• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ajim

You can always switch to two columns..

Oh really.

How?

probably heaps of little things I don't know about 8.1 compared to 8.0. Only thing I've really noticed different is the menu UI lol and slightly more flexibility in themes.

830 is beautiful. Please have a nice screen; 720p, bonded to glass, no light leaks, etc.
Rg6QIKt.jpg
I hate the way Nokia design the cameras. They always look garbage. Between the humps and the massive black area. What's wrong with just a lens and flash beside it like the iPhone or the way the previous 720 was.

I've hated the massive black area on my 820 since the day I got it.

Oh really.

How?

probably heaps of little things I don't know about 8.1 compared to 8.0. Only thing I've really noticed different is the menu UI lol and slightly more flexibility in themes.
settings > start+theme, scroll to the bottom and toggle off show more tiles.

José Mourinho;125681882 said:
I hate the way Nokia design the cameras. They always look garbage. Between the humps and the massive black area. What's wrong with just a lens and flash beside it like the iPhone or the way the previous 720 was.

that only works on <1080p screens

Is there no countdown timer built in? Just tried cortana with my standard 'give me a 15 minute timer' for when using the oven, and it came back with 'you need to be that yourself'. Cheeky cow.

Honestly seems to do little more than just bing whatever I say. UK version in case it is actually useful in the US?

Edit: wow that 830 looks nicer than the 930..
No timer but if you ask Cortana to set the alarm or a reminder for 15 minutes it will work.

royalan

GSM Arena had a 2014 smartphone camera shootout and the M8 didn't even make the list. The 2013 1020 won BTW.

Really? Because this is the article that made me ask the question:

http://gizmodo.com/5990360/htc-one-ultrapixel-camera-how-does-it-stack-up

the M8 came out on top there, and all the sample shots they took seem to support that. Granted, this is a little old by now, but still...i'm not seeing evidence that the camera is as terrible as everyone says it is. :/

830 is beautiful. Please have a nice screen; 720p, bonded to glass, no light leaks, etc.
Rg6QIKt.jpg

That's a gorgeous phone.

Fuck what the haters think about the Lumia's bulky design. As a 6'4 male with hands to match, this Lumia 635 is the first phone that I've own since my original Blackberry Bold almost 6 years ago that I didn't feel the need to buy a case for just to be able to hold it comfortably.

I don't need my phone to be razor thin. Hell, I'm realizing now that I prefer my phone with a bit of thickness. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to hold.

Next to the metallic rim, that's actually my favorite part of the design. It gives the camera a retro feel, and it actually looks like you're taking a picture with a camera. Another reason MS should really pimp the cameras in the Lumia phones.

Rehynn

I hate the way Nokia design the cameras. They always look garbage.

Hah, funny, I love this about their cameras. It's a distinct aesthetic touch. Makes the phones instantly recognizable from a distance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Really? Because this is the article that made me ask the question:

http://gizmodo.com/5990360/htc-one-ultrapixel-camera-how-does-it-stack-up

the M8 came out on top there, and all the sample shots they took seem to support that. Granted, this is a little old by now, but still...i'm not seeing evidence that the camera is as terrible as everyone says it is. :/

That comparison is garbage, the One camera is horrible at capturing detail (also, that's the m7, not the m8 in that comparison). Besides that, just think about what has come out since that comparison: the S5, Note 3, 1020, 1520, 930, xperia high end, iPhone 5s etc.

And what did HTC do? Release a worse version of the same shooter (lacks ois). The second camera adds nothing that you couldn't do through software. It's embarrassing.

Commodore

Anyone with a 920 ever have any problems with the LED flash? I think mine's stopped working after a great many photos taken with the camera. Won't work with any sort of reset, or flashlight app. Bah, I had reserved myself to wait out this year to hopefully hear about a bigger hero device early next year, but having no flash is likely gonna make me really think about getting something new sooner.

NeOak

Anyhow with a 920 ever have any problems with the LED flash? I think mine's stopped working after a great many photos taken with the camera. Won't work with any sort of reset, or flashlight app. Bah, I had reserved myself to wait out this year to hopefully hear about a bigger hero device early next year, but having no flash is likely gonna make me really think about getting something new sooner.

