• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, it's a bit weird.

I'm going back to the pre-Redstone release. I've been seeing a few bugs in the first Redstone build (audio controls not working properly for instance) that are a bit annoying.

Paganmoon

Mine's been acting up when I try to wake it up, I see the Iris Scanner light up, but the screen never leaves Glance, sometimes, it works by just pressing the power button again (twice), other times, it gets stuck there and I have to soft-reset to get it to work.

Strangely, the screen not waking up is a common issue I've had with my SP4 as well (Enterprise version, not on any preview rings).

Overall the Redstone build is a bit glitchy, and needs som more love from Microsoft.

derFeef

Mine's been acting up when I try to wake it up, I see the Iris Scanner light up, but the screen never leaves Glance, sometimes, it works by just pressing the power button again (twice), other times, it gets stuck there and I have to soft-reset to get it to work.

Strangely, the screen not waking up is a common issue I've had with my SP4 as well (Enterprise version, not on any preview rings).

Overall the Redstone build is a bit glitchy, and needs som more love from Microsoft.

Yup, same issues.

Sordid

Downloading the new build now. Can I get living images on my 1520 running Win 10? Lumia Camera doesn't work anymore and the default camera app doesn't have much options in it. Can you still tap the screen to take a photo as well? So lost, maybe I should've stuck with 8.1 for a while!

It looks like I'm getting a company Galaxy S7.

It was good to know you, WP-GAF :(

Like I said, no real person uses a Windows Phone.

But seriously, the S7 looks like a great phone, despite the bland design and glass back. Seems like they caught up with 2012/13 Nokia, in terms of little useful gimmicks (double-tap to wake, glance, wireless charging).

Looks like it's my next phone, if bombs as bad as the S6.

Paganmoon

But seriously, the S7 looks like a great phone, despite the bland design and glass back. Seems like they caught up with 2012/13 Nokia, in terms of little useful gimmicks (double-tap to wake, glance, wireless charging).

I'm real god damnit!

kharma45

The S7E looks an incredible phone.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The S7E looks an incredible phone.

I've been toying around a review unit for the past few days.

It is.

It's basically the glass-metal version of my adored 920 in terms of "must have features". It's got Qi, glance, an incredible display and the best camera on the market, all of that with no evident compromises.

No Android phone until the S7 had managed to converge all those things, which is the sole reason I remained firlmy on the WP camp. But specially now that Windows 10 turned out to be a hot mess. I'm only annoyed because I'm a huge Surface Pro whore and I wanted to give the Surface Phone a fair chance.

I'll be getting the flat screen model if I'm allowed to pick versions. The Edge is pretty, but the flat one is better shaped and sized, IMO.

It is.

It's basically the glass-metal version of my adored 920 in terms of "must have features". It's got Qi, glance, an incredible display and the best camera on the market, all of that with no evident compromises.

No Android phone until the S7 had managed to converge all those things, which is the sole reason I remained firlmy on the WP camp. But specially now that Windows 10 turned out to be a hot mess. I'm only annoyed because I'm a huge Surface Pro whore and I wanted to give the Surface Phone a fair chance.

I'll be getting the flat screen model if I'm allowed to pick versions. The Edge is pretty, but the flat one is better shaped and sized, IMO.

Are you going to get a case for it?

I'm real god damnit!

As real as the WP market share.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Are you going to get a case for it?
I like to live dangerously, so no.

This may be the only thing that I'll miss about my 920, though. That thing took the craziest bumps you could imagine and it kept chugging along until I busted its SIM tray. Its corners are actually rounded from all the times I dropped it.

8dJwojQ.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, it's a bit weird.

I'm going back to the pre-Redstone release. I've been seeing a few bugs in the first Redstone build (audio controls not working properly for instance) that are a bit annoying.

How do I do that? I switched oh the insider app but it won't change me back.

Also, is it true that the SD implementation on the S7 is different than the one used in Marshmallow that makes it all one memory pool?

nillapuddin

MLB.TV, please come soon :'(

Also, obviously only 2 days in, but no problems at all (950)
Should I just stay on the updates it allows me to get, or get back on the dev preview?

