• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

okay, I need links to that replacement case

PRONTO!

All my GF has ever wanted was a cyan WP and through 1020 -> 635 -> 640 -> 950 it has always alluded her!

Edit: wait, is that one of those 4 buck Japanese ones?

Also day 3ish update

Nicks 950:
perfect, no crashes, no buggy apps, everything transferred perfectly

GF 950:
System updates didnt take, apps crashing, log-ins not working, hard reset and same results on effort #2, ughhhh

yea its one of those cheap CHINESE ones.. and its really decent quality, I only the lament the lack of the wireless charging, and I dont wanna rip out the one from my black cover.

nillapuddin

We are going on a weekend trip to see friends in Atlanta so I thought it was best that we use protection....

bJ8837ih.png

I picked these guys all up from Amazon, figure we can try em out and return the ones we dont like (can already tell the white wallet one is shit, but the mint one is nice, but I will leave the final decision to her)

I am using the clear Ghostek one right now and I quite like it so far. One I ordered didnt come yet

this one
pnWUObO.png

and I got alot of good feedback on reddit about it so Ill have to wait til next week for my decision.

yea its one of those cheap CHINESE ones.. and its really decent quality, I only the lament the lack of the wireless charging, and I dont wanna rip out the one from my black cover.

Awesome
ordered two!

oh come back chase

therein lies your problem ;)

nillapuddin

a few WTF's

no wordflow keyboard in Edge?

Camera
16 MP JPEG
8 MP JPEG
8 MP JPEG + 16 MP DNG

seems stupid to not have a 16 + 16 option

I mean, I knew I was taking a step down from the 1020, but people online made it still seem like it was a really nice shot, and some even better because of the software now..

so far Ive only been disappointed. the 1020 gave terrible photographers great quality pictures (my cats, my work, more of my cats, dinner)

So far I dont feel like my pictures are wowing at all. I dont want to have to keep a subpar version for myself, then download raw pictures to my computer, and then manipulate them for best results. Just doesnt seem right. idk, maybe Im just stupid and dont understand how these things work.

n64coder

a few WTF's

no wordflow keyboard in Edge?

Camera
16 MP JPEG
8 MP JPEG
8 MP JPEG + 16 MP DNG

seems stupid to not have a 16 + 16 option

I mean, I knew I was taking a step down from the 1020, but people online made it still seem like it was a really nice shot, and some even better because of the software now..

so far Ive only been disappointed. the 1020 gave terrible photographers great quality pictures (my cats, my work, more of my cats, dinner)

So far I dont feel like my pictures are wowing at all. I dont want to have to keep a subpar version for myself, then download raw pictures to my computer, and then manipulate them for best results. Just doesnt seem right. idk, maybe Im just stupid and dont understand how these things work.

Are you running the version of Windows 10 that came with your phone? There will be an update soon that will fix the wordflow edge issue. I'm running the slow ring developer preview and the word flow keyboard works in edge.

I have the 950XL and I think it takes better pictures than my 1020. Much faster by far.

It's kinda broken.

If you're using the stock Windows 10, then yes, I agree.

Welp, installed the Slow Ring on my Lumia Icon, made sure to factory reset it before doing anything.

Yup, battery still draining even when plugged in.
Yup, store literally can't download anything.

:/

KageMaru

Welp, installed the Slow Ring on my Lumia Icon, made sure to factory reset it before doing anything.

Yup, battery still draining even when plugged in.
Yup, store literally can't download anything.

:/

Odd works great for the most part on my Icon. Battery life still isn't as good as 8.1 but I don't think it'll ever reach that level of efficiency since the OS is doing more.

Waiting on reviews of the G5 when it launches. The 950/XL is just too unpredictable now for me to drop $650 on one. Maybe after some time away from WP, I'll come back with their next flagship phones. I've had this Icon since launch day and the battery life hasn't been the best lately, so I need something new.

Odd works great for the most part on my Icon. Battery life still isn't as good as 8.1 but I don't think it'll ever reach that level of efficiency since the OS is doing more.

