• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

When it works, it's all beautiful. When it fails, it can be spectacularly bad. Recording a one minute performance at my daughter's school, the video is corrupted. Then, while the stilt walkers moved near my daughter, the camera refused to load. Couldn't get a shot. I took incredible pictures, but the ones I couldn't get I regret. She is due up soon to perform, say a small prayer that my camera loads and then that the footage isn't lost.
Take a second phone for back up recording.

Too bad your 930 is out of action.

He could still use the G4 for that.

Man, I really kinda want a G4, but it would be such a sidegrade, compared to my Nexus 5. But they're so cheap, starting at 350 off-contract. The lack of Glance would probably be the only annoying thing.

Are you saving to the SD card? I used to have problems with video stuttering when saved to SD that went away when saving to internal memory. WP8 though.

clav

Bought a Lumia 640. Still waiting for it to ship.

Man, I really kinda want a G4, but it would be such a sidegrade, compared to my Nexus 5. But they're so cheap, starting at 350 off-contract. The lack of Glance would probably be the only annoying thing.

G4 has some sort of hardware reliability issue as it breaks within an year.

Paganmoon

And just cause of my post, my 950 just hardlocked at the Glance screen, refused to wake up at all.

Had to soft-reset to get it to work again.

Edit: now I noticed the clock on my phone is over an hour behind, not exactly 1 hour, so not time zone setting messing about. The fuck is going on?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Yeah, should've thought about a backup phone, sad that it's the state of the OS on my phone. The firmware update that at&t hasn't delivered is what I believe will fix many of the camera issues.

If you lived in the US I'd sell it to you for cheap. Aside from android battery drain, good phone.

Also, wanted to watch the videos on my tv through continuum but navigating using the phone as a touchpad is busted on this new build.

Are you saving to the SD card? I used to have problems with video stuttering when saved to SD that went away when saving to internal memory. WP8 though.

Yes, I did try internal for a bit she got similar results.

So for a long while now, my Icon would lose its internet connection after a number of hours of inactivity (i.e. I put the phone down and don't interact with it for hours, like overnight), which means that the browser, email and any app that uses the internet wouldn't load any info. Also if I scrolled down the home screen, it would lock once it reaches a certain point. This was so annoying, that I actually replaced it once, free of charge.

It has been doing this for so long, that I forgot when it started.

Then in this past two weeks, when I reset the phone (which seems to be the only thing that fixed the problem), the phone would go into a reboot loop, and would never fully boot to the lock screen. This happened twice. I never found out what made this happened, nor how I got past it. It took dozens of restarts before it finally worked.

I was really getting frustrated, and thinking about replacing the phone entirely, but I finally thought of a solution, at least for the internet locking problem. It's a peculiar one, and one I think only I encountered (as I looked everywhere online and no one else seemingly experienced this).

I was using two different clock apps on the home screen, Clock Hub and Analog Clock Tile. Both had live tiles, and I noticed that when the internet stopped working the Clock Hub tile would lock at the exact time it stopped working. Every time I would check and try to browse or something and it didn't work. Then I'd reset the phone. Also, separately I noticed that the Analog Clock live tile would stop working randomly, but this didn't coincide with the Clock Hub internet issue. I decided to delete Analog Clock Tile, as it was acting up more and was a little redundant. Boom, issue seems resolved now. I feel like a fool for not trying this months ago. I don't know what about having two clock apps on the home screen made the internet stop working, but there you go.

KageMaru

Well my two years with Verizon and the Icon are done so now I'm torn. I love the platform but I didn't think the OS would be in such a poor state this far in 2016.

There's no excuse for the smaller issues like those found with the keyboard. Suggestive text is horrible, rarely giving me words that make sense in context of the sentence. The spacing issue should not still exist and making posts on GAF with multiple quotes is a pain in the ass because every time and I try to advance to the next line, it shoots me to the bottom of my post.

This is only a small part of the problems with the OS and MS really need to get their shit together. I've been on WP since the early WP7 days and I'm considering moving over to the G5 now.

NeOak

Well my two years with Verizon and the Icon are done so now I'm torn. I love the platform but I didn't think the OS would be in such a poor state this far in 2016.

There's no excuse for the smaller issues like those found with the keyboard. Suggestive text is horrible, rarely giving me words that make sense in context of the sentence. The spacing issue should not still exist and making posts on GAF with multiple quotes is a pain in the ass because every time and I try to advance to the next line, it shoots me to the bottom of my post.

This is only a small part of the problems with the OS and MS really need to get their shit together. I've been on WP since the early WP7 days and I'm considering moving over to the G5 now.

Didn't the last version fixed that? I think a hard reset is your next step

The Microsoft Band 2 is $175.

I've Been wanting one for a while, are they worth it?
Yes.

KageMaru

Didn't the last version fixed that? I think a hard reset is your next step

I thought the spacing issue was fixed in the newer builds exclusive to the 950/XL.

I'll try a reset when I get home, thanks for the heads up.

So the plan to update the phone firmware through the insider program will not apply to the at&t version. Fml

That's both surprising and super disappointing. So there's nothing stopping any other carrier from blocking firmware distributed through the insider program.

