• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

didnt know spotify was rumored to leave.

we seriously need to stop losing apps, it doesnt make any sense.

I mean I get the need to support the app, but why cant developers just leave them in their last version up on the store?

didnt know spotify was rumored to leave.

we seriously need to stop losing apps, it doesnt make any sense.

I mean I get the need to support the app, but why cant developers just leave them in their last version up on the store?

Because even leaving them up on the store counts as support. People download the app, use it, get problems and write the support team or file bug reports for something that isn't being developed anymore.

Paganmoon

Looks like the app is updated on the store (description for "News" is changed, but can't seem to "find" the update when searching on Win10Mobile, the app thinks it's on the latest version (even though in-app info says 5.1.5).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So any major rumors for Build 2016? Last year we all came out happy after iOS and Android bridge were announced, and till this day nothing actual has happened lol

hadareud

The Translator
Is it? I prefer it over Here, though to be fair I'm not using it for navigation.

Not that I actually liked Here navigation all that much, which is why I stopped using it years ago,.

Paganmoon

Here had much better info about surroundings (stores, restaurants and so on), even when I was in Thailand Here had that info. Maps, not so much, not sure why since I assume they use the same backend?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I actually liked Here in certain situations. Not good, but I'm not shocked given the split from Nokia. That said, is it doing well on Android? I would think competing against google maps and even Apple maps is not a good business to be in.

hadareud

The Translator
Writing was definitely on the wall.

Yeah, navigation especially. I tried Waze but that did not work out very well.
Maps is cumbersome to use in my opinion.

I need to try it out for navigation before I can comment. Waze works great for me (though I don't use the voice on it, which is awful), but I guess everyone has their preferences. Also depends on the country you're using it in, I guess.

I actually liked Here in certain situations. Not good, but I'm not shocked given the split from Nokia. That said, is it doing well on Android? I would think competing against google maps and even Apple maps is not a good business to be in.

They have over 10 million downloads on the Play Store and an average rating of 4.4/5 starts. I'd say they're doing okay.

Google Maps is cool, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's a nice big number of downloads, until you realize that Google maps, by being the default on Android, is over a billion.

I mean, Here knows better than me what their internal usage numbers are and will do what's best for them. And yeah, however many of those 10 million are active users is probably more than what they have on WP. Still, they probably could dominate maps on a tiny platform for likely a much smaller investment than being a small fish in a much bigger ocean and with much stiffer competition. But we've had this discussion before after a big app leaves.

MCD

HERE Maps saved my ass and made me love driving.

MS Maps must get better or this will be my breaking point.

JaggedSac

That's a nice big number of downloads, until you realize that Google maps, by being the default on Android, is over a billion.

I mean, Here knows better than me what their internal usage numbers are and will do what's best for them. And yeah, however many of those 10 million are active users is probably more than what they have on WP. Still, they probably could dominate maps on a tiny platform for likely a much smaller investment than being a small fish in a much bigger ocean and with much stiffer competition. But we've had this discussion before after a big app leaves.

I think they make most of their money by licensing out the data to companies. Consumer navigation probably doesn't net you much revenue.

Milchjon

lolWP

This OS is like watching a loved one dying slowly. Really makes me sad.

Oh well. Actually thinking about going for one of the S7s

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like Thurrott, but I also like when he puts his foot in his mouth. Windows Central posted a phone camera comparison article of smartphone cameras and made a comment "what is the clue this of from a windows phone blog". The article wasn't done by WC staff and is also on iMore, etc.

He is too quick to try and be edgy and funny.

I like Thurrott, but I also like when he puts his foot in his mouth. Windows Central posted a phone camera comparison article of smartphone cameras and made a comment "what is the clue this of from a windows phone blog". The article wasn't done by WC staff and is also on iMore, etc.

He is too quick to try and be edgy and funny.

In my defense, there's no problem with that, when you're absolutely more likely to be right than wrong.

Alright, so here's the deal. I'm going to sign up for basically any company that's gone ahead and put out UWA versions of their apps. Yes, I'm going to sign up for and use services because they are supporting WP10.

So far I've got Twitter and Spotify, and (FINALLY) Line. What else good is there?
Oh and I guess I need a podcast app here soon.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There's a lot of uwp apps out there, one way to check is to look for the words "built for windows 10" below the app name.

Twitter app is nice. Grover Pro is a uwp podcast app with cloud sync to the desktop version, but it's in beta still and kind of rough. TripAdvisor is also a good uwp app with support. But honestly, there are too many to name. I just downloaded a game, King of Thieves, that's a uwp app and it's fun. Plus, for whatever reason, the fantastic Two Dots game, that's also on Android and iOS, is a uwp app on wm10 with continuum support and almost weekly updates. Just terrific effort from that team on this platform.

There's a lot of uwp apps out there, one way to check is to look for the words "built for windows 10" below the app name.

Twitter app is nice. Grover Pro is a uwp podcast app with cloud sync to the desktop version, but it's in beta still and kind of rough. TripAdvisor is also a good uwp app with support. But honestly, there are too many to name. I just downloaded a game, King of Thieves, that's a uwp app and it's fun. Plus, for whatever reason, the fantastic Two Dots game, that's also on Android and iOS, is a uwp app on wm10 with continuum support and almost weekly updates. Just terrific effort from that team on this platform.

Oh wow, sounds awesome.

Is there a way in the Store to just search by those?

Alright, so here's the deal. I'm going to sign up for basically any company that's gone ahead and put out UWA versions of their apps. Yes, I'm going to sign up for and use services because they are supporting WP10.

So far I've got Twitter and Spotify, and (FINALLY) Line. What else good is there?
Oh and I guess I need a podcast app here soon.

Deezer is way more Windows-friendly than Spotify right now. Spotify are umming and ahhhing based on whether there's sufficient demand - the Deezer UW app is already in Beta.

Otherwise, Instagram just got a UWA, Facebook (and Messenger) are either there or on-the-way too. Foursquare, Dropbox and Netflix have UWAs, as does Wolfram Alpha (though it's of limited use to most people).

Deezer is way more Windows-friendly than Spotify right now. Spotify are umming and ahhhing based on whether there's sufficient demand - the Deezer UW app is already in Beta.

Otherwise, Instagram just got a UWA, Facebook (and Messenger) are either there or on-the-way too. Foursquare, Dropbox and Netflix have UWAs, as does Wolfram Alpha (though it's of limited use to most people).

Glad to hear about Facebook. I'll install the UWA for Netflix, though since my phone loses battery on the charger with the screen on, I doubt I'll use it much.
What's foursquare?

Top Bottom