• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

All my messages are there. There's a few apps that require you to log in again and that don't back anything up, but the vast majority do. Games, less so.
Sounds good. Game saves don't bother me at all, apps should mostly be fine but I'll probably go and make sure I manually backup some apps.

HdJTzts.png

close enough I guess

also http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160H1TE2/?tag=neogaf0e-20 is quality, and Windows Hello still works

Its been very solid for a couple months now. You could argue the update process, especially from 8.1 is very bad, but the OS is very good and blows away wp8.1

I am on a 950 and I regularly have big glitches

I just had one where the call speaker wasnt working, had to restart. was working on speaker but not handset.

also the facebook app managed to get worse even though it added a couple much needed features.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted so many times and all the posts in facebook are blank cept a handful.

Paganmoon

I am on a 950 and I regularly have big glitches

I just had one where the call speaker wasnt working, had to restart. was working on speaker but not handset.

also the facebook app managed to get worse even though it added a couple much needed features.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted so many times and all the posts in facebook are blank cept a handful.

Just for reference, are you on the official releases or on any of the preview rings?

How is the music app on 10 for handling music saved to SD card?

In the end Music from 8.1 never had all of the features it had in 8.0. Like, I got used to it and didn't think about it for awhile because I was just waiting for an update indefinitely, but this was ridiculous. Never got artist pictures on the lockscreen, never got artist or album pictures for the live tile, after finally paring down all of the duplicate artist names and adding artwork with MPAtool in 8.0 that was all erased in 8.1.

So is music in 10 a shitshow at all right now?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Even with all the issues, I'd take WM 10 any day over 8.1, although a big part of that is the fact that it's no longer being improved.

Paganmoon

Well then, here's hoping future updates will fix the issues. Not sure how stable the slow ring updates are, but could be something to check out if the issues are major, for you.

But seriously, with the issues VanMardigan has had (which apparently isn't that uncommon), with the issues I've had (minor and major ones, while on official releases, can't count fast ring as that's my own choosing, being a beta tester), I'm surprised Microsoft isn't bleeding more users than they are.

Also, I really don't get why they've branched 10586 and Redstone, I mean I get it, 2 different releases, but why spend dev-time on 10586, and not put all effort in the Redstone update to get it perfect, what's to gain from splitting your work force like this?

Well then, here's hoping future updates will fix the issues. Not sure how stable the slow ring updates are, but could be something to check out if the issues are major, for you.

But seriously, with the issues VanMardigan has had (which apparently isn't that uncommon), with the issues I've had (minor and major ones, while on official releases, can't count fast ring as that's my own choosing, being a beta tester), I'm surprised Microsoft isn't bleeding more users than they are.

Also, I really don't get why they've branched 10586 and Redstone, I mean I get it, 2 different releases, but why spend dev-time on 10586, and not put all effort in the Redstone update to get it perfect, what's to gain from splitting your work force like this?

Ongoing fixes to the current version of Windows have always been support MSFT has provided, and in the case of mobile, 10586 has still not been released to 8.1 devices.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Apps platform and all the uwp apps coming out, speed, capabilities?

Photos app still is a downgrade though.

In every way.

Use 10 for a few days and then go back to 8.1. It feels like stepping back in time.

yea no.

I wish, but no. I'm honestly about to jump ship to a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. I can get all my microsoft stuff synced onto an android and likely a better experience on android than on microsofts on OS? Yea...

Paganmoon

Latest Redstone build, tried opening Outlook from notification, phone rebooted. First time it's done this while in use.

Redstone stability going the wrong way so far.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'd like to get off Redstone, but having a hard time getting the large reset image off the recovery tool. It's working fine for me so far, but the lack of band sync stinks.

Honestly, we should just ban Brot from here until he makes the new thread.

Believe me, a new thread by me wouldn't be what you think it would be. I literally know nothing about Windows 10 Mobile, other that it's based on Windows 10. Those days are over.

Now, a beautiful material design Android OT...

nillapuddin

okay, I need links to that replacement case

PRONTO!

All my GF has ever wanted was a cyan WP and through 1020 -> 635 -> 640 -> 950 it has always alluded her!

Edit: wait, is that one of those 4 buck Japanese ones?

Also day 3ish update

Nicks 950:
perfect, no crashes, no buggy apps, everything transferred perfectly

GF 950:
System updates didnt take, apps crashing, log-ins not working, hard reset and same results on effort #2, ughhhh

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Believe me, a new thread by me wouldn't be what you think it would be. I literally know nothing about Windows 10 Mobile, other that it's based on Windows 10. Those days are over.

Now, a beautiful material design Android OT...

I actually think you would really enjoy using a 950, when it works the damn thing is so enjoyable and I like that you can tweak so many things but at the same time the core experience is hassle free. But, unfortunately, as you can see below....

GF 950:
System updates didnt take, apps crashing, log-ins not working, hard reset and same results on effort #2, ughhhh

It's just too damn unpredictable what kind of experience you will get. Even for me, the updates swing wildly from amazing to wtf. I feel like I just need that damn firmware update that at&t is holding up and I'll be set on the slow ring. That should fix the camera video problems I'm having. But who knows if I'm ever getting it.

nillapuddin

The 650 is coming to the MS store in the US and Canada for $200.

30 bucks for a 640 or 200 for a 650. Easy call, 650 DOA.

(hyperbole because, well, we all know who we are)

I actually think you would really enjoy using a 950, when it works the damn thing is so enjoyable and I like that you can tweak so many things but at the same time the core experience is hassle free. But, unfortunately, as you can see below....

It's just too damn unpredictable what kind of experience you will get. Even for me, the updates swing wildly from amazing to wtf. I feel like I just need that damn firmware update that at&t is holding up and I'll be set on the slow ring. That should fix the camera video problems I'm having. But who knows if I'm ever getting it.

Yeah : /

I am really loving it so far, I feel crappy for her, Ive done everything to try and make it more seamless. Shes been having problems since 1020 tbh, she loves WP so much and it always seems to fight her.

Even after all that she would never give it up though, as a 20 something female with all iFriends, her willing sacrifice of snapchat and every other app ever that her friends are all talking about, shes the real hero.

n64coder

This is standard software development practice. We work on the latest release in development developing the new features. Bug fixes are put in the publicly available release as well as the one under development. Depending on the severity/priority of a bug, it sometimes only be fixed in the future release.

Ongoing fixes to the current version of Windows have always been support MSFT has provided, and in the case of mobile, 10586 has still not been released to 8.1 devices.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I am really loving it so far, I feel crappy for her, Ive done everything to try and make it more seamless. Shes been having problems since 1020 tbh, she loves WP so much and it always seems to fight her.

Even after all that she would never give it up though, as a 20 something female with all iFriends, her willing sacrifice of snapchat and every other app ever that her friends are all talking about, shes the real hero.

She's a keeper!

joshschw

As a last resort have you tried to flash it totally fresh via the PC recovery tool?
I think there's a basic third party Snapchat app now btw.

nillapuddin

As a last resort have you tried to flash it totally fresh via the PC recovery tool?
I think there's a basic third party Snapchat app now btw.

shes at work now, but over the weekend if it doesnt kick into gear then I might try that.

also pretty sure I saw on r/wp that app got blown up this week. I dont even bother mentioning them to her anymore

But nobody needs 1st party apps, when you have 3rd parties picking up the slack.

But with Islandwood there should be hope that it might come to WP after all.

650 will be $30 in about 8 months, judging by the path the 635 and 640 took.

Top Bottom