Updated to .122 this afternoon and the icons on the tab page in Edge on my 1520 are larger now. That's a nice change, they were small enough that it was difficult to close tabs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rolled back and got the new slow build. So far seems good. Im not getting the weird double spacing in Edge when typing.

anyone find any Qi pads or adapters I can put into my knockoff blue and orange shells for my 950? I dont want to rip out the one from my OEM battery covery for this

I am really hoping that someone in this thread can help me with a problem I am having. I live in Las Vegas now are growing up in Philly all my life and one of the things that I really miss is following the Phillies. Well last year I decided to try out MLB Radio on my phone through the MLB AT Bat app and it worked great. For only $20 I could listen to all the Phils games. So this year I renewed my subscription but I found out yesterday that the MLB AT Bat app has been pulled from the windows mobile store, along with the 3rd party app that I also used last year. I already contacted MLB about this but they have not replied yet. It is weird because there is a Windows 10 version on MLB AT Bat in the windows store. Does anyone know if they will make it so that all Windows 10 apps will work on phone at some point in the near future, or if there is some other way to get MLB Radio on windows phones? I am seriously thinking about switching phones over this but I really love WP so I would rather not have to.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am really hoping that someone in this thread can help me with a problem I am having. I live in Las Vegas now are growing up in Philly all my life and one of the things that I really miss is following the Phillies. Well last year I decided to try out MLB Radio on my phone through the MLB AT Bat app and it worked great. For only $20 I could listen to all the Phils games. So this year I renewed my subscription but I found out yesterday that the MLB AT Bat app has been pulled from the windows mobile store, along with the 3rd party app that I also used last year. I already contacted MLB about this but they have not replied yet. It is weird because there is a Windows 10 version on MLB AT Bat in the windows store. Does anyone know if they will make it so that all Windows 10 apps will work on phone at some point in the near future, or if there is some other way to get MLB Radio on windows phones? I am seriously thinking about switching phones over this but I really love WP so I would rather not have to.

Last year they had dropped it then brought it back, I'm hoping it isn't killed for good this time.

ElNino

Had to use the recovery tool to go all the way back, the go to slow. Think I will stay in this ring.
Ok, I was afraid of that but I'm considering it as well. I'm finding odd issues with my 950XL on Fast Ring (Cortana no longer speaks SMS messages via Bluetooth in the car, weird issues with background agents) so I'm thinking of going back to the release or slow rings.

Last year they had dropped it then brought it back, I'm hoping it isn't killed for good this time.

I am so worried. I thought that the point of universal apps was to make it super easy to port them to phone. This is an app that was on phone last year and is on windows 10 now. Someone just needs to flip a switch and make it happen.

Sordid

Has anyone here owned a Lumia 1520? Is it a good phone (and is it any good on Win 10 if you've tried it)? I managed to get a cheap one, it's in the post just now. I'm hoping it's tons better than the 630 I've been stuck with since my 920 started acting up!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am so worried. I thought that the point of universal apps was to make it super easy to port them to phone. This is an app that was on phone last year and is on windows 10 now. Someone just needs to flip a switch and make it happen.

I wish there was universal apps for NHL as well :(

Really hope rthe MLB steps up.

Also, I'm doing this post using the continuum dock which finally arrived. Using the dock connected to my 1080p TV with a USB mouse and Bluetooth keyboard. So far it is really impressive.

People weren't joking about the weight of the display dock. Quite heavy haha. Nice build quality.

NeOak

Has anyone here owned a Lumia 1520? Is it a good phone (and is it any good on Win 10 if you've tried it)? I managed to get a cheap one, it's in the post just now. I'm hoping it's tons better than the 630 I've been stuck with since my 920 started acting up!

I have it. It is a great phone once you get used to the size.

I don't recommend installing Windows 10 on it. I did and it was a mess starting with atrocious battery life and heating up all the time.

Instead, install Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2. If you have a variant that doesn't have it (like AT&T's) then follow this guide: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html

I have it. It is a great phone once you get used to the size.

I don't recommend installing Windows 10 on it. I did and it was a mess starting with atrocious battery life and heating up all the time.

Instead, install Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2. If you have a variant that doesn't have it (like AT&T's) then follow this guide: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html
FWIW, I use win 10 on my 1520 and I'm not having issues (battery life is roughly the same as on 8.1).

It's the best phone I ever owned. Never put Windows 10 on it though.

Sordid

Just realised it's an AT&T phone I've bought, 3G should work in the UK but 4G won't. That'll be why it was so cheap I suppose. Not a huge deal really, 3G will do me fine.

Ooooh sounds good, cheers for the link! Think I'll try Win 10 first but if it's rubbish I'll do that.

clav

Just realised it's an AT&T phone I've bought, 3G should work in the UK but 4G won't. That'll be why it was so cheap I suppose. Not a huge deal really, 3G will do me fine.

Ooooh sounds good, cheers for the link! Think I'll try Win 10 first but if it's rubbish I'll do that.

What carrier are you using in the UK?

clav

On Three atm.

Three uses Band 3 and 20 for LTE.

That sucks. At least you have Band 1 currently used for 3G.

I wonder why a lot of these American phones exclude Band 3 when so many international countries use them. Some say blame the FCC for not auctioning off more spectrum although it has to balance what bands the government and telecoms can use.

At the same time, why don't these countries use Band 1,2, 4, and 5?

Top Bottom