• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

M3d10n

I don't know why they even bothered. Most apps hit iOS first, so anyone with a multiplatform app would pick the iOS bridge over the Android bridge.

Furthermore, iOS' more restricted APIs and app lifecycle transfer over to Windows 10 much more easily than Android's quasi wild west. For example, the whole "activity" concept has no direct analogy on neither iOS nor Windows 10 Mobile.

hadareud

The Translator
Because it would have enabled apps to run with less work than the iOS bridge because they would have included the Android sub-system.

Unfortunately lastflower won't be able to comment, but I wonder whether the major build degradation that the early W10M builds suffered from were caused by the Android subsystem and whether that was a major contributing factor in them cancelling the bridge.

Technical problems being the main reason for getting rid of it would make more sense than the official explanation that one bridge is enough.

hwalker84

Lastflowers you should move back to Pittsburgh and join a more stable gig like Uber, Google, Duolingo, etc.

In all seriousness I hope you're ok and moving onto a project that's more stable.

strata8

Looking like I might finally have to switch to Android after like... 4 years? Started with a Samsung Omnia 7 on the original WP7 in early 2011, saw that through Mango and finally moved to WP8/8.1 with a Lumia 625 and then a Lumia 930. Shop told me that they can't repair my 930 (which they broke replacing the camera), so they're crediting back the original price of the purchase. I'm thinking of buying an LG G5 or something.

I'm a bit sad, it's always felt unique. Around when Mango released it used to destroy Android devices on the same specs. Didn't have the apps but it was perfect if you were just texting or browsing the internet.

I don't know why they even bothered. Most apps hit iOS first, so anyone with a multiplatform app would pick the iOS bridge over the Android bridge.

Furthermore, iOS' more restricted APIs and app lifecycle transfer over to Windows 10 much more easily than Android's quasi wild west. For example, the whole "activity" concept has no direct analogy on neither iOS nor Windows 10 Mobile.

Islandwood requires more hands-on effort to enable a working app. Astoria essentially might allow a developer to deliver a Windows App without changing a line of code, depending upon what sections of the API you're touching. I'm not gonna say much more, since not much is public, but Astoria was a very developer friendly way of moving to the platform at least in the very short term.

Unfortunately lastflower won't be able to comment, but I wonder whether the major build degradation that the early W10M builds suffered from were caused by the Android subsystem and whether that was a major contributing factor in them cancelling the bridge.

Maybe one day a book will be written about Windows 10 in much the same way Show Stopper! was written about Windows NT. Doubtful, but books like that are really interesting glimpses into the culture (or zeitgeist) around companies, products, managers, etc. Maybe it isn't so interesting to those out there with corporate experience, but as a relatively young peon....more should be made.

Lastflowers you should move back to Pittsburgh and join a more stable gig like Uber, Google, Duolingo, etc.

In all seriousness I hope you're ok and moving onto a project that's more stable.

Time to move back to Shady Side.

Thanks all, I had moved to a different team last year and am working on some other neat stuff--though not quite as technically incredible as Astoria. Seriously, I marvel at that project.

I can see why they cancelled the Android bridge. It was supposed to be an easy fix to the app gap, but it was limited to just win mobile, and since it required little to no effort from developers it would end up being a way to dump apps without really adding anything to the platform.

And then there were the performance and security issues that the android subsystem brought to the mix to add even more reasons.

I do think they should definitely give a shot to a bridge that's more like islanwood. I know the api coverage is probably way harder to do but it could bring some apps as well.

dLMN8R

From what was discussed publicly, Islandwood seems to make a lot more sense than Astoria for a pretty important reason - how universal it has the potential to be.

If Astoria only ever worked for phones, then a developer wouldn't be able to easily bring their Android apps to Desktop, or Xbox, or HoloLens, or whatever else comes in the future.

With Islandwood, there's more potential for a developer to be able to easily bring their app to every Windows-based device, instead of just Mobile. Sure it requires extra work for the developer, but the end result is likely much more impactful.

Zeknurn

It doesn't matter how robust or easy it is to port your app to Windows when there's simply not a big enough userbase to warrant the upkeep and support cost.

I'd rather have emulated android apps than no apps or released in beta and abandoned apps.

It doesn't matter how robust or easy it is to port your app to Windows when there's simply not a big enough userbase to warrant the upkeep and support cost.

I'd rather have emulated android apps than no apps or released in beta and abandoned apps.

Yeah, but you could argue that devs see less opportunity right now in Windows Mobile than Desktop and Xbox (admittedly a pretty narrow type of apps for the Xbox though). Satya even said as much with their Universal app strategy to get apps on Mobile, that desktop was the biggest opportunity for developers, but universal apps make it very easy to also release a mobile version if they make a desktop version.

Paganmoon

Just cause I haven't complained today, I'll just say this.

You know what really irks me about the Windows platform right now? Microsoft has fucking localized all help pages online, and the phone assistant help on Windows 10 (PC) for Cortana to Swedish, but the service itself, nope.

I'd love to hear the thought there. Sure one could say localizing some text is cheap, or even free with software, but why even bother when the service isn't available, it's just another kick in the fucking teeth.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Did a hard reset, now everything works, including Edge on neogaf! Had no issues typing out this message, spaces were added correctly between words. Pretty sweet.

I hated doing another hard reset, but you know what I hated even more than that? The battery life on my G4. Love the device, but I can't stand that.

Also, going back to that camera after using the 930 for a while, I have to say that it just isn't as good. Details just not as crisp. Very good camera, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't like doing hard resets because it takes so much time to get everything back to how I like it, but it seems like every few builds it's going to be necessary.

M3d10n

Yeah, going thorough preview build to preview build after upgrading from 8.1 does take a toll. A lot of my issues are gone after a factory reset.

