• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Magni

Still waiting for Cyan to be released for the 820 :( I have a dev device, give it to me now!

Also really looking forward to the 830 reveal, hoping for a sub $400 price (and working on T-Mo!)

edit: http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-620-720-820-begin-getting-lumia-cyan yayyy, now for it to reach my phone!

edit2:

Remember, if you are using Windows Phone 8.1 already through the Preview for Developers, even if your country is listed below, you still do not get Lumia Cyan just yet as Microsoft has a pause on the updates. Users are instructed to either wait until a fix comes out or use the Nokia Recovery Tool to downgrade the OS and then take the updates.

Wait, there's still no fix out? How long has it been? I don't even have BitLocker on my phone :(

hankster

So I got an invite today to purchase one of these beasties. Looks like a very nice phone for the price. And I'm guessing it would be flippable for when Mokia surprises us with a real upgrade option in the fall (right?).

Sigh...

hankster

p.s. recovery tool in action downgrading my 1020 to get the Cyan. hoping for pleasant surprise because as much as I love this camera the lack of speed/responsiveness is killing me.

JaggedSac

1020 is on cyan now. Transition animations are back to being silky smooth now, finally.

edit: camera start up and shot to shot time has also improved. not quick but no longer frustratingly slow.

rollback and upgrade are well worth the trouble.

Can you link me to how to rollback?

Why are the updates taking so long for AT&T 920? This is a bad, slow rollout. They went from 1 sort of major availabilities a week, then slowed down the past 2.

1020 is on cyan now. Transition animations are back to being silky smooth now, finally.

edit: camera start up and shot to shot time has also improved. not quick but no longer frustratingly slow.

rollback and upgrade are well worth the trouble.

That's it, I'm rolling back today!

Messing with my 1020 start screen with Cyan, downloaded all my apps. Added the other row of tiles and the damn stutter came back on my start screen animation. I removed the other row and it's smooth again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Messing with my 1020 start screen with Cyan, downloaded all my apps. Added the other row of tiles and the damn stutter came back on my start screen animation. I removed the other row and it's smooth again.

Hmmm, probably why my 920 stutters a bit.

So I got an invite today to purchase one of these beasties. Looks like a very nice phone for the price. And I'm guessing it would be flippable for when Mokia surprises us with a real upgrade option in the fall (right?).

Sigh...

I love the phone and the Cyanogen mod make Android bearable for me. Update OS is so fast and easy compare to what I have to go through with my 1020.

Using background image on my home screen cause brief stutter also.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I did the rollback and now I have cyan on my 1020. Very tempted to go back to it as my daily driver rather than the m8. Too bad the Sim cards are different sizes, are those converter things they sell where I can stick my micro Sim into a larger Sim tray legit?

Vyer

Got my 520 today and updated to 8.1. Enjoying playing around with it, it's going to serve as a backup or a temp phone if I'm between selling/purchasing a daily driver.

Was the YouTube app situation ever worked out? Seems to be Metro Tube that's recommended in the store.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my 520 today and updated to 8.1. Enjoying playing around with it, it's going to serve as a backup or a temp phone if I'm between selling/purchasing a daily driver.

Was the YouTube app situation ever worked out? Seems to be Metro Tube that's recommended in the store.

MyTube is also excellent

Thanks for the feedback.

Well the restore from backup went badly, though the phone did apologize for it....

I lost some of the apps that's no longer in the store. I like the OnePlus but really miss the wireless charging and the godly camera. The Cyan update make the 1020 really nice to use (fast and fluids) I think I will just keep both and switch sim depends on when and where I am going and if I need the camera.

I did the rollback and now I have cyan on my 1020. Very tempted to go back to it as my daily driver rather than the m8. Too bad the Sim cards are different sizes, are those converter things they sell where I can stick my micro Sim into a larger Sim tray legit?

Same here but I am keeping both for now and see how I feel about using 1020 again. What size sim does M8 use? My 1020 and OnePlus use the same sim size.

royalan

So what's the final consensus on the HTC One's camera?

