• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The One (M7) placed last in this:

http://www.gsmarena.com/six_way_camera_shootout-review-998p10.php

1. 1020
2. Note 3
3. Z1
4. G2
5. 5S
6. M7

Its Ultrapixel camera is somewhat of a one-trick pony that fares pretty poorly when lighting is good (which is actually most common). In the dark, the One's result were quite good - the videos especially - but unless all you do is record videos at bars and discos, there are better cameraphones you can have.

Is Sharp a WP OEM? This would look hot with some tiles.

8Mmm4vs.jpg

Hopefully the One puts some pressure on MS/Nokia to get the ball rolling on revealing new devices.

Anyone have any WP8 Dev experience that could point me in the direction of some good tutorials? Looking to build an app in my free time. I have a lot of .NET/C# experience so they don't necessarily need to be beginners resources.

Vyer

Is there a way to turn the Live Tiles that don't have the transparent background....uh, transparent?

Also, light background 4eva.

I must be the only one who doesn't like that Sharp. The outer bevel and plastic silver trim looks ass to me.

nah, I agree. Both the M8 and 830 in here look better than the Sharp IMO.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Verge's announcement page for the HTC One M8 with Windows has an interactive "which version should you buy" tool that's hilarious.

Commodore

Is Sharp a WP OEM? This would look hot with some tiles.

8Mmm4vs.jpg

Gives me a very Zune HD vibe. Really like the near bezel-less design. The idea of taking a picture and having the image nearly blend with the background? Sounds rad. I wonder if the engineering feat is significant to achieve the sort of screen to edge design. The back looks cheap though. There is a version of this design, done with hero phone level spec line and a better rear side design that could be something very very compelling. Its seems so rare for the phone design to come out that captures attention, so many of the phones that are releasing in the windows where my upgrade will be up are so bland and uninspiring, so I got to give Sharp some kudos here. Great design, give it a competitive spec bump, fix the rear of the phone and they might be on to something.

Herr K

Banned
It's better when you need CPU power for an app or for web browsing when it can use the 2 cores. But the OS will be just fine on either.

The whole Loading... Resuming... thing really bugs me on my 620, I'm trying to decide if the newer 6XX are worth upgrading to.

Paganmoon

Woke up to an update on my Lumia 1020 (dev preview), was hoping for Cyan, but it's apparently WP 8.1 update (8.10.14157.200). Not sure what it does yet.

Nero3000

So i got the free accessory pack for my 930.

Comes with a £20 app voucher - any recommendations for apps i should spend it on?

Good youtube and universal media app would be good. Some games i guess aswell.

Paganmoon

I think that update borked my battery, or atleast the indicator, had a full charge before running the update, now at 14% after the update. strange.

[edit] charged from 14-30 really quick, then from 30 to 44 it took a while, then it went straight to 100. stable as hell this.

Tablo

The Synology music streaming app is better than the built in music app lol. As far as I can tell anyways xD
I wish Windows Phone had native mkv support, it would make my new DS414 even crazier.
So happy Synology supports Windows phone :D

KageMaru

The whole Loading... Resuming... thing really bugs me on my 620, I'm trying to decide if the newer 6XX are worth upgrading to.

I could be wrong but I would think the memory would make a bigger difference with the loading and resuming issue. Do any of the newer 6xx models have more than 512MB of memory?

So i got the free accessory pack for my 930.

Comes with a £20 app voucher - any recommendations for apps i should spend it on?

Good youtube and universal media app would be good. Some games i guess aswell.

MyTube and MetroTube are both excellent YouTube apps.

What kind of games are you into?

Nero3000

I could be wrong but I would think the memory would make a bigger difference with the loading and resuming issue. Do any of the newer 6xx models have more than 512MB of memory?

MyTube and MetroTube are both excellent YouTube apps.

What kind of games are you into?

Puzzle, Strategy - preferably single player.

KageMaru

Puzzle, Strategy - preferably single player.

Check out Badlands, Heroes of fantasy, cloud raiders, and spectral souls. I've read pretty good things about every one of those.

No. Microsoft & Nokia are having some giggles releasing phones in 2014 with only 512MB of RAM.

I thought Nokia announced a low end phone with 1GB of ram but I guess I'm mistaken. I understand why they release budget phones with only 512MB of memory, the phones don't need much more to run good. However they should introduce a slightly more expensive budget phone with 1GB of memory.

Raistlin

So how shit is the M8's camera?

If something similar to the 930 doesn't hit AT&T or T-Mobile ... I might consider it.

Hopefully the One puts some pressure on MS/Nokia to get the ball rolling on revealing new devices.