Waiting on reviews of the G5 when it launches. The 950/XL is just too unpredictable now for me to drop $650 on one. Maybe after some time away from WP, I'll come back with their next flagship phones. I've had this Icon since launch day and the battery life hasn't been the best lately, so I need something new.

Are you on slow ring? Fast? "Release Preview"?

If it's downloading/updating the apps, you'll have to give it some time before you see any difference in battery life.

And I get that battery life would normally be yeah, shittier when updating and setting up and all that. But it's dropped 15% in the last hour... plugged in.

And of course MS Band still isn't working right. UGH.

It wasn't easy to find one for $30. They sold out quickly at Best Buy/Walmart. I was fortunate to grab one of the last ones at my local store.

Really? I guess I went on actual Thanksgiving day, but not until a couple hours after the store opened and there were still huge bins out in the middle of the floor full of 640s for $30.

ElNino

Did the hard reset to get out of the fast ring. What do I have to do to fix the stuck pending apps again?
They should mostly just fix themselves. Check the Store to see how many apps are updating, and then run another update. I had 94 apps updating I believe.

I just went back to the Preview ring from Fast today as well. Some things were better on Fast (scrolling seemed smoother and the System menu rarely crashed unlike the current branch), but the bugs with Bluetooth I was having on the Redstone branch are gone so I`ll stay here for now. Battery life seems much better today as well... but it`s only the first day. I was averaging around 4.5% an hour on Redstone and I'm down to 2.5% now.

n64coder

Really? I guess I went on actual Thanksgiving day, but not until a couple hours after the store opened and there were still huge bins out in the middle of the floor full of 640s for $30.

And then it went back to the normal price of $99+ after Black Friday.
In the past few weeks, Best Buy/Walmart dropped the price to $29 to clear out the remaining stock in preparation for the 650. Those are sold out in most places.

joshschw

2 hard resets. I think I'm good now. Maybe.

You reset via PC tool I assume? a hard reset wouldn't revert to a prior build.

I think half of peoples win10 problems in here are Lumia 950 problems honestly. those phones just seemed nowhere near ready for action and it was only in part due to the OS.

You reset via PC tool I assume? a hard reset wouldn't revert to a prior build.

I think half of peoples win10 problems in here are Lumia 950 problems honestly. those phones just seemed nowhere near ready for action and it was only in part due to the OS.
W10 is shitty on my 830 too. No major bugs but lacks a lot of polish all around.

Sordid

W10 is pretty great on my 1520 except for the fact there are next to no settings for the camera. Should there be more than this or are they tucked away somewhere else? I miss the tap to take a photo feature from W8.1

Edge, camera and games chew up battery like mad but when I'm only texting, e-mailing & Whatsapping I can't complain about the battery life.

Haven't had any crashes or anything like that either. I'm on 10.0.10586.164 if that makes any difference.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
welp. i jumped out and got a samsung galaxy s7. I just need a phone that works and despite a hard reset it still didnt work. I couldnt even do simple things like connect to my computer via USB where i could before the reset. Couldn't connect to my wireless ac could only connect to g.

i really wanted it to work its just super frustrating.

Thanks everyone for help along the way and i hope MS gets windows10 much better, maybe ill be back!

joshschw

W10 is shitty on my 830 too. No major bugs but lacks a lot of polish all around.

What do you define as polish? I would say the OS has lacked it for years now compared to wp7. Its never coming back because people didn't care how slick and smooth every aspect was.

welp. i jumped out and got a samsung galaxy s7. I just need a phone that works and despite a hard reset it still didnt work. I couldnt even do simple things like connect to my computer via USB where i could before the reset. Couldn't connect to my wireless ac could only connect to g.

i really wanted it to work its just super frustrating.

Thanks everyone for help along the way and i hope MS gets windows10 much better, maybe ill be back!