The pins lose contact, that's what happens.

Next to the metallic rim, that's actually my favorite part of the design. It gives the camera a retro feel, and it actually looks like you're taking a picture with a camera. Another reason MS should really pimp the cameras in the Lumia phones.

Hah, funny, I love this about their cameras. It's a distinct aesthetic touch. Makes the phones instantly recognizable from a distance.
What's wrong with you? Animals! Animals I tells ya!

ajim

I don't have that option on my 930 unfortunately :(

I'm on 1020 Cyan, everything is faster and I have substantially better battery life compared to 8.1 in preview before Cyan.

But, sync/backed up related stuff has been a huge failure, even on 8.1 vanilla, or after using preview again to get update 1.

IE won't see any tabs from other devices, not other devices see tabs from my phone. My passwords aren't being synced too, nor my saved networks credentials.

On top of that, my screen layout went puff in the process, so were all the Bluetooth devices I've paired, not to mention not a single app that's not completely cloud based kept anything (what's the use for WhatsApp backup messages option?). And my Wi-Fi has been unreliable, it often won't connect to any network, even if I switch on and off, the only solution being resetting the phone.

And the bad news: This is happening even after a few restores, from both erasing everything on my phone or going back to 8.1 vanilla using Nokia recovery tool.

Vast.

Banned
You happen to know if its a possible easy fix or better off trying to get someone from Nokia to do it?
It's literally one of the easiest fixes. You could do it in 2 minutes. I could do it in 30 seconds.

You just need to take the bottom two screws out from the 920, and pop the phone out of the case, and then raise the 2 contact point pins of the flash and thats it.
39560d1376049788-metal-prongs.jpg

Look at any Lumia 920 dissassembly video on youtube to see how to pop the phone out. You just need at T5 Torx Screwdriver.

If you watch the tutorial and do it slow it might take you 5 minutes. There's really no risk. Trust me.

Here's a quick tutorial with pics on how to fix it.

Vyer

Anyone ever tried a sim adapter in a 520? I notice it doesn't have a tray, but I'm curious to use the phone function but don't want to deactivate my sim and get another one. Unfortunately I have a nano sim so the adapter would be my only choice. I hear the pins can get stuck though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Does anybody know if Microsoft does ANY form of testing regarding the apps on the WP store? Meetic's has been broken for months now (as in not even running), and nobody seems to give a fuck about it despite countless negative comments.

Treo360

Anyone ever tried a sim adapter in a 520? I notice it doesn't have a tray, but I'm curious to use the phone function but don't want to deactivate my sim and get another one. Unfortunately I have a nano sim so the adapter would be my only choice. I hear the pins can get stuck though.
I got mine from TMO. No problems.

hadareud

The Translator
Is there any chance that the 830 has a better camera than the 930?

The rumour is that it's a 20mp pureview, just like the one in the 930, but considering the size of the camera on the back I'm somewhat hopefully thinking that it's not.

That and a 1080p screen would make me seriously consider it.

Yes, I do know that neither is likely.

hadareud

The Translator
720p is FINE for a device of that size. No problems here. All I ask is an OLED screen and Qi charging.

Fat chance, I know.

Yeah it's fine, but it's also not brilliant.

Even if it is 720p, the camera could swing it for me.

On the other hand, I really like the 930 too.

KageMaru

Does anybody know if Microsoft does ANY form of testing regarding the apps on the WP store? Meetic's has been broken for months now (as in not even running), and nobody seems to give a fuck about it despite countless negative comments.

It's the same way with the Minus app, crashes as soon as you launch it but the devs don't give a fuck.

Is there any chance that the 830 has a better camera than the 930?

The rumour is that it's a 20mp pureview, just like the one in the 930, but considering the size of the camera on the back I'm somewhat hopefully thinking that it's not.

That and a 1080p screen would make me seriously consider it.

Yes, I do know that neither is likely.

It's likely the same camera and the only reason we see a small hump on the 830 is because it's thinner than the 930.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's the same way with the Minus app, crashes as soon as you launch it but the devs don't give a fuck.