Anyone have any WP8 Dev experience that could point me in the direction of some good tutorials? Looking to build an app in my free time. I have a lot of .NET/C# experience so they don't necessarily need to be beginners resources.

I can't imagine that HTC went ahead with the One for Windows without money from MS, so I don't think it's going to change their plans at all, since it is their plan, in a way. My guess would be a variation of the 930 coming soon, but the real push coming in Spring 2015 with Windows Phone 9.

If you already know C# you don't need to worry about learning much else. Just grab the Developer SDK, install it to visual studio and start off with a template. From there the main thing you have to learn is XAML which you should be able to pick the gist of after half an hour of looking. Error codes within intellisense are generally pretty helpful and if you need help just google and remember to preface the search with one of these keywords "XAML", "Windows Phone", "WinRT". If you want to interact with WebAPIs, grab HTTPClient and if you want to parse Json use Json.net, both which can be grabbed off of Nuget.

If you really need a tutorial, check out Channel9 and MSDN
Windows Phone 8 Development for Absolute Beginners
MSDN: How to create your first app for Windows Phone 8

Razdek

Banned
I can't imagine that HTC went ahead with the One for Windows without money from MS, so I don't think it's going to change their plans at all, since it is their plan, in a way. My guess would be a variation of the 930 coming soon, but the real push coming in Spring 2015 with Windows Phone 9.

So much optimism when they've proved time and time that they never push Windows Phone. I've never seen so much hype for WP 8.1 when the Dev preview came out to only to have it die over the next few months because of lack of hardware and slow update to the official release.

Commodore

So how shit is the M8's camera?

If something similar to the 930 doesn't hit AT&T or T-Mobile ... I might consider it.

That's the downside from all accounts. Man I don't want to downgrade my camera experience, but then on the other hand, it performs really well in benchmarks, even compared to all current cell phones. It has a bigger battery than the 930, faster processor, and a crappy camera. Shit, so conflicted about what to do about an upgrade. :/

If you already know C# you don't need to worry about learning much else. Just grab the Developer SDK, install it to visual studio and start off with a template. From there the main thing you have to learn is XAML which you should be able to pick the gist of after half an hour of looking. Error codes within intellisense are generally pretty helpful and if you need help just google and remember to preface the search with one of these keywords "XAML", "Windows Phone", "WinRT". If you want to interact with WebAPIs, grab HTTPClient and if you want to parse Json use Json.net, both which can be grabbed off of Nuget.

If you really need a tutorial, check out Channel9 and MSDN
Windows Phone 8 Development for Absolute Beginners
MSDN: How to create your first app for Windows Phone 8

Awesome, thanks for the info!

royalan

635 owners - how often are you seeing the 'Resuming' screen? Is it more usage dependent or is it specific apps?

From my experience it depends on the app.

I can use things like messaging and the browser and Whatsapp and even Nextgen Reader all at once without seeing a resuming screen while switching between them.

But anything involving music/video? You'll pretty much get "resuming" anytime you exit the app.

Luckily the load times are fast enough that it's not INCREDIBLY annoying. That said, I can't wait until I have the option to upgrade to a modern WP with more RAM. That you can only do that right now on Verizon sucks (Well, the 1520 phablet on AT&T).

From my experience it depends on the app.

I can use things like messaging and the browser and Whatsapp and even Nextgen Reader all at once without seeing a resuming screen while switching between them.

But anything involving music/video? You'll pretty much get "resuming" anytime you exit the app.

Luckily the load times are fast enough that it's not INCREDIBLY annoying. That said, I can't wait until I have the option to upgrade to a modern WP with more RAM. That you can only do that right now on Verizon sucks (Well, the 1520 phablet on AT&T).

Hmm. My use case would be IE, GroupMe and a Twitter app mainly. So nothing too intensive.

When I had my 920 I even got the resuming then. Is it virtually non existent in the current high end phones?

Nope. I heard too many horror stories.

Cyan has been released two weeks ago for my Vodafone 920 and I've yet to get it. What's fun is that the country variant of the 920 here is still "under testing". You'd think the unlocked version would get the updates first. Although Paul Thurrot has made the argument that unlocked versions would have to be approved by all carriers. I wonder if it's true.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cyan has been released two weeks ago for my Vodafone 920 and I've yet to get it. What's fun is that the country variant of the 920 here is still "under testing". You'd think the unlocked version would get the updates first. Although Paul Thurrot has made the argument that unlocked versions would have to be approved by all carriers. I wonder if it's true.

I went through the same thing. Everybody else got it but me. It's a mess.

Top Bottom