• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I'd go for 635 simply because the CPU is significantly better. People tell me the 520 is pretty slow nowadays
The screen on 635 is also very nice for a budget phone. Microsoft Store is doing a free phone cover for 635. if you have a Microsoft or At&t stores you should go check it out.

Fjolle

Well, yes. Mostly because it doesn't have a hideous color gradient. I'm not happy about the search bar or Google's icons, but the iOS icons really look like shit. And at least I have the option to use a different launcher or icon set on Android.

e:

Here's my home screen.

KJaemhq.png

Could be worse!

Only 4 messaging apps?

hadareud

The Translator
It's nice to see that there's now a few 3rd party apps that back up your settings.

Downloaded the fantasy football app last week and I'm still logged in after flashing my phone.

Good stuff, hope the rest follow (games etc.).

edit: Nexgen reader does too, btw

I was playing it safe with "most". :) I only read complaints about the occasional game needing 1GB. I have no idea how accurate this report from a year ago is, but it claims that 99.76% of the apps in the store work on 512MB devices.

I'm not a big app user, so maybe some of the app junkies here could chip in on this issue.

Valkyria

Banned
If you are like me and doesn't like to expend too much money in phones 630 is a great bang for the bucks. Apart from games every app I want is available for 512 mb. Could it be faster? Probably but for me a few milliseconds does not worth 100 extra euros.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
1020 cyan update is live. Guess I have to roll back to get it though, damn.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if it's worth it. Battery life, overall performance, and app performance, plus imaging improvements, would make it worth the hassle.

Edit: Xbox music on android got an update today. It's now faster and smoother than the windows phone version. Not as feature rich, however. Not yet.

hwalker84

I'm sitting here trying to decide if it's worth it. Battery life, overall performance, and app performance, plus imaging improvements, would make it worth the hassle.

Edit: Xbox music on android got an update today. It's now faster and smoother than the windows phone version. Not as feature rich, however. Not yet.

It's feature rich on Windows Phone?

Live for which carrier?
ATT.

Oh, the Verizon Icon refurbs go for less then $300 on eBay. Anyone try it on ATT? Will LTE work on it with ATT?

Price is so tempting. Slap a green back plate on it and you're good.

Edit: Wpcentral forums say it works fine for att but only 3g.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's feature rich on Windows Phone?

Well on android it's basically just viewing your playlists from elsewhere, plus the radio and the collection. Doesn't really have an area for new music, featured artists, etc. There is also no way to manage your collection, like adding stuff to it. So you create playlists, manage your collection on your PC, then play it back on android.

JaggedSac

ATT.

Oh, the Verizon Icon refurbs go for less then $300 on eBay. Anyone try it on ATT? Will LTE work on it with ATT?

Price is so tempting. Slap a green back plate on it and you're good.

Edit: Wpcentral forums say it works fine for att but only 3g.

Interesting. Might have to rollback too.

Interesting. Might have to rollback too.

I can't believe I have to yet again roll back my phone to get official update. Feel like I am back in the Windows Phone 7 day at least Nokia put out proper tool.

Well wiping my 1020 now, might as well since I am using it as point and shoot camera anyway. Let hope Cyan worth all the hassle.

JaggedSac

I can't believe I have to yet again roll back my phone to get official update. Feel like I am back in the Windows Phone 7 day at least Nokia put out proper tool.

Well wiping my 1020 now, might as well since I am using it as point and shoot camera anyway. Let hope Cyan worth all the hassle.

Lol, I'll wait, you let me know if it was worth it.

Lol, I'll wait, you let me know if it was worth it.
Well I lost all my app data, also I should have sign in after doing all the update it would have go a lot faster.

So far it is faster and smoother. Camera feel a bit faster but could also be because I have more space on my phone.

I miss the 1020 and the UI. Windows Phone is like an ex-girlfriend ...

Anyway if you don't care for your app data back up everything else do all the update then sign in and probably have better restore experience than me. It was good for me to wipe the phone anyway and only keep what I really use. Also like all Windows products, install take forever so be prepare.

hadareud

The Translator
The shipments aren't down though, the marketshare is.

Hardly a surprise considering how badly they've handled things in the last 12 months.

They've failed to build on the momentum they had this time last year and they're paying the price for it now.

edit: just saw that the shipments are down too according to those numbers. But they don't really stack up with the numbers that MS released.

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of Cyan, ever since I installed it my 1020 is really cold, as silly as it sounds.

It used to be nice and warm, now it stays cold even if I have it in my trouser pocket.

I haven't noticed any change in battery life, it was good before too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not surprised at the falling numbers, the 525 should've been widely available months ago on the low end and the there was no spring flagship widely available to counteract the galaxy and m8 on the high end. Just look at this thread, many have left due to lack of compelling devices.

Ape

Banned
I'm not surprised at the falling numbers, the 525 should've been widely available months ago on the low end and the there was no spring flagship widely available to counteract the galaxy and m8 on the high end. Just look at this thread, many have left due to lack of compelling devices.

It's true, if yo can't keep the enthusiasts happy then that's saying something.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
As always with Windows Phone "Next year is make or break"

If Windows 9 runs on phones then I think we'll see another major push, if it doesn't or if it's just a badge change on top of 8.1 then I think it's only a matter of time before they call it quits and make do with their Android patent revenue.

JaggedSac

Well I lost all my app data, also I should have sign in after doing all the update it would have go a lot faster.