I think my Lumia 925 finally kicked the bucket after becoming more and more unresponsive every day. It locked again while browsing GAF, I did the hard reset and now it's stuck on the NOKIA splash screen. Welp.

Paganmoon

I don't like doing hard resets because it takes so much time to get everything back to how I like it, but it seems like every few builds it's going to be necessary.

Hmm, haven't had to do any hard resets yet (thankfully). Guess I've been lucky, the troubles I've had have been few, and passing. The apps not launching self-healed, and the random reboots have only ever happened at night.

I'd be thouroghly pissed if I had to hard reset every now and then, setting up authenticators from scratch ain't fun.

Question about Twitter apps.

My preferred app used to be MeTweets, but they stopped development quite a while back, no support for the new RT system.
Then I went to Peregrin, worked fine, but it didn't have support for the new RT system either, and iirc hasn't been updated in a while.
So after a recommendation I saw here, I got Fenice, it seems to have developers working on it, it can handle the new RT system, but when I select a tweet, it does not show the conversation chain (which both the other apps did), that is, it does not show replies to the tweet I selected. Neither does it remember my position in the timeline.

So, question is, is there any app that actually does all that I'm looking for from a Twitter app?
New RT system support.
Shows conversation chain when selecting a tweet.
Remembers position in timeline

Hmm Band 2 for $175, might have to grab that.

I only hesitate because like the Band 1 it's not running Win 10 and the Band 1's software support was dead the minute the Band 2 released (which is uncharacteristic for MSFT). I fear the same thing will happen with the Band 2 assuming the third iteration runs Win 10.

clav

Metro died a while ago.

I'm not even sure if Microsoft has a coherent design language anymore.

I still can't forgive them for the shitty 3d flip animation in the live tiles.

The fact that Xbox One controller dedicates a hamburger menu button validates that.

Update: I held down the volume and power until it restarted like 15 times in a row, then the exclamation mark came up and now it won't turn on anymore at all. I guess that solves the "not going off" thing but not sure if this is better

hadareud

The Translator
Well it's much quicker than a hard reset.

I always use the tool now if I have to reset. Luckily hasn't happened in a while.

Well it's much quicker than a hard reset.

I always use the tool now if I have to reset. Luckily hasn't happened in a while.

Yeah, actually that's a no-go too: the Lumia reset tool doesn't support non-Microsoft branded phones and the Nokia recovery tool cannot do the operation because you cannot force the update (which you can on the Lumia tool) because my PC doesn't recognize it.

Maybe one can force flash it but otherwise it's just an expensive paper weight

Paganmoon

I have a 930 paperweight, I'm going to try to take it to the Puerto Rico MS store this summer. Then sell it.

Since you're going to a MS store, make sure to bring your 950 as well :)

Thanks for asking Fenice devs about Conversation chain btw.

Edit: BB-8 app available for Windows 10 mobile! Yey!

Microsoft Health app on WP finally uses the phone's motion data to log steps. On Android, the Health app is still behind and lacks that feature.

Microsoft Health app on WP finally uses the phone's motion data to log steps. On Android, the Health app is still behind and lacks that feature.
It's pretty baffling that they removed the old Health & Fitness app from the Store months before they added device motion data to the Health app.
March 1, day of the embargo-lift. Any final guesses?
It's a spring games lineup showcase, keep expectations in check, I doubt there will be some major announcements.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Finally got a 950, and somehow windows ten still has these annoying notification problems when I had the beta on my 820 9 months ago

It fucking blows my mind that I can not 100% mute text ever. When I am in messaging app it would still make sound despite I have turned the messaging sound off.

I have to manually turn off the volume.

Seriously since 1 year I am trying to figure this shit out and I refuse to believe that current smartphone OS wont let me mute text msges.

It fucking blows my mind that I can not 100% mute text ever. When I am in messaging app it would still make sound despite I have turned the messaging sound off.

I have to manually turn off the volume.

Seriously since 1 year I am trying to figure this shit out and I refuse to believe that current smartphone OS wont let me mute text msges.

its simple small problems like this that dont get fixed, I dont get it did they lose all their budget and can only focus on huge problems?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When it works, it's all beautiful. When it fails, it can be spectacularly bad. Recording a one minute performance at my daughter's school, the video is corrupted. Then, while the stilt walkers moved near my daughter, the camera refused to load. Couldn't get a shot. I took incredible pictures, but the ones I couldn't get I regret. She is due up soon to perform, say a small prayer that my camera loads and then that the footage isn't lost.

Paganmoon

When it works, it's all beautiful. When it fails, it can be spectacularly bad. Recording a one minute performance at my daughter's school, the video is corrupted. Then, while the stilt walkers moved near my daughter, the camera refused to load. Couldn't get a shot. I took incredible pictures, but the ones I couldn't get I regret. She is due up soon to perform, say a small prayer that my camera loads and then that the footage isn't lost.

Get it replaced dude, please, if not for yourself, do it for me. This is not an OS issue, your phone has HW issues.

Get it replaced dude, please, if not for yourself, do it for me. This is not an OS issue, your phone has HW issues.

My 950 would do the same thing. Weird issues processing images if I took more than 4 back to back, video skipping a frame within the first five seconds, sometimes video not even recording.

MS Camera needs a shit ton of work. Also, does W10 have a native panorama function yet?

Paganmoon

My 950 would do the same thing. Weird issues processing images if I took more than 4 back to back, video skipping a frame within the first five seconds, sometimes video not even recording.

MS Camera needs a shit ton of work. Also, does W10 have a native panorama function yet?

had my 950 with me on my vacation, didn't break one image, and all videos shot worked fine, Camera app launched without issues, over a 3 week vacation. I'd been fucking furious if this had happened.

Top Bottom