• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I want GearVR to give me the Ibiza hotel experience when I'm eating leftover Chinese food, I don't want it to give me a tacky underwater scene when I'm already at the fucking Ibiza hotel

Any rumors on what is coming to Mobile in Redstone?
I'm expecting the very least they could do:

- Fix the bugs on the app platform. Apps still crash a lot, or get an strange behaviour until you close and restart them.

- Fix OneDrive. Placeholders, high cpu usage, inconsistency (I have pics that gets uploaded three times while every once a while another one is missing).

- Deliver on the promises of the app platform. They promised a cloud based notification center, where you would receive notifications (and they would sync) on all devices, even if there's no app installed on that device. They also promised they would bring many of the win32 api features to store apps, as shell integration. Make the platform so good developers can move their win32 apps to the new platform.

-Leverage the fact that all your devices are running the same os. And powered by the same cloud. Give me synergy between devices, make them magical! Let me answer a call or reply a message on my xbone, or at least the fucking basic, like syncing drafts on the mail app.

- Make it possible to skype call directly from anywhere on the phone. That's possible on android, but the skype wp app is just terrible, and the so called "Skype Integration" on win10, half baked and bordering the useless.

I'm expecting the very least they could do:

- Fix the bugs on the app platform. Apps still crash a lot, or get an strange behaviour until you close and restart them.

- Fix OneDrive. Placeholders, high cpu usage, inconsistency (I have pics that gets uploaded three times while every once a while another one is missing).

- Deliver on the promises of the app platform. They promised a cloud based notification center, where you would receive notifications (and they would sync) on all devices, even if there's no app installed on that device. They also promised they would bring many of the win32 api features to store apps, as shell integration. Make the platform so good developers can move their win32 apps to the new platform.

-Leverage the fact that all your devices are running the same os. And powered by the same cloud. Give me synergy between devices, make them magical! Let me answer a call or reply a message on my xbone, or at least the fucking basic, like syncing drafts on the mail app.

- Make it possible to skype call directly from anywhere on the phone. That's possible on android, but the skype wp app is just terrible, and the so called "Skype Integration" on win10, half baked and bordering the useless.
That's asking too much of MS. Asking for something like improved bluetooth would be more realistic. Skype and onedrive have been shut for years, I don't expect a change.

JaggedSac

That's asking too much of MS. Asking for something like improved bluetooth would be more realistic. Skype and onedrive have been shut for years, I don't expect a change.

Placeholders are coming back with Redstone.

As for that syncing stuff, that has very limited appeal to me. The improved APIs would be great and are certainly something they have to be working.

I am hoping for some improved live tile functionality. For big size tiles they should add deep links to different regions of the tile. Since they have them more useful on the desktop now, I could see them getting some attention.

Other than that, I really can't think of anything I want now want from a phone OS.

DrPizza

Banned
Placeholders are coming back with Redstone.

As for that syncing stuff, that has very limited appeal to me. The improved APIs would be great and are certainly something they have to be working.

I am hoping for some improved live tile functionality. For big size tiles they should add deep links to different regions of the tile. Since they have them more useful on the desktop now, I could see them getting some attention.

Other than that, I really can't think of anything I want now want from a phone OS.

Microsoft has never said that placeholders are coming back and I do not understand this confidence that they are. I would love to see them return.

hwalker84

Microsoft has never said that placeholders are coming back and I do not understand this confidence that they are. I would love to see them return.

I won't use Onedrive until they come back. If they don't then I'll never use Onedrive again. I have 300GB's of stuff I'm not syncing that locally.

dLMN8R

Thurrott has a history of being overly confident in his sources, and then when it turns out his sources are wrong, he blames Microsoft for changing direction. Sometimes he's so self-deluded that he thinks that Microsoft changed direction because of him.

For example: See various naming conventions (Windows 8.1 Update, etc.) or release dates (his claim that TH1 was supposed to be released when TH2 was, but was pulled forward, is and always has been bullshit)

That doesn't mean he or his sources are wrong this time around, but you shouldn't assume something is happening just because Thurrott said it is.

JaggedSac

Thurrott has a history of being overly confident in his sources, and then when it turns out his sources are wrong, he blames Microsoft for changing direction. Sometimes he's so self-deluded that he thinks that Microsoft changed direction because of him.

For example: See various naming conventions (Windows 8.1 Update, etc.) or release dates (his claim that TH1 was supposed to be released when TH2 was, but was pulled forward, is and always has been bullshit)

That doesn't mean he or his sources are wrong this time around, but you shouldn't assume something is happening just because Thurrott said it is.

Sure. Dude thinks very highly of himself. But I was also mistaken, that was Brad Sams that posted that about OneDrive placeholders. Keep forgetting to check article authors.

Paganmoon

Point-zoom-click (enhanced with Lumia tools)
6vyeguO.jpg
Not sure how it looks on a computer, but i like it on the phone. I fucking love this camera
Original picture, no enhancements http://i.imgur.com/tNROVjt.jpg

And living images are great for this vacation. Adds a lot to to the pictures when viewing them later.

Cut and paste is pissing me off a bit right now though.

Paganmoon

Anyone else have troubles with swipe to hide onscreen buttons not working in some apps? Bloody thing wont hide in 6tag amongst other apps. Going to home screen and swiping works right away.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys I am having a bizarre issue with my Lumia 1520.

My mic on call does not work, when I put it on speaker it works. When I record something through app it works. Right now I am using headphones for calling. But I can't use that everyday, and I don't know wth happened. Just suddenly the mic stopped working only for calls?

Is this a software or hardware issue? I did multiple restart, I restored the phone as well. Still same issue.