So far it is faster and smoother. Camera feel a bit faster but could also be because I have more space on my phone.

I miss the 1020 and the UI. Windows Phone is like an ex-girlfriend ...

Anyway if you don't care for your app data back up everything else do all the update then sign in and probably have better restore experience than me. It was good for me to wipe the phone anyway and only keep what I really use. Also like all Windows products, install take forever so be prepare.

Cool, thanks. I'll take the dive. Can you link me to how to do the rollback?

The competition is just staggering (low-end w/ Moto E/G; high-end w/ everything else). Microsoft has very little left in the chamber in terms of stand-out features (Cortana... and... no, that's it).

KageMaru

WP shipments went down compared to last year.

KPJNIB2.png

This is what happens when you drop the ball on so many opportunities. MS has done a laughable job at managing and selling WP for years now.

Should have killed off Windows Phone and let Nokia die. Such a waste of time and resources (much like Xbox and bing).

At least Xbox has adopted some mass market mindshare and I thought Bing was finally profitable for them now. They seem just clueless when it comes to WP.

Edit:

While true, MS doesn't capitalize on this strength. Sure, phone and gadget sites will comment about it from time to time, but the audience for these sites are likely already entrenched in one of the mobile ecosystems. This should be one of the strengths constantly highlighted in their advertising, but that has been shit for a long time now as well. It's almost as if they are completely oblivious to how few people even know about WP and don't realize they should be breaking the bank on raising awareness to their products.

ajim

Alright guys, hope someone can help me out.

I bought a Lumia 930 to upgrade from my 920 (windows 8), but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to transfer all of my data (apps, photos, etc) to the 930.

I used the transfer data app and that only transferred basic contact details and nothing more.

I tried to do a backup to the cloud and then check on my 930 if there was anything there and it didn't recognise anything. Boo :(

PG2G

I have never really used any of the transfer applications, but photos you should probably just back them up to one drive. If you don't want to do that you could always plug the phone into a computer and copy them out of the folder.

I believe to restore from a backup you need to do it when you first setup the phone. Need to make sure you have a working data connection during the initial setup.

royalan

That's not a standout feature. I don't think of cameras when I think of WP (even though they do have decent camera apps). People are more than content with the cameras in their iPhones, Galaxies and what not.

And that's a problem.

I was just having a conversation at work yesterday about smartphones, and nearly the entire room admitted that the quality of the camera on their phones is important to them. Anecdotal, I know, but I do believe that camera quality on smartphones have become such a developed and standard feature that even the laymen notices it now. People don't want smarphones that take "cellphone" quality pics anymore, and most of the Lumias have great cameras and the native software is great, too. But MS rarely ever "pimps" this feature in the same way Apple definitely would have. They even released a Lumia with a 41MP camera...and then didn't talk about it!

It's like Microsoft has no understanding of the strengths they DO have. They're so obsessed with making the world's best pie that they don't realize they've been accidentally making the world's best pudding this whole time.

1020 is on cyan now. Transition animations are back to being silky smooth now, finally.

edit: camera start up and shot to shot time has also improved. not quick but no longer frustratingly slow.

rollback and upgrade are well worth the trouble.

maeh2k

And that's a problem.

I was just having a conversation at work yesterday about smartphones, and nearly the entire room admitted that the quality of the camera on their phones is important to them. Anecdotal, I know, but I do believe that camera quality on smartphones have become such a developed and standard feature that even the laymen notices it now. People don't want smarphones that take "cellphone" quality pics anymore, and most of the Lumias have great cameras and the native software is great, too. But MS rarely ever "pimps" this feature in the same way Apple definitely would have. They even released a Lumia with a 41MP camera...and then didn't talk about it!

It's like Microsoft has no understanding of the strengths they DO have. They're so obsessed with making the world's best pie that they don't realize they've been accidentally making the world's best pudding this whole time.

Nokia released the 1020 and they talked about it a lot. It got a ton of attention considering it was basically a 920 (which was released almost a year earlier I believe) with a better camera.

Yeah I remember a lot of advertising when the 1020 came out about its camera (with its low-light and zoom features).

Maybe the market just isn't there for high-end cameras in phones. Sony used to hype its camera features but they've focused more on waterproofing (though Z2 advertising talks about 4K recording). Their first Xperia phones actually ran Windows Mobile before they switched to Android, and even then their market share isn't great.

Sadly the Sony Windows Phone rumours never panned out.

1020 was marketed heavily. It's not that there isn't a market for a good camera phone, it's more that there isn't a market for Windows Phone.

Apple and Android own mindshare. When people think Windows Phone they think of the old dated Windows Mobile. Or when I tried to sell coworkers on the $40 Lumia 520 for their kids they thought it was a feature phone.

MCD

I always hesitate to recommend anything WP due to the apps. Yes, WhatsApp is available but I don't want my coworker asking me where is this X feature? Why is it slow? etc. Same for all the other apps.

RayStorm

1020 was marketed heavily. It's not that there isn't a market for a good camera phone, it's more that there isn't a market for Windows Phone.

I don't watch a lot of commercials, actually pretty much none, so I wouldn't know... but if the 1020, when it was released had a full hd display, I would have been (a still might) be interested in buying one. As far as I remember, it was -even at release- lacking in other hardware than the stellar camera. I know, Windows Phone works better than Android with that hardware, but still... that's things that turned me off. And I would really _LOVE_ a phone with a good camera. But I don't care about apps at all, so I'm probably different than most people. *sigh*

Top Bottom