Enjoy your new purchase.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Oh you'll be back, Samsung phones have a tendency to impress heavily out of the box only to turn to massive garbage in a few months time. Also, their slow ass updates is super grating as well. I'd love to use an s7 for a few months though, the build and camera seem incredible.

Oh you'll be back, Samsung phones have a tendency to impress heavily out of the box only to turn to massive garbage in a few months time. Also, their slow ass updates is super grating as well. I'd love to use an s7 for a few months though, the build and camera seem incredible.

I can't wait to experience these issues first hand.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I use it on my phone to stream, although I have a Groove Pass subscription. I just opened it to check and it works fine. I hope they have a wm10 version in the works, would really stink if they didn't. I noticed that TuneIn Radio doesn't work on wm10 and doesn't have a uwp app.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I heard the Spotify news, this is crazy. The app is ranked so high on Marketplace.

I am pretty sure, lot of people uses it. I hope they don't discontinue, and release the damn W10 version.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Like I said in my other post I would love for microsoft to get its shit together.

If that happens with my s7 I'll deal with it. But part of why I got one is a very good friend of mine has a s6 edge and I used it in November and it was like night and day different from w10.

I just could not deal with the issues. I can't keep hard resetting my phone. Every time I do I have to put in a ticket to get my email fixed at work which is a complete pain in the ass. I need my work email on my phone.

Beyond that I've signed into every MS app on android that I had on my icon and aside from health the experience appears to be better on android.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't get giga. Did windows phone run over his dog, or is this just a reflection of his anti Microsoft, pro apple slant? Just weird how emotionally invested he is in the 3% platform.

nillapuddin

It's kinda broken.

Are you running the version of Windows 10 that came with your phone? There will be an update soon that will fix the wordflow edge issue. I'm running the slow ring developer preview and the word flow keyboard works in edge.

I have the 950XL and I think it takes better pictures than my 1020. Much faster by far.

so wordflow will be in, just messed up atm. I can live with that

as for the pics idk, I just feel like my 1020 pics were much better, might be rose tinted, it has been 9 months + or something

Faster, yes MUCH fas- ... Resuming ... -ter than my 1020.

Although, "Adding final touches" or whatever happens (indefinitely?) If I try to view a picture right after I take it.

nillapuddin

71XE0mC9NvL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160EQNGY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

✓ Would Recommend: Great fit and feel, vibrant (Kentucky!) Blue
$8

611p5cGS-tL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0173A1652/?tag=neogaf0e-20

✓ Would Recommend: Nice Magnetic clasp, feels very sturdy, no suction cups theres a case in the case, so phone will never fall out, very classy irl
$10
81mMu24RguL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017C8TNMI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

X AVOID: crappy build, crappy feel, subpar inner case, horribly ugy inside pattern
$10
71Wwl4BqzDL._SL1048_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016XKLY6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

✓ ✓ ✓ LOVE: Really really great tools in the package, top notch feel, best screen protector feel Ive ever had.
Only 8 BUCKS!

81bNwPtTWuL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016L425AG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

✓ ✓ Really Recommend: Very strong, nice feel in the hand, super tight fit, not alot of weight, still looks stylish. *Dropped phone from about 8 feet (Already! Oops!) landed directly on corner, barely scratched the black rim.
$20

Hopefully that helps someone make a decision someday

Paganmoon

Re: Spotify
Probably my most used app.
Re: News of discontinued support
HAH! They haven't updated the app since sometime in 2014, so this news is a little LTTP...

I don't get giga. Did windows phone run over his dog, or is this just a reflection of his anti Microsoft, pro apple slant? Just weird how emotionally invested he is in the 3% platform.

Oh, come on. It's called "having fun at the expense of others". It's not like none of us here weren't gloating, when Blackberry went down few years ago. It sucks being on the receiving end, but luckily I jumped ship just in time.

ZCJKp9k.gif

hadareud

The Translator
We'll see. Could also mean nothing and there's no W10 app coming at all.

If they are releasing a W10 app I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a mobile version too.

Top Bottom