• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

I just want a cheap smartphone that supports 3G + 4G bands (WCDMA + LTE) with regular OS updates. With 2G on its way out by next year, people will press for these kinds of solutions.

Windows Phone appeal is it's customizable for all users and perhaps the easiest OS to use for elders.

Android still doesn't have a fix for its update solution.

JaggedSac

They would never create hardware that has access to the Google Play store. Mainly because you have to agree to Google's requirements for that, which means Google services. And from the sounds of the way things are heading, Google is going to make those services even more embedded in the phones going forward. MS gains nothing from making a phone like that. Might as well just be content with their apps on the Play store.

clav

Samsung wants users to not use Google Playstore as they need another source of revenue besides hardware. I remember when I played around with a S6, the "preinstalled" apps were linked to the Samsung store.

I think Samsung's themes are also locked behind that, too.

hadareud

The Translator
I guess Xamarin was Rubino's tease.

The fact that Warren thought it was a device is funny. Also puts into question whether Warren is still in the loop when others get such huge news before him.

I guess Xamarin was Rubino's tease.

The fact that Warren thought it was a device is funny. Also puts into question whether Warren is still in the loop when others get such huge news before him.

Is that what Warren has said? He thought the Cyanogen phone was the Xamarin buyout?

Zeknurn

There's a reason Warren is shunned by everyone else in the Microsoft watcher world.

They would never create hardware that has access to the Google Play store. Mainly because you have to agree to Google's requirements for that, which means Google services. And from the sounds of the way things are heading, Google is going to make those services even more embedded in the phones going forward. MS gains nothing from making a phone like that. Might as well just be content with their apps on the Play store.

The EU commission is going to come down hard on Google and Android when their investigation is done. They will be forced to unbundle their apps if they want to continue to offer Android and keep its monopoly in the EU.

maeh2k

About time. Should have bought them years ago and made Xamarin free for everyone to have any shot at relevance in mobile development.

Much like the iOS and Android bridges, Xamarin won't save Windows Phone, however.
Even if they decide to provide Xamarin to everyone for free, it won't make sense for anyone to port their existing apps. Solutions like Xamarin will never quite match native development.

I expected this to happen since MS started to become chummier with them after it was becoming clear that developers weren't interested in moving their code to Windows Phone.

I suppose they'll make the tools free of charge for anyone, and it may bolster some devs to make a quick port. If anything, it may entice corporate development - something that looks like MS will be going for with their new strategy.

The Xamarin buyout is good news for C# developers in general. Hopefully Microsoft now turns around and makes the Xamarin tools free for developers under the same license they use for Visual Studio Community, or even better just integrating it into Visual Studio itself. That said, I'm actually surprised it took this long for the acquisition to happen, especially since people have been saying it was going to happen eventually for years now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Why can't they just give what the people want? A sexy Surface designed phone, water resistance, PureView camera, 3D touch, 128GB base model, Snapdragon 820, superb battery life, superb screen and no headphone jack.

Also a design that will continue with the next model so that 3rd party got time to develop cases and other accessories.

wut? since when is that a "thing"?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wanted the improvements to the edge browser but I know the last fast ring build had issues with visual voicemail, so I didnt get it. Then I read that the new fast ring build fixed the voicemail issue, so I got the new build. Now Edge won't open, it crashes at launch. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I think I'll just use my G4 until the next fast ring build fixes edge. Sigh.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Boardgame fans should check out Patchwork. Picked it up on my XL and Surface (cross buy rules). Game is Tetris-esque but building a quilt patterns, lol

Paganmoon

I wanted the improvements to the edge browser but I know the last fast ring build had issues with visual voicemail, so I didnt get it. Then I read that the new fast ring build fixed the voicemail issue, so I got the new build. Now Edge won't open, it crashes at launch. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I think I'll just use my G4 until the next fast ring build fixes edge. Sigh.

Hmm, strange, not having troubles with Edge and I'm on the build that was released yesterday.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Samsung wants users to not use Google Playstore as they need another source of revenue besides hardware. I remember when I played around with a S6, the "preinstalled" apps were linked to the Samsung store.

I think Samsung's themes are also locked behind that, too.

One disappointing thing about the S7 is that it looked as if Samsung had finally given up on smearing its terrible UI all over the OS (the S6 was already a huge advance in that sense) and then they had to go and continue to fuck things up with borderline worthless gimmicks like Edge contacts and what not.

I believe Samsung is in the process of migrating its own apps to the Play Store, so at least there's that. Samsung's own marketplace is just a source of bloat and confusion for pretty much everybody, just like Sony's.

