• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

There's a lot of uwp apps out there, one way to check is to look for the words "built for windows 10" below the app name.

Twitter app is nice. Grover Pro is a uwp podcast app with cloud sync to the desktop version, but it's in beta still and kind of rough. TripAdvisor is also a good uwp app with support. But honestly, there are too many to name. I just downloaded a game, King of Thieves, that's a uwp app and it's fun. Plus, for whatever reason, the fantastic Two Dots game, that's also on Android and iOS, is a uwp app on wm10 with continuum support and almost weekly updates. Just terrific effort from that team on this platform.

I really wish MS could force mobile games to include achievements. I would play so many more if they did.

ElNino

New Twitter looks nice, but you can't disable autoplay videos and looks like you still can't view Instagram pics without going to Edge. I'll probably stick with Tweetium for now.

New Twitter looks nice, but you can't disable autoplay videos and looks like you still can't view Instagram pics without going to Edge. I'll probably stick with Tweetium for now.

The Instagram thing is a Twitter limitation. They took the Instagram preview out few years ago, after twitter allowed you to upload your pictures through their own service.

ElNino

The Instagram thing is a Twitter limitation. They took the Instagram preview out few years ago, after twitter allowed you to upload your pictures through their own service.
Yes, but other Twitter apps show them in-app and don't require you to go to the browser.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yes, these are apps we've had before and there's still no snapchat and Instagram is dragging their feet and Messenger is taking forever etc......

All that said, these uwp apps are really nice, the twitter app is fast, fluid, impressive. I also had almost 20 app updates this morning, from 1st and 3rd party apps. The production build has been stable and had real fixes. I don't know, I feel like we've started to turn a corner after all the negativity of the last month.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the new twitter update, but one thing it is missing over Tweetium for me is inline responses to notifications and transparent tile.

Milchmann

In light of the Here news my Lumia 640 commited seppuku apparently. I want to send the phone for repair but the Microsoft support site is buggy itself and I only get error messages.

So with W10 apps coming to X1 in the summer...does this potentially mean that X1 apps, like HBO Go, Amazon Instant Video, Twitch, etc., are coming to W10M?

Is that fair?

Probably not, but what is?

Is it fair having to witness what the platform was in 2010 and what it has become in 2016?

So with W10 apps coming to X1 in the summer...does this potentially mean that X1 apps, like HBO Go, Amazon Instant Video, Twitch, etc., are coming to W10M?

Those apps would be Windows 8.1 apps and not W10 apps.

no Surface Phone rumors?

That one's getting Mini'd.

There's a possibility, but they need to update those apps to UWP and then allow desktop and mobile users. So probably they do it themselves or Microsoft forces their hands with an API update, but there's also the option of making them Xbox exclusives. It's a developer decision.

W10M is rolling out now to the likes of the 435, 735, 830, 930.

Install the upgrade advisor to check and get it.
I don't think blocking the upgrade behind an app will do wonders for the update rate. Is this to bypass the carriers?

I don't know I really don't follow this as well as you guys haha. Though I can't even find the app so I'm gonna guess that Verizon is blocking it for my Icon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Powered on my 830, forgot I had 10 on it anyways. Phone still looks and feels great. Shame it wasn't cheaper at launch and had the proper firmware.

I always forget to ask you, but you work at Microsoft?

Yeah he is head of microwave programming.

4cadb3c8efb2ef6f8827f5f127028820.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
It's a 3 1/2 year old phone. At some point devices need cutting off. 42 or so months of OS updates is something just about every owner of a smart phone can only dream of.

Leaving people behind? Backlash? Come on. If there's a backlash people should be told to get to fuck.

Top Bottom