• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, how they release their phones is utterly ridiculous.

Announce a phone, then release it by drip feeding it to countries and carriers over months and months.

One of the reasons why the sales are what they are.

Don't know where to ask this: I have a decently sized Xbox Video collection, but due to expired rentals and movie teasers remaining in my "collection" It's a mess to actually see what I own. Is there some hidden way to remove these videos? I searched online to no success but I refuse to believe a video service in 2014 lacks such a basic feature. I'm honestly going to move over to Google Play if it's the case, since I rent movies every Friday to watch with my family.

TLDR: Xbox Video is even more basic than Xbox Music, lacks ability to remove expired rentals, always stay in collection.

On which device are they showing up?

Have you rented them on the phone?

MarkusRJR

Yeah, how they release their phones is utterly ridiculous.

Announce a phone, then release it by drip feeding it to countries and carriers over months and months.

One of the reasons why the sales are what they are.

On which device are they showing up?

Have you rented them on the phone?
I tend to buy on either my phone (to watch later in the day once I reach a destination) or on my Xbox. The expired rentals and teasers are visible on every platform. About half of them randomly disappear a few months later but there are still a ton. Makes the service not really viable for long term usage if there's no option to hide/remove them.

Also, MS's/Nokia's strategy with releasing phones is pretty shit as you mentioned. By the time the phones come out in North America any interest has gone.

hadareud

The Translator
I tend to buy on either my phone (to watch later in the day once I reach a destination) or on my Xbox. The expired rentals and teasers are visible on every platform. About half of them randomly disappear a few months later but there are still a ton. Makes the service not really viable for long term usage if there's no option to hide/remove thing.

Also, MS's/Nokia's strategy with releasing phones is pretty shit as you mentioned. By the time the phones come out in North America any interest has gone.

You can remove them in the W8 app, and they should then not show up on WP anymore either.

The weird thing is that you can no longer do it in the touch version of the W8 app since the last update.

KageMaru

I tend to buy on either my phone (to watch later in the day once I reach a destination) or on my Xbox. The expired rentals and teasers are visible on every platform. About half of them randomly disappear a few months later but there are still a ton. Makes the service not really viable for long term usage if there's no option to hide/remove them.

Which Xbox do you own? It's been a while since I turned it on but I thought there was a "Remove from collection" button on the 360 version of Xbox vide.

hadareud

The Translator
So, still no music player with Xbox Music Pass integration outside the official one.

I'm getting tempted to make one myself.

Unfortunately mine would quite possibly be much worse than the official app.

MarkusRJR

You can remove them in the W8 app, and they should then not show up on WP anymore either.

The weird thing is that you can no longer do it in the touch version of the W8 app since the last update.

Which Xbox do you own? It's been a while since I turned it on but I thought there was a "Remove from collection" button on the 360 version of Xbox vide.
There's a non-touch version of Xbox Video? I use the metro W8 one. I tried using the remove option on the metro version (before it was removed) and it didn't do anything. How do I reach it the non-touch version?

Also, I have the Xbox One and Xbox 360. I never used the 360 app since you could only buy via credit card (versus Paypal on WP, W8, and Xbox One). I'll check out the 360 version to see if I can remove expired stuff there.

hadareud

The Translator
Well by non touch I mean if you use a mouse and k/b. It seems that you can no longer select films and then remove them from the collection by touch, but I think it still works with the mouse.

KageMaru

There's a non-touch version of Xbox Video? I use the metro W8 one. I tried using the remove option on the metro version (before it was removed) and it didn't do anything. How do I reach it the non-touch version?

Also, I have the Xbox One and Xbox 360. I never used the 360 app since you could only buy via credit card (versus Paypal on WP, W8, and Xbox One). I'll check out the 360 version to see if I can remove expired stuff there.

Also I just checked on the WP app and when looking at a movie in my collection, hitting the "..." brings up an option to remove my purchased movie from collection. Do you get the same option on expired rentals?

MarkusRJR

Also I just checked on the WP app and when looking at a movie in my collection, hitting the "..." brings up an option to remove my purchased movie from collection. Do you get the same option on expired rentals?
So for some reason my Xbox 360 (that's no longer on the main TV and in the basement) doesn't list the expired rentals. I'd check my WP but I moved over to android recently and I don't want to find the phone, charge it up, and update everything to check. Kind of weird how they don't have an android or iOS version of Xbox Video.

Not sure why it's listed on W8 and Xbox One. This is honestly so frustrating.

EDIT: So for some reason the expired rented movies aren't listed on the WP or Xbox 360, while they're viewable on Xbox One and W8. Don't get why though...

EDIT2: Signed out of Xbox Video, then tried uninstalling/reinstalling. Suddenly the expired rentals are gone. Not sure what part did it (because I've tried both before). The teasers are still tied to my account though... Dunno what to do about those.

NeOak

I think I convinced Spooky (yup, the one from Team Spooky) to get a Lumia Icon. Showed him my 1520 with 8.1U1 and a friend was tethering with his 920.

His primary use is tethering, so he was sold on how stable it was on the 920, plus "XLTE" (150Mb LTE) support.

MarkusRJR

There was some Bluetooth certifications for it in Europe...I think.

Still crossing my fingers here.
Verizon exclusive. CALLED IT!
:'(

I would've moved back to WP if this HTC One or Lumia 930 were available in Canada. MS ain't even trying.

