• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Anyone can help?

Reinstalled w10m and now my pinned email tiles do not show a live tile and even though I can select them in settings to show on lock screen they no longer show notifications on lock screen. Only the main Outlook mail app shows all mail items on one live tile and one lock notifications (Outlook mail) not the pinned mailboxes.
Happened to me afterI upgraded my 830 to w10. Just un-pin and re-pin the tile. Or was it a couple of hard resets. I don't remember.

And now there are at least three hardware manufacturers that make better cameras, even in the apple fanboy metric of "just point and shoot". Like others have said, they hold themselves back with form factor, in both camera and battery. They do not have the best smartphone camera folks.
Their software for white balancing and slow mo are superior though. likely, things like stabilization in hardware and software will be class leading in the next gen iphone.

hankster

And now there are at least three hardware manufacturers that make better cameras, even in the apple fanboy metric of "just point and shoot". Like others have said, they hold themselves back with form factor, in both camera and battery. They do not have the best smartphone camera folks.
Anytime I think about going back I remember this: iPhone - the anorexic smart phone.

Holy Hell swipe/word flow is stoopid bad in Edge....

hankster

One AT&T version. Another 950 was the unlocked version because it was like 100 bucks cheaper due to a discount.

There was no indication the regular 950 was dual-sim.
REALLY needs be a way to disable that 2nd slot. Should do it automatically if no SIM card installed.

Finally found an Android keyboard that is as good, maybe even better than the WP keyboard. It's TouchPal and it's fantastic. Tons of settings allowing it to look feel sound and perform like the WP.

Touchpal, waze, and Android's superior bluetooth stack allowing a better bluetooth connection in my car may just be enough to keep me on the platform.

I'd probably jump on the g4 or the v10 for their superior cameras but I just don't find those phones attractive.

derFeef

Looking for a good case or backplate for the 950, but seems like I need to order offshore, not much available unless I am missing the obvious resellers (Germany/Austria).

hadareud

The Translator
I bought a Band 2, mentalist that I am.

I quite like it actually. Already done 30% of my daily step target in the 2 1/2 hours since receiving it.

Smoking myself healthy.

Milchjon

Finally had a look at the 950/XL/550

Wanted to buy a 730 afterwards.

Depressing devices. And pretty much any change in the Windows design is a change for the worse, at least visually.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For a quad hd screen, 3gb ram, top tier camera, 32gb truly expandable memory, iris sensor, and high end qualcomm processors? Please. The phones are overpriced, but not by more than double. That's crazy.

Milchjon

For a quad hd screen, 3gb ram, top tier camera, 32gb truly expandable memory, iris sensor, and high end qualcomm processors? Please. The phones are overpriced, but not by more than double. That's crazy.

Specs are only a small part of the equation, or people wouldn't be buying iPhones.

Take the price the specs would suggest, and multiply it with an attractiveness factor that encompasses everything else.

For me, that factor is <<1 for the 950s.

Used to be like 2-3+ for earlier Lumias.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Obviously the personal value anyone places on any thing is subjective. I guess I was giving you more credit than that. I usually ignore "I wouldn't pay $10 for an iPhone" type comments. I didnt think you'd make the windows phone equivalent.

I own the phone, I'm writing up a long impressions post/rant, and lets just say that you are selling the phone short. And you've been in this thread to hopefully know I'm not going to pull punches or sugarcoat anything, but at the same time I'm not going to blindly bash the device.

Milchjon

No, of course. It's just that everyone has their own reasons for choosing certain phones. For me it's probably about 10% price, 20% camera and (to a lesser extent other specs), 10% app availability, 10% pointless gimmicks and 50% physical attractiveness. That's the only reason why I've been on WP for 5 years now and have never truly felt the urge to switch.

All I'm saying is that for me personally, due to the factors mentioned above, the 950s are so much less appealing to me.

I'm glad you like your phone. Wish I could feel the same.

JaggedSac

No, of course. It's just that everyone has their own reasons for choosing certain phones. For me it's probably about 10% price, 20% camera and (to a lesser extent other specs), 10% app availability, 10% pointless gimmicks and 50% physical attractiveness. That's the only reason why I've been on WP for 5 years now and have never truly felt the urge to switch.