Because I hear a lot of people saying it sucks. But a lot of professional reviews I'm googling right now are actually saying it's impressive. And I'm agreeing, judging from the photos.

If Nokia doesn't hurry up, I might switch to HTC.

Because I hear a lot of people saying it sucks. But a lot of professional reviews I'm googling right now are actually saying it's impressive. And I'm agreeing, judging from the photos.

All the review I saw said the camera is terrible. Also Van is using it and he said it's garbage and I trust his opinion since he take a lot of pretty paradise pictures.

Do,I did the rollback, now my 1020 is on Cyan and 8.1

But it didn't restored my layout, all my installed apps are there (most without any data) but I have a stuck app that won't install: "Downloading Apps" I haven't canceled yet, because I hope, once this successfully installs, my layout will be restored.

Vyer

So uhhhh I shut the 520 off, pulled the battery to check the sim card type, and when I fired it back up I got a blue screen with a sad face.

Are you kidding me

GSM Arena had a 2014 smartphone camera shootout and the M8 didn't even make the list. The 2013 1020 won BTW.

830 is beautiful. Please have a nice screen; 720p, bonded to glass, no light leaks, etc.
Rg6QIKt.jpg

Vyer

Had to do a hard reset and start over. At least it came back to life I guess.

EDIT: On the bright side, it appears almost all of the AT&T branded extra crapware is gone after restoring to the 8.1 update. lol

Odd that the rumored Verizon version is the one with the 20mp camera. They already have the Icon with the same camera and the same aesthetics.

Tablo

Okay that's it I'm so thirsty for official 8.1/Cyan on my 920 that I'm cracking out the random 520 I have and updating that. First impressions: what I wouldn't do for a nice smooth oleophobic coating on this screen, it feels disgustingly weird after the sex of a coating that the 920 has.

MCD

regarding 8.1 cyan on my lumia 1020, i'm pretty happy with the performance so far especially after reading all these horror stories. yes, i'm not an app guy, I just browse and send shit via WhatsApp but so far so good. only one random freeze overnight and a bit of "animation stutter" when hitting the home button or resuming but nothing ground breaking.

now, please release more devices.

it's odd that I actually really like the aesthetic look of the hump on that phone and the 1020.

I don't know why people hate the hump on 1020, I think it makes the phone look very unique and exotic looking. The hump also feel nice with the aluminum cover, I miss the feel of that on my plastic OnePlus One. (I put cover over the cheap felt feel of the 64gb version).

That said I don't know why Nokia move away from the 920/1020 curve and smooth round edge. While the aluminum siding seems to be all the rage, the square shape make the Icon very bulky and uncomfortable to hold .. not to mention ugly.

ajim

Playing around with my 930, it's beautiful, very fast and fluid.

I just wish when resizing the apps on the UI that I could resize some of them the entire length of the screen like on 8.0. I don't like that they only expand up to 3/4 the width of the screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Had to do a hard reset and start over. At least it came back to life I guess.

EDIT: On the bright side, it appears almost all of the AT&T branded extra crapware is gone after restoring to the 8.1 update. lol

All apps except first party apps can be uninstalled, unlike on android.

Treo360

Yes it is. Bought my daughter a T-Mobile WalMart special sim kit and it came in a nano SIM with 2 adapters. I needed to use the adapter to go up to a micro sim so that I could put it in her 920

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there no countdown timer built in? Just tried cortana with my standard 'give me a 15 minute timer' for when using the oven, and it came back with 'you need to be that yourself'. Cheeky cow.

Honestly seems to do little more than just bing whatever I say. UK version in case it is actually useful in the US?

Edit: wow that 830 looks nicer than the 930..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Playing around with my 930, it's beautiful, very fast and fluid.

I just wish when resizing the apps on the UI that I could resize some of them the entire length of the screen like on 8.0. I don't like that they only expand up to 3/4 the width of the screen.

You can always switch to two columns..

Top Bottom