the scene looked like that morning)

The same is true for low light:

SjSNCmD.jpg

Or the sky:

FGCxSjH.jpg

All of these are really great representations of the lighting and the colours at the time.

The post processing isn't perfect in every instance and sometimes it does take too long. He's also right to point out the focusing problems.

I don't take many videos myself, but the optical image stabilisation wobble is highly annoying.

One complaint (that he didn't make, but that I read elsewhere) about the post processing taking too long and you therefore potentially missing good moments while you're checking whether people had their eyes open is bollocks by the way - first of all you don't have to wait for the processing to be finished to check, secondly the rich capture does an amazing job in capturing the right moment (eyes open etc.). I tried a few times to get pictures of my gf blinking, for instance, but it's almost impossible to do unless the eyes are closed for more than a second.

joshschw

The 950xx series cameras are best in class by far.

There's not really any debate on the issue, no matter what youtube videos say.

Anyone else using the new Pandora desktop app? Evey few hours it just opens in background, no active window, and starts playing, LOL. Anyone else?

Top Bottom