All I'm saying is that for me personally, due to the factors mentioned above, the 950s are so much less appealing to me.

I'm glad you like your phone. Wish I could feel the same.

Based on those percentages, why the heck did you ever own a WP? Especially before the first Lumia's came out.

Get the 950 with a discount

Yeah, been debating it.

Yeah. I got mine with the 10% off education discount since my wife is a teacher and a little bit extra from fatwallet or ebates [$14]. That's about $80 off right there.

Any rumors on what is coming to Mobile in Redstone?

The rumors I've heard from Brad Sams is that one of the new feature sets on Redstone is going to be deep collaboration of apps across desktop and mobile i.e. you could start writing an email on your desktop and then pick up your phone on the way out the house and continue your draft seamlessly.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, of course. It's just that everyone has their own reasons for choosing certain phones. For me it's probably about 10% price, 20% camera and (to a lesser extent other specs), 10% app availability, 10% pointless gimmicks and 50% physical attractiveness. .

Yeah, that's a weird mix, and yes, the 950 is a step down in design and construction from previous flagship Lumias. We're talking about a line of phones that competed with Apple and Sony in terms of build and aesthetics, and the 950/xl are not in the same league. That said, these are some of the thinnest, lightest Lumias. They feel good in the hand, and of course, the Mozo cases are nice. I'm waiting for prices on those to drop, but in the meantime the phone feels better in my hand than I would've thought just from looking at it.

Is it the Denim????

Another big test. This is firmware, and perhaps it deals with the radios and AT&T can block it. I know I have the stripe issue with 4k video, so I'm hoping it goes through without carrier interference.

dLMN8R

My wife has had a Lumia 950 XL for about a week now and she loves it so far. A nice direct comparison to my iPhone 6S Plus.

The screen is gorgeous, and we can't believe how thin and light the phone is - despite it still having wireless charging. It makes my 6S Plus seem like the Lumia 920 compared to how the Samsung Focus was.

I know it was mentioned in the 950/950XL thread in OT, but I just saw that Pocket Now released their 950 XL review and which pretty much says to not get the phone at all. Kind of sad listening to Michael Fisher have to go through all of the issues WP10 has since he's been a big fan of the Windows Phone platform for quite some time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNgfEVk8oo

I know it was mentioned in the 950/950XL thread in OT, but I just saw that Pocket Now released their 950 XL review and which pretty much says to not get the phone at all. Kind of sad listening to Michael Fisher have to go through all of the issues WP10 has since he's been a big fan of the Windows Phone platform for quite some time.
Nothing surprising if you followed the preview builds.

Sounds like many of us who jumped ship yet still root for the platform.

JaggedSac

I find it amusing that W10M seemingly runs better on my HTC M8 than on MS' own devices.

No, some of us are simply gifted in a way that weights under 1-2 pounds don't register as "heavy" in any meaningful sense.

It's like a superpower really

It was a joke. I guess you weren't around for the 900 and 920 launch.

Milchjon

Well, OS wasn't even on his list of items, but regardless, I'd personally not call it an ugly mess. I still find it looks great and flows great with my personal usage.

I include that in attractiveness. It's not "physical" I guess. But WP7 was gorgeous.

I still use my 800 every now and then, and in many ways I still prefer it to even my 920/WP8.1. It would basically only need a better camera, quiet hours and about 5 apps that aren't on WP7 to still be my perfect phone.

CaptainABAB

Any good guides out there for migrating from Windows Phone to Android? Lack of hardware options, app gap and a good deal at Costco for the LG G4 means I'm switching my parents from their HTC 8X and Blu WinHD.

If they use Hotmail/Outlook for email + calendar + contacts, add their Microsoft account as an "Exchange" account and not IMAP/POP3.

This way, you get full email/calendar/contact sync using ActiveSync, which is supported by Hotmail/Outlook.

Milchjon

CW6tVcqWcAAqGUf.jpg:large

Top Bottom