I wish the new Lumia would come to Canada. Actually, i always wished Microsoft to get their shit together and be way way more aggressive in putting Windows Phones in everyone's hands but they seem to not care enough or there is something preventing them for promoting the platform more...

I still think Windows Phone is the best phone OS after iOS. It's super stable and fast, plus it's very easy to understand and get into.

WTF Microsoft, do something, release the Lumia 930 here in Canada and everywhere in the world so people get to know more about the platform. As it is now, their weak market share is well deserved.

I was planning on upgrading to a 1520 when it comes to Verizon because of the bigger screen, but I use my phone to listen to music a lot and I am worried that the 1520 will have the same headphone jack design flaw that the 920 has. Maybe I should just get an M8 instead.

hadareud

The Translator
Will "launch" exclusively on Verizon in the US "first".

Sounds like it will be out in the rest of the world this autumn, to me.

PG2G

Its funny how Verizon has a high end phone from HTC, Microsoft, and Samsung. Verizon better push it in their stores if they are going to do crap like that.

Yep, killing any chance at some sales on the high end by having all those phones as exclusives.

In the US market, Verizon have bought up two exclusives in the past six months. I can't imagine that's been worth it for them or the OEM as there's no indication of the Icon flying off the shelves.

AT&T had all the exclusives high end Windows Phones since 2010 and that didn't do shit for the market. Maybe it's time to give Verizon a shot at it.

MS is really dropping the ball here. No consistency in anything. When was 8.1 supposed to be out? June?

The exclusivity is mind-boggling. Limited market share? Let's further limit the market for our new phones! Unless Verizon ponied up some cash for the M8 I can't see any other rationale for this.

I've pretty much given up hope of Canada ever getting any decent WP phones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was still hoping that it wouldn't be exclusive. My brother likes my m8 and currently uses an 8x. He has an upgrade on at&t and was excited when I told him the m8 would come with windows phone in the fall. Alas, he'll probably just pick up an iPhone 6 in the fall. Oh, he also said he wouldn't mind a lumia, but uh, no flagship there either on our carrier. Smh, I still remember when at&t was the premier carrier for the platform.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't understand the American market. Can't you change providers if you like?

Surely you're not tied into a specific one forever. If he has an upgrade coming, that should mean his contract is up. Wouldn't Verizon match the deal to get you to switch?

I don't understand the American market. Can't you change providers if you like?

Surely you're not tied into a specific one forever. If he has an upgrade coming, that should mean his contract is up. Wouldn't Verizon match the deal to get you to switch?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It also depends on where you live. At&t might have better coverage. My brother moved to an area where verizons coverage is spotty (though I'd say that verizons definitely got the best coverage). Also you might have a legacy plan that keeps you tied to a carrier.

Overall the system sucks, tbh.

MCD

http://www.wpcentral.com/heres-green-xbox-dot-view-case-htc-one-you-cant-have

lK650vm.jpg

So when can you get the green Xbox edition you see above? Sadly you can't. That's a super limited edition of the case that will only be able to those who attended the HTC event in NYC today.

This company...

Valkyria

Banned
Thinking of picking up a 635, currently using an iphone 4 would that be an upgrade? I looked for a thread but couldn't find it so I figured I'd ask here.

Also any difference between the 530 and the 635? I see they are both entry level.

I can not say if it is an improvement over iPhone 4, my office partner has it and she is not too happy with it any more. The 635 is an ok phone, low mid level, but I can tell you that it works really smooth. Here in Europe is really cheap and you can not buy an android phone for the same price that function as good, not to mention an iPhone.

Ryck

I can not say if it is an improvement over iPhone 4, my office partner has it and she is not too happy with it any more. The 635 is an ok phone, low mid level, but I can tell you that it works really smooth. Here in Europe is really cheap and you can not buy an android phone for the same price that function as good, not to mention an iPhone.
Thanks for the info, yeah I realize there is a price difference and I have taken that into account. I've had my iphone since it launched so I guess I was hoping it would be a bit better since it has LTE and I hear the os is pretty optimized. Think I am going to bite as $100 unlocked is too good to pass up.

Herr K

Banned
How's the performance between the new low end WP devices compared to the older ones? Say a 620 vs 630. Is the CPU enough to make it perform better? Are they still crippled by the RAM?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I mucked around with it in person today. Form factor seems nice (same as android...wasn't expecting a difference), but no wireless charging and no camera button are dealbreakers for me

Yep, pretty much. I need the 830 to be decent. When is that event again?

Valkyria

Banned
Thanks for the info, yeah I realize there is a price difference and I have taken that into account. I've had my iphone since it launched so I guess I was hoping it would be a bit better since it has LTE and I hear the os is pretty optimized. Think I am going to bite as $100 unlocked is too good to pass up.
I read myself again and maybe I did not make myself clear, she is no longer happy with the iPhone 4, but she is no power user at all. It was me the one who bought the 630 one month ago. I can say that for the price I am delighted with it, an probably I am buying another one to my SO to get ride of her android low end terminal. The performance gap for the same price between WP and android is quite clear.

NeOak

How's the performance between the new low end WP devices compared to the older ones? Say a 620 vs 630. Is the CPU enough to make it perform better? Are they still crippled by the RAM?
It's better when you need CPU power for an app or for web browsing when it can use the 2 cores. But the OS will be just fine on either.

Top Bottom