It's kind of shocking, because it's not like it's some kind of obscure bug or something that only pops up after a certain period of time. The son of a bitch doesn't even connect to the serves. It crashes on start.

It's bad enough that devs launch untested apps (ones that manage very personal information, to make it worse), but what the heck is the purpose of Microsoft's validation if not checking that apps at least run.

Ade

The WP app store submission process is totally random.

I can submit an app, get it knocked back for a reason, resubmit WITH NO CHANGES and get it approved, then get updates knocked back for reasons that are nothing to do with the update.

I think its outsourced to a bunch of random people who really don't give a shit.

It's kind of shocking, because it's not like it's some kind of obscure bug or something that only pops up after a certain period of time. The son of a bitch doesn't even connect to the serves. It crashes on start.

It's bad enough that devs launch untested apps (ones that manage very personal information, to make it worse), but what the heck is the purpose of Microsoft's validation if not checking that apps at least run.
Going from my experiences they check if it runs. It probably worked at the start and stopped working afterwards.

I've had an App fail cert just because the server happened to be down when they chose to test it, the app opened, but just couldn't connect and displayed an error message

Sadly for me though it then failed an additional 3 times because the service I was connecting to was having patchy issues with the server being down everyday for several hours or more due to upgrades and errors, So I just decided to use the extra time to get more features in and by try 4 where it passed it was almost a completely different update focus

They definitely check to see whether it runs, typically on three or so different devices

hwalker84

Finally got my 1520 back. Since they wiped it i'm trying to downgrade to WP 8.0. I used Nokia Recovery tool 4.2.1 and all it did was restore WP 8.1. What tool restores WP 8.0 so that I can get Cyan? Thanks.

edit: Never mind the recovery installed 8.1 with Cyan.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Any alternatives to 6Snap that won't crash? Fucking shit. I almost end up sending a full body naked picture because the stupid app locked up when I was cropping the image.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Sending them dick pics? Lol

No, it was supposed to be a picture of me wearing my new swimming goggles. I wanted to crop off the image because it's super tacky to send a naked picture. I don't know, we aren't at that stage yet. I don't think the image got sent, but the app locked up while I was cropping the picture.

Edit: Seriously. I understand that Rudy does all that he can. but Snapchat and Tinder on Windows Phone are crippled. Now, with the latest update to IE, OKCupid on mobile is borked as fuck, the images won't render. Having a Windows Phone is like accepting a handicap on your dating life if you rely on online dating. My 920 is about to give up, and I need a new phone. I am on AT&T, so my only alternatives are the year old 1020 or the hulk of a fucking phone that is the 1520. Fuck this.... I want to remain loyal to Windows Phone because I am really invested in this ecosystem, but Microsoft just keeps fucking up BIG TIME!
I honestly cannot recommend Windows Phone anymore. I gifted a phone to someone a few weeks ago, and I really wanted to get this person a WP device, but I didn't want her to struggle with all the shit I put up with, so I got her a Nexus 5; good fucking choice on my end. She loves it.

Ryck

Thinking of picking up a 635, currently using an iphone 4 would that be an upgrade? I looked for a thread but couldn't find it so I figured I'd ask here.

Also any difference between the 530 and the 635? I see they are both entry level.

hadareud

The Translator
The 530 will be GBP 60.- in the UK, coming out early September.

60 quid is a fantastic price, it's a good bit cheaper than the 520 was.

MarkusRJR

Don't know where to ask this: I have a decently sized Xbox Video collection, but due to expired rentals and movie teasers remaining in my "collection" It's a mess to actually see what I own. Is there some hidden way to remove these videos? I searched online to no success but I refuse to believe a video service in 2014 lacks such a basic feature. I'm honestly going to move over to Google Play if it's the case, since I rent movies every Friday to watch with my family.

TLDR: Xbox Video is even more basic than Xbox Music, lacks ability to remove expired rentals, always stay in collection.

kharma45

The 530 will be GBP 60.- in the UK, coming out early September.

60 quid is a fantastic price, it's a good bit cheaper than the 520 was.

Not bad, pity it couldn't have come out a bit quicker. My Dad dropped his 520 and ruined so grabbed another to replace it. £50.

Top Bottom