You get some new devices, then you get negative signals. MS just needs to decide on a path forward. The worst part is that I'm genuinely happy using this platform, I enjoy the day to day use, and aside from a handful of apps (adt, snapchat, etc.) I don't mind as long as they continue to improve the core devices, and they are doing that. I see multiple updates to MS core and Office apps each week, so that makes me feel good.

Edit: Be vary wary of the smoothness of Android phones on a fresh install. The G5 will likely stay relatively smooth, but if past history is any indication, the S7 will not. And I say that as someone who is lusting after the s7 but has been burned by the last two Samsung flagships I've used as daily drivers.
Yeah, updates are always problematic on Android, if not downright dangerous. You'd think you want to update your devices for added stability and increased performance, but I gifted a cheapass second gen Moto E to my girlfriend and it went from working as intended to being a complete, borderline unusuable piece of shit after updating it. I'm talking about random, perpetual reboots, huge latency issues, brutal pauses for the most common tasks (just bringing the clock app can take up to 30 seconds), reduced storage... It's savage.

I remain wary of any updates since then. I'm not willing to work as an unpaid QA technician.

On separate news, the Mobile World Congress turned my LinkedIn account into a show of its own. Jesus. WHO ARE YOU, PEOPLE?

hadareud

The Translator
Got my Mozo case after around 8 weeks.

It's very nice, but even though it's very light it still adds some heft to the phone. Not sure whether I get used to that now that I'm used to the phone being ridiculously light.

Blackhead

Redarse
There's a reason Warren is shunned by everyone else in the Microsoft watcher world.

The EU commission is going to come down hard on Google and Android when their investigation is done. They will be forced to unbundle their apps if they want to continue to offer Android and keep its monopoly in the EU.
Europe hates Google but that's just wishful thinking. Android is open-source, you can already get it without Google Apps and there are already European companies who do so; it is already effectively unbundled. EU commission might as well as Apple to uncle iOS from the iPad while they are at it

M3d10n

I really hope they make Xamarim free. I would love to be able to use C# and XAML for cross platform app development, but $999 a year is brutal.

clav

qcZYcJd.gif

Oh Shit wasn't that what you were working on/worked on?

Yes it was.

One disappointing thing about the S7 is that it looked as if Samsung had finally given up on smearing its terrible UI all over the OS (the S6 was already a huge advance in that sense) and then they had to go and continue to fuck things up with borderline worthless gimmicks like Edge contacts and what not.

I believe Samsung is in the process of migrating its own apps to the Play Store, so at least there's that. Samsung's own marketplace is just a source of bloat and confusion for pretty much everybody, just like Sony's.

Well, I'll be fair. I might look into the S7 if my S3 continue to run well on Marshmallow.

All that bloatware is just yuck. This was never a problem in Windows Phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol, insider app doesn't load either, can't change registration, looks like I don't have a choice but to wait until the next fast ring build. Back to this battery murdering G4. Dammit.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So I have this weird thing going on (Lumia 950XL), my background is just the color black. Nothing else, just now something weird happened. When in the home menu and swiping right to open up all the apps etc. The background changes of color. It becomes this grayish color. And that is the only thing that sets if off. Swipe to the left to go to the home screen and it's still that grayish color. But when I press the home button while I'm using an app it is just the black background once again. What to do?

Also, after opening an app from that list, pressing the return button brings me back to the list as it should, but with a black background and the names of the apps not visible (the icons are).

n64coder

Over at reddit.com, someone mentioned that Walmart has the 640 for $29. Confirmed that some of the stores have them while others were sold out.

Paganmoon

Firmware not available in Europe yet.

Lol, insider app doesn't load either, can't change registration, looks like I don't have a choice but to wait until the next fast ring build. Back to this battery murdering G4. Dammit.

Do the apps just insta-close for you?

And I'll say it again, replace your damned phone. It has to be easier getting it replaced than having to deal with all the shit you're getting with your phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Nope, isn't that just shit on Android (battery wise)?

I don't use Facebook on my phone (or at all really), but I do like the profile pictures it provides. I need the profile pictures.

Also, I probably can't live without getting notifications for group invites that don't actually exist every other bloody day.

Nope, isn't that just shit on Android (battery wise)?

I don't use Facebook on my phone (or at all really), but I do like the profile pictures it provides. I need the profile pictures.

Also, I probably can't live without getting notifications for group invites that don't actually exist every other bloody day.

I deleted Facebook and installed Facebook Lite. Done wonders for my Android phone's battery life.

Top Bottom