Anyone else have troubles with swipe to hide onscreen buttons not working in some apps? Bloody thing wont hide in 6tag amongst other apps. Going to home screen and swiping works right away.

Yeah. I don't think 6tag supports that function unfortunately, it's never worked for me.

Paganmoon

I have yet to have an app that the software buttons don't work with. It can be funky because they don't resize on some or are transparent, but the buttons display regardless.
Does it work for you on 6tag? The problem in that app for me, as mentioned in my previous post, is that the app seems to resize to fit the screen (minus buttons) but buttons are still on the screen making the app partially unusable.

hwalker84

My mic on call does not work, when I put it on speaker it works. When I record something through app it works. Right now I am using headphones for calling. But I can't use that everyday, and I don't know wth happened. Just suddenly the mic stopped working only for calls?

Is this a software or hardware issue? I did multiple restart, I restored the phone as well. Still same issue.

Same thing happened to me. Never fixed itself. Full restore or upgrade to WM10 didn't work.

BeforeU

So I did some research and this looks like a hardware level issue. Apparently there are two different mics? well fuck me. So the speaker one works fine, but on call regular one has suddenly stopped working.

I need help deciding what I should buy now. There is no way I am spending $750 and $850 for L950 and XL respectively + our Canadian tax.

I was hopping to use my L1520 until next flagship comes, may be a surface phone :( but now I need to make a decision soon.

which one of these I should get.

Lumia 640 XL $250
BLU Win HD LTE $140

I will use one of these devices just for phone calls, rest will be done on my L1520. I know I will have to carry both everywhere I go. But I have no option I guess.

Any other suggestion?

hwalker84

So I did some research and this looks like a hardware level issue. Apparently there are two different mics? well fuck me. So the speaker one works fine, but on call regular one has suddenly stopped working.

I need help deciding what I should buy now. There is no way I am spending $750 and $850 for L950 and XL respectively + our Canadian tax.

I was hopping to use my L1520 until next flagship comes, may be a surface phone :( but now I need to make a decision soon.

Lumia 640 XL $250
BLU Win HD LTE $140

I will use one of these devices just for phone calls, rest will be done on my L1520. I know I will have to carry both everywhere I go. But I have no option I guess.

Any other suggestion?

IPhone 6s or + that's what I did.

clav

Lumia 640 XL $250
BLU Win HD LTE $140

Any other suggestion?

Just get an Android phone.

Support smartphones for everyone.

BeforeU

IPhone 6s or + that's what I did.

If I wanted to spend that much I would rather just get 950 or 950XL lol

Just get an Android phone.

Support smartphones for the masses.

The thing is, Android is a mess on low-end hardware. I will probably have to spend around 400-500 to get decent performance. and I know am definitely coming back to Windows once a surface phone hits. Which is what, around a year away? Is it worth spending that much for a short period?

clav

The thing is, Android is a mess on low-end hardware. I will probably have to spend around 400-500 to get decent performance. and I know am definitely coming back to Windows once a surface phone hits. Which is what, around a year away? Is it worth spending that much for a short period?

That's exaggerated. I'm still using a Galaxy S3, which a lot of low-end hardware today matches or outperforms it.

Just be sure to get a unit that has at least 2GB of RAM. Some of our friends here bought some really cheap Android devices recently and are enjoying them.

Up to you. I would say $100-$200 would be my limit. You can find something hopefully in Canada. Ask us before you buy.

hadareud

The Translator
Is it exaggerated? The Moto E I got last year ran like poo from the beginning (scrolling in an app or the browser is fucking awful, for instance - a Lumia 620 would easily outperform it) and I'd like to see if an S3 runs any better after a couple of months.

It's hit or miss with Android. My brother's well spec'd Nexus 5 runs like shit. Constant reboots and basic functions like phone not working while multitasking are problems with his phone.

So far my mediatek powered 2gb ram Blu Life One X is running great. I wonder if replacing Google Now with Cortana, Gmail with Outlook, Gmaps with Here/Waze, etc, has something to do with it. Maybe Android isn't the issue, it's Google apps on Android.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's hit or miss with Android. My brother's well spec'd Nexus 5 runs like shit. Constant reboots and basic functions like phone not working while multitasking are problems with his phone.

So far my mediatek powered 2gb ram Blu Life One X is running great. I wonder if replacing Google Now with Cortana, Gmail with Outlook, Gmaps with Here/Waze, etc, has something to do with it. Maybe Android isn't the issue, it's Google apps on Android.

I did all that, and still my G4 eventually turned to crap. Problem is, even after you replace the default apps, you can't get rid of the google apps, and you still have to use the play store, so you never can really rid yourself of the google apps and the dreaded google and android "services". Android phones all start out great, especially samsung phones, but they simply don't hold up over time if your are a power user. You eventually have to start babying it, turning services off, deleting apps, hard reset, download battery management apps.....that's just not for me anymore.

BeforeU

Okay guys, so Lumia 640 XL sounds decent right? I am not a heavy user anyways, I love my 1080p screen. But I think I can live without it for a year. I browse a lot only phone.

Should I go get one for myself right now?

$280 CAD with tax.

JaggedSac

Does it work for you on 6tag? The problem in that app for me, as mentioned in my previous post, is that the app seems to resize to fit the screen (minus buttons) but buttons are still on the screen making the app partially unusable.

For me, 6tag just makes the buttons always visible(if they are hidden before opening, they pop up), but the app is sized correctly for it.

MCD

Okay guys, so Lumia 640 XL sounds decent right? I am not a heavy user anyways, I love my 1080p screen. But I think I can live without it for a year. I browse a lot only phone.

Should I go get one for myself right now?

$280 CAD with tax.

I don't know about the price but 640 is the best 8.1 phone sans the camera. Camera nothing special.

Top Bottom