This may be the only thing that I'll miss about my 920, though. That thing took the craziest bumps you could imagine and it kept chugging along until I busted its SIM tray. Its corners are actually rounded from all the times I dropped it.

8dJwojQ.jpg
Fuck my 920 would have kept chugging if it wasn't for the sim slot too. I even ran my 920 over with my car accidentally and it survived.

8dJwojQ.jpg

Damn, sometimes I forget just how good the 920 looked.

Android N looks amazing, guys. I'm afraid there's no turning back. Can't wait to have it in two years on my S7. I'm pumped!

Not that good on that particular occasion ;)

No, it really is amazing for me. It learned every little thing, even all user names from gaffes who I interact with on a regular basis, just because their names appear in the quoted part of the text field. There's a reason Microsoft bought them.

kGAgfs8.jpg

It's typing that the WP phone keyboard does better, imo. And I'm a little afraid they're going to screw it up during the porting process. Did anyone here use the iOS version?

Liberty4all

Banned

It is.

Making me really happy to hear you say this as I'm upgrading from my 920 and felt the same particularly regarding camera and Qi. The 920 was such great hardware considering it released in 2012.

n64coder

Outlook Mail on Win 10 Mobile is total garbage. Doesn't sync regularly and crashes all the time.

Is this the built-in Mail client for Win 10 mobile? If so, I haven't had any issues with it. It's a big improvement over W8.1. I especially like the integrated inbox.

ElNino

Recovery tool, then slow ring.

Did it this morning, the only pain was that my steps and calories up that point disappeared from my band/MS health.
How much of your stuff was recovered when you went back with the recover tool? Particularly SMS messages?

I'm on Fast Ring still and there are some things now working now (Cortana Bluetooth SMS and notifications to my Band), so I'm thinking of going back to the Release Preview ring. However, I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno and I've got a lot of messages/images from my designer/contractor/wife that I'd rather not lose by resetting.

I just enabled the sync messages option in the messaging app, but I've never used that setting before so I'm not sure if my messages will be synced back after I do the reset.

Paganmoon

SMS will get synced back, but it can take a very long time (several days at worst) for all of them to get synced back to the phone after a reset or if you switch phones and so on.

ElNino

SMS will get synced back, but it can take a very long time (several days at worst) for all of them to get synced back to the phone after a reset or if you switch phones and so on.
Ok, cool... maybe I'll give it shot this weekend while the wife and kids are away.

Paganmoon

Ok, cool... maybe I'll give it shot this weekend while the wife and kids are away.

Though, if you just enabled SMS sync/backup, I'm not sure how long it's going to take for it to send it all to the cloud. The SMS backup/restore function is slow as hell for some strange reason.

ElNino

Though, if you just enabled SMS sync/backup, I'm not sure how long it's going to take for it to send it all to the cloud. The SMS backup/restore function is slow as hell for some strange reason.
Are SMS messages backed up through the normal phone backup, or only through the messaging app? I think they used to be backed up through the app in WP8, which always broke my MS account syncing and was why I had is off before.

Now, in W10M there is no option to backup anymore, just to sync and it doesn't seem to break my MS account when I enable it.

Is this the built-in Mail client for Win 10 mobile? If so, I haven't had any issues with it. It's a big improvement over W8.1. I especially like the integrated inbox.
Doesn't it use Microsoft Word to render HTML? That should already make it much worse than the 8.1 version, especially when iOS mail exists.

hadareud

The Translator
How much of your stuff was recovered when you went back with the recover tool? Particularly SMS messages?

I'm on Fast Ring still and there are some things now working now (Cortana Bluetooth SMS and notifications to my Band), so I'm thinking of going back to the Release Preview ring. However, I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno and I've got a lot of messages/images from my designer/contractor/wife that I'd rather not lose by resetting.

I just enabled the sync messages option in the messaging app, but I've never used that setting before so I'm not sure if my messages will be synced back after I do the reset.

All my messages are there. There's a few apps that require you to log in again and that don't back anything up, but the vast majority do. Games, less so.

Top Bottom