• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

Any way to turn off all Facebook notifications? Disabled them in the app, but I'm still getting god damn notifications somehow.

Edit: and apparently Windows Insiders can now get firmware updates without having to change to production, or reset their device. But I'm still not seeing a firmware update...
Edit2: also can't seem to start Advaned info app under Extras at all

WTF Bluetooth audio just fucking shit the bed out of nowhere. In the car on the way to work everything is fine. Suddenly on the way back everything still plays but at horrible sound quality, sounds like an AM radio playing underwater.

Edit: Lol turning the car off and on again fixed the problem

Sordid

The 1520 is awesome! No issues running Windows 10 on it so far. Edge and the camera absolutely murder the battery though, it gets quite hot when I'm taking pictures.

Edit: 1 issue actually, I'm getting Skype notifications through the Messaging app and the Skype app. Is there any way to force it just to use messaging? Probably not great for the battery if it's fetching every message twice.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 1520 is awesome! No issues running Windows 10 on it so far. Edge and the camera absolutely murder the battery though, it gets quite hot when I'm taking pictures.

Edit: 1 issue actually, I'm getting Skype notifications through the Messaging app and the Skype app. Is there any way to force it just to use messaging? Probably not great for the battery if it's fetching every message twice.

Just delete the old skype app. I don't think you need it really.

NeOak

Just delete the old skype app. I don't think you need it really.
Or sign out in the messaging app. It's under options.

joshschw

So at some point in either an OS or a Camera update - Microsoft removed the 60fps recording option on my HTC M8. Rather bummed about it as it was awesome....

clav

Wow this Lumia 640 is really nice for the money.

Gorilla Glass 3.

720p.

Sleek feel.

Replaceable battery + covers.

MicroSD expansion slot.

Now I've got the 805a8011 error trying to open the store app. Is my only recourse a total fresh restart like I've read online? I'm away on a trip and can't afford to mess with my phone right now.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wow this Lumia 640 is really nice for the money.

Gorilla Glass 3.

720p.

Sleek feel.

Replaceable battery + covers.

MicroSD expansion slot.

Agree, I bought one in December. It has been great.

Now I've got the 805a8011 error trying to open the store app. Is my only recourse a total fresh restart like I've read online? I'm away on a trip and can't afford to mess with my phone right now.

Are you installing on your SD card? Any app in particular or all apps?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It won't load on my 930.

Also, the Google Hangouts win10 app launched by a third party actually works well, I have one friend that uses the service and I couldn't find an app that worked well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I had some trouble installing it and it crashed the first time, but it works ok now. You can "force touch" your photos in your profile, lol

derFeef

Did I already say I like the 950s camera?
It's pretty good.

25224208589_529b45e47b_k.jpg

25296139400_ae07eb67e6_k.jpg

25224269459_dbdac6fe69_k.jpg

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm finally upgrading from my Nokia 920 to an S7. It was bittersweet the last 3 and a half years ... Such great hardware such poor apps. My Nokia 920's low light camera though has consistently been one of the best mobile cameras I ever used with many current phones just starting to get to the same level. I also loved wireless charging, again a feature way before its time.

My phone itself is still going strong, I bet the battery would give out before the phone, but the s7's siren song has finally convinced me it's time to upgrade. Gonna miss windows OS on my phone though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
maybe time to sidegrade from the 1020

It's damn amazing. At first, I thought it was on par with the G4, but when I used the G4 again for a week as my daily driver, I realized I was wrong, the 950 is flat better in the camera department. I'm going to pull together a quick comparison pic of iphone 6s vs. 950, because either my wife's 6s is defective, or the 950 is on another tier in terms of camera performance.

kazinova

I think the 950 is just that good. I've gotten serious camera envy the couple times I've borrowed my wife's 950XL to take a picture for her.

I'm still holding onto my 1520 until it doesn't work anymore or a suitable upgrade presents itself.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Maybe I'm dumb, but it feels like UWP is the end point here. They will improve it just like iOS and android, but I don't foresee another reboot after two years like the previous versions of WP app development.

Maybe I'm dumb, but it feels like UWP is the end point here. They will improve it just like iOS and android, but I don't foresee another reboot after two years like the previous versions of WP app development.

It's always the future, until it's not. Silverlight and .net come to mind.

To be fair, those were languages. UWP is more of a container and you can shove stuff in there that doesn't even belong in it (see: Win32 games).

But then your app isn't even universal anymore, so the only thing you've achieved is the upload to the Store, which is equal to sending it to die.

JaggedSac

To be fair, those were languages. UWP is more of a container and you can shove stuff in there that doesn't even belong in it (see: Win32 games).

But then your app isn't even universal anymore, so the only thing you've achieved is the upload to the Store, which is equal to sending it to die.

.net is used in pretty much everything MS does.

MCD

I don't know man. Universal apps are the best thing to come out of Win10. Smooth and can handle big ass apps like Gears and Tomb Raider. That is impressive by itself.

I really love UWP but just wish there is more push.

I guess it's not the Universal aspect that I love. More like how they perform and the much needed APIs they bring.

nillapuddin

950 ACQUIRED

YvuEwApl.png

Its all downhill from here right?

Any good tuts on getting the best picture quality or any other useful stuff to know for a new 950 owner?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I don't know man. Universal apps are the best thing to come out of Win10. Smooth and can handle big ass apps like Gears and Tomb Raider. That is impressive by itself.

I really love UWP but just wish there is more push.

I guess it's not the Universal aspect that I love. More like how they perform and the much needed APIs they bring.
Universal apps are great, when they exist. But MS themselves don't even follow the push. For instance, there's MS Health app, which works on your phone syncs your band, updates your band etc. However to even view any of the data on your computer you have to go to the MS Health website. How do you expect other developers to build universal apps when MS themselves don't do it?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Welcome friend to the phone version of fable legends. Enjoy your stay! The camera takes great photos on auto, you don't need to do anything special.

Also, why is brot being such an asshole about creating the WM10 OT?!?! We'll even give in to his ridiculous demands about having no subtitles. Acting like he's too busy with his 1.5hr SOT, potato cam having 5x. C'mon man.

you my boy brot

JaggedSac

Universal apps are great, when they exist. But MS themselves don't even follow the push. For instance, there's MS Health app, which works on your phone syncs your band, updates your band etc. However to even view any of the data on your computer you have to go to the MS Health website. How do you expect other developers to build universal apps when MS themselves don't do it?

You got the url for that? Just got a band and the only site I found was the HealthVault site and that doesn't seem useful.

Top Bottom